News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Zipadeedoodah has been mostly seperated from its source material in people's minds and has become a "generically Disney" kind of song.
Zipadeedoodah transends it’s IP. It was the first Disney song I heard, and I didn’t know where it came from till I was 12.

For you maybe, but since you're not everybody, don't try to speak for everybody.

I've grown up seeing the character from SotS sing that song over and over again. Before the song went into the permanent vault, that movie clip was on TV with just about every Disney show. It's indelibly printed in my mind to see James Baskett singing it when I hear it.

The irony is that you two understand it separated from its source because Disney was embarrassed (rightfully so) of the source. Disney tried to 'save' the song and animation from that public relations train wreck by burying the source.

But there are lots of people very aware of the source.

*Very* aware.

Brer Oswald

For you maybe, but since you're not everybody, don't try to speak for everybody.

I've grown up seeing the character from SotS sing that song over and over again. Before the song went into the permanent vault, that movie clip was on TV with just about every Disney show. It's indelibly printed in my mind to see James Baskett singing it when I hear it.

The irony is that you two understand it separated from its source because Disney was embarrassed (rightfully so) of the source. Disney tried to 'save' the song and animation from that public relations train wreck by burying the source.

*Very* aware.
And for 12 years, I didn’t know who was giving the remarkable Academy Award winning performance. Just the voice. I think that’s the biggest crime of all. But I realize I’m no longer allowed to appreciate that, so I’ll cut this short.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

*Very* aware.
I apologize if I gave off the impression of being insensitive. I fully am aware of the issues with Splash Mountain and Zipadeedoodah. And while I would've preferred a new adaptation of the Brer stories to reclaim them from how they were tainted by Song of the South and Joel Chandler Harris, and then updating Splash for this new version. Celebrate early African American culture and fix the mistakes of the past rather than erase and pretend it never happened. I completely understand and support that something had to change. And I am in full support of change happening even if I personally believe there were better ways that change could've gone.

When I was talking about the song being separated from the movie, that wasn't me arguing it should stay. That was simply me saying that was one of the things that helped it work so well as a parade/general Disney song. For a good portion of people it was mostly if not completely dissociated from its source. It simply existed as a symbol of Disney. A parade float using that song would have Mickey and friends, not Uncle Remus. It is going to be tough to find a proper substitute that isn't as disconnected from its source for a good portion of people.

But again, I realize that for the people for who the song is not seperated from its source, it is a painful reminder of terrible things. The type of reminder people shouldn't face in a Disney park. Especially during a fireworks show or parade. I'm not trying to say it shouldn't be replaced, just saying it will be tough to replace.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And while I would've preferred a new adaptation of the Brer stories to reclaim them from how they were tainted by Song of the South and Joel Chandler Harris, and then updating Splash for this new version. Celebrate early African American culture and fix the mistakes of the past rather than erase and pretend it never happened. I completely understand and support that something had to change. And I am in full support of change happening even if I personally believe there were better ways that change could've gone.

I was all for that too!...

I've been wanting this for a long time. Bring in African and African-American talent to re-create these tales, most of which go back to African folklore, and re-tell it removing, as you said, the Reconstruction framing and the Deep South in-bred stereotypes. Then recontextualize Zippity Doo Dah into a animal frolicky scene that can double as a stand-alone music video.

Disney waited too long to redeem what would have been redeemable.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I was all for that too!...

Disney waited too long to redeem what would have been redeemable.
It's a shame. Could've been great from both an animation/splash mountain fan perspective and from a social change perspective. Jordan Peele has been wanting to make a Gargoyles movie for years, Disney could've easily made a deal with him to have the project oversaw by one of the most prominent black filmmakers in America. Then we could have also gotten a Gargoyles movie finally! I picture a collection of shorts by different filmmakers compiled as a movie. Like Fantasia or Winnie the Pooh.

But this is all a moot point now. Like you said, they waited until it was too late to take any action just hoping people would forget about Song of the South if they didn't add it to Disney+.

Princess and the Frog should be a great ride though. Even if I think the theme won't really fit into WDW's location well.

GimpYancIent

I am curious to see if Dr. Facilier is somehow incorporated into the scenery coming out of the shadows and the smell of fresh Beignets pumped into the air.

Brer Panther

If he isn’t in the ride, it’ll be a missed opportunity. He was the best part of a very lacklustre era of films.
Didn't that leaked overview of the plot (the "Louis has to find his trumpet" thing) mention that he and his "Friends on the Other Side" would be taking over Burrow's Lament/lift hill scene?

JohnD

I am curious to see if Dr. Facilier is somehow incorporated into the scenery coming out of the shadows and the smell of fresh Beignets pumped into the air.

Considering it will be the same track, if they also hold to the darkened lighting upon entering what is currently The Laughing Place, it seems to me that would be the perfect place to put him and a "friends on the other side" scene.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Considering it will be the same track, if they also hold to the darkened lighting upon entering what is currently The Laughing Place, it seems to me that would be the perfect place to put him and a "friends on the other side" scene.
I believe that it was speculated the Laughing Place would be the fireflies and the lift would be Friends on the Other Side

Brer Panther

Well, apparently they're going to reskin Brer Bear with the beehive on his nose as Louis stuck in a prickle bush, so... yeah, there's a distinct possibilty.

Side note, anybody else wondering just how the beehive got on Brer Bear's nose to begin with? Did he decide to stick his nose in there, or did it just fall off and land on his nose somehow?

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Well, apparently they're going to reskin Brer Bear with the beehive on his nose as Louis stuck in a prickle bush, so... yeah, there's a distinct possibilty.

Side note, anybody else wondering just how the beehive got on Brer Bear's nose to begin with? Did he decide to stick his nose in there, or did it just fall off and land on his nose somehow?
My guess is he just stuck his head in the hole and got it wedged on there

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom