Trip Report Shrouded In A Daft Disguise *COMPLETED*

Two weeks ago today, I returned home from the most surreal Disney vacation I have ever experienced.

During my last visit in February, I couldn’t have imagined having to wear a face mask and have my temperature taken before being allowed into a park. “Social distancing” wasn’t part of my vocabulary. Hand sanitizer was something I carried in a little bottle in my purse, not something in giant containers at the entrance/exit of every attraction.

No park hopping? No Fastpasses? No FIREWORKS :jawdrop: ?!! Not even on my radar screen.

Like a bolt out of the blue, the pandemic struck and life was dramatically altered. For everyone. And there is no Magic Mirror to tell us when it will be over. For me the pandemic has been a reminder to take nothing for granted ~ and that there can still be joy in the darkest days.

My name is Tuvalu and I have been a WDW annual passholder for nearly 25 years. I was raised on Disney and so were my children. The parks have always been my “escape” from real life. Could they still be an “escape” in the midst of a pandemic? After months of quarantine, I was ready to find out.

My daughter Em was my travel buddy. My husband Woody had reservations, but not for our safety. He was concerned we’d struggle with the restrictions and disappointment with all the changes. He wanted us to come back happy and wasn’t sure we would. Truthfully, I wasn’t sure we would either. After much research and due diligence, Em and I felt prepared to embark on a vacation with few expectations.

6603EDC0-8856-4CF0-9F82-3A98E965AA50.jpeg

Full disclosure ~ I‘ve wrestled with writing a report of our trip. The pandemic and subsequent events have caused much division on this Disney fan forum. I’ve always considered the trip reports section to be a “safe space” and hope it stays that way. My goal is to provide entertainment to the reader, nothing more.

With that in mind.....

DE01E0D7-DEFD-4267-AEA4-9339E1E1B4A7.jpeg

MickeyCB

Not pictured is the placard describing all the “enhanced cleaning” the room received. (I want to know why the rooms aren’t always cleaned that way. :bored: )
I hear you. I've been saying that for months as all businesses, airlines, etc. talk about their ENHANCED cleaning. What the heck were you doing before?!
And regarding the stinky pillowcase, if it happens again, maybe you could try replacing/covering it with a nice large soft t-shirt? Don't know if it would make any difference.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Jealous? Not one bit.

I have no doubt Kelly may be and if this were normal times perhaps I might be, especially knowing I could add to my collection of toiletries. But given the current situation we are all facing, not jealous at all.
I was just inferring the convenient location of our BRV room compared to the one you had during your marathon trip (when you commented you wished your room wasn’t so far down the hall after all your running.) 😉

Matt and Kelly

I was just inferring the convenient location of our BRV room compared to the one you had during your marathon trip (when you commented you wished your room wasn’t so far down the hall after all your running.) 😉

Fair enough. Not the way I read that but I appreciate the clarification.

DisneyGigi

I’m late but I always am right? 😂

So glad you decided to do a report.❤️ I have been binge reading current reports as WDW withdrawals have completely overtaken me. There is a light at the end of the tunnel though- Just trying to figure out whether to do October or November. Any advice you want to throw my way, is always greatly appreciated. ;) I will shoot you a pm, if I may pick your brain a bit.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Same. I almost did it last trip but I felt like I had to fully disclose what antics could go on and DH gave it the👎🏻

Also, I think @Tuvalu should get some sort of a discount from Whispering Canyon based on all of the additional nachos purchases she has inspired.
The like was for the @Tuvalu discount. I think you should just book it and let him pick one no question restaurant. I let my dh think Tiffins was his idea :angelic:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

Yikes...I can't stomach the smell of bleach. 🤢 Looks like I'm bringing my own pillow!

You'll sleep better if you do!

While I can't imagine a pillow stinking of bleach lulling me to sleep either, I have to imagine it was at least some MENTAL comfort :hilarious:
There was no doubt those sheets were sanitized!

Got that daughter “jab” in, I see!🤣🤣
Had to. :cautious: :angelic:

Your photos are gorgeous, but make me sad to see the park so empty. As much as we complain about the crowds, it's always been our happy Place. Thanks for sharing.
Em gets the credit for the gorgeous ones. Thanks for following!

All is right with the world. I was worried about you @Tuvalu. I just chatted with a CKC member about September trips and concern for you. I am so glad you are back. This made my day and I regret being so late but am so glad to share your trip.
Your concern was very sweet, @Big Hair. I and my family are doing well. Hope you enjoy your next trip as much as we did ours.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
The like was for the @Tuvalu discount. I think you should just book it and let him pick one no question restaurant. I let my dh think Tiffins was his idea :angelic:

Haha. True. I did subtly “guide” him a couple times but also respected his input on a couple of cases. It was his first trip as an adult and I didn’t want to scare him off. Next time though...

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hello Tu
I am glad you decided to write this one up for all of us to enjoy (and of course also great for you to relive all the great moments as you compile your thoughts)
Not sure if I am the only one (probably I am) that expected Mickey and Minnie at the gate to be wearing masks!!!
I hear you on this one - not only does it take away the personal touch it is also could result in less staff required.
Loving it so far

Max
So happy to see you, Max!

1597417602469.png

You are not alone in your thinking that the characters should be wearing masks.

I hear you. I've been saying that for months as all businesses, airlines, etc. talk about their ENHANCED cleaning. What the heck were you doing before?!
And regarding the stinky pillowcase, if it happens again, maybe you could try replacing/covering it with a nice large soft t-shirt? Don't know if it would make any difference.
Good suggestion, Cindy!

Why didn't you guys bring Tuvalette? I think that is how you guys have spelled her name. She would have really enjoyed the open space.
Tuvalette and Tuvaleen may get to visit with us in 2021.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Haha. True. I did subtly “guide” him a couple times but also respected his input on a couple of cases. It was his first trip as an adult and I didn’t want to scare him off. Next time though...
You gals are so sly........
1597418378491.png

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday, July 20

I awakened in the pre-dawn early hours of the morning with a sour stomach. My first thought was, “I can’t be sick at Disney!” After getting up and walking around our villa for a little while I felt better and was able to eat breakfast with Em once she woke up.

Then we threw on our swimsuits and headed for the quiet pool. The quiet pool hours were 7 am - 11 pm while the main pool (with lifeguards, slide and kids splash area) didn’t open until 11 am and closed an hour earlier at 10 pm.

We were content with the peaceful sanctuary of the quiet pool ~ for awhile anyway.

546EB30D-8C8D-4C22-87AA-EC7B56E41337.jpeg

Typically Em and I have the quiet pool (almost) to ourselves during early morning. But only a few minutes after I took the above picture more families began to arrive. Families with energetic children. The quiet pool was far from quiet.

But an interesting phenomenon occurred during our morning pool sessions that week....by 10:50 am, the quiet pool was usually devoid of families with children.

Why?

Because those families had gathered up their stuff in order to make the move to the feature pool....which was naturally much more appealing to their children! 🤣

Em and I enjoyed a mix of sun and clouds as we relaxed.

58CA5D31-18CB-416B-9292-05367984F982.jpeg

93boomer

Premium Member
Monday, July 20

I awakened in the pre-dawn early hours of the morning with a sour stomach. My first thought was, “I can’t be sick at Disney!” After getting up and walking around our villa for a little while I felt better and was able to eat breakfast with Em once she woke up.

Then we threw on our swimsuits and headed for the quiet pool. The quiet pool hours were 7 am - 11 pm while the main pool (with lifeguards, slide and kids splash area) didn’t open until 11 am and closed an hour earlier at 10 pm.

We were content with the peaceful sanctuary of the quiet pool ~ for awhile anyway.

View attachment 490931

Typically Em and I have the quiet pool (almost) to ourselves during early morning. But only a few minutes after I took the above picture more families began to arrive. Families with energetic children. The quiet pool was far from quiet.

But an interesting phenomenon occurred during our morning pool sessions that week....by 10:50 am, the quiet pool was usually devoid of families with children.

Why?

Because those families had gathered up their stuff in order to make the move to the feature pool....which was naturally much more appealing to their children! 🤣

Em and I enjoyed a mix of sun and clouds as we relaxed.

View attachment 490930
Love that bathing suit Em!!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Our plan was to have lunch in the MK. After cleaning up (and a couple other tasks) we made our way to the boat dock.

Physical distancing markers on the walkway to the dock.

C97E02DB-FC7A-4BB8-99A7-9F5B36C32670.jpeg

untitled shoot-050.jpg

See the family behind me? Before the boat arrived the boy realized he did not have his MagicBand. They got out of line and did not make it back in time for sailing. :(

untitled shoot-049.jpg

However another family (mom, dad, teen son) showed up and they were the only ones with whom we shared the boat. All three were wearing the same political mask and we were curious if the mask would pose a problem at the entrance.

It didn’t.

We learned during our journey that the WL > Contemporary > Ft. Wilderness boat was not in operation. We were disappointed since tonight we had a dinner ADR at the Contemporary and had hoped to take the boat.

11F27254-F34B-42A4-B6BA-979B83005857.jpeg

Side note: It was very weird to see Bay Lake (and Seven Seas Lagoon) with little boat traffic. All the resort marinas were closed.

untitled shoot-052.jpg

Construction on the expanded Poly/GF boat dock had resumed. Boat service to Poly/GF was unavailable.

9D144DCB-6113-466B-BF7F-151393D51BA9.jpeg

The new security screening area for WL/Ft. Wilderness boat arrivals was completed. (It was a mess on our last visit.)

43481BFE-DD99-4258-A514-658225B8A7C3.jpeg

Em was about to experience the first of many “extra” screenings she had throughout our vacation. 90% of the time she set the detectors off. And every time she was wanded down the beep came from her waist. It perplexed the screeners and it perplexed us.

By the end of the week (after being asked if she was wearing a belt buckle) Em deduced it had to be the double metal clasp on all her Loft shorts. (Be warned, ladies. 🤣 )

Last edited:

DisneyGigi

Our plan was to have lunch in the MK. After cleaning up (and a couple other tasks) we made our way to the boat dock.

Physical distancing markers on the walkway to the dock.

View attachment 490942

View attachment 490943

View attachment 490948

See the family behind me? Before the boat arrived the boy realized he did not have his MagicBand. They got out of line and did not make it back in time for sailing. :(

View attachment 490947

However another family (mom, dad, teen son) showed up and they were the only ones with whom we shared the boat. All three were wearing the same political mask and we were curious if the mask would pose a problem at the entrance.

It didn’t.

We learned during our journey that the WL > Contemporary > Ft. Wilderness boat was not in operation. We were disappointed since tonight we had a dinner ADR at the Contemporary and had hoped to take the boat.

View attachment 490944

Side note: It was very weird to see Bay Lake (and Seven Seas Lagoon) with little boat traffic. All the resort marinas were closed.

View attachment 490949

Construction on the expanded Poly/GF boat dock had resumed. Boat service to Poly/GF was unavailable.

View attachment 490945

The new security screening area for WL/Ft. Wilderness boat arrivals was completed. (It was a mess on our last visit.)

View attachment 490946

Em was about to experience the first of many “extra” screenings she had throughout our vacation. 90% of the time she set the detectors off. And every time she was wanded down the beep came from her waist. It perplexed the screeners and it perplexed us.

By the end of the week (after being asked if she was wearing a belt buckle) Em deduced it had to be the double metal clasp on all her Loft shorts. (Be warned, ladies. 🤣 )

B has a chunk off of a motor He was working on in his leg. (Long story) It would have done more damage to take it out than it was worth, so they left it. It sets off the scanners 9/10 times though even after all these years. 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom