Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kong1802

Too many people are ignoring reality. Complete shelter in place and mandatory mask orders would have (probably) curtailed the virus, but that’s beside the point because this wasn’t done and it likely wasn’t even realistic. Why keep posting ad nauseam that we would be in a better place if it weren’t for all those selfish “stupid” people who won’t comply? Placing blame may make you feel better, but it does no good.

When I initially questioned the effectiveness of masks, the answers all addressed how great things would be if everyone wore them correctly whenever they went out. When I dared question if any experts had an opinion of their effectiveness in the real world where less than half the people wear them and those who do often wear them incorrectly, the answers were pretty much “You’re a stupid selfish person who doesn’t care how many people you kill.” I never once said I opposed masks or wouldn’t wear them.

No one knows enough about this virus to say with certainty how it’s going to behave, and posting the same opinion hundreds of times and berating others doesn’t make one’s opinion more valid. I’m hoping for government officials and experts in the field to come up with realistic ways to move forward, given the fact that people are going to act like people.

And that's a good reasoned take.

We have passed the point of having a good plan out of the gates. I don't think that's debatable.

I think the more coordinated effort we started to see about a month ago has helped things. Just an observable fact.

I hope it continues.

hopemax

Weird. It’s almost like the virus is doing normal virus things regardless of non pharmaceutical interventions. It also helps that Florida didn’t impose lockdowns onto their populace therefore keeping the death rate down. Wonderful what real leadership can accomplish.

Explain Brazil. Their case rate keeps increasing. Sometimes they reach a plateau, but then it starts climbing again. Their death rate has been stuck in the same daily range since the end of May. When does Brazil get this relief that is inevitable because of virus mechanics, regardless of intervention? Sao Paolo has been the epicenter for a long time, but unlike NYC it is still the driver of Brazil's high numbers.

If it just happens, no interventions, it should happen in countries rich and poor, large and small. It's not. Explain why.

Is it the magical other virus that may be responsible for T-cell cross-reactivity. This virus travels the world, but that virus skipped Brazil? Not enough people brought it back with them from their WDW vacations?

FWIW, my answer is despite theoretical lockdowns and mask rules in Brazil, the people didn't "buy in," enforcement is non-existent, so human behavior did not change at the same level as in other countries. This is the result.

kong1802

Explain Brazil. Their case rate keeps increasing. Sometimes they reach a plateau, but then it starts climbing again. Their death rate has been stuck in the same daily range since the end of May. When does Brazil get this relief that is inevitable because of virus mechanics, regardless of intervention? Sao Paolo has been the epicenter for a long time, but unlike NYC it is still the driver of Brazil's high numbers.

If it just happens, no interventions, it should happen in countries rich and poor, large and small. It's not. Explain why.

Is it the magical other virus that may be responsible for T-cell cross-reactivity. This virus travels the world, but that virus skipped Brazil? Not enough people brought it back with them from their WDW vacations?

FWIW, my answer is despite theoretical lockdowns and mask rules in Brazil, the people didn't "buy in," enforcement is non-existent, so human behavior did not change at the same level as in other countries. This is the result.

You already know the answer........

We skip the ones that don't fit the narrative.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Explain Peru.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
WDW is reaping the benefits of ”the way” right now with moth balled resorts, reduced park hours and at least based on that one union 56% of the workers still out of work. Certainly not the economic nirvana we were all promised :(
Ah, that’s true. Things aren’t perfect. Much of the country is still not allowed to travel to or from Florida. So that’s tough for A vacation destination. Luckily Florida kept their nerve, and will come out the other side of this with herd immunity. And they will be safer for it. Their economy will be stronger. Their long term health outlook will be better. And they won’t have to deal with any potential second wave.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ah, that’s true. Things aren’t perfect. Much of the country is still not allowed to travel to or from Florida. So that’s tough for A vacation destination. Luckily Florida kept their nerve, and will come out the other side of this with herd immunity. And they will be safer for it. Their economy will be stronger. Their long term health outlook will be better. And they won’t have to deal with any potential second wave.
I hope that’s true, but it’s really nothing more than a wish. I wished the virus was seasonal and would go away in the summer, I wished the virus would just disappear like SARS (never to be seen again), I hoped those stupid models that showed no deaths by mid-July were actually going to be true. I hoped people could control themselves and follow basic safety precautions for the better of everyone. Wishing and hoping hasn’t gotten me anywhere so far with this virus but maybe this time it will.

Herd immunity hasn’t even come close to happening anywhere yet but maybe FL will be the first. It’s one hell of a gamble.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I hope that’s true, but it’s really nothing more than a wish. I wished the virus was seasonal and would go away in the summer, I wished the virus would just disappear like SARS (never to be seen again), I hoped those stupid models that showed no deaths by mid-July were actually going to be true. I hoped people could control themselves and follow basic safety precautions for the better of everyone. Wishing and hoping hasn’t gotten me anywhere so far with this virus but maybe this time it will.

Herd immunity hasn’t even come close to happening anywhere yet but maybe FL will be the first. It’s one hell of a gamble.
Sweden? London? New York? New Jersey?

btw....New Jersey is gaming the numbers currently, and its extremely frightening. There is no lower limit where things get back to any semblance of normal. Just know that. That’s the end game of this fear mongering. No more normal. Period. End of discussion.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
In an effort to steer this bus back on the road, if given the opportunity for a 1 day/Night stay at the World, would you go to the parks by yourself for the day, if y

I'm curious, post after post, you're so confident on non-proven things, how are you so sure of "herd Immunity", how are you so sure Florida will be "safer" for it and that the long term health outlook will be better. I understand you won't waver on your stance, but what makes you so confident in these thoughts? Honest question.
Here’s the thing. The things that are unproven are the measures we put in place in March and kept in place for months. We threw out decades of epidemiological knowledge in an instant. It’s terrifying.

What makes me confident is what’s staring us all in the face. Sweden’s epidemic is over. The sunbelt is very clearly coming out of their’s. No lockdowns. New York and New Jersey aren’t spiking, aren’t surging, and if you’ve been here, you know it’s not from some compliance with distancing or mask mandates.

Hospitals were never over run in the south. There were deaths, sure, but there always are. I believe they saved lives in the long and medium term. By not locking down, by not panicking, by allowing people to function as human beings. Btw, this was always the plan for managing an epidemic. Until March that is. It’s the right way to do it.

Edit to add....

I think you were also asking if I would go to WDW if there weren’t travel restrictions?

The answer is no, but not fear of corona, I have been to the boardwalk near my families shore house. I don’t worry about that, but I would never, ever, pay the premium Disney charges for the experience currently on offer.

Jedijax719

If you starve have the population and they die, it doesn't mean there was enough food for everyone.

If the virus has nobody to infect, it will burn out. That doesn't mean you reach herd immunity.

In other words, herd immunity doesn't happen JUST because the virus's spread has decreased. The virus' spread has decreased in some places because, well, the virus was somehow kept from spreading. Herd immunity is protection due to antibodies.

RaiseTheShields

Erm, except, people did actually voluntarily shelter in place during the lockdown:

Yes, Florida's order was not as strict as say NY; and i believe the merits of what reopened when can definitely be debated (looking at you crowded bars, youth sports leagues, etc.); and we should be wearing masks, avoiding large groups, etc.

But it's not *quite* accurate to say "there wasn't really a shelter-in-place because people". People were staying home and self "locking down"
The shelter-in-place was a failure because people got tired of staying home and leaders reopened too quickly. Now here we are with mask mandates and physical distancing with no personal responsibility or accountability from people and leaders.

hopemax

Explain Peru.
This Peru where 7-day averages show cases are climbing, and deaths are in a plateau?

We're looking for bell curves. Peru is not that.

EDIT: Also this Peru, that just instituted new restrictions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom