Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDebRob

I don’t understand, and never will why some people will think because they are out and about that anyone who is not doing that is afraid. I’m not talking to anyone here , just making a comment. If you want to go out and do whatever, great. Doesn’t mean people who don’t are afraid. They may have totally different situations with family or their personal health. Maybe they just are enjoying things that they never did before because they were always out before this started. Whatever the reasons.. people who aren’t going out as much should not be labeled afraid. As with people going out every day should not be labeled as stupid and not caring about others. As long as they are being safe that is.

rowrbazzle

Depending on other people to do the heavy lifting?
Seems risky to me. Someone who is in the healthcare field likely faces greater exposure to Covid and to people with compromised immune systems. I would think healthcare workers would do things like get vaccinations, not just for themselves, but for their patients. There's a reason many hospitals require employees to get the flu shot.

Lora Baines Bradley

You might be the basement of this forum with comments like that. And technically your wrong i have seen basements. They are just very rare.
If poking fun at the state you live in is so awful, then so be it. Lol

Also I think that last bit was directed at someone else that said there are no basements in Florida?

Miss Bella

Do tell...what is your secret to being invincible against COVID?
Who said I’m invincible? I don’t want to get into a vaccine debate. Everyone has that right to choose what medicatios they want to take or not take. If you think medications should be forced on people you should have that debate with someone other me.

MickeyLuv'r

People aren’t eye rolling about herd immunity from a vaccine, that’s in reference to natural herd immunity. There was never a successful vaccine for anything until the first one was created. Has there ever been a serious effort to make a coronavirus vaccine that failed? Did several hundred companies worldwide all focus on a coronavirus vaccine in the past and all fail collectively? Did major governments around the world pump hundreds of billions of dollars into that research? It’s repeated continuously that there’s never been a coronavirus vaccine in the past as a good reason it won’t succeed but without context that’s not necessarily a good indicator of the current situation. At least in the case of the Oxford group their vaccine started out as a MERS vaccine which worked in phase 1 trials and more importantly proved safe over the long term but they couldn’t prove efficacy because MERS is so rare and the outbreaks so short lived that they never got to the point where they could get a good placebo group to “get infected naturally”.

I don’t know about the 20% thing but if that’s true and 50% of the population gets the vaccine then we are done even if the vaccine is only 50% effective. That’s a real good outcome. I think many more people will eventually get the vaccine than a flu shot but it will take time. Once this horrible election cycle ends and the fear of political influence over a vaccine dies down more people will get onboard. Recent polls show that the number of people willing to get the vaccine is dropping but I think that’s more due to politics than actual fear of the vaccine.

There were precursors to vaccines. Smallpox was first vaccine. I was just reading up about it before I posted the other day. I suggest following up if anyone wants to know more.

The idea of the vaccine sprung up from vaccine precursors. It was known that people only contracted smallpox once. If they survived, they couldn't get it again. Before there was vaccine, inoculation existed- inoculare - from Latin = to graft. Also called variolation. They took tissue from a smallpox pustule, and used a lancet to stick it into a person who had never had it. Mostly it worked. This was long practiced in Africa, India and China well before the idea traveled to Europe. Women from those places didn't have scars on their faces, though it wasn't perfect. Variolation carried a small risk of starting an outbreak, or passing along another blood bourn pathogen (like syphilis).

Edward Jenner observed that people who had the less harmful cowpox also had immunity from smallpox. He developed the idea - more or less- of inoculating people with cowpox instead of smallpox. The word vaccine comes from the Latin word for cow - vacca. This was around 1796.

GimpYancIent

There were precursors to vaccines. Smallpox was first vaccine. I was just reading up about it before I posted the other day. I suggest following up if anyone wants to know more.

The idea of the vaccine sprung up from vaccine precursors. It was known that people only contracted smallpox once. If they survived, they couldn't get it again. Before there was vaccine, inoculation existed- inoculare - from Latin = to graft. Also called variolation. They took tissue from a smallpox pustule, and used a lancet to stick it into a person who had never had it. Mostly it worked. This was long practiced in Africa, India and China well before the idea traveled to Europe. Women from those places didn't have scars on their faces, though it wasn't perfect. Variolation carried a small risk of starting an outbreak, or passing along another blood bourn pathogen (like syphilis).

Edward Jenner observed that people who had the less harmful cowpox also had immunity from smallpox. He developed the idea - more or less- of inoculating people with cowpox instead of smallpox. The word vaccine comes from the Latin word for cow - vacca. This was around 1796.
Yes, a vaccine is an effective weapon but not a magic bullet. A vaccine is not a 100% answer as there is a broad spectrum of effectiveness depending on the disease and specific strain. It takes people adapting modified behaviors, therapeutics in addition to a vaccine to have the desired effect. All that with the caveat the disease is here and it is not going away any time soon.

BigThunderMatt

Who said I’m invincible? I don’t want to get into a vaccine debate. Everyone has that right to choose what medicatios they want to take or not take. If you think medications should be forced on people you should have that debate with someone other me.

Yes because the "research" anti-vaxxers use to justify their beliefs is about as rock-solid as the "research" flat-earthers try to use that proves the earth isn't round (spoiler alert: their research proved the earth was, in-fact, round).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom