Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickys

Premium Member
Just seems a bit far, I had to live separate from my fiance for 6 months because we were waiting for DD6 at the time to finish the school year before moving into a new home in another district. We normally made the drive every couple days to see each other and get family time. I couldn't picture not being allowed that.
This was normal lockdown rules for the U.K. though. It took about three months for single households to be able to create a bubble with one other household to be able to visit each other, let alone stay over. And although it varied between the four nations as to exact details, we were also limited as to how far you could travel for any reason. So even if your son/daughter/sibling/parent was ill or dying in another part of the country you could not travel to see them (an exception being in the case of a minor child and a parent living elsewhere).

LukeS7

Follow up story to this picture. The students involved with posting these types of pictures on social media are now facing expulsion from the school. Well that’s one way to ensure you don’t have to be part of that **** show.

On top of that, a parent who wanted to pull her child out until they could get into the all virtual option after seeing the photo was told that if her child misses class, they could face expulsion. They're actively forcing children and their families into a dangerous situation.

John park hopper

If you are puling your kid out of school so what if your kid gets kicked out -- you were pulling them out any way. Sounds to me like they just want to keep your kid in school in order to get federal school dollars regardless of the health risk.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If you are puling your kid out of school so what if your kid gets kicked out -- you were pulling them out any way. Sounds to me like they just want to keep your kid in school in order to get federal school dollars regardless of the health risk.

I presume 'expulsion' would exclude the child from access to the district's online distance learning. The parent would then be on their own to do home schooling.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I presume 'expulsion' would exclude the child from access to the district's online distance learning. The parent would then be on their own to do home schooling.
Yep. Seems that way. But side note, if I was a parent in this district and I had the means to get far away from them as possible, I would take it. I imagine however, most do not have the means, or the option.

SamusAranX

For parents who can, there quite a few homeschooling companies that provide everything: the lesson plan, the textbooks (online now), quizzes and tests, and so on. Its good for middle school and up kids who are a bit more self-sufficient. I used it to graduate back in the 2000's when I was sick during high school and missed too many classes. I know this option is not available for all families due to circumstance of course.

Of course back then, they literally mailed me all the textbooks, lesson plan books, and reading books for literature courses; and then I went online to complete my tests. Now it is all online. Oh and i got an actual diploma, not a GED. Anyone curious, PM me for info.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1596806618234.png

1596806645301.png

Starting to look hopeful. The real challenge will be getting the number of tests back up again while all the bad stats continue to go down.

MaximumEd

Thank God for work from home. My office is setup almost exactly the opposite of what you would want with a pandemic: open office, no cubicles, cafeteria with salad bar and hot buffet area, no way to distance. We found out earlier this week we are working from home until Jan 4 now.

Got an email a couple days ago stating our work from home order was extended to Nov. 1. I drive a company vehicle home and have a laptop with a VPN connection to our network, so it really doesn’t change anything for me. I hardly ever saw my office anyway even before the pandemic.

Tink242424

Herd immunity is really only possible with a vaccine. There’s no way to infect enough people naturally to reach that level and we still don’t know how long that immunity lasts. You can’t force people to go out and get infected. People will restrict their activities on their own even if the government does nothing. We are seeing some of that in FL now. Take theme parks for example, they are open right now but attendance is poor. A lot of people just don’t want to do those types of activities if cases are up.
Ummm... How do you think humanity got over every other plague in history?? The bacteria or virus ran through the population and herd immunity was reached. So it is not only possible with a vaccine...

I'm not saying that that is the route we have to take (although it may be if we can't get a safe/effective vaccine) but it is definitely feasible.

Jedijax719

Ummm... How do you think humanity got over every other plague in history?? The bacteria or virus ran through the population and herd immunity was reached. So it is not only possible with a vaccine...

I'm not saying that that is the route we have to take (although it may be if we can't get a safe/effective vaccine) but it is definitely feasible.
Viruses can run their course. And with cases like the various plagues, they were caused by bacteria which can also run out of available vectors. So other pandemics (such as Spanish Flu) didn't go away due to herd immunity. They did go away (sort of) but not because of herd immunity. That's now how herd immunity works (unless it was proven that 40-60% of society was infected by the microbe). The end of the Spanish flu was a mystery. It is quite likely that those who had it or exposed to it were so isolated from others that the virus no longer had anyone to infect. If that happens, the virus WILL "die" out (viruses are not really alive). This is what was hoped to be achieved by shutdowns/lockdowns. Those with it will be isolated from others. If all viral hosts are isolated, the virus won't have anywhere to exist. However, with a virus that can hang on in latency for several days, it becomes next to impossible to identify those who have been exposed without testing EVERYONE. The flu was much easier to identify very quickly, unlike COVID-19.

What herd immunity does is protect a majority of society from any exposure. Those who are protected must have antibodies (or memory cells) prepared to stage an effective attack. If 25% of society is infected and isolated in time, leaving the other 75% without a way to be infected, the virus can be defeated. But that wouldn't be herd immunity. As soon as the virus comes back into society, the 75% become vulnerable again. The higher the reproductive and spread rate, the higher % needs to be achieved for herd immunity (which is why the measles vaccine is SO important-measles has an R-naught number of 18).

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Except that’s not true. We don’t have herd immunity from the flu. We don’t have herd immunity from common colds. Many viruses mutate too frequently to ever achieve full herd immunity. There’s no guarantee that someone who got Covid is immune for life and won’t get it again. It’s a nice thought and something to hope for, but the consensus opinion from medical experts seems to be that it’s unlikely the immunity will be life long. With past viruses there have been some that repeat exposure has resulted in symptoms that are lessened and in some cases the second wave is much worse. We have no idea which way this will go. The point of all this is that if we don’t end up with any workable vaccines we will have to learn to live with the virus and over time (years)it may go into hiding but it will never truly be gone. It’s a pipe dream that if we open everything up and let people get infected that we will achieve herd immunity and the virus will be gone. The only return to our old norm is a vaccine.

lazyboy97o

Name a disease for which we are protected by herd immunity without a vaccine.

The Mom

Premium Member

From WebMD:

How Do You Achieve Herd Immunity?

There are two ways this can happen.

You can develop resistance naturally. When your body is exposed to a virus or bacteria, it makes antibodies to fight off the infection. When you recover, your body keeps these antibodies. Your body will defend against another infection. This is what stopped the Zika virus outbreak in Brazil. Two years after the outbreak began, 63% of the population had had exposure to the virus. Researchers think the community reached the right level for herd immunity.

Vaccines can also build resistance. They make your body think a virus or bacteria has infected it. You don’t get sick, but your immune system still makes protective antibodies. The next time your body meets that bacteria or virus, it’s ready to fight it off. This is what stopped polio in the United States.

When does a community reach herd immunity? It depends on the reproduction number, or R0. The R0 tells you the average number of people that a single person with the virus can infect if those people aren’t already immune. The higher the R0, the more people need to be resistant to reach herd immunity.

Researchers think that the R0 for COVID-19 is between 2 and 3. This means that one person can infect two to three other people. It also means 50% to 67% of the population would need to be resistant before herd immunity kicks in and the infection rates start to go down.

The Mom

Premium Member
To add to the above post, the death rate with Covid is much higher than many other diseases where we have achieved herd immunity (TB may be another one) without a vaccine. So the price to pay to get the number needed for herd immunity would be very high. I hope we never have to pay it.

AEfx

It’s been a century since the last plague. A time when people were just coming out of the horse and buggy stage and were just starting to operate automobiles.

We live in a far, far different, absolutely unrecognizable world today, comparatively, with much higher populations and infinitely more interaction between them.

Basically, today, either everyone stays home, or there is a vaccine. Unless either one happens totally, we are dealing with this for a long time.

That’s one of the reasons I continue to be shocked about some of what I read regarding WDW here in some other posts. I think folks will find public opinion right now is more on the side of “I can’t believe they are even open” and “who in their right mind would travel there, of ALL places?” right now. Not “when are they going to remove that mask requirement, I can’t wait to go!”

I mean, I just don’t see it myself...we can’t even consider to go to a movie theater (not that many of us want to), but stepping foot in WDW right now? A place designed to cram as many people in as possible traveling from who knows where?

And even if I forgot all that - I had some magic invisible suit to protect me and my family - I still wouldn’t be going to WDW - the still premium prices and reduced experiences (hours, shows, food availability, no nighttime events) just wouldn’t be worth it.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

Herpes. Of course, my looks may be what is protecting me from the herd.

If any of you attend them with me you can vouch for the verisimilitude of the following claim - the Illuminati meetings have had mask requirements for years. Not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom