A sequel? Nah, not this one

Animaniac93-98

It seems like it’s all or nothing at Disney for a trip less than 10 days. We always took day trips to universal but never take day trips to Disney when visiting Uni. $500 for a day at MK is nonsense.

The problem for me is that the WDW parks no longer justify 7-10 day visits. I'd prefer to visit the other Orlando parks when I'm there and the cost of staying on-site for that long to maximize the time spent at WDW is too much as well.

The last two years I've just bought MNSSHP admission for MK and done other things.

Animaniac93-98

Capacity is a net equation, to claim removed capacity is irrelevant is disingenuous. Capacity is also relative. Disney has for years been trying to keep attractions per guest per hour as low as possible and experiences per day to around eight. These additions were just enough, and some rushed, to keep satisfaction levels at an acceptable level. They were not additions intended to raise attractions per guest per hour into the sweet spot of 1.5 - 2.

Friendly reminder that Disney's "8 [7.4] attractions in a day" metric was determined in the late 90s/early 2000s when the cost of admission was less than half of what it is now for a one-day ticket, and yet we're still supposed to be satisfied with that same number despite paying more.

Also Disney has broadened their definition of "attraction" to include "experiences" like meet 'n greets and games.

flutas

First, I really don't think that most of the people going to EPCOT are only going there to drink.

I didn't until an experience a few weeks ago.

Let me set the stage, you're walking through in front of norway, it's a hot 90 something degree day, everyone is wearing masks due to the ongoing pandemic.

While walking along the path you notice a young woman not looking so good. Suddenly she stops, pulls her mask down to her neck and projectile vomits. She glances up, looks around then pausing only briefly plugs one nostril and breathes out forcefully. This is shortly followed by the same routine with the other nostril. Both times ejecting a small amount of liquid. She then proceeds to pull her mask up and carry on as if nothing happened.

Less than 10 seconds later, while I am still stuck there mouth agape in shock. No less than 3 families stroll right through the splash down zone without a second though or a second glance.

Needless to say, that uh changed my opinion on epcot... That was some practiced stuff.

Animaniac93-98

Some more words on Epcot: the attractions there blow and everyone knows it. New Test Track did not age well. I did some ride thrus with guests in 2019 because my first ride had unexpected "LOL that was boring and basically sucked" convos on the exit run. Did another couple of laps... same outcome. The ride sucks. The high speed loops outside are the only thing going for it.

The problem with Test Track now is that it was originally slated to open in 1997 and since then the technology has been put to use in attractions that are much more about the experience than the ride system itself (Radiator Springs Racers, Journey to the Center of the Earth). It was a Test Run for a new type of ride, but it the vehicle system and track can only take the attraction so far.

Time for it to become a real dark ride with a thrilling climax. My dream is a hybrid of WoM and TT with the indoor part being like the old ride before a "race to the future".

I don't dislike the current version of TT and think it's better than the old, but I can see why someone would go "....that's it?"

Mission: Space -- nobody cares about this damn ride. WDI has a weird affinity for the thing. They got the same weird attachment to MouseGear and some of the other modern Epcot things that frankly, totally suck. I don't get it. Seems like they rammed the Space restaurant next to the ride in a last ditch effort to keep the building relevant.

It's one of the last non-IP rides added to WDW and again was more about the ride system than the experience [notice a pattern?].

BUT the idea of a Space pavilion in EPCOT is so obvious and strong that maybe they think it'll eventually be worthy of the park? The updated ride and new restaurant have improved the pavilion IMO.

Brer Panther

Prior to the pandemic the parks were designed for you to do just enough to be satisfied and not more, which is below industry standards. They want you in crowds and waiting around, hopefully making some impulse purchases and paying more for things like staying on site for early access to FastPass+ or other uncharge events. They're adding just enough for people to stay satisfied, but not nearly as satisfied as they are now that deliberate crowding is verboten. The Magic Kingdom, the world's busiest theme park has abandoned attraction and retail space and less dining capacity than 30 years ago. Dining makes money, but someone figured out people will grumble but go along and wait while costs can be lowered. That has been the strategy, make people just miserable enough.
Has it always been this way, or is it an Iger thing?

Sir_Cliff

The third, if I count correctly.

The first Poly tower died in 1970.
View attachment 495187
Good lord, they used to produce such beautiful concept art.

Too often these days, it ends up looking like this:
gHYoVtafTFK9mZZO_Z7ZU_2Qwx3340NYccIFSj3N_luM4E4TM34bmkNpyWBKtqQeFqH9LAbcTtYSb1XkSMqTiaGCtIUs4-iS8dcj9UoFUGGaJEOoJKcgdHsVwB30Wjite39ermyvQUYgNp9-Oq6780ohdFWgWrgkOBt-rmNZKedk-w

UNCgolf

Not to create a conspiracy theory, but MS is the only attraction that I’ve been on that is always 30-40 minutes less of a wait than the time posted.

Basically every Disney ride has an inflated posted wait time, but it's usually more like 15-20 minutes, not 30+.

DoleWhipDrea

Not to create a conspiracy theory, but MS is the only attraction that I’ve been on that is always 30-40 minutes less of a wait than the time posted.

Actually prior to the shutdown, I was noticing that this was happening for nearly every attraction in EPCOT. SSE was shown having somewhere between a 45-65 minute wait and it was 15 minutes. I actually talked a couple that was getting in line behind me out of skipping it due to the gentleman worrying about the wait length. When we got to the front, both thanked me for filling them in.

I absolutely believe that CMs at Disney have purposefully inflated wait times, potentially to protect some of the attractions from getting the boot? But that’s just a theory.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Actually prior to the shutdown, I was noticing that this was happening for nearly every attraction in EPCOT. SSE was shown having somewhere between a 45-65 minute wait and it was 15 minutes. I actually talked a couple that was getting in line behind me out of skipping it due to the gentleman worrying about the wait length. When we got to the front, both thanked me for filling them in.

I absolutely believe that CMs at Disney have purposefully inflated wait times, potentially to protect some of the attractions from getting the boot? But that’s just a theory.

I blame guests who never turn in the red card.

After many years, the time length of those never-turned-in cards bump up the overall average wait time!!

yensidtlaw1969

Good lord, they used to produce such beautiful concept art.

Too often these days, it ends up looking like this:
gHYoVtafTFK9mZZO_Z7ZU_2Qwx3340NYccIFSj3N_luM4E4TM34bmkNpyWBKtqQeFqH9LAbcTtYSb1XkSMqTiaGCtIUs4-iS8dcj9UoFUGGaJEOoJKcgdHsVwB30Wjite39ermyvQUYgNp9-Oq6780ohdFWgWrgkOBt-rmNZKedk-w

I maintain that the lowest-low was when Disney released this art to announce the new Animatronic Dragon added to Disneyland's Fantasmic in 2009:

1599280901984.png

Yes, this was real and released without irony.

That said, I yearn desperately for the days of Herb Ryman, and Dorothea Redmond:

(John Hench too, but it won't let me attach the picture!)

1599281140086.png
1599281120525.png

Last edited:

Goofnut1980

Out of curiosity I was looking at prices for park tickets in October:

1-day starts at $120+ tax, but most days it's more than that

3-day starts at $351 + tax (!!)

5-day is $482 + tax, still almost $100/day (!!!!)

Only when you commit to 7-days does the per-day price become more reasonable, but you're still dropping about $550 per adult after tax. And that's a base ticket. No park hopping or water parks. I paid less for my 3-park Universal Orlando AP.

I don't know how people justify paying these prices, even if everything was open as normal.
I agree. But folks wonder why they will let a day pass in before an AP. They make money on a day pass. APs are so little in cost for Florida. In California I paid $1300 for my AP in September. But in Florida my Gold Pass was like $650. Twice the parks and half the price.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Was this going to be an Aulani looking tower? I’m assuming it would have gone in the current parking lot?
@marni1971 isn’t this at least the second Poly tower to get cancelled?
This one was DVC phase 2...

There was a layout leaked years ago that showed conversion, road work around the magic kingdom entry plaza, and a tower built in TTC Ground near seven seas drive on the other side of the beams...

Those were completely disavowed.

Since Disney has done conversion and road work around the magic kingdom entry place...I’m sure completely unrelated 😳

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Out of curiosity I was looking at prices for park tickets in October:

1-day starts at $120+ tax, but most days it's more than that

3-day starts at $351 + tax (!!)

5-day is $482 + tax, still almost $100/day (!!!!)

Only when you commit to 7-days does the per-day price become more reasonable, but you're still dropping about $550 per adult after tax. And that's a base ticket. No park hopping or water parks. I paid less for my 3-park Universal Orlando AP.

I don't know how people justify paying these prices, even if everything was open as normal.
Umm...did you miss the part where they really don’t want to be open and they are gonna make everyone pay through the nose if you force them
To take you??

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom