A sequel? Nah, not this one

Jrb1979

While I understand the argument, I'm not sure I believe that data - especially since the data gathered has had the slant of downplaying APs. Numbers are numbers at some point, especially with what we're seeing. Obviously time will tell. But, there is no way around Sea World and Universal getting money from me on a weekly basis that Disney would otherwise be getting. And, those are empty slots in their parks - not slots being taken by someone else. So, it is lost revenue.
You can get into the parks anytime you want but it will cost you. Get a room in property for the night and you can get in.

The_Jobu

Six figures and a shot at the heavyweight title
giphy.gif

Jrb1979

They have priced me out years ago. Considering the last 2 years I have been going to Florida its cost me for my room and flight $800 for a week flying from Buffalo. I would never pay Disney prices to be surrounded by pixie dust all week.

aladdin2007

After being in Epcot yesterday its a sad sad park, was almost on the verge of depressing to me. Disney made an absolute mess for themselves with the unnecessary demolition. Nothing is open except the main rides, there is no atmosphere anymore, no entertainment (for all the reasons we know of course), only about four table service dining options etc, we ate the coral reef and it was totally empty. With all the circumstances going on plus the stupidity choices they made for changes its had the life sucked out of it. even the stores are not open anymore except for maybe one side or spot in each pavilion, the rest are shuttered.

Also of course this horrendous heat is not helping either and like already mentioned no park hopping and the headache of dealing with a park reservation. There is just no incentive to go passholder or not. Disney has a deep valley to climb its way out of with this park and its clearly not going to be any time soon. Sure its nice with no crowds but its the worst Ive ever seen it. It was a way too quiet ghost town. yet the line for frozen extends to china, that was the only exciting thing fun to watch. They could at least bring back impressions a few times during the day, no one is bothering with the lame singalong.

and regarding the polynesian tower, I really do hope that is truly canceled, they are just going to keep ruining the beautiful original surroundings. Is the plan still on to turn the grand floridian into a princess suites hotel? :banghead:

Lora Baines Bradley

After being in Epcot yesterday its a sad sad park, was almost on the verge of depressing to me. Disney made an absolute mess for themselves with the unnecessary demolition. Nothing is open except the main rides, there is no atmosphere anymore, no entertainment (for all the reasons we know of course), only about four table service dining options etc, we ate the coral reef and it was totally empty. With all the circumstances going on plus the stupidity choices they made for changes its had the life sucked out of it. even the stores are not open anymore except for maybe one side or spot in each pavilion, the rest are shuttered.

Also of course this horrendous heat is not helping either and like already mentioned no park hopping and the headache of dealing with a park reservation. There is just no incentive to go passholder or not. Disney has a deep valley to climb its way out of with this park and its clearly not going to be any time soon. Sure its nice with no crowds but its the worst Ive ever seen it. It was a way too quiet ghost town. yet the line for frozen extends to china, that was the only exciting thing fun to watch. They could at least bring back impressions a few times during the day, no one is bothering with the lame singalong.

and regarding the polynesian tower, I really do hope that is truly canceled, they are just going to keep ruining the beautiful original surroundings. Is the plan still on to turn the grand floridian into a princess suites hotel? :banghead:
IMO, they should have taken the opportunity to keep Epcot closed. They can't really be making that much $ from it, can they? It can't be cost effective to keep it open, especially if you factor in guest experience.

Epcot82Guy

You can get into the parks anytime you want but it will cost you. Get a room in property for the night and you can get in.

That's the point. The fact they are renewing and creating these separate classes is not going unnoticed. I personally have already talked to 4 groups of friends who were thinking of coming down, noting the crowds are low. Each of them I told them I couldn't get in, so I wouldn't be able to join them (since $50 a day just does not make financial sense at all - especially when they are still renewing people with Gold pass amounts). And, I was objective about what is and isn't being offered and the pricing. None of them decided it was worth it.

I know I'm just one person and it's easy to say it's immaterial. But, that can add up. I'm getting to the point where I would actively suggest friends thinking of coming down think otherwise - because of the current offerings and pricing. Can it be called petty? Of course! But, it's the only thing I have - and it's fully my right to offer my opinion. When you are disenfranchising your most loyal, it has an impact. And, that's not data they are collecting.

Lora Baines Bradley

If that were the case it would be closed by now.

GS is actually high for the park at the moment.
It honestly shocks me that GS is high. But I suppose your average guest isn't as critical of parks as we are.

And fair point to it being closed already if that was the case. I know my 2 weeks of macroeconomics this semester don't really make me an authority in any way on this topic ;) If I knew how to solve these issues, I'd be paid a lot more. Lol

Jrb1979

That's the point. The fact they are renewing and creating these separate classes is not going unnoticed. I personally have already talked to 4 groups of friends who were thinking of coming down, noting the crowds are low. Each of them I told them I couldn't get in, so I wouldn't be able to join them (since $50 a day just does not make financial sense at all - especially when they are still renewing people with Gold pass amounts). And, I was objective about what is and isn't being offered and the pricing. None of them decided it was worth it.

I know I'm just one person and it's easy to say it's immaterial. But, that can add up. I'm getting to the point where I would actively suggest friends thinking of coming down think otherwise - because of the current offerings and pricing. Can it be called petty? Of course! But, it's the only thing I have - and it's fully my right to offer my opinion. When you are disenfranchising your most loyal, it has an impact. And, that's not data they are collecting.
Maybe it's time you went to the dark side and go to Universal instead. The only way Disney is going hear frustrations is by taking you money elsewhere. As someone said Disney is like a drug and people can't break from it.

PaisleyMF

Question for all of you more knowledgeable about economics than I am- if attendance is so low, why not open back up AP sales again? Even if it's just for FL residents. I'm back in Orlando and I would consider buying an AP, but that's not even possible at this point. I mean, they have a 2 day park pass for FL residents, right? I know APs don't spend as much cash on merch and food in the parks, and I certainly don't know Disney's marginal costs, but would it really cost them extra to have more APs? Like, if the park is already operating, and they're paying all the operational costs, the benefit from new APs (as low as it may be) seems like it would be higher than the cost. Of course, you have to take into account the virus and if you even want to be encouraging travel within the state (although it would seem they're already doing that with the tickets for FL residents).

Also, I was a 2020 CP, and a I know a lot of CPs ended up working at Seaworld for the time being. Why would they be hiring right now if things are so bad? And if I'm not mistaken, aren't there SW team members that are on furlough still? I'd greatly appreciate someone explaining that to me, because from a PR perspective, it doesn't look great to have your existing team members on furlough while hiring people for those same positions (of course they might be able to pay those new team members less, so...)
As a passholder I do spend a good amount of money on food and merchandise. Because is an item I want or a place I do want to eat. And now you can select a park to visit on the day. Not just wait for it to show in couple of weeks.

As for SeaWorld Team Members, I think they ended been terminated at some point, same as Universal.

Plus Disney does have a 4 day ticket for Florid residents with no Black outs. Prefer the Universal one that is like SW Fun pass, but I don’t like Universal Anyways

HarperRose

The problem is that Disney cannot just pivot to smaller and cheaper alternatives. They don't know how. Rasulo, Staggs and Chapek were all charged with containing costs for new projects. Weis promised a leaner Universal Creative inspired model for Shanghai Disneyland that did not pan out. Billions were poured into MyMagic+ and its promises of reducing the need for expensive new attractions. The Nondescript Coaster Themed to India or Whatever was touted as a $100 million attraction. That type of money now does not even get Pixar Pier. Inflation has only been about 30% over the past 15 years while Disney's costs have risen more like 400%.

Yes, local Entertainment is separate from Walt Disney Imagineering which is a unique vortex of expensive, but its still mired by a bureaucracy that will be decimated but not necessarily streamlined. Disney has known for years now that they are not able to act quickly or cheaply but have been unable to actually push through any necessary change. In a system that is full of triple guessing how do you empower someone to do something that was largely deemed "unnecessary" years ago because "once in a lifetime visitors" won't notice?

Slinky Dog Dash, which is much more comparable in scope, was more than double those.
*boggles* How is that even possible?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom