Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianstl

Good. If it works then we will know that at least one of ours will work since they hacked someone and stole it;););)

In all seriousness, if it works who cares who came up with it. Since they didn’t actually run a real clinical trial to test it I guess the first people they give it to will be the test group.
Heads are going to roll in China if the Russians beat the Chinese at their own game.

baymenxpac

just came here to see how people are reconciling their pro-lockdown stances with the news that -- after 102 days without a case -- new zealand has four new cases, all with no history of international travel.

virus gonna virus. faster you learn that, the faster you regain your sanity.

MaximumEd

just came here to see how people are reconciling their pro-lockdown stances with the news that -- after 102 days without a case -- new zealand has four new cases, all with no history of international travel.

False positive? Rich folk with private planes sneaking their mistress in? Too early to tell, I’d say. I’m anti-lockdown, btw, I just think there’s often more to these stories so you can’t just grab a headline and use it to play the “told you so” game.

SamusAranX

False positive? Rich folk with private planes sneaking their mistress in? Too early to tell, I’d say. I’m anti-lockdown, btw, I just think there’s often more to these stories so you can’t just grab a headline and use it to play the “told you so” game.

I am genuinely curious as to how the virus got back to NZ.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

The US had just under 50,000 new cases yesterday. FL had a great day yesterday and still over 1000X the 4 cases in New Zealand. I’d say that the New Zealand example shows exactly what could have been if we had more discipline and self control. Yes, the virus is gonna virus, but tracing 4 cases is pretty easy. Tracing 50,000 cases a day...impossible. If we had only 4 total cases in FL right now WDW would be fully open and packed with people. Instead they are cutting hours, moth balling resorts and cancelling future capital spend in the hope of some form of recovery that may take months or years to come. :(

baymenxpac

i agree that nuance is important.

I am genuinely curious as to how the virus got back to NZ.

there are many, many hypotheses worth exploring. but the one that keeps jumping out is simply this: coronaviruses are highly seasonal and have followed a tried-and-true seasonal trajectory in every single region (louisiana being the one outlier, likely because of mardi gras). when it's your turn to get COVID, you get it. it's hubris to think you can stop a virus.

brianstl

My guess is New Zealand was never virus free and there has been transmission going on during that 102 days, but all carriers were either asymptomatic or had only very mild symptoms. I think the virus has infected a much larger percentage of the world's population than most people think. We just don't realize it because the rate of asymptomatic carriers is going to turn out to be higher than anyone could have imagined.

MaximumEd

My guess is New Zealand was never virus free and there has been transmission going on during that 102 days, but all carriers were either asymptomatic or had only very mild symptoms. I think the virus has infected a much larger percentage of the world's population than most people think. We just don't realize it because the rate of asymptomatic carriers is going to turn out to be higher than anyone could have imagined.

That’s a good point. 4 cases only means “confirmed cases”.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

Ah yes those 4 cases are crazy high, can you imagine if our country had such high cases as 4!?! ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The 102 day streak was no new cases from community spread or from an unknown source. They have had cases during that time but they were all traced to sources and all contact was thought to have been isolated. These 4 people live together and had no international travel or known contact with an infected person. Most likely a hospital worker or someone with contact with an infected person was infected but asymptomatic and spread to these people.

Chip Chipperson

Google's COVID-19 graph shows New Zealand with new cases on multiple days in late July and early August, plus a bunch of days with new cases in June. So even though they went 102 days without "local transmission," that doesn't mean they went 102 days without any cases. Clearly, there have been people there with the virus, regardless of where they contracted it. It's very easy for one of those people to spread it without realizing it and once that happens then all bets are off unless local officials are able to quarantine those people before they've had the chance to spread it themselves.

brianstl

The 102 day streak was no new cases from community spread or from an unknown source. They have had cases during that time but they were all traced to sources and all contact was thought to have been isolated. These 4 people live together and had no international travel or known contact with an infected person. Most likely a hospital worker or someone with contact with an infected person was infected but asymptomatic and spread to these people.
My point is community spread never stopped in New Zealand. It was just occurring among a group of the population that was either asymptomatic or had very mild symptoms, the young. We wouldn't know that spread has been happening among the young because New Zealand has done nothing close to wide spread testing among people with no symptoms. For all the complaining about lack of testing in the US and Florida (particularly), Florida has conducted over one test per every five people in the state. New Zealand has conducted less than one test per every ten people in the country.

Heppenheimer

This seems far more likely than "seasonal virus gonna virus".

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My point is community spread never stopped in New Zealand. It was just occurring among a group of the population that was either asymptomatic or had very mild symptoms, the young. We wouldn't know that spread has been happening among the young because New Zealand has done nothing close to wide spread testing among people with no symptoms. For all the complaining about lack of testing in the US and Florida (particularly), Florida has conducted over one test per every five people in the state. New Zealand has conducted less than one test per every ten people in the country.
It’s possible, but in 100 days if there was widespread community spread someone infected would have ended up symptomatic. I think it’s more likely someone with a known infection infected someone else unknowingly and then they spread it to this family. We most likely will never know.

brianstl

It’s possible, but in 100 days if there was widespread community spread someone infected would have ended up symptomatic. I think it’s more likely someone with a known infection infected someone else unknowingly and then they spread it to this family. We most likely will never know.
That very well could be. There is just a ton about this virus that we still don't know.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That very well could be. There is just a ton about this virus that we still don't know.
Totally agree. I’m not saying my theory is definitely right either. We are all just throwing poo at the wall and seeing if it sticks;) Its also possible that the strain of virus in New Zealand isn’t even the same as the strain here so there could be more asymptomatic and mild cases resulting in no symptomatic infections in 100+ days.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out -

FA395FBE-B9A3-4C2F-9828-1E3F3CB0B850.jpeg
96CC9639-D06F-47B2-BEB3-787060F762F3.jpeg
C29B23FD-4966-4746-B23E-A12A206EFD97.jpeg

E3E894BA-50DA-4872-BE7E-25A287D9374E.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom