Magic Kingdom's Overhaul or Expansion

What do you think of the idea?

• Total voters

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
@Braden20 , you’re obviously passionate about these rides you’d like to see in a new MK. But realistically Disney are in so much trouble right now that we’ll be lucky to get anything new for the 50th except for things that are already started, like Tron, Ratatouille and Guardians of the Galaxy.

There’s nothing wrong in sharing your ideas, although the Imagineer forum might be a better place for it. Just know that when we say “no chance” we’re simply being realistic.
You’re still doing that “for the 50th” thing?

...I appreciate your optimism too 👍🏻🤘🏻

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
You do make some valid points. I've never (counting back to the 70's) been a fan of Swiss. I think maybe that a rework of that space (which there is not a lot of) would be the way to go. But there's enough land to re-imagine it.

Rosanne

Guess the OP is oblivious to whats going on. Disney is having massive money problems, doesnt have any way of knowing how long the guest drought will go on, has very few options available to recoup the losses, has to finish the items that are already in the works and is cutting left and right. Theres no conceivable way Disney could address the dream list thats been presented. They have all they can just to survive this ongoing money drain. After completing what they have in the construction phase now, they will be breathing a sigh that thats over and pray its enough to draw guests back.
I would think Disney would have some kind of budget for repairs to the parks. Yes they are losing money because of being closed for so long. But, it still would have been a perfect time to make repairs and redos. Couldnt the shareholders pitch in to "make Disney better again?" I'm sure they will be raising the gate prices to who knows what? I dropped my yearly resident pass in April. After 10 yrs we are pretty much done. Increased prices, way too long of lines, Magic hours cutting into daily hours, obvious repairs not being done, all of the above.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I would think Disney would have some kind of budget for repairs to the parks. Yes they are losing money because of being closed for so long. But, it still would have been a perfect time to make repairs and redos. Couldnt the shareholders pitch in to "make Disney better again?" I'm sure they will be raising the gate prices to who knows what? I dropped my yearly resident pass in April. After 10 yrs we are pretty much done. Increased prices, way too long of lines, Magic hours cutting into daily hours, obvious repairs not being done, all of the above.

That's the great balancing act. How do you continue to provide an experience commensurate with what is being charged? As a somewhat local (driving time ~1:30) it still is a quality option. For those flying in domestically, and in some cases internationally - that will be the struggle. How do you keep prices the same (or look to increase them) while providing a sub-standard experience?

I think in the short term people will understand and may give Disney the benefit of the doubt. But going into 2021 it'll be a much different story. And there's no way shareholders will "pitch in" - In many cases they may be looking for an exit.

JIMINYCR

Maintenance and repairs have certainly been less than ideal even before Covid. Those in control of Parks have not made it a priority. I agree that Disneys at fault for the past issues that are still raising its head. But its not the shareholders responsibility and although they may have some say in how the parks are handled, they dont deal with day to day items such as repairs. Its understandable that people are upset about how the parks are being handled during this Covid situation, but wheres the understanding of what they are having to deal with trying to operate in this unique and never before seen atmosphere? If you are feeling theres no value for you, or enjoyment in the parks... then certainly move on, but you shouldnt blame them for trying to adjust operations so they can just stay afloat.

juniorthomas

There are many Rumors of Magic Kingdom's Expansion or an Overhaul.

My opinion is that I would like to see Magic Kingdom's Expansion for a Major Overhaul, like starting in Adventureland I would like to see either Swiss Family Treehouse gets a retheme into Tarzan's Treehouse or The Lion King E-Ticket Attraction based from the 1994 Animated Film. or next to POTC & JC, I would like to see the Shanghai Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure, and Moana E-Ticket Attraction, while in Frontierland I would like to see Nature's Wonderland from Disneyland since used to ran from 1960-1977 but a new version, also Woody's Round-up Whip-Ride from Shanghai Disneyland or the Pocahontas ride in the expanded area. In Liberty Square Haunted Mansion shall stay the same but uses the John Debney's 1992 Music Orchestrations from Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris, all the rest of the sounds and voices shall stay original. In Fantasyland, I would like to see the new attractions from Fantasy Springs like rides from Tangled & Peter Pan, Pooh's Hunny Hunt, and Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast from Tokyo Disney Resort, even Wandering Oaken's Sliding Sleighs from Hong Kong as a Frozen Mini-Land, and the Major Overhaul of Peter Pan's Flight 2.0 based from Shanghai Disneyland's Version, It's a Small World shall stay the same but uses the John Debney's 1992 Orchestration Music from Disneyland Paris with 40 Disney Characters included too. and last but not least Tomorrowland, we know that TRON is coming to that park, the only retheme attraction in Magic Kingdom is Buzz Lightyear gets a retheme into the Shanghai Disneyland's Buzz Lightyear's Planet Rescue in Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, and Main Street Electrical Parade should get a Dreamlights version from Tokyo Disneyland Version in Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom.

Let me know in the comments, and let me know me what do you think of the idea.
Even if there was no global pandemic, I didn’t get the impression that MK was going to be expanding anytime soon. Significant expansion to one of the busiest - if not the busiest - park around would lead to some serious crowding issues.
If anything, after things normalize - and that could be 3-5 years away (if not more) - DAK should be next on the agenda. Epcot is getting love now, DHS received Galaxy’s Edge, and MK had the New Fantasyland expansion.

(hot take alert) Avatar didn’t do enough to make DAK a truly comparable full day park.

Pepper's Ghost

Forget all the logical thoughts you guys are discussing in opposition. I'm stuck on the sacrilege of suggesting ANY change to the Haunted Mansion! 🤬🤣🤪

In reality, yeah, this ain't happening. I mean, it'd be different if this were discussed as a "wouldn't it be great if...", but this was posed as a rumor of some kind of realistic possibility. They have trouble keeping maintenance doors closed in the Haunted Mansion, let alone overhauling the entire park. Let's fix the basics first... like latches/locks on maintenance doors, boats that don't sink, perhaps a Peoplemover that moves. I'd be happy with those updates first. Then we can talk about overhauls in the 2030s. 😁

Djsfantasi

You do make some valid points. I've never (counting back to the 70's) been a fan of Swiss. I think maybe that a rework of that space (which there is not a lot of) would be the way to go. But there's enough land to re-imagine it.
Personally, I’m a great fan of SFR. Loved that movie as a kid. Recently watched it a few times on Disney+. Probably the movie that made me a Disney fan.

Last edited:

Braden20

Original Poster
I am not talking about before and during COVID-19 or the 50th Anniversary of Walt Disney World. I would like to see that happen After COVID-19 and Walt Disney World's 50th Anniversary.

cheezbat

Look! It’s “Magic Kingdom’s Greatest Hits from around the world!” 🤦‍♂️

MK is the park that least needs work. It certainly doesn’t need a dozen things brought in from other parks around the globe. Not to mention the amount of money any of this would require is well beyond what TWDC would be willing to spend in good times, let alone during a global pandemic.

In other words... no. Just... no.

since Magic Kingdom never gets unique attractions anymore, getting greatest hits from around the world wouldn’t be a terrible thing. Our Pirates is the worst. Our It’s a Small World is the worst. Our Space Mountain is in need of a major overhaul. We still have a gas guzzling Speedway. Adding the Beauty and the Beast ride, The Pirates and Peter Pan From Shanghai, and another unique ride or two would really move the worlds most attended park closer to the love and capacity it needs and deserves. Yes we’re in a pandemic now; but down the road, moves like these would make sense.

Jabbas

Might be nice not to walk around a construction zone for awhile. I feel like everytime I go to Disney I never get the full experience. Lol.

Raineman

Forget all the logical thoughts you guys are discussing in opposition. I'm stuck on the sacrilege of suggesting ANY change to the Haunted Mansion! 🤬🤣🤪

In reality, yeah, this ain't happening. I mean, it'd be different if this were discussed as a "wouldn't it be great if...", but this was posed as a rumor of some kind of realistic possibility. They have trouble keeping maintenance doors closed in the Haunted Mansion, let alone overhauling the entire park. Let's fix the basics first... like latches/locks on maintenance doors, boats that don't sink, perhaps a Peoplemover that moves. I'd be happy with those updates first. Then we can talk about overhauls in the 2030s. 😁
If they change our Mansion in any significant way, we riot. 😄

harryk

I agree. With billions being lost because of Corona, doubtful they will be spending any money on overhauls. Altho it would have been a prime time to do it with parks closed for months.
That would never happen … They stopped work in the parks that could have been completed, such as the painting of the MK Castle, when the virus struck. Do things when the crowds are away - they have the attitude of the guests be dammed - we'll do the work around them and let them see we are doing something. This Walt would not permit had he still been with us. Maintenance was something done in the off hours -- but he is gone...….

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom