News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

lazyboy97o

Unless I'm mistaken, the peak attendance year was 1987, after which the numbers dipped. That doesn't make EPCOT a failure, of course, but it does suggest that the masses didn't take to it in quite the same way as they did to the Magic Kingdom.
1994. EPCOT Center was more popular and maintained better parity with the Magic Kingdom than Epcot. Annual attendance only recently surpassed that high, riding a wave of overall increases that coincided with plummeting guest satisfaction ratings that could not be held off despite the promises of MyMagic+ resulting in the “need” for the park to be “more Disney”. Now the very popular monorail resorts, two after nearly half a century, ”need” to be “more Disney.”

EPCOTCenterLover

Thus the evilness of this plan. Adults budgeting a trip can eliminate the cost of a Poly stay quite easily, given a cheaper option with more Disney theming may go over better with their children. However now they have to face the emotional reaction of children not getting to stay in the "Moana Hotel". Now the pressure is on to spend that $650 a night and keep the kiddos happy.

But here I am telling you water is wet
In our home, where to stay was never a kids' decision. Input, yes. Decision, never.

LittleBuford

1994. EPCOT Center was more popular and maintained better parity with the Magic Kingdom than Epcot. Annual attendance only recently surpassed that high, riding a wave of overall increases that coincided with plummeting guest satisfaction ratings that could not be held off despite the promises of MyMagic+ resulting in the “need” for the park to be “more Disney”. Now the very popular monorail resorts, two after nearly half a century, ”need” to be “more Disney.”

Do you have a link? I recall 1987 being the year confirmed here in earlier discussions, even by @marni1971, though I may well be mistaken.

lazyboy97o

Do you have a link? I recall 1987 being the year confirmed here in earlier discussions, even by @marni1971, though I may well be mistaken.
I may have the actual peak year mixed up with when parity with the Magic Kingdom started to really drop to the large gap we‘ve now seen for years. Even now, the “new” “more Disney” Epcot, which finally started to again set annual attendance records after decades, is wrapping itself up in the imagery of the “failed“ EPCOT Center.

LittleBuford

I may have the actual peak year mixed up with when parity with the Magic Kingdom started to really drop to the large gap we‘ve now seen for years. Even now, the “new” “more Disney” Epcot, which finally started to again set annual attendance records after decades, is wrapping itself up in the imagery of the “failed“ EPCOT Center.

To be clear, I don’t consider EPCOT Center a failure, but neither do I think Epcot is the travesty that many here make it out to be. Nor do I believe a few Moana references are going to ruin the Poly.

lazyboy97o

To be clear, I don’t consider EPCOT Center a failure, but neither do I think Epcot is the travesty that many here make it out to be. Nor do I believe a few Moana references are going to ruin the Poly.
What if we’re talking something more like wall sized character graphics like the test at the Contemporary?

Riverrafter21

In our home, where to stay was never a kids' decision. Input, yes. Decision, never.

Understood, but the majority here are more Disney savvy than the average bear. However, If I’m Disney corporate I’m hoping weak willed parents will open their wallet to keep the kids happy at Moana Motel 6.

YorkshireT

Didn’t Chapek recently say or it was leaked that Grand Floridian lobby etc needs totally gutting and the whole thing also needs a refurb. The new bar was just the start?

castlecake2.0

Didn’t Chapek recently say or it was leaked that Grand Floridian lobby etc needs totally gutting and the whole thing also needs a refurb. The new bar was just the start?
I remember reading on here somewhere that he wanted to bring a more Updated look to the resort. They’ve done the bar and currently working on citricos, im sure the lobby is/was on the list

LAM378

I think hints—hints—of Moana sprinkled in can be done subtly, and make a nice little difference. Like the Mary Poppins influence over at GFV, and the Alice splash pad at GF. At one point I know there was character-inspired artwork in the GF rooms as well, and it was done so subtly and tastefully that I can’t even remember what it was (Mary again? Fairies from Sleeping Beauty?).

Little sprinkles of cartoon influence can blend in, if done right, and become something that you don’t really notice or even register if you’re not looking for them. Disney used to be better at this than they are now, but we’ll see.

The guest rooms and hallways certainly need...something. I don’t know if it’s Moana and Maui, but something. Can’t imagine what they’re going to “improve” about the Great Ceremonial House after that massive refurb 6 years ago. They have crowding issues in there, but they can’t make the building any bigger or lay things out differently that I can see. Those two ancient elevators do not cut it, but I’d think they would have upgraded them during the last refurb if that was on their radar at all.

Basically I don’t think the Poly needs much other than to be left alone, so I’m pretty puzzled by this. It’s going to be so dead in there for a year, and that’s just weird to me.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Maybe improve on that lame pan-Pacific excuse of a churrascaria. To be fair, there are elements of ‘Ohana that work, but the meat service was not one of them, especially after attending local Brazilian steakhouses.

Epcot82Guy

I can't remember historically either - but you also have to factor in competition. When you have MGM and Unive
Maybe improve on that lame pan-Pacific excuse of a churrascaria. To be fair, there are elements of ‘Ohana that work, but the meat service was not one of them, especially after attending local Brazilian steakhouses.

I'm interested when you went. For a time, it was actually a pretty solid place (and that's coming from an admitted food snob who typically has issues with a lot of Disney food). Quality has dropped as they try to cram more and more profit out of the place in more recent years.

_caleb

MANY of the NBA players who were saying there for the bubble season said the GF was in need of some love. But the Execs’ attempts at “modernization” don’t ever seem to take things in the right direction.

Archie123

Good riddance to Ohana. Someone at Disney should've put one of those skewers into this glutton paradise a long time ago. I know for those who like to overindulge on food that's only fit for a pig trough this is likely going to be traumatic news. However, when your dog turns their nose at the leftovers you quickly learn what they served isn't fit for human consumption.

Gotta love online anonymity!! People say the darnedest things like this. Internet bravado at it's best!! 😂

YorkshireT

I remember reading on here somewhere that he wanted to bring a more Updated look to the resort. They’ve done the bar and currently working on citricos, im sure the lobby is/was on the list
Thanks- I didn’t think I’d dreamed it- something about he no longer deemed it worthy of a flagship resort if Im not mistaken. Maybe 2021-2022.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom