News Disney confirms multiple EPCOT projects are paused

HanSoloDolo

Putting the pieces together, the unique ride system up for debate a few years ago with the Shanghai Pirates system and we know that it was rumored for multiple parks. Perhaps a Marvel ride using that ride system?
But is there enough room there to hypothetically put the Shanghai pirates tech?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Significantly scaling back the new Festival Pavillion is a big mistake. Poppins isn't a huge loss, but this is just going to continue the decades-long game of catch up and Epcot was already a decade behind. I can see how they might try to scale back now while generating enough "new" to up the ante later but, it seems foreseeable that Epcot's legacy is becoming a decade's long log jam. I'm not trying to be negative. I still love the place and I get that they are losing money, it just seems like they need to tear off the bandaid, and they are just applying another over an even larger wound.
Epcot is back to being screwed as far as cohesiveness...and I’m pretty sure that wasn’t gonna happen if they had kept building. Now the odds are statistically nil.
My main concern was with how quickly the top floor would likely be turned into a desert-party-only viewing area for events similar to how long the new "grassy" area in the redesigned center at Magic Kingdom remained as something other than an up-charge only space. I could see them doing plenty of "exclusive" stuff in that second floor, too - especially if it's air conditioned.

I guess I'm just cynical but I don't trust current management to build anything like this without turning at least 90% of it into something directly revenue generating.

If they want to tuck tacky clones of Club 33 into corners somewhat discreetly around WDW and charge crazy money for something not equal to the original, okay but if it's going to be something out there and obvious, I find it really off-putting when things go VIP only and this feels like too sweet a target to be ignored.
Agree...and main reason why this management sucks..

Unless you don’t like the truth...in which case...carry on.
I disagree but you'd have loved the original Guardians plan.
A lot of fun up on that “shelf” at WED...ain’t there?
Which IKEA model are they basing it on? The Hoobastank or the Flurgenstown?
You won the Internet. 👏
Out of curiosity, and following yesterday's horrible news about Chadwick Boseman, would this have involved Wakanda and/or Black Panther?
That Darn contract again...so “no”

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

My main concern was with how quickly the top floor would likely be turned into a desert-party-only viewing area for events similar to how long the new "grassy" area in the redesigned center at Magic Kingdom remained as something other than an up-charge only space. I could see them doing plenty of "exclusive" stuff in that second floor, too - especially if it's air conditioned.

I guess I'm just cynical but I don't trust current management to build anything like this without turning at least 90% of it into something directly revenue generating.

If they want to tuck tacky clones of Club 33 into corners somewhat discreetly around WDW and charge crazy money for something not equal to the original, okay but if it's going to be something out there and obvious, I find it really off-putting when things go VIP only and this feels like too sweet a target to be ignored.
While I hate all the upcharges, in this case it didn't bother me too much that they would likely use the restaurant for pricey fireworks viewing events in the evenings. It would bother me if they carved out a section of World Showcase Promenade or converted existing WS restaurants into upcharge viewing venues (not that they're exactly economical anyway), but building a new elevated restaurant in the hopes people will pay more for the views doesn't strike me as overly outrageous. They charge more for California Grill because of the views and I don't lose sleep over that, either. I guess it also comes does to the fact that they were replacing a building that I never went into anyway with something that would hopefully at least be visually interesting.

All that said, I wish people wouldn't pay for these things so Disney stopped adding them all over the place. Who knows, perhaps the viability of this stuff will substantially change now.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom