Which Cast Member interaction do you miss the most?

REG Glenn

Original Poster
Our family enjoyed our mid August trip to WDW. It was nice to jump on rides with no waits and very different to stroll down a nearly empty World Showcase. The memory of this trip during the Pandemic will be set apart for its unique circumstances. But as annual visitors to the most Magical Place on Earth, we experience these same rides every year, and most the time the rides don’t change. So why do we cherish these annual trips. For our family, it is the Cast Member and character interaction. Disney has always been better than everyone else when it comes to hospitality in their theme parks and resorts. And what sets them apart from everyone else? It is their people.

This last trip was fun, but we sure missed bantering with Gaston, visiting with Betty Shambles, talking with the citizens of Main Street, enjoying the Laugh Floor, or getting a hug from Pooh. Talking to your waitress or visiting with Cast Members in the stores is difficult behind a mask and a face shield. At 57, my hearing is not the best and is made more complicated behind sterile face coverings. Asking a question to a Cast Member about shirt size is made more difficult when trying to keep the 6 foot distance. Simply put, interaction with Disney’s most valuable commodity, it’s people, is very difficult in 2020. I can’t wait to go back next year, but hopefully it will be post pandemic. I’ll take the crowds, rope drops, and long wait times in exchange for parades, fireworks, and most of all, a Disney smile from a cast member.

Which Cast Member interaction would you miss the most?

brb1006

When I visited Walt Disney World in the Fall of 2006 (early October). Me and my parents remember encountering this one female cast member as we we're waiting for Spectromagic to begin around Frontierland. This middle aged lady was very friendly and had a unique sense of humor despite having a quick interaction with guests. She was one of the CM that roped guests around the parade route. She was telling guests to keep their bodies behind the rope which me and my parents payed attention. She was very playful and told me something along the lines of "Oh, keep your toes behind" which made me smile.

Another Cast Member that was also very memorable was during the "Festival Of The Lion King" a young female Cast Member sat next with me and my parents. We didn't know she was between use until Timon ran into one of our seats in fear. I think Timon sat between me and my dad's legs before running back on stage. This CM then told my parents some behind the scenes information behind the show. I remember she wore glasses and was very pretty.

If anyone of those Cast Members (possibly retired by now) then I hope they remember how much they made me and my parents trip years ago.

Giss Neric

I quite enjoy interacting with the inhabitants of Galaxy's Edge, especially the storm troopers and the First Order officers walking around. They are quite intimidating but fun to interact with. The actors who plays them are really really good.

Heppenheimer

Since I can't go back to a Disney resort until the COVID numbers improve sharply, I would say I miss ANY cast member interaction right about now.

But specifically, I miss the look on our baby/toddler's face when he met Mickey. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is his favorite show, and the smile and look of recognition when Mickey approached our table at Storyteller's Cafe was priceless.

belledream

I’ve always loved checking in to the resort. It signified the actual beginning of our vacation, and the CMs in the lobby facilitated that. Welcoming you back, chatting about what you’re celebrating, and of course, pulling out a resort map and revealing where your room is located! I can’t wait until our family will be able to do that again.

JIMINYCR

Because pin trading is something I look forward to doing while on my trips, I'd really miss the conversations and contact between myself and the CM's as we trade pins. I'd miss the interactions in the restaurants. From the videos posted it seems theres not the same amounts of conversing and friendly contacts we are used to getting. The distancing and fear that everyone has at this time affects the friendly feel and jovial atmosphere we are used to in the Disney property. AND I miss seeing the smiling, welcoming faces that are now covered up of everyone who is working hard to make my Disney trip magical.

mf1972

i always liked the spontaneous interactions. could be anything from a CM wishing you a happy birthday to CM’s joking around with guests. it’s the little things they do to make your trip more memorable.

Heppenheimer

I’ve always loved checking in to the resort. It signified the actual beginning of our vacation, and the CMs in the lobby facilitated that. Welcoming you back, chatting about what you’re celebrating, and of course, pulling out a resort map and revealing where your room is located! I can’t wait until our family will be able to do that again.
Oddly enough, my wife and I were just discussing this very joy the other day. There's just something about walking into the lobby of a Disney resort at the beginning of your vacation that brings an indescribable rush.

I get the same feeling driving on the causeway towards Ocean City, NJ.

Last edited:

belledream

Oddly enough, my wife and I were just discussing this very joy the other day. There's just something about walking into the lobby of a Disney resort at the beginning of your vacation that brings an indescribable rush.

I get the same feeling driving unto the causeway towards Ocean City, NJ.
Yes! Entering the lobby and feeling/hearing my luggage rolling on the ground with me gives me such an adrenaline rush. Little things. :)

COrunner

Yes! Entering the lobby and feeling/hearing my luggage rolling on the ground with me gives me such an adrenaline rush. Little things. :)
This,
I was talking with my daughter the other night about our favorite moments from trips and Poly is hands down my favorite resort and walking to the poly lobby gives me such a sense of relaxing and happiness.

britdaw

My kids love interacting with the characters (well, my girls do... my son was pretty terrified of them last time we went!). My kids will be 18, 13, and 7 when we go next spring and my soon-to-be 18 year old daughter was just saying "I hope all this COVID crap is over before our trip, 'cause I want to take as many pictures with characters as I can!" It's going to be her senior trip, and she's making it her mission to meet and take a selfie with every character we see. LOL

MickeyLuv'r

The times CM's have helped us problem solve. While a friendly greeting and good waitstaff/bell services is appreciated, the service I most appreciate are the times a staff member has gone above the norm to help us solve a problem. Like once we left a pair of inexpensive reading glasses on our table. While they likely only cost $10, losing a pair of reading glasses on vacation is a bit of a hassle. The next day, we stopped by Lost and Found and SURPRISE there they were - with our name on them!

Another time, many years ago, a family member dropped a small toy- just we we were getting on the monorail. It fell into the tiny gap between the track and the car. We were absolutely certain it was gone for good. Still, when we got off at the next stop, I took a chance and mentioned it to a CM, not to get it back, but just because it seemed like a responsible thing to do. (on the off chance it could cause a problem?) She took my name, and told me to come by the Lost and found in 2 days. So 2 days later, we stopped by- more or less as a joke- thinking no way would it be there, but it WAS!

Other interactions, I'm hesitant to even list, because they were also acts that went above and beyond. It isn't fair to expect CM's to go above and beyond, but posting examples tends to lead others to expect CM's to do something similar for them. As in, this is why we no longer get to wake Tinkerbell, and other treats that CM's used to sometimes bestow to lucky folks.

I also feel a need to add, we've also encountered some excellent staff at Universal. Many staff there also do a great job of adding to the fun of the attractions, making hotel stays great, providing great dining service, and generally providing quality service. On one of my most recent stays, I arrived to my hotel rather late, so most dining and all the stores were closed. Nevertheless, the staff member who checked me in made a big effort to make sure I had everything I needed/wanted, knew how to find my room, etc. She provided a higher level of service than most staff I've encountered at WDW or elsewhere.

jloucks

Our family enjoyed our mid August trip to WDW. It was nice to jump on rides with no waits and very different to stroll down a nearly empty World Showcase. The memory of this trip during the Pandemic will be set apart for its unique circumstances. But as annual visitors to the most Magical Place on Earth, we experience these same rides every year, and most the time the rides don’t change. So why do we cherish these annual trips. For our family, it is the Cast Member and character interaction. Disney has always been better than everyone else when it comes to hospitality in their theme parks and resorts. And what sets them apart from everyone else? It is their people.

This last trip was fun, but we sure missed bantering with Gaston, visiting with Betty Shambles, talking with the citizens of Main Street, enjoying the Laugh Floor, or getting a hug from Pooh. Talking to your waitress or visiting with Cast Members in the stores is difficult behind a mask and a face shield. At 57, my hearing is not the best and is made more complicated behind sterile face coverings. Asking a question to a Cast Member about shirt size is made more difficult when trying to keep the 6 foot distance. Simply put, interaction with Disney’s most valuable commodity, it’s people, is very difficult in 2020. I can’t wait to go back next year, but hopefully it will be post pandemic. I’ll take the crowds, rope drops, and long wait times in exchange for parades, fireworks, and most of all, a Disney smile from a cast member.

We haven't been back for various reasons, but if we were to return, we would miss the Alice in Wonderland interaction dealie most. I am not sure what it is, but both times we stopped to chat with "Alice" the CM playing the role did a fantastic job with my kids and even us. Not at all rushed, not a ton of people staring, just an almost natural run in with the Alice.

Disney Cruise Line does amazing interactions, better in almost every way, but that is another topic.

dewardevi

I miss the international cast members at Epcot. I enjoyed trying out my rusty Italian and French with the guys and girls in those pavilions, asking about their home towns, and generally having a good time. It was a little shock last month being greeted by a big non-Oriental guy at the entrance to the China theater.

Tink76

Sadly, I don’t remember his name but back in the early 2000 I remember this particular gentlemen greeter at Wilderness Lodge. He was personable and friendly, and made you feel so welcome. The same for the Beach Club, when we exited our vehicle and made our way to the front door the greeter made our first steps magical.
Miss that extra touch!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom