Mirror Disneyland - Version 2.0 - An Alternate History

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
In my earliest days of Armchair Imagineering, all the way back in 2008, I produced a script for a California-themed Country Bear show that was “leaked” from Visions Fantastic and circulated as a “leaked script” for a coming revival at DCA. This, of course, was debunked, but in high school I found the ordeal rather humorous. That show, which was “A Tribute to the Music & Lore of California,” directly inspired today’s addition to the Mirror Disneyland project. In the sense... It didn't work. In fact, I’ve completely dropped the “American West” theme from the promised project, and revisited the attraction's roots. Gone is the Country Bear Revue altogether. Instead, I have opted for additions and changes to the original three shows, plus the brand-new Halloween show.

The intro below is borrowed heavily from Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real. Enjoy.

apZSNmk0yXen7rpWVcjviFwsiz-tAn0N2ih6HRe66PGrWNFRxk4LHocgejzDdi32C1oqUJWJwLJCi5ZJrOQBtPXC8eB3IAUhoI8k_3norHhKNDPAziwROO-kM3ELmAgF_MTuE6tR

In 1966, as Imagineer Marc Davis was creating character designs and storyboard sketches for a new attraction, he was paid a special and memorable visit. At the time, plans were in the works for a ski resort development in Northern California called Mineral King. Marc, an animator turned Imagineer, was developing ideas for an Audio-Animatronics musical revue for Mineral King that would feature a cast of musical, singing bears. Whenever Marc was deeply involved with an idea, he would literally cover his office walls with sketches.

One day, as Walt so often did, he stopped in to see what Marc was up to. From literally hundreds of pinned-up sketches, he immediately singled out one that featured a bear playing a tuba, and began to laugh hysterically. He told Marc, between guffaws, that he “really had a winner with these musical bears.”

As Walt began to leave the office, he turned and said, “Goodbye, Marc.” This took the artist by surprise as Walt never said goodbye, but rather, always said, “so long” or “see ya.” Walt died a few days later. Marc believes this was the last time Walt ever had a good laugh.

The Mineral King was canceled, but the bears refused to go into hibernation. In 1971, they made their debut at Walt Disney World, where they put on a hand-clappin’, foot stompin’ centerpiece show called Country Bear Jamboree. The “Bear Show” was such a rousing hit there that plans for creating a duplicate at Disneyland began almost immediately. The southwest section of Frontierland, once the location of the Indian Village, became the Pacific Northwest of Folktale Forest, opening in March 1972. And since then, they have entertained millions of guests at Walt Disney World, Disneyland, and Tokyo Disneyland. The echo of Walt’s laugh lives on today.

MDzqWQG6gZWem6rV4XSpd9M_TYjW58JmH5lT6s8PkOsL8-oJBCy9I2Ye2hjbANSYF7_jL5i7sWsBx9WWymokPHEh_1DpGKTg4ewonTTpNwbw8CrOleq7j7DY9hNpLRsbNhOISUUa

Country Bear Jamboree, opening on an extended run, was at first, the hit show and sole attraction of Disneyland’s then-official eighth land, Folktale Forest. Though later renamed “Country Bear Playhouse” to enjoy the success of interchangeable shows, the look of the playhouse has never changed. The "underground" theater was located beyond a covered bridge and across a lazy stream, nestled in a forested hillside surrounded by Australian tree ferns and azaleas. Wood carved bears and humorous signposts lead to the entrance of the rustic, playhouse lobby.

The seasonal Country Bear Christmas Special debuted in 1984, and the summer-themed Country Bear Vacation Hoedown followed in 1986. In 1993, the Country Bear Halloween Hootenanny debuted. In 2012, both the Walt Disney World and Disneyland Country Bear shows closed for refurbishment. The original Jamboree returned on both coasts, albeit condensed to better accommodate more audiences per day.

Country Bear Playhouse Showtimes

Country Bear Jamboree:
January - May
Country Bear Vacation Hoedown: June - August
Country Bear Halloween Hootenanny:
September - October
Country Bear Christmas Special: November - December

aWXidD5Gh8KSfEJMuLDNPth8cxlZOEPGEpwTYTezi5prM8D0zhKwBtEh06YBVUU2DwdkVX5G_ooQMOkVcJJLYNsZBPq9F6_Z99JJLJ2Rsz9FwAuIr5Zbk7UX2FJwxK-oIfaRaWJ_

The warm lobby of Country Bear Playhouse is “decorated” with the dressing room doors of the various ursine performers, each built to the exact height, width, and shape of its respective bear. Tiffany-style wall lights offer a relaxed warmth to the room, with soothing bluegrass and country themes serving as an appropriate underscore while we wait for the next show. Throughout the lobby are various awards, photographs, posters, and records detailing the acclaimed histories of the various Country Bear performers, always humorous and never dull. Most notable though is a framed series of Marc Davis “bear-i-catures,” one for each of the famous stars of the show.

Like the main theater itself, the lobby is decorated based on the season. For Christmas, evergreen garland and a bear-inspired Christmas Tree. For Halloween, bear-shaped jack-o-lanterns and spooky autumn bunting.

A number of Country Bear-themed arcade cabinets also populate the lobby, including “Hoofin’ Henry,” where we make a marionette Henry dance, and “Big Al’s Clock,” among others. But, we’ll save the video games for Pecos Bill’s Wilderness Arcade next door, for now, the attendant has called us in as the automatic theater doors have opened and the rustic, northwoods lodge of “Grizzly Hall” beckons for us to come inside and enjoy the show.

e7-ncn_vONEes2ZFMtBh4BzuTWCPlDPto-iY54th9KU1euf28xdkhqRVlX33Gs_c4zrjmhwdc2F2iMXMJ64jqQsbTfHHJKoCdWX2BXtplRsz2EgT0JVTV2Mx_FQkdh1A-6WvvYW0

Imagineer Dorothea Redmond created the styling for the rustic interior of the Country Bear Playhouse, all too reminiscent of a northwoods saloon or dance hall. Ornate carvings and elegant, brass designs frame each of the five performance stages in Grizzly Hall, each concealed by a velvet, red curtain with fringed, yellow trim. The words “Country Bear Playhouse” are embroidered in gold across the large curtain of Stage #3, the largest and centermost of the five stages. In the framing above Stage #3, we find a portrait of the dignified and stately Ursus H. Bear, founder of Grizzly Hall and the Country Bear Playhouse.

On the left-hand side of the playhouse, we notice a familiar set of three mounted trophy heads: Buff, a buffalo, Melvin, a moose, and Max, a stag deer. On the right-hand side, we notice a curtained opera box, though this “stage” will not be used for today’s performance…

Having procured our seat on one of several log-built benches, we anxiously wait for the show to start. The cheerful (and human) attendant of Grizzly Hall has a few last reminders before we begin. Following this, the lights dim, and spotlights are shone on the three heads.

Country Bear Jamboree

tFSsHfnz2Cd8i3YJZmD7ljuHIZ99ufMEpqw0UVL6MeIxx14eDFoJgmv4X0JJS4EfxAb4dJmK22sitIZMnFOf6RVArodwQMHXb4VR0AH2O9rftifsLl4JdyLDBXqbb0P-I46ZuKqx

The original Jamboree show is the condensed version of the original, as seen in the video above. The only major difference is "Fractured Folk Song" is retained, as well as some of the cut dialogue from the three mounted heads. "Ole' Slew Foot" also retains its cut verse and interlude of standard country whoopin' and hollerin' from the bears. Otherwise, the show is practically the same.

1. "Pianjo" - Gomer and Henry
2. "The Bear Band Serenade" - The Five Bear Rugs and Henry
3. "If You Can't Bite, Don't Growl" - Ernest and the Five Bear Rugs
4. "Fractured Folk Song" - Wendell and Henry
5. "My Woman Ain't Pretty (But She Don't Swear None)" - Liver Lips McGrowl
6. "Mama, Don't Whip Little Buford" - Wendell and Henry
7. "Tears Will Be the Chaser For Your Wine" - Trixie
8. "How Long Will My Baby Be Gone" - Terrence
9. "All the Guys That Turn Me On Turn Me Down" - The Sun Bonnet Trio
10. "Heart, We Did All That We Could" - Teddi Barra
11. "Blood on the Saddle" - Big Al
12. "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" - Henry and Sammy
13. "Ole Slew Foot" - Company (minus Ernest and Trixie, and Big Al who continues singing "Blood on the Saddle")
14. "Come Again" - Henry, Sammy, Max, Buff & Melvin

Country Bear Vacation Hoedown

1594745946807.png

The Vacation Hoedown remains almost entirely the same as the 1986 original. "Rocky Top," however, is cut. Ernest's song "Nature" is cut and replaced with "I've Been Everywhere" by Johnny Cash, with revised lyrics for a California theme, as inspired by "The Muppets Take the Hollywood Bowl." Big Al's original song "On My Way To Your Heart" is replaced with "Home on the Range."

1. "The Great Outdoors" - Henry and the Five Bear Rugs
2. "Life's No Picnic Without You" - Trixie
3. "On the Road Again" - Wendell
4. "We Can Make It To The Top" - Liver Lips McGrowl (as Elvis)
5. "California Bears" - The Sun Bonnet Trio, Gomer, Max, Buff & Melvin
6. "Two Different Worlds" - Terrence & Dolores, the Octopus
7. "I've Been Everywhere" - Ernest
8. "Singin' In the Rain" - Teddi Barra and Henry
9. "Ghost Riders In The Sky" - The Five Bear Rugs
10. "Home on the Range" - Big Al
12. Thank God I'm a Country Bear" - Company (except Ernest and Trixie)

Now, here are excerpts from the "script" so you can see the lyrics for the two new songs.

(ERNEST THE DUDE appears on STAGE #1, playing the fiddle. ERNEST has the backdrop of Route 66 behind him.)

ZaOhtnoO8TfSXbiVvMmdASu_1WNyF-bjf8M1vAU0B7i60POHCNw7N3tKTf8MRguPRSJgHCa-InxtVlbfgQW8_HtEityAnysKZUAu16jx1XliDLTx0QjGhLfg3OJ6ucnX0IFJd5_J

ERNEST: I've been everywhere, man
I've been everywhere, man
Crossed the desert's bare, man
I've breathed the mountain air, man
Of travel I've a ‘had my share, man
I've been everywhere

MAX: Sing it!

(A slideshow appears on Stage #3 and shows a postcard from each city that ERNEST says he has visited - incredibly fast, one after the other.)

ERNEST: I've been to Hollywood, Inglewood, Westwood, Eagle Rock,
Glenwood, Lakewood, Packwood, Norwalk,
Glendale, Palmdale, Irwindale, Van Nuys,
Hidden Hills, Bunker Hill, Mandeville, 405,
La Mirada, La Cañada, and Gardena,
West Covina, Pasadena, Catalina, See-What-I-Mean-A?!

Crossed the desert's bare, man
I’ve been everywhere, man
I’ve been everywhere… (His curtain closes.)

(The chirping crickets, hooting owls, and other nocturnal sound effects following "Ghost Riders in the Sky" continue, as we hear the familiar, out-of-tune guitar cords of BIG AL. The curtain on STAGE #1 opens to reveal a befuddled BIG AL dressed in a too-tiny cowboy costume, complete with boots. He is backed by the painted backdrop of a Western prairie at sunset.)

BIG AL: Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam
Where the deer and the antelope play (we hear a dog howl)
Where seldom is heard a discouraging word
And the skies are not cloudy all day

(Now, an entire chorus of dogs howl in time with the music.)

Home, home on the range
Where the deer and the antelope play
Where seldom is heard a discouraging word
And the skies are not cloudy all day (Blackout.)

Country Bear Christmas Special

pw3T9TrLQc-6W8WCLWSzNuFu1TFNXRS4aPV1h08O10KDnoh_ijZ6jML0BY8PLHgavZBs7hSq8UFSysxIw2Aj2OgASjDE3A0eFO6g9KK58ylYDZfjP1VN1YC_JsOGVsl42Nb_jQDp

Very few changes to what I would consider the perfect Christmas attraction. Big Al's original song, "Another New Year" is swapped for a version of "Auld Lang Syne" from the Tokyo Disneyland version.

1. "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" - Melvin
2. "It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas" - Henry & Gomer
3. "Tracks in the Snow" - Henry and the Five Bear Rugs
4. "Twelve Days of Christmas (Oh, What a Christmas)" - Wendell
5. "The Hibernating Blues" - Trixie
6. "Deck the Halls" - The Five Bear Rugs
7. "Rock and Roll Santa" - Liver Lips McGrowl & Gomer
8. "Blue Christmas" - Terrence & a Penguin
9. "Sleigh Ride" - The Sun Bonnet Trio, Max, Buff & Melvin
10. "Hungry as a Bear" - Ernest and the Five Bear Rugs
11. "The Christmas Song" - Henry and Teddi Barra
12. "Auld Lang Syne" - Big Al
13. "Let It Snow/Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer/Winter Wonderland" - Company (except Ernest and Trixie)

1594747819935.png

(Instrumental of "Auld Lang Syne" is heard.)

MAX: I sure am lookin' forward to the New Year.

BUFF: Yep! Ain't nothin' like a brand, new year to lift your spirits! (Music is interrupted by a sour guitar cord.) Of course, I could be wrong...

(The curtain of STAGE #1 parts to reveal BIG AL, appearing to have partied too hard. He is dressed as Baby New Year, complete with a diaper and sash. He wears a party hat, an ice pack, and is surrounded by confetti, streamers and deflated balloons, as well as a "Happy New Year" banner with various years etched on over and over again, always X'd out for the following year to replace it. Hound dogs howl in time with AL's music.)

BIG AL: The time has come to celebrate
And bring in the New Year
But my wife took off with my hound dog
And left me sittin' here.

I miss my old hound dog, my dear
I miss that old hound dog!
It's gonna be a sad New Year
Without my old hound dog. (Blackout.)

Country Bear Halloween Hootenanny

COMING SOON!

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I have to give credit to my buddy @monkey92514 for coming up with the idea for the Big Al segment. I won't spoil that just yet...

Country Bear Halloween Hootenanny

1594845702274.png

The Country Bear Halloween Hootenanny opened at Disneyland on September 25, 1993, a direct response to the Halloween offers from the growing competition in Southern California: Knott's Scary Farm and Universal's Halloween Horror Nights. It seemed fitting that the Country Bears, the first Disney attraction to ever receive a Christmas overlay, would also be the first Disney attraction to receive a Halloween makeover. The overlay would premiere at Walt Disney World in 1994, and at Tokyo Disneyland in 1996.

"Banjos 'n' fiddles, snakes in a pond, send us some bruins from regions beyond! The Country Bear Halloween Hootenanny is sure to scare yer boots off in this downhome, foot-stompin', hand-clappin', monster-mashin', sing-along spooktacular! With a cast of more than 20 Audio-Animatronics bears, expect all treats...with some tricks!"
- The Disneyland News,

The same performing bears who used to present the Country Bear Jamboree have a new show for the Halloween season - with spooky songs, macabre costumes, new props, and even a replacement for the old show's raccoon: a vampire bat. The trail leading to the old Playhouse is lined with clever jack-o-lanterns and cute decorations, many in which resemble ursine country folk. Some of the usual wood carvings of bears that line the queue have been dressed in eye-masks and ghostly bedsheets, while others hold candy buckets full of honeycomb and salmon.

The warm lobby of Country Bear Playhouse is “decorated” with the dressing room doors of the various ursine performers, each built to the exact height, width, and shape of its respective bear. Tiffany-style wall lights offer a relaxed warmth to the room, with soothing bluegrass and country themes of familiar Halloween tunes (i.e. "Monster Mash") serving as an appropriate underscore while we wait for the next show. Throughout the lobby are various awards, photographs, posters, and records detailing the acclaimed histories of the various performers, always humorous and never dull. Most notable though is a framed series of Marc Davis “bear-i-catures,” one for each of the famous stars of the show.

The lobby is filled with purple, orange and black bunting, glowing jack-o-lanterns in the shape of bears, and cute little signs tacked onto the dressing room doors, reading such messages as "Trick 'r Treat!" Or, "Thank God I'm a Country Boo!" Country Bear-themed arcade cabinets populate the lobby, though each is given a Halloween makeover. But we’ll save the video games for Pecos Bill’s Wilderness Arcade. For now, the attendant has called us in as the automatic theater doors have opened and the rustic, northwoods lodge of “Grizzly Hall” beckons for us to come inside and get spooked.

e7-ncn_vONEes2ZFMtBh4BzuTWCPlDPto-iY54th9KU1euf28xdkhqRVlX33Gs_c4zrjmhwdc2F2iMXMJ64jqQsbTfHHJKoCdWX2BXtplRsz2EgT0JVTV2Mx_FQkdh1A-6WvvYW0

Imagineer Dorothea Redmond created the styling for the rustic interior of the Country Bear Playhouse, all too reminiscent of a northwoods saloon or dance hall. Ornate carvings and elegant, brass designs frame each of the five performance stages in Grizzly Hall, each concealed by a velvet, red curtain with fringed, yellow trim. The words “Country Bear Playhouse” are embroidered in gold across the large curtain of Stage #3, the largest and centermost of the five stages. In the framing above Stage #3, we find a portrait of the dignified and stately Ursus H. Bear, founder of Grizzly Hall and the Country Bear Playhouse.

Each of the five performance stages have been framed with purple, orange and black bunting. Each stage itself is populated by no more than three glowing jack-o-lanterns that perpetually flicker through the entire show. On the left-hand side of the playhouse, we notice a familiar set of three mounted trophy heads: Buff, a buffalo, Melvin, a moose, and Max, a stag deer. On the right-hand side, we notice a curtained opera box, a set piece used exclusively for the Halloween show. The trophy heads are dressed for the occasion: Buff as a mad scientist, with crazed wig and stethoscope, Melvin as a sheet ghost, with his eyes and antlers visible, and Max as Frankenstein's Monster, with green fur, stitches, and bolts in his neck.

Having procured our seat on one of several log-built benches, we wait for the show to start. The theater is filled with the ambient noise of crickets and nocturnal creatures. The human attendant of Grizzly Hall has a few last reminders before we begin. Following this, the lights dim, and a spotlight is shown on the three heads... Suddenly, we hear an electric jolt, as the lights flicker on Max.

MAX: (Waking up, groaning) Aggggh!

BUFF: It's alive! It's alive!

MELVIN: Golly!

MAX: (Still groaning) Aggggh! (He begins to cough. The lights stop flickering) Yuck!

BUFF: What's the matter? Got a frog in your throat?

MELVIN: No, more like bolts in his neck!

MAX: Now that's the spirit.

MELVIN: (Frightened) Spirit?! Where?!

(Thunder and lightning. The theater is in a brief blackout as the Stage #4 curtain opens. HENRY is revealed, dressed as Dracula, complete with exaggerated fangs, a black wig with a widow's peak, a cape, and his usual shirt front. He speaks in a bad Transylvanian accent.)

MAX: (Shocked) It's Henry!

HENRY: No, not Henry... I'm the fearsome vamp-bear!

BUFF: (Dryly) Gee, I'm so scared.

MELVIN: Yeah! We were so scared we lost our heads. Heh-heh.

HENRY: (Dropping the accent) Ah, heck. I can't keep up with the silly accent anyhow, hah-hah. (Calling off) Gomer! Let's give these folks a treat...

(GOMER rises from Stage #3, dressed as the Phantom of the Opera, complete with the famous mask. He plays a spooky tune. His piano has fake organ pipes duct-taped to its back.)

HENRY (cont.): (Sings) Trick or Treat
Trick or Treat
Trick or Treat for Halloween

Better give a treat that's good to eat
If you wanna keep life serene

Trick or Treat
Trick or Treat
Trick or Treat the whole night through
Us bears and silly spooks alike have a special treat for you!

(Speaks) Howdy, folks! Welcome to this spooktacular scream-along at the creepy, old Country Bear Jamboree! The autumn leaves are fallin', we got our costumes all picked out, and the jack-o-lanterns are rarin' to go for this Halloween Hootenanny! What do you say, boys?

BUFF, MAX & MELVIN: Trick 'r Treat!

HENRY & TROPHY HEADS: (Sings) So when Ghosts and Goblins by the score
Ring the bell on your front door
Better not be stingy or your nightmares will come true!

(GOMER lowers back down.)

TROPHY HEADS: Boooooo!!

HENRY: (Speaks) Ladies and gents, boys and ghouls... The Five Scare Rugs!

(Thunder and lightning. HENRY's curtain closes. The FIVE BEAR RUGS are dimly lit on a log platform on Stage #3. The platform inches forward as the ursine performers begin to yip and holler, wildly playing. The band includes ZEKE on the banjo and dishpan, dressed as a pirate, ZEB on the fiddle, dressed as a werewolf, TED on the cornjug and washboard, dressed as a scarecrow, FRED on the mouthharp, dressed as a fairy in a tutu, and TENNESSEE on the one-stringed "Thing," dressed as a skeleton. BABY OSCAR sits on the corner of the platform with his teddy bear, dressed as Winnie the Pooh. Behind the bears is the painted backdrop of a haunted prairie under the light of the full moon, with literal "ghost riders" in the sky.)

ZEKE: An old cowpoke went ridin' out one dark and windy day.

TENNESSEE: Upon a ridge he rested as he went upon his way.

ZEB: When all at once a mighty herd of red-eyed cows he saw...

FIVE BEAR RUGS: A-plowing through the ragged sky and up the cloudy draw.
Yippie-yi-ayyyy.
Yippie-yi-ooooh.
Ghost Riders in the sky.

ZEKE: Their brands were still on fire,
their hooves were made of steel.

TENNESSEE: Their horns were black and shiny,
and their hot breath he could feel.

ZEB: A bolt of fear went through him.
as they thundered through the sky.

FIVE BEAR RUGS: For he saw the Riders comin' hard,
and he heard their mournful cry.
Yippie-yi-ayyyy.
Yippie-yi-ooooh.
Ghost Riders in the sky.

(Thunder and lightning strike, as the platform wheels back into the darkness of Stage #3. The curtain closes. WENDELL rises from Stage #3. He is dressed as a western sheriff and is holding a squeaky stress toy which he frequently grips. A scrim appears behind him, showing a cemetery somewhere in the desert, titled "Boot Hill." A number of crooked tombstones and animal bones litter the landscape. A decrepit church is in the far background. We hear a sinister laugh, followed by musical notes.)

WENDELL: (Scared, singing) It was a dark and stormy night,
Not a star was in sight.
In a graveyard by the church way up on the hill.

(We hear an EVIL LAUGH. WENDELL squeaks his stress toy.)

Now the ghosts come out to play
Then I thought I heard one say,
"I've got you, I'll keep you, I always will..."

(EVIL LAUGH. The disembodied VOICE starts singing to WENDELL. He's visibly frightened.)

VOICE: (Unseen) Now I've got you where I want you,
I'm gonna keep you where I've got you
For you're the one that has a buck-toothed jaw... (EVIL LAUGH)

WENDELL: This here's too spooky for me! (Calls off) Henry! (HENRY appears on Stage #2 with a guitar.)

HENRY: Wendell, what's wrong?

WENDELL: There's a ghost comin' after me!

HENRY: Now, Wendell. Everyone knows there's no such thing as ghosts...

VOICE: (Unseen) Yeah! Don't be such a scaredy-cat! (EVIL LAUGH)

WENDELL: AGHHHHHH!

(WENDELL lowers back down gripping his stress toy over and over. Stage #3's curtain closes.)

HENRY: Hah-hah. Sorry, folks. (Clears throat) And now, something a little more sultry and a lot less spooky. Our own bountiful harvest: Trixie...

(Stage #5 opens and reveals TRIXIE. She sits on a hay bale. A "snowman" made of pumpkins stands behind her, along with a rake and a pile of autumn leaves. She wears a themed tutu and hair ribbon, and holds a cup of coffee in one hand and a tiny plate in the other. While she sings, autumn leaves are projected falling throughout the theater.)

TRIXIE: (Sings) The falling leaves
Drift by the window
The autumn leaves
Of red and gold

BUFF: Sing, it gal!

TRIXIE: (Sings) I see your lips
The summer kisses
The sunburned claws
I used to hold

MAX: Wowie!

TRIXIE: (Sings) Since you went away
The days grow long
And soon I'll hear
Old winter's song

MELVIN: Gosh, golly!

TRIXIE: (Sings) But I miss you most of all
My darling
When autumn leaves
Start to fall...

BUFF: My, oh my.

HENRY: That sure was beautiful, Trixie.

TRIXIE: Hee-hee. Thank ya, Henry! Say, wanna be my date to the Halloween party?

HENRY: Well, gee, uh, Trixie, I don't know what to say!

MAX: Say somethin'!

(TRIXIE's curtain closes.)

BUFF: C'mon, lover bear... You scared?

HENRY: Now, boys, watch your manners. (Calling off) Rufus!

RUFUS: (Offstage) Huh?

HENRY: Let's shine a light on our guest stars.

RUFUS: (Offstage) Ugh...

(RUFUS breathes heavily and is heard lumbering about upstairs. An electric jolt is heard and the opera box on the right-hand side of the theater is given a spotlight. GOMER rises. This time, his piano sounds like a sinister pipe organ.)

HENRY: Visiting Grizzly Hall from Chickapin Hill and the old Laughin' Place, the tale "End of Billy the Kid," sung by the Boot Hill Boys!

(The curtains concealing the opera box part to reveal a familiar set of vultures, the BOOT HILL BOYS perched on a tree. GOMER continues playing the "organ" under their performance. HENRY's curtain closes.)

1594853941856.png

VULTURE #1: (Spoken) Billy was a bad guy and carried a big gun.

VULTURE #2: (Spoken) He was always after lawmen and kept them on the run.

(Loud organ interlude.)

VULTURE #1: One day he met a bandit...

VULTURE #2: Who was a whole lot badder...

BOTH: Now Billy's dead and gone, and we ain't none the sadder! Hee-hee-hee...

(Curtain closes. We hear an electric guitar strumming from behind Stage #4. Dressed as an Egyptian mummy and playing a sarcophagi-shaped guitar, LIVER LIPS MCGROWL appears, doing his best Elvis Presley impression.)

LIVER LIPS: (Spoken) Darlin', you got all me wrapped up! You see...

TROPHY HEADS: (Singing backup) Badoo-uh! Badoo-uh!

LIVER LIPS: (Sings) I was a teenage monster!

TROPHY HEADS: Badoo-uh! Badoo-uh!

LIVER LIPS: A horrible teenager monster!

LIVER LIPS: Eighty pounds of hair all over my face!
Long fingernails, my clothes a disgrace.
Ah-uh, ah-uh.

LIVER LIPS: (Spoken) You see, my girl, well, uh...
(Sings) She made me cut my hair!

TROPHY HEADS: (Still singing backup) Yeah! Yeah!

LIVER LIPS: Scrub my face!

TROPHY HEADS: Made you a what?

LIVER LIPS: Made me a member of the ursine race.
Mirror, mirror, look and see...
Is that a clean-cut, crew-cut me?

TROPHY HEADS: Teenage monster, golly-gee!

LIVER LIPS: (Spoken. We hear girls screaming and cheering) I was a teenage monster, baby. Still am. Always will. Thank ya. Thank ya very much.

(Curtain closes. TERRENCE appears on Stage #2 dressed as a scientist. He holds a bubbling potion and is backed by a rack of other colorful elixirs.)

BUFF: Hey, that's my costume!

MAX: Shh!

(The SUN BONNET TRIO rises from Stage #3, dressed as lab assistants. A slideshow appears right above the SUN BONNET TRIO.)

TERRENCE: I was working in the lab, late one night.
(The slide shows Terrence working on a Frankenstein Monster in a laboratory, also a bear.)
When my eyes beheld an eerie sight.
(The Creature has begun to rise from his slab, much to Terrence's shock.)
For my monster from his slab, began to rise
And suddenly to my surprise...
(The Monster looks menacingly at the "camera.")

SUN BONNETS: He did the mash!
(The Monster is dancing in front of a starburst.)

TERRENCE: He did the Monster Mash!

SUN BONNETS: The Monster Mash!
(The Monster and Terrence dance together.)

TERRENCE: It was a graveyard smash!
(The Monster and Terrence frolic through a graveyard.)

TERRENCE: It caught on in a flash!
(More monsters, including a were-bear, a vamp-bear, and a swamp creature have gathered around dancing.)

(The SUN BONNETS continue singing backup "Waoo's.")

TERRENCE: He did the Monster Mash!
(A vamp-bear rocks out on the banjo.)
Everything's cool, Drac's a part of the band
And my Monster Mash is the hit of the land
(Bear skeletons dance with living bears.)
For you, the living this mash was meant too
(A picture of living bears looking at the camera with shock.)
When you get to my door, tell them Terrence sent you
(Terrence points at the "camera." The slide show ends and the curtain closes. TERRENCE speaks in a weird voice and starts shaking.)
Mmmm... MASH GOOD!

SUN BONNETS: Waoo, Monster Mash, waoo...

BUFF: Easy, Terrence, you impetuous young boy!

SUN BONNETS: Monster Mash, waoo, Monster Mash, waoo...

TERRENCE: MASH GOOD! GRRRR!

(His curtain closes. The SUN BONNETS giggle as they lower back into the stage. We hear crazed fiddle music. Stage #3 opens to reveal the FIVE BEAR RUGS once again. ERNEST THE DUDE appears on Stage #1, playing the fiddle manically. He's dressed as a vampire hunter, wearing a necklace of garlic, a khaki trench coat, and playing the fiddle with a wooden stake. The BEAR RUGS sing and play backup, singing "Aahh's.")

ERNEST: I heard strange noises coming from a house on the hill
So I crept up to the window and looked over the sill
My heart almost stopped, I nearly died of fright
By the dim candlelight I saw the strangest sight
There was Frankenstein and Dracula and Wolfman too
Dancin' with some zombies, what a ghastly crew
The ol' ugly vampire was doing the bop
And everything was rocking at the monster's hop

ZEKE: The bats were flying and the room was full
The crazy witch doctor was dancing with a ghoul

ZEB: The organ was playing, but no-one was there

TENNESSEE: And the headless horseman was combing his hair

ALL: There was Frankenstein and Dracula and Wolfman too
Dancin' with some zombies, what a ghastly crew
The ol' ugly vampire was doing the bop
And everything was rocking at the monster's hop

(OSCAR squeaks his bear. Blackout. Stage #2 opens to reveal HENRY and his guitar once more. The music is calm.)

HENRY: What Halloween Hootenanny would be complete without a bit of old black magic? And here she is now, the enchanted Teddi Barra.

(TEDDI BARRA lowers from the ceiling, dressed as a traditional witch, a broomstick at her side. The ropes of her swing are embroidered in harvest garland. The TWO sing a slow refrain.)

TEDDI: (Singing and swinging) That old black magic has me in its spell,

HENRY: That old black magic that you weave so well.
Icy fingers up and down my spine

TEDDI: That same old witchcraft when your eyes meet mine.

HENRY: That same old tingle that I feel inside,

TEDDI: When that elevator starts its ride
Baby, 'round and 'round I go, up and down I go

HENRY: Like a leaf that's caught in the tide.

TEDDI: I should stay away, but what can I do?
I hear your name and I'm a flame

HENRY: A flame with such a burning desire

TEDDI: That only your kiss

HENRY: Can put out the fire.

BOTH: Baby, 'round and 'round I go, up and down I go
In a spin, I'm loving the spin I'm in,
Under that old black magic called love. (TEDDI begins to ascend back into the ceiling.)
In a spin, I'm loving the spin I'm in,
Under that old black magic called love.

TEDDI: (Spoken) Happy Halloween, Henry! Wanna come up here and bob for apples?

HENRY: (Spoken) Hah-hah. As soon as I sharpen my fangs, I'll be there!

(Blackout. "Grim, Grinning Ghosts" plays under the scene in an eerie, country-western arrangement. A single light shines on Stage #1. We hear an out-of-tune note. The curtain opens to reveal BIG AL, dressed in an ill-fitting suit. He holds a miniature book titled "The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe.")

BIG AL: (Spoken, as the music continues) Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore—
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my cavern door.
In there stepped a stately Raven of the saintly days of yore; (A RAVEN pokes up from underneath AL's tiny hat. AL's eyes get wide.)
Perched upon my head just beneath my cavern door—
Perched, and sat, and

RAVEN: Nothing more!

BIG AL: Then this kooky bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore,
“Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou,” I said, “art sure no craven,
Ghastly grim and ancient Raven wandering from the Nightly shore—

RAVEN: Huh?!

BIG AL: Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night’s Plutonian shore!”
Quoth the Raven...

RAVEN: Oh... “Nevermore.”

(The curtain closes. The music stops. Stage #5 opens. HENRY has a black mass of fur bulging from the top of his head, though we don't know what.)

HENRY: On the southern coast of England
There's a legend people tell
Of days long ago
When the great Scarecrow
Would ride from the jaws of hell (the mass of fur is revealed to be BATTY, a grinning vampire bat.)
And laugh
With a fiendish yell

BATTY: Hahahahaha!

HENRY & BATTY: Scarecrow (Scarecrow)
Scarecrow (Scarecrow)
The soldiers of the king feared his name
Scare -

(During this verse, the curtain opens again on BIG AL, who continues to read from "The Raven" over HENRY and BATTY's performance.)

BIG AL: And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting

HENRY: (Spoken) Hey, hold the phone down there, you had your turn!

BATTY: Henry, Henry! We need help!

BIG AL: On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have...

HENRY: Hey, gang - let's thrill 'em!

(All curtains open again to reveal the whole cast of BEARS, including TEDDI BARRA from above. BIG AL is startled and stops reciting the poem. The BEARS perform a country-western arrangement of Michael Jackson's "Thriller." The audience claps along.)

^ Kind of like this, but not as slow. More upbeat.

TERRENCE: It's close to midnight and something evil's lurkin' in the dark

LIVER LIPS: Under the moonlight you see a sight that almost stops your heart

SUN BONNET TRIO: You try to scream but terror takes the sound before you make it

WENDELL: You start to freeze as horror looks you right between the eyes,

BIG AL: You're paralyzed

COMPANY: 'Cause this is thriller, thriller night
And no one's gonna save you from the beast about to strike
You know it's thriller, thriller night
You're fighting for your life inside a killer, thriller tonight

(The opera box curtain opens)

VULTURE #1: Darkness falls across the land
The midnight hour is close at hand

VULTURE #2: Creatures crawl in search of blood
To terrorize y'all's neighborhood

VULTURE #1: The foulest stench is in the air
The funk of forty thousand years

VULTURE #2: And grisly ghouls from every tomb
Are closing in to seal your doom

VULTURE #1: And though you fight to stay alive
Your body starts to shiver

HENRY: For no mere mortal can survive
The evil of the thriller!

COMPANY: 'Cause this is thriller, thriller night
Girl, I can thrill you more than any ghoul could ever dare try
Thriller, thriller night
So let me hold you tight and share a killer, thriller
Tonight!

(Curtains close and lights dim. All the BEARS and ANIMALS laugh and holler in glee as the show concludes.)

HENRY: Well, folks, this concludes our show. Thanks for bearin' with us to the end, and we hope you all have a safe and memorable Halloween. What'd'ya say, Batty?

BATTY: I say, y'all crawl back now, ya hear?

(The automatic doors open beneath Max, Buff and Melvin. The attendant gives us one last spiel before we can safely exit. The remaining CAST bid us farewell through song.)

HENRY & BATTY: We hope that you’ll be crawlin' back again.
You'll leave your crypt and see us now and then.
We’ve done our very best to scare
We've spooked and hollered everywhere,
We hope that you’ll be crawlin' back again.

HENRY, BATTY, & TROPHY HEADS: Crawl again.

MAX: Come and haunt!

HENRY, BATTY, & TROPHY HEADS: Crawl again.

BUFF: Anytime!

MELVIN: The coffin lid is always up, 'cus spookin' you is fun!

(The curtain closes on HENRY and BATTY.)

TROPHY HEADS: We hope that you'll be crawlin' back again.
You'll leave your crypt and see us now and then.

MAX: We had such fun and didn't die!

BUFF: We just can't bear to say goodbye!

TROPHY HEADS: We hope that you'll be crawlin' back again.

BUFF: (Spoken) Y'all crawl back now, ya hear?

MAX: Don't forget to gathering your belongings...

MELVIN: And your candy, too!

BUFF: Happy Halloween, folks!

(The TROPHY HEADS resume the still life. We exit Grizzly Hall and reenter Folktale Forest.)

SONG LIST:

1. "Trick or Treat for Halloween" - Henry, Gomer, Max, Buff & Melvin
2. "Ghost Riders in the Sky" - The Five Scare Rugs
3. "Ghost in the Graveyard" - Wendell & Ghost
4. "Autumn Leaves" - Trixie
5. "The End of Billy the Kid" - The Boot Hill Boys & Gomer
6. "I Was a Teenage Monster" - Liver Lips McGrowl & Max, Buff & Melvin
7. "Monster Mash" - Terrence & The Sun Bonnet Trio
8. "The Monster Hop" - Ernest & The Five Scare Rugs
9. "That Old Black Magic" - Henry & Teddi Barra
10. "The Raven" - Big Al & Raven
11. "The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh" - Henry & Batty
12. "Thriller" - Company (except Ernest and Trixie)

DisneyManOne

I really enjoyed that Halloween show! You did a good job writing a show in the style of the other Country Bear shows. Plus, I appreciate your use of "Trick or Treat for Halloween" and the Scarecrow theme. Those are nuggets that only hardcore Disney fans will get, and I was pleasantly surprised to see them included. I take it that Batty will do a dead-on impression of Patrick McGoohan's iconic Scarecrow cackle, correct?

I was also a bit shocked to see the America Sings vultures making an appearance here. But, you did an excellent job weaving those two into the Country Bear mythos.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I really enjoyed that Halloween show! You did a good job writing a show in the style of the other Country Bear shows. Plus, I appreciate your use of "Trick or Treat for Halloween" and the Scarecrow theme. Those are nuggets that only hardcore Disney fans will get, and I was pleasantly surprised to see them included. I take it that Batty will do a dead-on impression of Patrick McGoohan's iconic Scarecrow cackle, correct?

I was also a bit shocked to see the America Sings vultures making an appearance here. But, you did an excellent job weaving those two into the Country Bear mythos.

Yes, of course Batty would do the same cackle! Heck, it might even be the same cackle haha. Since this show does take place in an alternate universe, the voiceover performers are pretty much the same as the Vacation Hoedown and Christmas Special versions, meaning Thurl Ravenscroft is still Buff, and Pete Renaday is still Henry.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
So I actually deleted New Horizons in case you couldn't tell/didn't notice. I hated the flow so far and I want to start over. I'll probably take a bit more time to work on that. So in the meantime...I'll be moving onto something else!

Twilight_Roxas

This is out of curiosity, but well there be plans for events theme to Marvel as the Summer of Heroes, Season of the Force theme to Star Wars, and a Percy Jackson and the Olympians event like the gods relocated Camp Half-blood somewhere in Disneyland, and Percy, Annabeth, and Grover left clues throughout the park of Camp Half-Blood’s location along with having Mickey & friends wearing Camp Half Blood clothing kinda like how they wear Marvel theme clothes in DCA?

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
This is out of curiosity, but well there be plans for events theme to Marvel as the Summer of Heroes, Season of the Force theme to Star Wars, and a Percy Jackson and the Olympians event like the gods relocated Camp Half-blood somewhere in Disneyland, and Percy, Annabeth, and Grover left clues throughout the park of Camp Half-Blood’s location along with having Mickey & friends wearing Camp Half Blood clothing kinda like how they wear Marvel theme clothes in DCA?

Probably not in regard to Percy Jackson.

Okay, @megatron_85 had requested Adventure Thru Inner Space. Since I'm taking a hiatus on New Horizons, let's dive right into Inner Space!

I'm once again going back on my word a bit from the initial Tomorrowland overview. In that, I described the modern Inner Space as being held inside an alien organism's body. This is no longer the case. The overview for Tomorrowland will be changed accordingly in the Final Draft Google Doc.

Also important to note (if you have not yet read the initial Tomorrowland overview), Adventure Thru Inner Space never left Mirror Disneyland. Star Tours was instead built in place of the Carousel of Progress. In real-life, Star Tours replaced Inner Space.

This intro borrows inspiration from Yesterland, Disneyland: The First Thirty Years, and The Art of Disneyland.

Adventure Thru Inner Space

Despite the blessing of a healthy budget and real estate, Tomorrowland was rushed together in less than six months for the July 1955 opening of Disneyland. Although significant additions were made in 1959, Walt Disney decided to start from scratch after the New York World's Fair and create a "New Tomorrowland." By the mid-1960s, the astronauts and the advances of science and industry had caused the original Tomorrowland to become "Todayland." The time for change had come.

The true impetus for Tomorrowland's face-lift came as a result of the World's Fair itself, in which Audio-Animatronics had come into its own, and where Disney had established a unique relationship with American industry. Two innovative vehicles were introduced to the New Tomorrowland of 1967 in the form of the PeopleMover transportation system and the "Atomobile," which transported guests through the new Adventure Thru Inner Space. " Inner Space" opened on August 5, 1967. This unusual addition was an adventure into the microscopic world, an idea that grew from conversations between Walt Disney and Monsanto's Dr. Charles Allen Thomas about the public's interest in science. Although the exploration of "outer space" had received a great deal of publicity, Thomas felt it was research into "inner space" that was making a more a tangible impact on people's daily lives.

Fittingly, the Monsanto Company would sponsor the new attraction, the first at Disneyland to utilize WED's new Omnimover ride system. Narrated by Paul Frees, the original attraction was a simulated "shrinking" to a size smaller than an atom, all contained in the world within a snowflake crystal. The revolutionary ride system (the so-called "Atomobiles") would influence countless Disney attractions for years following, even today.

Despite rumors to the contrary, Inner Space survived the addition of Star Tours in 1985, and continued normal operation until early 1992. Much as Walt predicted, the Tomorrowland of '67 had become the present, and it was time to move on.

wBcjXrjQgq-4aBTIpovVVwa7phdMGL0UvbActXQyIJ1qHSqUP5LzXklPEYVvFJgeRb_8Vij06mBT5SSJ8Goju6-R8fugCDowlz2vxccgx6BJIRWvslaekd4FJEPTKbLo89LbsrFz

Tomorrowland 2155 recalled the belief in a nonsensical world where the realities of science and today blend with the mysteries of yesterday and tomorrow. In this kinetic metropolis, the great thinkers and dreamers of the 19th Century have clashed with the color and imagination of Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon and Walt Disney. Amidst the landed spacecraft, whirring contraptions and bizarre creatures from the darkest space, the “future that never was” has finally arrived.

Construction began in 1992, with the upgraded Tomorrowland opening in Summer 1994. The makeover was inspired by the optimistic machine age of the 1930s, early publications of Mechanix Illustrated and Amazing Stories, and the future fantasies portrayed by Jules Verne and H.G. Wells. WESTCOT Center opened four years later with a “Future World” of its own, a better and more realistic glimpse into the future than Tomorrowland ever had been.

By 2019, Tomorrowland had dropped the “2155” from its title entirely. The intent for a beautiful, thriving starport of intergalactic life and travel remained, but was held in an entirely new light. Tomorrowland is still timeless, though now, there is no set year or timeline. Adventure Thru Inner Space, fortunately, has survived - though its storyline has changed...

The Pan-Galactic Center of Atomic Innovation is famous for its dedication to the science of atoms and other "inner" properties, of the terrestrial or extraterrestrial variety. In an adventure adapted from the classic attraction, the current Inner Space is an atmospheric masterpiece narrated not by Paul Frees, but instead by actor Tim Curry. The updated attraction opened in June 1995, a year following the premiere of Tomorrowland 2155.

The Pan-Galactic Center of Atomic Innovation is an unsettling, but almost relaxing locale, one in which holds perhaps the most essence of mystery behind the Tomorrowland 2155 makeover. Even today, the attraction is a nostalgic remembrance of 1994's grandiose face-lift, a living remnant of the past along with the surviving ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter and The Visionarium: From Time to Time.

1595435366431.png

The Center's facade is magnificent: An industrial, stylized amalgamation of scrap metal, rusted pipes, curved arches, soaring pylons, and neon fixtures; steampunk in design, futurist at heart. The emblem of the Center is a familiar snowflake, utilized not only in the attraction's marquee, but also in all reference to the Pan-Galactic Center for Atomic Innovation's name. Anywhere that title appears, the snowflake follows. Ambient, "cosmic" music plays as we enter the labs and testing facilities of the Center, reminiscent of Alien's "Nostromo" in appearance. This dramatic music heard throughout the queue perfectly captures the mysterious mood of the strange journey to come...

The reflective surface of the tiled-flooring shimmers beneath the glow of the industrial bulbs that light these facilities. Observation windows look into chambers populated with scientists in hazmat suits tinkering with microscopes and performing all manner of experiments. In one instance, we witness the dissection of an alien plant, quite unlike anything that would grow on Earth. The ambient music is interspersed by PA announcements and radio transmissions shared between the scientists.

As the narrow hallways and laboratories come to an end, our wait concludes in a large, wide-open chamber, the main testing facility and observation chamber for the Center. The Tomorrowland Transit Authority chugs through overhead, looking down on the chamber from a distant ledge.

1595435435401.png

A giant screen overlooks the chamber, with a digital selection of data and statistics projected from within. The featured text changes from English to an alien language back and forth, while the interchanging images represent experimentation into the microscopic details of various materials. Additional PA announcements and radio transmissions further set the stage as the tension builds.

The Mighty Microscope towers over the observation chamber, a gargantuan, steampunk monstrosity transformed from the smooth appearance of the 1967 version, and into something more akin with Treasure Planet. Large gears and cogs turn and groan; steam hisses from exposed pipes and boilers; electric current travels through the wires and into the walls of the surrounding chamber.

Overall, the gritty appearance of the Mighty Microscope is in stark contrast to the high-tech laboratories and standards we have witnessed in the Center thus far. In fact, a closer look at the base of the contraption shows that this is a prototype: "M. Microscope - Prototype Ver. 95." Version 95?! What happened to the previous 94...? We see other guests in blue pods enter one end of the Mighty Microscope, appear near the opposite end only a few inches tall, and finally disappear entirely... The screen overhead plays a brief film, explaining through visuals and narration what we are about to experience. We never see the face of our mysterious, baritone narrator.

SAFETY VIDEO #1
NARRATOR (Tim Curry):
Hello. The Tomorrowland League of Inventors and Scientists welcomes you to the Pan-Galactic Center of Atomic Innovation. We are about to perform the standard safety and tracking procedures required for an Adventure Thru Inner Space. Adventurous men of science, who have made this journey before you, are carefully plotting every phase of your forthcoming journey to shrink beyond the smallness of an atom. For your safety, please remain seated in your vehicle, keeping your hands, arms, feet and legs inside, supervising small children. As a reminder, smoking and flash photography are not permitted in any experimentation. We wish you an enlightening experience. For though your body will shrink, your mind will expand!

SAFETY VIDEO #2
NARRATOR:
Attention. Attention, please. You are about to begin your Adventure Thru Inner Space. The Tomorrowland League of Inventors and Scientists hopes that this remarkable journey will bring you closer to the adventures experienced daily on and off-world by men of science; Men and women of vision who make similar treks in a never-ending search for new ways to manipulate molecules for galactic comfort and convenience. Kindly remain seated throughout your journey, keeping your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the vehicle, supervising small children. As a reminder, smoking and flash photography are not permitted in any experimentation. This journey which you are about to take is but one of many such marvelous Adventures Thru Inner Space.

1595376177801.png

We draw near the loading area, a moving platform at the base of the Mighty Microscope. The blue "Atomobiles" - similar to a Haunted Mansion Doom Buggy - travel at the same speed as the platform. A "lab technician" is on hand in the boarding process, a simple step that brings us into an Atomobile of our own and onto our ascent up and inside the Mighty Microscope. The great contraption groans and hisses, strobing with brilliant light as we enter the "lens" and "shrink beyond the smallness of an atom." At first, it is pitch-black.

NARRATOR:
For centuries, civilizations in the known universe had but their own eyes to explore the wonders on and off-world, across the stars, and through the thresholds of planets and atmospheres held lightyears apart. Then, the invention of the microscope - a mighty eye - and thus was discovered the fantastic universe, beyond the limits of meager, sentient sight... Now, your Adventure Thru Inner Space has begun.
In a blast of dramatic music, color and light, the blank walls are suddenly overwhelmed with abstract patterns, shapes and vivid, technicolor "blends." It is almost as if our Atomobile has entered a giant kaleidoscope, as the colorful imagery surrounds our vehicle, 360 degrees all the way around. Remarkably, the prototype Mighty Microscope didn't destroy us... Some of the shapes are geometric, others resemble abstract creatures, while most are pure constructs of the imagination, a well-designed "paint splatter," if you will. The dramatic musical score follows us as an underscore on our journey.

NARRATOR:
Through the Mighty Microscope, you will travel through the incredible, uncharted universe found within a tiny leaf of extraterrestrial plant-life, hitherto unknown to the human world.
The colors that surround us turn green and yellow, almost following the words of our Narrator.

NARRATOR:
I was the first person to make this journey. However, I was unprepared for this experiment. A malfunction left me stranded, beyond the smallness of an atom, alone, hopeless... I was recovered and returned through careful examination and study. Suspended in the timelessness of Inner Space are the thought waves of my survival. They will be our only source of contact, once you have passed beyond the limits of normal magnification.

The color goes from green to purple and into a dizzying, hypnotic swirl. "Magnification" echoes over and over again. The swirling "tunnel" ends as our Atomobile "floats" through a liquid-type substance, dark green in color. Audio-Animatronics creatures the size of cattle loom overhead, bizarre, alien-like organisms similar to water bears or simple head lice, though distinctly foreign. Cell-like vessels float nearby, almost like balloons caught on a gentle wind. The organisms call to one another, sounding like whales against the mysterious musical soundtrack.

1595378276391.png

NARRATOR (His Voice Now Echoing):
I am passing beyond the magnification limits of even the most powerful microscope... I find myself surrounded by strange microorganisms and plant cells, quite unlike anything known to modern science. They seem to grow larger and larger... Or... Am I shrinking? Shrinking beyond the smallness of a tiny plant cell... Indeed, I am becoming smaller and smaller!

The microorganisms are now HUGE, the size of mammoths. We ourselves have shrunk further, now facing the gaping, surreal maw of a hulking creature with rows upon rows of once-microscopic fangs. Gargantuan plant cells and the "legs" of other microorganisms surround us. The creature cries out to the others, shaking our vehicle and sending vibrations through the entire scene.

NARRATOR:
These once-microscopic organisms now tower over me! To them, I seem microscopic! Yet, I continue to shrink... Unable to maintain a balance, unable to restore my damaged homing beacon. I fear the worst, though my own curiosity intrigues my desire to shrink smaller, further diving into this incredible, undiscovered world...

The plant cells are now so large, that we can barely see their entire shape. We seem to have punctured the membrane of a cell and entered the "building blocks" found inside, similar to the construct of a real-world plant cell. The bizarre ribosomes, mitochondria and other materials surround us in the fully realized third-dimension. Even further along, we see the pulsating, undulating nucleus, the cell's "heart."

1595379745265.png

NARRATOR:
I have penetrated the membrane of a plant cell! Inside I see up close the building blocks of life! The nucleus lies in its center, pulsating, undulating with light. This is quite unlike anything the scientific world has ever seen so close before, so large, so unusual... Do I dare explore the vastness of the nucleus and its inner space? No! I mustn't. I must return to my normal size, before I go on shrinking forever!

But this is not the case. Our Atomobile has already penetrated the nucleus. We are surrounded by blinding, almost heavenly light.

NARRATOR:
Impossible! I have continued to shrink! Even now, I find myself entering the core of the cell's nucleus, a sight never before seen by man. How can I possibly survive?

TO BE CONTINUED

Attachments

• 1595435396849.png
    1595435396849.png
    475.2 KB · Views: 240

Twilight_Roxas

Not based off the films, but the book series, and the upcoming Percy Jackson tv series on Disney+ with Camp Half Blood hidden somewhere in Disneyland.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Hey gang, I have not forgotten about this project! My store recently reopened, so I'm back to work full time and it has become increasingly difficult to find the time to work on this comfortably. I'm content that I have completed Mirror Disneyland itself, but I am still restless having left Inner Space and WestCOT unfinished. Mentally I'm doing okay, but in terms of writer's block and free time, I'm struggling.

I'm sure by now I'm getting the reputation of "that guy who starts a big project and never finishes it," and that reputation is absolutely warranted. ;) It takes a lot of time and energy to complete these projects, and unfortunately, I have neither of those in me right now. It's more important for me right now to focus on work and my mental health and not put myself through stress over this. I think there comes a point in time where I hit a wall and I just can't bring myself to enjoying the project anymore. :( It's exhausting, and it happens a lot more often than I'd like it to. Perhaps going too hard or too big on a project is what does this to me? I don't know.

Therefore, I'm closing up shop on the Mirror Disneyland project until further notice! Version 2.0, while incomplete, is the definitive version on my end. WestCOT will one day be completed perhaps, but for now, it's best just to leave it to the imagination. I'd like to thank all of you for being so dedicated to reading these lengthy updates. Your support and appreciation for my work has meant the world.

It's not goodbye from me. I will be back, and I'm almost certain this project will resume again eventually. For now, I'm taking some time off and stepping back. Thank you all for the fun times and the creative outlet!

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Genuine question... If I were to restart this project from (almost) the ground-up and place it in a new thread... Would anyone follow along? Or would you prefer it be located in this thread?

I'm just curious. I'm having some interest in restarting this and completely nixing WestCOT altogether and going for a DisneySea-style park. I have to admit, @DisneyManOne kind of resparked my interest in creating a DisneySea-style park, and the idea has been in my head for a couple of days now. I'm not promising I'd have a new thread and or project up and running by any given date, I'm just seeing if there's even an audience for it anymore.

Version 3.0 would be the definitive and "final" version, no questions asked.

DisneyManOne

Genuine question... If I were to restart this project from (almost) the ground-up and place it in a new thread... Would anyone follow along? Or would you prefer it be located in this thread?

I'm just curious. I'm having some interest in restarting this and completely nixing WestCOT altogether and going for a DisneySea-style park. I have to admit, @DisneyManOne kind of resparked my interest in creating a DisneySea-style park, and the idea has been in my head for a couple of days now. I'm not promising I'd have a new thread and or project up and running by any given date, I'm just seeing if there's even an audience for it anymore.

Version 3.0 would be the definitive and "final" version, no questions asked.
Oh gosh, I'm really torn on this. I have loved everything you've done for WestCOT so far, and I'd love to see what else the park contains. But on the other hand, the DisneySea concept sounds really intriguing. You know, they were going to make a DisneySea in Long Beach, so maybe you could work off that. Remember, you even told me that Mirror Disneyland takes place in an alternate universe where Disneyland Paris is a success, thus the "Disney Decade" is allowed to continue.

In essence, my answer is...

giphy.gif

not only i would love see more of mirror Disneyland but you should think about "lost" lands (e.g. "Chinatown" & "International Street" before it became two new lands, "World Holiday land" before it became "Hollywood land")

that is one of the ideas i had for similar yet unseen project titled "the Disneyland that never was"
here some ideas:

what would happen if "Edison Square" is built without the carousel of progress (still coming to Tomorrowland)

my three new lands are "Eliasberg" (which replaces "Chinatown") an 1950's version of main street itself, "Franklin Plaza" (which also replaces "International Street") an recreation of an age of invention-Philadelphian street & "Alpine Village" a mini-land located near the Matterhorn (originally part of "World Holiday land")

what became of "Mickey's Toontown" (which (in my project) replaces "big city u.s.a.")?

what about "Discovery Bay"?, did it got replaced by or located next door to "Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge" or located at 3rd gate or remains unbuilt?

also, i think DisneyManOne is right you should keep WestCOT Center for now

how about an different take on Disney California Adventure with these areas:
  1. Buena Vista Street
  2. City of Angels
  3. Paradise Pier
  4. Borderlands (Streampunk version of the old west)
  5. Golden State
  6. Discovery Bay (if it exists - if not "Sci-fi City)
  7. Pandora – The World of Avatar
  8. Pixar Place
  9. Monstropolis
  10. Toy Story Land
  11. Cars Land
  12. A Bug's Land
  13. Avengers Campus California
  14. Prehysteria (DCA's version of Dinoland U.S.A.)

& while i think DisneyManOne is also right about DisneySea remaining in long beach, i also think Disney's America might be great in Buena park but not at site where Knott's Berry Farm is now

again those were my ideas, you might have to think about them if not then that's okay

besides that was it you that said:
One thing I have not yet detailed is my comprehensive Google Doc project which will compile EVERYTHING into one document. That's right. All of Mirror Disneyland in one place, at the simple touch of a button. I plan on going through and doing slight tune-ups here and there to make a definitive Version 3.0. I will not start a new thread for it, obviously, but I will HOPEFULLY have a shareable link that you can view once all is said and done. Though I do not see the Google Doc being done for at least another year.

otherwise, good luck with version 3.0.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Altogether, I'm very torn on whether or not I'd prefer to start over or just continue on in this thread from the ground-up. I could honestly have WestCOT, DisneySea, and Disneyland...but WestCOT and DisneySea share so much in common that it would be a challenge. And I'm still planning on having a Google Doc contain everything. That's what I've been privately working on as of late.

So, I'm not sure. I guess we'll see where the wind blows.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Alright, I think I know what I'm going to do.

1. Carefully edit, review and update Mirror Disneyland and the attractions I have released so far. This will call for the removal of two lands altogether (not saying which, and no, they're not any of the original five lands) from the park, and fine-tuning on grammatical and descriptive sections. The updated version will refocus a bit on the realism aspect.

2. Carefully edit, review and update what I have written so far for WestCOT. This will call for some serious retooling and reformatting for the three main pavilions. Realistically speaking, I hate the Wonders of Science Pavilion that I created for this thread.

3. The introduction of perhaps the most ambitious theme park I've ever come up with... Something that could ONLY happen in an alternate dimension. This park is going to be shocking, outrageous, and maybe even insulting...but you'll love every minute of it. I'll be darned if I give any spoilers as to this third park's identity.

4. Fully flesh out, design and talk about the shopping and dining district, as well as the hotels and resort amenities, such as Fantasy Lagoon and the adjacent hiking trails.

5. More ride-throughs and show scripts all around.

6. Have it all in a Google Doc, as well as in a brand-new thread for your reading enjoyment.

This is what you can expect in Version 3.0 - The Definitive Final Draft.

Ultimately, I'm opting to put it all in a new thread, as having a "recap" of Disneyland and WestCOT in a thread that already has massive descriptions about them... Well, it would become confusing.

Now. When can you expect to see the beginnings of this project?

Soon. I won't say when. But soon. So, stay tuned!

DisneyManOne

I'm ready for this anytime, my friend! I can't wait to see what you'll do with Mirror Disneyland in this new take. And I'm really interested in seeing how WestCOT evolves in this version. Frankly, I wonder if any aspect of Wonders of Science will survive in your "3.0" WestCOT. That "Wonders of Space" concept is just too good not to get rid of altogether.

Also...oh my goodness, this third park is gonna be incredible!

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I'm ready for this anytime, my friend! I can't wait to see what you'll do with Mirror Disneyland in this new take. And I'm really interested in seeing how WestCOT evolves in this version. Frankly, I wonder if any aspect of Wonders of Science will survive in your "3.0" WestCOT. That "Wonders of Space" concept is just too good not to get rid of altogether.

Also...oh my goodness, this third park is gonna be incredible!

I think I'm going to take out Test Track and probably World of Motion. Both were kind of shoehorned in IMO. Plus, my version of New Horizons opens with cavemen, so that concept in itself is very similar to WoM. We'll see though! The Wonders of Life and Earth, however, will pretty much remain the same! I might nix Body Wars in favor of something else.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Wow, has it really been four years since I've touched this? Woof.

I have been yearning to get back into it, armchair Imagineering overall, but struggles with anxiety are just the best, aren't they? o_O I have been, at the least, on-and-off working on this in a Google Doc on the side, even if at the pace of a snail. Perhaps one day I'll resume and start with a fresh thread! Cheers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom