News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think Sleepy Hollow would be perfect for Liberty Square.

Sleepy Hollow already is in Liberty Square!...

1598382246503.png

;)

Although, it would be better if the name were used right next to Haunted Mansion.

seabreezept813

Sleepy Hollow already is in Liberty Square!...

View attachment 492994

;)

Although, it would be better if the name were used right next to Haunted Mansion.

My stepdaughter watched way too many Disney Food Blog videos before we went last summer. So we did go there to get the churro icecream sandwich. But in all seriousness, while barely an IP, the Legend of Sleepy Hollow story is still crazy popular. It would make a great dark ride and probably sell a lot of merchandise. Think of how popular the Halloween parties are...
Locally, there’s an outdoor Sleepy Hollow stage show here that in post-covid times sells out crazy fast. And as a geeky English teacher who teaches this story every year, I just selfishly want it to be an epic ride.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Try clearing your cache. The reference to Song of the South has been removed and there is a note under the image carousel that the attraction will be changed.
SoTS.jpg
Just took this off my laptop. You think they'd have removed it if they're all bent on erasing SoTS

Brer Panther

changing the Frontierland theme to, well, something else.
You mean that Frontierland will eventually become "Generic IPs That Disney Owns Land"?

I believe it dates back to pre-1971 opening, but I recall reading about a Sleepy Hollow attraction intended to bridge Liberty Square with Fantasyland.
They were originally planning to build a Sleepy Hollow dark ride instead of Mr. Toad (and dark rides based on Sleeping Beauty and Mary Poppins instead of Snow White and Peter Pan), but decided against it. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Animaniac93-98

It about erasing Song of the South plan and simple. That is it. They needed another IP that vaguely resembles Splash. It is also more marketable.

Disney also painted themselves into a corner by demanding any replacement be an IP + part of a franchise.

It's also symptomatic of Disneyland-centric thinking by choosing something that only really works for a ride next to New Orleans Square.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
It about erasing Song of the South plan and simple. That is it. They needed another IP that vaguely resembles Splash. It is also more marketable.
They'll never be able to 100% erase SoTS. That's the thing. We have tons upon tons of videos/photos of Splash, memorabilia, plus Tokyo keeping their Splash thw way it is. On top of that, other countries have seemingly no issue with SoTS.

Surferboy567

They'll never be able to 100% erase SoTS. That's the thing. We have tons upon tons of videos/photos of Splash, memorabilia, plus Tokyo keeping their Splash thw way it is. On top of that, other countries have seemingly no issue with SoTS.

I don’t want them to...the music and characters have always been such an iconic part of the parks for myself. They can however, wipe the music out of the park as well as the characters (if they want to go that far). Beyond hardcore Disney fans like us, it could theoretically be forgotten by the general public.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
NO....Can anyone verify? The song will always be an iconic part of Disney...I really hope this isn’t true.

Disney will eventually suppress it everywhere. It's a thing announced. No one should be surprised. Disney's doing what it said it will do.

One is free to not like it.

One cannot think it won't happen. Just like the movie, Song of the South, was permanently pulled; everything associated with it is being pulled, too: attractions and music and film.*

*Except maybe in Tokyo who may have perpetual usage rights and they determine to keep it.

Surferboy567

Disney will eventually suppress it everywhere. It's a thing announced. No one should be surprised. Disney's doing what it said it will do.

One is free to not like it.

One cannot think it won't happen. Just like the movie, Song of the South, was permanently pulled; everything associated with it is being pulled, too: attractions and music and film.*

*Except maybe in Tokyo who may have perpetual usage rights and they determine to keep it.

If they are going this far to suppress classics. Their is NO WAY they don’t do the refurbishment in WDW.

owlsandcoffee

It’s only 30 years until that song enters the public domain. Disney abandoning it as an anthem will mean it will come back.

The Mouse does not let anything sneak into the public domain. I doubt that will stop being true for Song of the South.

As for the other points made since I was here last:

They could make Splash Mountain about the Gold Rush, maybe. You're exploring and searching for gold in caves and caverns, and just when you're about to get your hands on it...Woooooosh. Would fit better in Frontierland anyways...and Iger's all about looking for money.

(EDIT: Big Thunder Mountain. Dumb. Don't post at night kids)

Part of the "PatF can go in Fantasyland" is about proving that the issue is not with a black woman getting a ride, which I think people would start assuming. The reason Disney chose PatF in the first place is because Song of the South is racist and what better to really drive home how not-racist you are than putting a black story where the racist one was.

I actually would like to see a PatF ride in Fantasyland tough. There's room where Snow White was (Princess Fairytale Hall or whatever it's called). I like Tiana, I like PatF, and I think that the characters/style/music would be a good match for a D-Ticket dark ride.

As for Liberty Square, there's a 0% chance it goes anywhere. I do think it needs some juice, but it'll never be replaced.

That feeling of being transported back to Revolutionary America can only really be found in Boston, Philly or Williamsburg...and they don't have robo-Lincoln.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom