Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think if one of the other three decide not to play, it's inevitable that there won't be any college football.
ACC would be my bet. They held an emergency meeting yesterday but didn’t make any kind of announcement so an optimist might think that’s a decent sign that they aren’t going to cancel but there were some rumblings that no conference wanted to bend and be the first to cancel but now that 2 are done nobody wants to be last either so they may make a call sooner than later. There’s no reason the SEC and/or Big 12 couldn’t play out their conference schedules and declare a conference champion but there won’t be an official college football champion this year. That’s a shame considering that’s impacting stuff into the New Year.

hopemax

I think if one of the other three decide not to play, it's inevitable that there won't be any college football.
Pat Forde, and a SI reporter have said their ACC sources have told them that if Big-12 opts out, the ACC will be compelled to do the same.

Big-12 has a meeting tonight, and they are rumored to be split into a small group to play, small group to cancel, larger group to delay. I assume in this case delay means a later fall start, and cancel means defer to spring. As opposed to delay to spring or outright cancel.

Like I said yesterday, college football is toast.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Given the position of the universities - that the real students aren't safe if they meet in person in classrooms - how can they possibly play a football season with a group of 22 of them on the field, sweaty and manhandling each other? This has baffled me for months. To say that it's ok to play football, in my opinion, is tantamount to admitting those people aren't really students.
The general story I have heard is some coaches and ADs feel the kids are safer in a controlled environment like their football program where testing would be done frequently vs the kids being home doing virtual classes and left on their own. Take that with a grain of salt considering the millions they are making off of college football, but maybe it makes some sense. If the rest of the students aren’t back at campus physically maybe the football players would be safer. It’s parties and bars and “social interactions” that’s going to put them at most risk. If a guy does some or all of that stuff and then shows up at practice sick he infects the whole team. If none of that exists maybe the risk is lower...maybe.

Basil of Baker Street

I'm a football fan but it kind of annoys me that here in Alabama they haven't canceled HS football. Trying to keep my kid safe and distanced in the classroom. Finding ways to avoid her riding the bus, etc. Yet they're going to allow student athletes roll around on the ground and spit on each other. Pro and college sports...yeah they can afford the testing and monitoring or whatever. High Schools cannot.

rowrbazzle

Given the position of the universities - that the real students aren't safe if they meet in person in classrooms - how can they possibly play a football season with a group of 22 of them on the field, sweaty and manhandling each other? This has baffled me for months. To say that it's ok to play football, in my opinion, is tantamount to admitting those people aren't really students.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

G00fyDad

There are many stories of scientists, including Dr. Fauci, who are optimistic about a vaccine being available early next year (2021). It will hinge on Oxford/Astra-Zeneca and Moderna, as I believe they are the furthest along. It would still be unprecedented, but I think both labs are also building off of previous work, so it’s not just a few months, but resuming significant work done several years ago.

There are still many unknowns - How many inoculations, how quick to ramp up production (already started), how quick to get into gen-pop after frontline/essential, etc. And the biggie - how long-term is the vaccine?

But it’s quite possible, perhaps even likely, we’ll have something work with in less than 9 months based on what scientists, including Dr. Fauci, are saying.

I'm not disputing that at all. What I'm trying to say is that I don't trust any vaccine coming out of Russia when they've only tested it on less than a hundred patients and haven't even conducted a single safety trial yet.

carolina_yankee

I'm not disputing that at all. What I'm trying to say is that I don't trust any vaccine coming out of Russia when they've only tested it on less than a hundred patients and haven't even conducted a single safety trial yet.

I would agree. It would be like getting excited over clean, renewable, green energy from a restart of Chernobyl. Fortunately, our leading contenders for a vaccine will have a bit more transparency and scrutiny. :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Come on...he gave it to his daughter...is this not a face you can trust??? ;););)
5CBC91E2-9ADB-49E1-91D5-9CC0236127AB.jpeg

While there’s no way I would line up to get an untested vaccine I hope it works. There’s a chance it would have gone through a bunch of normal trials and got approval So it could work out. He’s just skipping all the science stuff. I just hope it doesn’t hurt anyone. If the worst that comes out of it is the vaccine is ineffective it’s not the end of the world.

Heppenheimer

The general story I have heard is some coaches and ADs feel the kids are safer in a controlled environment like their football program where testing would be done frequently vs the kids being home doing virtual classes and left on their own. Take that with a grain of salt considering the millions they are making off of college football, but maybe it makes some sense. If the rest of the students aren’t back at campus physically maybe the football players would be safer. It’s parties and bars and “social interactions” that’s going to put them at most risk. If a guy does some or all of that stuff and then shows up at practice sick he infects the whole team. If none of that exists maybe the risk is lower...maybe.
Take into account that holding a football season will not just involve the direct interactions of the players, but would result in the presence of tens to hundreds of thousands of people traveling to universities and packing themselves into hotels, bars, restaurants and the actual stadiums themselves. College football, more than almost any other activity given the numbers involved, has probably the greatest potential to become a super-spreading event.

You could, in theory, hold the games in empty stadiums, but for some of the bigger programs, I don't even think that would be enough to keep the fans and alumni away.

Beyond the health of the players themselves, canceling college football is the right thing to do if we want to prevent mega outbreaks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Take into account that holding a football season will not just involve the direct interactions of the players, but would result in the presence of tens to hundreds of thousands of people traveling to universities and packing themselves into hotels, bars, restaurants and the actual stadiums themselves. College football, more than almost any other activity given the numbers involved, has probably the greatest potential to become a super-spreading event.

You could, in theory, hold the games in empty stadiums, but for some of the bigger programs, I don't even think that would be enough to keep the fans and alumni away.

Beyond the health of the players themselves, canceling college football is the right thing to do if we want to prevent mega outbreaks.
I agree. I was just answering the question of how the universities or some people at them were trying to justify having a season.

This year just sucks. I don’t see how college or pro football happens. Maybe the NFL could try some kind of bubble with a shortened season but outside of that I can’t see it working. There’s no feasible way to have a college football bubble.

JoeCamel

I agree. I was just answering the question of how the universities or some people at them were trying to justify having a season.

This year just sucks. I don’t see how college or pro football happens. Maybe the NFL could try some kind of bubble with a shortened season but outside of that I can’t see it working. There’s no feasible way to have a college football bubble.
And Tampa Bay stacked the roster so they could get home field advantage in the Super Bowl. Going to be a very strange year if it happens.
BTW Super Bowl date is 2/7/2021 in Tampa. I think it has about a 50% chance of happening but will it be/mean anything if they play in a bubble?

lazyboy97o

Come on...he gave it to his daughter...is this not a face you can trust??? ;););)
View attachment 490227

While there’s no way I would line up to get an untested vaccine I hope it works. There’s a chance it would have gone through a bunch of normal trials and got approval So it could work out. He’s just skipping all the science stuff. I just hope it doesn’t hurt anyone. If the worst that comes out of it is the vaccine is ineffective it’s not the end of the world.
In America, you get vaccine. In Russia, vaccine gets you!

brianstl

If college football happens In the fall, there will be no fans in the stand. That more than a concern about players health is the reason why the Big 10 and the PAC 12 are moving to the spring. They want to make money off fans in the stands.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well, but the rest of the students are on campus, which you make a good point now there is no real argument. I’m speaking of most schools that I’m aware of, including UCF. I’ve been told Valencia, however, is all online for fall.
If some colleges go back physically it won’t last long. Maybe a month. There’s just no conceivable way to make it work on a college campus with dorms and parties and fraternities/sororities and general “socialization“. It won’t take long to reach a tipping point where they switch to all virtual. It wouldn’t be a major disruption to learning so it’s worth a try to give it a go, but I’ve already seen multiple schools cancel in person classes. I have no doubts that more will follow.

DCBaker

Premium Member
School openings going good so far....

Well it’s only 2% of the total students In the district but how many before it hits a tipping point.

Another update-

"Etowah High School in Cherokee County will close until the end of the month as administrators try to contain the rapidly-growing COVID-19 case count at the school."

"The school will be closed until Aug. 31."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Another update-

"Etowah High School in Cherokee County will close until the end of the month as administrators try to contain the rapidly-growing COVID-19 case count at the school."

"The school will be closed until Aug. 31."

I hope they had a good virtual learning plan or are the kids all just home for a few weeks with no school?

hopemax

So it looks like, for now, the Big-12 is going to go ahead with fall football. Updated schedule coming soon. Big-12 is also committing to heart imaging diagnostics for athletes that have had COVID. The SI reporter, I mentioned earlier, however, has said a Big-12 source said, "This doesn't mean we're going to play. Students are coming back to campus..." Implication that if the COVID situation deteriorates, then canceling is still an option.

So the Big-12 is still hedging.

Honestly, I'm not sure how this helps athletes. Sure, if everything works out, that's one thing. But if you feel like there are still decent odds you might have to cancel, then it seems like it would be even more devastating for the players to train hard for another month and still have the rug ripped out from under you. At least, if it's cancelled, you can make decisions, adjust your mindset. Like when you know you have to do something you really don't want to do, so you procrastinate as an avoidance tactic, and all you do is fill yourself with dread. And after you do the thing, even though it sucks, the moment passes and then you feel freed from this thing that had been hanging over you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom