Perrey and Kingsley are going be getting some fresh royalty checks next year..

MaximumEd

Yes and I’m sure that Foo Fighters feel they’re doing their best work ever right now but if I go see them in concert I want to hear Best of You and Learn to Fly.

They bring it back because people love it.

Love me some FF, but with all due respect, asking Dave Grohl to be consistently creative and innovative over a 30 year period isn’t the same as asking a new and constantly evolving team to outdo a tired 70’s parade.

trainplane3

I seriously don’t understand the snottiness towards Paint the Night on these forums, or the Main Street Electrical Parade for that matter.
If MSEP returns to here, it's going to be a box of lights with some tires by the time MK is done with it. It's been stated a few times that when DL got MSEP back from WDW that it was in terrible condition and barely made the trip back. If it makes a trip back to WDW, it's going to die here. Keep it out west where it has a real reason to be (created for and fits that park much better then MK) and not be WDW's "oh crap we need something" scramble to shove something out at night.

I'd rather nothing over MSEP. Though I'd rather PtN over nothing.

aladdin2007

I have no doubts that if PTN does come here, it would be a shortened version for all budget sake.
which maybe would be a good thing, seeing that semi truck going down main street is just off putting to me, they can do better and use to.

CJR

seeing that semi truck going down main street is just off putting to me, they can do better and use to.

I consider it to be the worst part of the parade. Such an awkward transition, even at DCA.

If they replace it with nothing, most people would have no clue unless they're familiar with it already.

Although, I personally would love to see them mix in Moana or Frozen 2 somehow. They did have a Frozen float at one point, so it wouldn't be the first change made to the parade.

MickeyMouse10

Paint the Night is awesome, I'd gladly push a kid or granny out of the way for it.

* a little kid struggling to see anything might say "I can't see."
, but I'd just turn and say within inches of his little face "TOOO BADDD".

* This is just a joke I haven't pushed a kid in at least 4 years. I usually just avoid them like the plague.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

So....the 'royalty checks'....

It was my understanding that the Walt Disney Company purchased the rights to the 'Baroque Hoedown' composition wholesale from the writers / owners years ago.
So they would not 'owe' anyone any royalties, and can whatever they wish with the music.

Perhaps i have been mis-informed, but i remember being told this a while back.

-

Figments Friend

Some thoughts on the Parade rumor, from what i am aware of related to the topic -

I was told some time ago by someone with direct connections to DLR Entertainment that TDA was furious at WDW's treatment of the MSEP units the last time Florida's Park 'borrowed' them.
The Parade had spent a few years running at WDW and were reportedly roughly treated.
When they were shipped back West , the units arrived back at the Anaheim warehouse in a bad state.
So bad, that a couple of units had to be retired, thus why when it re-debuted at Disneyland Park a few years ago it was not the 'complete Parade'.

I was also told at the time that 'there was NO way in Hades' TDA would allow WDW to get their grubby paws on those fragile yet historically important units again.

Now flash forward to a year or so ago, and someone claiming to be involved with WDW in a upper management position posted here about there being serious talk about Chapek wanting the MSEP back at WDW for the 50th.
Chapek was pushing for a 'nostaliga heavy' marketing campaign and Resort offerings for the Anniversary, and the MSEP was to being looked into to be a part of that.
I actually conversed with this individual privately to 'compare notes' as i was challenging the 'news' based on what info i had been told a few years prior.
Things change of course, but i was skeptical.
According to this poster, it was true TDA was upset about the mis-treatment of the units, but Chapek has final say.
If he says it is 'to go'....then DLR has no say in the matter.

I have no idea currently what the current status is, as i haven't really heard much about the topic until now.
So i await with interest as well to see how this pans out.
I do know if it does end up happening, our friends at DLR will NOT be happy about it.
The feeling was if MSEP makes another trip to the East Coast, it will 'die there' and never return to Disneyland which i really don't want to see happen.
As much as i absolutely love the MSEP, it belongs at Disneyland Park...it's 'home'.

Now, regarding 'Paint the Night'.....

All i will say is it is VERY expensive to run this Parade and i have serious doubts WDW would be willing to pay for the staffing required to perform and maintain it.
The float sizes and 'issues' discussed upthread here are also something that would need to be looked into.

Running the MSEP is MUCH cheaper ...so given the two options, MSEP probably looks like a 'better' option as far as cost savings goes if WDW is serious about moving forward with such a proposition.

In my honest opinion, IF 'Paint'...were to make the trek to Florida i see it being a better 'fit' at DHS.
The heavy 'Pixar' elements and other aspects of the presentation are a perfect match, in my opinion.

-

-

kpilcher

I seriously don’t understand the snottiness towards Paint the Night on these forums, or the Main Street Electrical Parade for that matter.
Not sure Snottiness is the word I'd use... but perhaps its because we've HAD better: SpectroMagic and we've SEEN better: Tokyo Disneyland's Dreamlights

When was the last time WDW actually got something truly “new”?
Spectromagic in 1991 (Happy 20th, WDW!) for a night parade. Day: Festival of Fantasy in 2014 (6 years young!)

The Cars segment (and, I’m hoping, the Monsters Inc. section) can easily be replaced with something more current and/or celebrating the history of the park.
I agree it could be replaced. I'd personally say it should be replaced . What do you think the odds are that it will be replaced?

TrainsOfDisney

Some thoughts on the Parade rumor, from what i am aware of related to the topic -

I was told some time ago by someone with direct connections to DLR Entertainment that TDA was furious at WDW's treatment of the MSEP units the last time Florida's Park 'borrowed' them.
The Parade had spent a few years running at WDW and were reportedly roughly treated.
When they were shipped back West , the units arrived back at the Anaheim warehouse in a bad state.
So bad, that a couple of units had to be retired, thus why when it re-debuted at Disneyland Park a few years ago it was not the 'complete Parade'.

I was also told at the time that 'there was NO way in Hades' TDA would allow WDW to get their grubby paws on those fragile yet historically important units again.

Now flash forward to a year or so ago, and someone claiming to be involved with WDW in a upper management position posted here about there being serious talk about Chapek wanting the MSEP back at WDW for the 50th.
Chapek was pushing for a 'nostaliga heavy' marketing campaign and Resort offerings for the Anniversary, and the MSEP was to being looked into to be a part of that.
I actually conversed with this individual privately to 'compare notes' as i was challenging the 'news' based on what info i had been told a few years prior.
Things change of course, but i was skeptical.
According to this poster, it was true TDA was upset about the mis-treatment of the units, but Chapek has final say.
If he says it is 'to go'....then DLR has no say in the matter.

I have no idea currently what the current status is, as i haven't really heard much about the topic until now.
So i await with interest as well to see how this pans out.
I do know if it does end up happening, our friends at DLR will NOT be happy about it.
The feeling was if MSEP makes another trip to the East Coast, it will 'die there' and never return to Disneyland which i really don't want to see happen.
As much as i absolutely love the MSEP, it belongs at Disneyland Park...it's 'home'.

Now, regarding 'Paint the Night'.....

All i will say is it is VERY expensive to run this Parade and i have serious doubts WDW would be willing to pay for the staffing required to perform and maintain it.
The float sizes and 'issues' discussed upthread here are also something that would need to be looked into.

Running the MSEP is MUCH cheaper ...so given the two options, MSEP probably looks like a 'better' option as far as cost savings goes if WDW is serious about moving forward with such a proposition.

In my honest opinion, IF 'Paint'...were to make the trek to Florida i see it being a better 'fit' at DHS.
The heavy 'Pixar' elements and other aspects of the presentation are a perfect match, in my opinion.

-

-

Thanks for this post. The last I had heard (this was before the parks shut down) was to expect a glorified move it shake it and that’s it. Now I’m actually wondering if there isn’t some sort of weird mix in the works.... a new misi type parade with some modern hoedown (similar to paint the night) mixed in? That’s just me trying to read between the lines of what has been posted.

Smooth

1597608711673.png

There is only going to be one float. It will come out of the firehouse and go around town square one time, then back into the firehouse.

TrainsOfDisney

Said Tom Fitzgerald. Then fellow management tore down the pavilion he wrote that line for.

It’s still quoted on the Epcot monorail line. With a disclaimer said in .5 seconds that most guests miss... “especially if it’s an IP. Subject to approval of Iger / Chapek. Results are not typical. Consult with an imagineer before actually dreaming.”

DoleWhipDrea

Not sure Snottiness is the word I'd use... but perhaps its because we've HAD better: SpectroMagic and we've SEEN better: Tokyo Disneyland's Dreamlights

From the multiple comments I’ve seen in various threads, it’s definitely snotty. It’s fine to prefer other things, but that doesn’t make MSEP or PTN trash. I’m really tired of seeing people be so negative. SpectroMagic was destroyed (thanks to Disney not taking care of the floats) and Tokyo generally gets the best of everything. Yeah, it stinks, but it doesn’t make other parades worthless. I’d rather see something than nothing at all. Is it fair that that’s the question being posed? Obviously not. Again, it’s 2020, we’re here now and it is what it is.

Spectromagic in 1991 (Happy 20th, WDW!) for a night parade. Day: Festival of Fantasy in 2014 (6 years young!)

Exactly my point. It’s been too long, and expecting a new parade at this point under current circumstances is just unrealistic.

I agree it could be replaced. I'd personally say it should be replaced . What do you think the odds are that it will be replaced?

If we’re being literal, the odds are 50/50 - TWDC either will or will not do it. But here’s the thing. Disney is having a hard time reaching the limited capacity numbers now after declaring pre-reopening that WDW had “pent up demand.” The crowds aren’t coming the way they expected. People are scared or unable to travel and it’s going to take a long time for the travel/leisure industry to recover - analysts estimate 5 whole years. As we’ve seen from WDI in recent history, it’s easier and cheaper for them to do a slight “refresh” for an area or attraction and then market it as something new and exciting to entice visitors. It’s easier for them to ship a mothballed (and not that old) parade and market it as something grand for WDW’s 50th, and not that expensive to perhaps change out a section or two. The 50th has a budget, however limited it may be.

Heaven knows they’ve saved some money on entertainment recently.

kpilcher

but that doesn’t make MSEP or PTN trash.

MSEP is Beyond tired. It’s a parody at this point. Because of other and better parades. PTN has potential with a better soundtrack.

If we’re being literal, the odds are 50/50...The 50th has a budget, however limited it may be.
Heaven knows they’ve saved some money on entertainment recently.

Pre-COVID-19 I would agree 50-50 at best. Now?? Don’t take that bet. Whatever budget WAS there for any number of things has now vaporized.

As tired as they let MSEP Become as a staple of Florida’s worldwide flagship park let me be the first to say they are facing almost unprecedented challenges and can be justified in nearly unprecedented reactions.
I’m neither a pixie duster or a Doom and gloomer. Decisions aren’t 0 or 10.
I fully respect the company’s need to make a
Profit. I hope the current leadership learns what Sept. 12, 2001 and mid-late 2008 management learned. Locals matter more than you might wish.

Last edited:

FigmentFan82

So....the 'royalty checks'....

It was my understanding that the Walt Disney Company purchased the rights to the 'Baroque Hoedown' composition wholesale from the writers / owners years ago.
So they would not 'owe' anyone any royalties, and can whatever they wish with the music.

Perhaps i have been mis-informed, but i remember being told this a while back.

-
my guess is OP was being cheeky in the way he phrased it.

carolina_yankee

I could give Paint the Night another chance - technically it was beautiful, it just didn't have the nostalgia appeal for me that Spectro did. Admittedly, we only saw it once. Spectro is still my standout favorite night parade of all time, though I did like MSEP at DCA better than at MK (it looks like the left things out at MK).

If there is a Paint The Night 2.0, I could be all in for that.

SteamboatJoe

I could give Paint the Night another chance - technically it was beautiful, it just didn't have the nostalgia appeal for me that Spectro did. Admittedly, we only saw it once. Spectro is still my standout favorite night parade of all time, though I did like MSEP at DCA better than at MK (it looks like the left things out at MK).

If there is a Paint The Night 2.0, I could be all in for that.

I can only speak for myself but I don't think it would really be fair or realistic of me to compare a parade I first saw at age 9 (Spectro) with a parade I first saw in my 30s (PtN).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom