Voyage of the Little Mermaid is done, won't reopen with the parks.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yeah all of animation courtyard.

3.4 acres

1596665307146.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So far as I know this is on hold.

I would think anything that hasn't started and hasn't been announced is on hold for a while.

This would include:
  • A replacement for SGE
  • The black box
  • Animation Courtyard to RnRC development
  • A replacement for RoL
  • A replacement for Primeval Whirl
  • TRON Racers
  • CBJ upgrade/retheme
  • Tiki upgrade/retheme

Can you think of any unannounced thing that is still in the works (just hold up the number of fingers ;) ).

JoeCamel

I would think anything that hasn't started and hasn't been announced is on hold for a while.

This would include:
  • A replacement for SGE
  • The black box
  • A replacement for RoL
  • TRON Racers
  • CBJ upgrade/retheme
  • Tiki upgrade/retheme

Can you think of any unannounced thing that is still in the works (just hold up the number of fingers ;) ).
Is he holding up two fingers or is he..........

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

This would include:
  • A replacement for SGE
  • The black box
  • A replacement for RoL
  • TRON Racers
  • CBJ upgrade/retheme
  • Tiki upgrade/retheme

I could see Black Box getting some priorities just because it is a relatively cheap way to give them a steady stream of trendy IP to advertise the park with. More marketing bang for their buck than most things they could be building right now.

But I don't have any insider info here. Just a personal guess

LittleBuford

Ohhh, I just figured (guessed) he must be. Because why else would he always be around 6 feet 2 or taller? Plus all he does is come out at the end for like 10 seconds. That would be a lot of sitting around for an actor, if that's all he did.

I’m a huge fan of the show (one of the very few, it seems), and the actors playing Eric have never struck me as unexpectedly or unusually tall. Perhaps that’s because the “real” Eric is already strapping in my imagination. :inlove:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

This would include:
  • A replacement for SGE
  • The black box
  • A replacement for RoL
  • TRON Racers
  • CBJ upgrade/retheme
  • Tiki upgrade/retheme

Can I use toes as well?

TrainsOfDisney

@marni1971 - was the Mickey Mouse ride perhaps an expanded black box ride?

It just seems like that idea may have started for animation courtyard theme wise and it seems like a plussed “black box” concept to me.

britdaw

Now that they have the Little Mermaid ride in Fantasyland, it doesn't surprise me that VotLM is done; I'm actually surprised that they kept it open as long as they did once the newer attraction opened.

It's looking more and more like HS is going to be a half-day park for us when we go in March. We will probably stick to Toy Story Land and that's about it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

This would include:
  • A replacement for SGE
  • The black box
  • A replacement for RoL
  • TRON Racers
  • CBJ upgrade/retheme
  • Tiki upgrade/retheme

I Just asked @realBobChapek about that list ...and he said this:

1596768063125.gif

And then he gave me a bill for $25 bucks more per point on my 2005 DVC contract

Fox&Hound

It really is time for that "ToonTown" segment of the park to be built...Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, and a few new attractions...and would be a perfect fit with MMRR right there...

Do you mean use Roger Rabbit as a ride concept but with a new IP? No way they use Roger Rabbit- talk about a dead IP. Kids have no idea who that is anymore. Sorry, but there is no way Disney would try to revitalize that property when there is much better properties to use.

Bocabear

Do you mean use Roger Rabbit as a ride concept but with a new IP? No way they use Roger Rabbit- talk about a dead IP. Kids have no idea who that is anymore. Sorry, but there is no way Disney would try to revitalize that property when there is much better properties to use.
Any of the Disney IPs are viable if they want them to be... CarToon Spin in Anaheim is extremely popular and has been for decades. If we actually had a ToonTown here, you could certainly re-invigorate the franchise...And with the new Mickey Mouse cartoons styled after the old 30s look it would work well...and yes some new IP would work as well...all tied to a Toontown style refresh of Rock N Roller Coaster... It could be amazing.

_caleb

Any of the Disney IPs are viable if they want them to be... CarToon Spin in Anaheim is extremely popular and has been for decades. If we actually had a ToonTown here, you could certainly re-invigorate the franchise...And with the new Mickey Mouse cartoons styled after the old 30s look it would work well...and yes some new IP would work as well...all tied to a Toontown style refresh of Rock N Roller Coaster... It could be amazing.
I wouldn’t want another Toontown unless there was a major change in how maintenance is handled. The one at DL is (and has always been!) always worn, faded, broken, and sad. Also, build some shade, Disney!

MadTeacup

Ohhh, I just figured (guessed) he must be. Because why else would he always be around 6 feet 2 or taller? Plus all he does is come out at the end for like 10 seconds. That would be a lot of sitting around for an actor, if that's all he did.
Good guess. Eric has a fancy for escargot, so he and the snails are quite chummy with one another. ;) True, most days Eric does appear fairly tall, although some days he sleeps in a manner that his spine gets compressed and can wake up closer to 5'10"-5'11".

I would also like to add that, like so much of entertainment, no final decision has been regarding the future of Voyage of the Little Mermaid and it is certainly MUCH too early to say that it is permanently closed. Despite @LiterallyNobody 's claims, the stage is in fairly decent repair and was being actively invested in with new technology - new lighting and show control systems were recently installed, new outfits for Ariel were designed, and all effects were functioning. Unfortunately there were two major issues with reopening the show in a Covid world. First, the Actors Equity Association is still finalizing its union agreement with Disney meaning the most critical cast member in the show can't be staffed. Secondly and most importantly, it is impossible to perform the show while maintaining six feet of distance between all performers. The performers are literally on top of one another. It takes three people crammed together just to bring Ursula to life. Disney has been very strict on the six feet rule to the point where entertainment show directors carry a six foot stick to measure the distance between performers. Until the six feet rule is relaxed, there will be no puppet shows at Walt Disney World.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom