The Art of Marvel and Its Greater Implications

RobbinsDad

I wonder if they might introduce optional packages for IP-filled room decor? Something that could be developed and removed after your stay - like linens, wall art and such. Pay an additional $100/night to have your GF room "Princess-ized".

wdwgreek

I experienced Legoland in California 2 weeks ago and I could clearly see the difference between that park and Disney. Legoland was mostly designed for kids...many rides had size and weight limits. I know that Disney doesn't do that. I get it. My point was that I have zero issue with adding more IP (old school or more recent) to hotels. There's a very vocal group of people on this site that hate on integrating IPs at any chance and I would counter that the majority of Disney fans like it and don't mind more of it. At least that's my opinion.

Meanwhile I saw a post earlier that they already took down the Incredibles artwork. Too many prying eyes perhaps. Or they made a decision already.
I don't think it is just on the forums. Read a comment section about lady and the trap live action or lion king. It is filled with people gripping that Disney doesn't have any original ideas anymore. Shoving characters everywhere is a physical manifestation of this same issue. The cheapening of the experience, the oversaturation of recycled characters and materials.

mgf

Good, I’m paying a crap ton of money to go to WDW and stay at their Deluxe resort, I want more Disney theming. Those Incredible test images looked great. I don’t get the anti-character/IP sentiments on this board. If I didn’t want Disney characters as part of my hotel theme, I wouldn’t go to Disney World.

... a level of quality that beats a Marriott Courtyard. I am not disagreeing so much with the theme-ing comment but the quality of the majority of the resorts is not only completely inconsistent with their price point but also with their comparable "real world" equivalents. And honestly it should not be hard to compete since the hotel industry is going with such boring, low risk offerings recently.

The theme-ing should be the value added. It should not be covering for poor maintenance, low service standards, and uneven cleanliness. Hotels are so boring these days. Disney should be taking names (and awards) in the creative and the service. They are phoning both in at the moment IMO.

TrojanUSC

Good, I’m paying a crap ton of money to go to WDW and stay at their Deluxe resort, I want more Disney theming. Those Incredible test images looked great. I don’t get the anti-character/IP sentiments on this board. If I didn’t want Disney characters as part of my hotel theme, I wouldn’t go to Disney World.

If you want loud characters in your hotel room, there's Art of Animation for that. If you want to feel like you're on an African safari, there's Animal Kingdom Lodge. If you want to visit a seaside boardwalk, there's the Boardwalk. All of those are equally Disney. It's about transporting you to a time or place. Walt didn't create Disneyland to exclusively showcase his cartoon characters - most of the park was about creating themed spaces he'd always wanted to visit. Just because cartoons are in something, doesn't make it more or less Disney.

Disney has always exceeded at creating resorts (and theme park locations) that transport you to another time and place. Sometimes those locations involve their animated films, but much of the time they do not. Uniquely themed spaces that you can't find anywhere else without traveling across the globe. Resorts where creativity was used to develop a one of a kind of environment. Copying and pasting some artwork from a movie into a deluxe hotel is tacky and cheap. Just as it is shoving IP into every extant attraction.

DCLcruiser

The upcoming Moana renovations at the Poly are one of the results of this effort.
Seems like a very organic IP insertion. I doubt anyone will be upset with the addition of Moana at Poly.

I get your overall concern since OP.

On a scale of all star movies to what we have now... what we looking at here

"A Disney World spokeswoman on Monday said changes to the rooms will include a move to a Pacific Ocean-inspired color palette as well as details, patterns and textures from Disney’s 'Moana'" (Orlando Sentinel 8/31/2020).

That's fine with me...

castlecake2.0

Seems like a very organic IP insertion. I doubt anyone will be upset with the addition of Moana at Poly.

I get your overall concern since OP.

"A Disney World spokeswoman on Monday said changes to the rooms will include a move to a Pacific Ocean-inspired color palette as well as details, patterns and textures from Disney’s 'Moana'" (Orlando Sentinel 8/31/2020).

That's fine with me...

Ah ok, if done right most people probably won’t even notice it if they’re not looking for it, the rooms really need a refresh

DCLcruiser

Are giant graphics really doing it right? Isn’t it just a tad bit ridiculous that a hotel built by an actual Disney needs to be “more Disney”?
What makes a family want to stay at Poly? What is the connection to "Disney" for the uninitiated? Just because it exists on the property isn't going to necessarily draw attendance, especially at the price. If they want to go to Hawaii or a Polynesian island, they can go on another vacation.

Donald wearing a lei might not be enough of a draw...

lazyboy97o

What makes a family want to stay at Poly? What is the connection to "Disney" for the uninitiated? Just because it exists on the property isn't going to necessarily draw attendance, especially at the price. If they want to go to Hawaii or a Polynesian island, they can go on another vacation.

What is The Haunted Mansion’s connection to Disney? The Polynesian Village was not hurting for visitation.

JoeCamel

Are giant graphics really doing it right? Isn’t it just a tad bit ridiculous that a hotel built by an actual Disney needs to be “more Disney”?
It worked for the Royal Pacific
rp.jpg
rp1.jpg

DisneyOutsider

It's Disney World at it's best. On the surface it's a rather pedestrian collection of square buildings, yet it's such a classic example of the original "vacation kingdom" vibe. Excellent placemaking and theming that didn't(and still doesn't) need to be propped up by a pre-existing popular IP-of-the-month.

It really couldn't possibly be any more Disney(at least the Disney of old), and they certainly don't have trouble finding families eager to stay there (pandemic notwithstanding). It doesn't need cartoons to draw people... It stands on its own all these decades later and speaks for itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom