A sequel? Nah, not this one

Nubs70

I agree that the scenario you outline is probably pretty common and likely to be interpreted by uberfans as bias against our beloved attractions.

Surveys are commissioned by different departments for different reasons. Though they fall into the "customer satisfaction" category, they are likely to be prompted by a desire for feedback about a specific issue/attraction/initiative/service/idea. As such, there are different goals for the surveys.

But I also think (based on my own non-Disney professional experience) that not only are surveys biased in determining what questions to ask (the scope of the survey), but also in the interpretation of the data and later use of the data to support pre-determined agendas.

I don't think Disney commissions a survey just to get positive feedback to pat themselves on the back with. That does seem like conspiracy theory territory. But I do think Disney Execs (perhaps inspired by Walt himself) often engage in a bit of assumption, where they presume to know what the guest wants/needs despite what the data shows. I have no sources to support this theory.

I'm not aware of Disney doing any more open-ended, focus-group-type survey work. I have been interviewed several times about my experience at the parks, though, and rarely were the multiple choice answers I was asked to choose from representative of the feedback I really wanted to give.
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being lowest and 10 being highest, please pick from 8, 9 or 10.

ImperfectPixie

The easiest way to see if a survey is biased or not is to look extraordinarily carefully at the wording of the question and answer choices given. If you analyze the language chosen, leading words that tend to evoke emotions will let you know if the survey is generally rigged.

I'm an English major who picked up education as a second major, with a specialization in instructional design, which includes everything from elementary school lessons to corporate training...creating and implementing surveys was part of my studies.

In my experience...a decent percentage of Disney's surveys are rigged with one or more specific results in mind.

JoeCamel

The easiest way to see if a survey is biased or not is to look extraordinarily carefully at the wording of the question and answer choices given. If you analyze the language chosen, leading words that tend to evoke emotions will let you know if the survey is generally rigged.

I'm an English major who picked up education as a second major, with a specialization in instructional design, which includes everything from elementary school lessons to corporate training...creating and implementing surveys was part of my studies.

In my experience...a decent percentage of Disney's surveys are rigged with one or more specific results in mind.
They also add bias right off the bat selecting who even gets a survey. I have never had an inpark survey, I tour alone most of the time so that is probably why.

crispy

With respect, Disney guest satisfaction surveys haven't been actual surveys in over 10 years. The questions are targeted and the response choices are limited. They're designed to do nothing but feed a confirmation bias maintained by Disney management...nothing else.

Has anyone taken a guest satisfaction survey in the past 10 years where you have been able to express exactly why you have been satisfied or unsatisfied with something Disney Parks has done? Or did the survey feed you a very limited choice of answers? The answer will almost always be the later.
I have said the exact same thing. I love surveys so I take every one that is sent to me, and I have noticed the answers on Disney surveys tend to not allow feedback. There have been times when I had a good experience overall but wanted to offer a suggestion or point out and an area that could be improved, but their surveys won't allow it. In many of their surveys, they don't ask for why you rated something a certain way unless it is a very high score - "Why did you give this a 10? Is there a specific cast member who helped us achieve this score?" They seem designed to only solicit positive feedback.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Right!? That's crazy. Could have done it for a third of that just using an off the shelf coaster and some VR gear. Not ideal but hellalot cheaper. Although 450 still seems like a ballooned amount. I can't imagine Disney "OKing" that budget. Crazy to think. What a waste.
Budgets can never be trusted at face value with Disney. There’s always multiple angles or “outs” in them...
Thank the Polynesian gods that the tower at the Poly was nixed. Holy christ, are they really just saying screw theming as long as the almighty money god is pleased!?
Don’t breathe too easy. That’s a timeshare tower and it’s time will come.

As it stands though...I’d keep my eye on some of the longhouse at the GF for the next move

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Thank the Polynesian gods that the tower at the Poly was nixed. Holy christ, are they really just saying screw theming as long as the almighty money god is pleased!?
Money Tiki is appeased...
1599595749643.png

_caleb

Having a completely open ended survey where people can just rant on and on about something sort of defeats the point of the survey though. Every survey is bias but I have never taken a Disney one that struck me as being absurdly leading.
I'm not sure anyone is talking about a completely open-ended survey where people can just rant on and on about anything. I'm certainly not. But can you remember a time when you were asked a more open-ended qualitative-type question?

I've been asked questions as part of "customer satisfaction surveys" and left thinking that there was no way Disney would be able to tell–simply by my selection of one of the four responses I was given to choose from–how satisfied I may have been.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Virtual queues don't need need to be on all the time, they could, in theory, be switched on or off based on demand. They could also still require some wait, like 30 minutes, before open and another 30 minutes before guests are allowed through, say, old FP+ lines.

As an example, say it's 10:30 and there's a 40 minute wait. Virtual queue is activated but doesn't begin until 40 minutes later at 11:10. Guests can then decide between the traditional stand-by queue and the virtual queue.

This could keep some capacity in the traditional stand-by line from over overcrowding the park. It also allows Disney to sell paid FP that could use the virtual queue line. Or maybe the paid thing is allowing more than one virtual queue at the same time.

RSoxNo1

That is not correct. What would Disney gain by spending significant time and money to generate surveys with artificially positive answers that mask how guests really feel?

No, you cannot express "exactly how you feel" but it's not some kind of tinfoil conspiracy. When you survey 1,000 different people and give them freedom to answer "exactly how they feel" you get 1,000 different responses. You need to narrow the choices so you can do some analysis with standardized data.

Everyone likes to say "Disney doesn't care about the guest experience," which is complete nonsense. No they don't care about the guest experience as such, but they absolutely care about the guest experience insofar as they want to to come back and spend more money with them and tell your friends what a great time you had so your friends will spend THEIR money with Disney too.
It is very rare that a survey question has a free form text box that is relevant to current fan complaints.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So the difference would be...?
I mean...that could result in little if any access to some rides...meaning that standard day would be diminished...which then would force restrictions...which then some genius at Casa de Dwarf would monetize into separate tickets for the same things on the same days...and then they might shave hours for that stuff too!

...we’d never want that to happen to OUR Disney.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Virtual queues don't need need to be on all the time, they could, in theory, be switched on or off based on demand. They could also still require some wait, like 30 minutes, before open and another 30 minutes before guests are allowed through, say, old FP+ lines.

As an example, say it's 10:30 and there's a 40 minute wait. Virtual queue is activated but doesn't begin until 40 minutes later at 11:10. Guests can then decide between the traditional stand-by queue and the virtual queue.

This could keep some capacity in the traditional stand-by line from over overcrowding the park. It also allows Disney to sell paid FP that could use the virtual queue line. Or maybe the paid thing is allowing more than one virtual queue at the same time.
Disney parks are MASS formula models. They are designed for and profitable at high numbers.

Turning things arbitrarily on and off is not possible.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In normal busy times, they're only a wretched ordeal.

Big difference.
I believe the inference it would be almost identical to fastpass+

And it would. Some complex hassle of planning combined with staring at your rotten apple all day to shark for rides...

...and then come to places such as this to profess how “great” it is and you never have a problem...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom