News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

trainplane3

Does anyone happen to have the photo that @marni1971 posted a while back of one of the Future World concepts that left the Innoventiosns buildings in tact? Looks like I didn't save it.
I assume these ones:
CC 2019 Martin.jpeg

Unused Epcot overhaul.jpeg

I have a little @marni1971 gallery on my computer.

They planned to knock out the breezeway anyway, they could very easily do the other three quadrants right now and build back SW on it's own. No breezeway means no need to connect it back to the existing structure. Seems like such a simple and obvious move.

I don't know what was planned for the "robot expo" on that map, but I would have loved an audio-animatronic exhibit, with "skinless" AAs operating and demonstrating AA technology from the 1950s to the present.

trainplane3

They planned to knock out the breezeway anyway, they could very easily do the other three quadrants right now and build back SW on it's own. No breezeway means no need to connect it back to the existing structure. Seems like such a simple and obvious move.
Heck, they could tweak it a bit, stick a second floor on a chuck of it, plant some trees, stick a bar, and still get their upcharge table while maintaining better symmetry, much better expansion possibilities, and a large area of shade and storm cover.
CC 2019 Martin modified.jpg

Poor edit but the black squiggles are spiral stairs, ramp, and elevator (roughly where it is currently).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Heck, they could tweak it a bit, stick a second floor on a chuck of it, plant some trees, stick a bar, and still get their upcharge table while maintaining better symmetry, much better expansion possibilities, and a large area of shade and storm cover.
View attachment 494762
Poor edit but the black squiggles are spiral stairs, ramp, and elevator (roughly where it is currently).
Oi! Do you mind not scribbling on my scribble!

😂

DreamfinderGuy

I don't know what was planned for the "robot expo" on that map, but I would have loved an audio-animatronic exhibit, with "skinless" AAs operating and demonstrating AA technology from the 1950s to the present.
Mr. Unscrupulous said it would tie into a Wall-E theatre show, but gave no more specifics on that. All I can say is it'd be a better use of the space than what's there now.

lazyboy97o

Sometimes what seems simple is not always simple. Demolition done with no concern for reuse could have damaged significant systems. A rebuilt southwest building, if it could not be legally considered the same building as the northwest one, could easily result in an expensive but dreary corridor.

View attachment 494762
An intensive green roof requires a lot but I really think the CommuniCore structures could have made it work. Not just one quadrant but all of them along with a renovation focused on sustainable design practices that could have been showcased.

Last edited:

DreamfinderGuy

Sometimes what seems simple is not always simple. Demolition done with no concern for reuse could have damaged significant systems. A rebuilt southwest building, if it could not be legally considered the same building as the northwest one, could easily result in an expensive but dreary corridor.
They kept the Northwest quadrant and breezeway open after Southwest was fully removed. The utilidor access points are still there. Of course it wouldn’t legally be the same structure, but it could remain structurally identical to the original, or even innovate a little like @trainplane3 proposed.

lazyboy97o

They kept the Northwest quadrant and breezeway open after Southwest was fully removed. The utilidor access points are still there. Of course it wouldn’t legally be the same structure, but it could remain structurally identical to the original, or even innovate a little like @trainplane3 proposed.
Buildings are a lot more than just the structure. Demolition for renovation is a lot different than demolition for demolition. Just because the building is still safety standing doesn’t mean other components were not damaged in a manner that would be costly to return to service. I also said legal building, not structure. Separate buildings require a mix of either physical distance and/or fire rating that is not required of two walls that are part of the same building. Structurally, it would likely not be identical as there have been 40 years of building code changes.

Sir_Cliff

They think it sounds more “boutique“ like?

Maybe it’s a British thing but the first meaning that came to my mind is what Americans call an alternate on a team. In other words, the back-up option. So if I was told I would be staying in the Swan Reserve, I’d be asking for a move, pronto! 😲
As an Australian, it conjured up images of a park with a lake in the middle.

I looked up Swan Reserve, and found plenty of pictures of such places across the land down under and some sad news:

Swan Reserve public toilets delayed as Warrnambool City Council waits on a part

The public toilets do look very fancy, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom