News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

KevinPage

I have never heard of Vi Moradi, Bek, Nien or Fin. Or at least I don't remember them. I've seen all the movies but its the original cast that sticks in my mind. Admittedly I am old, but I repeat , 90% of Disney guests would like to see the originals !

Vi & Bek are new characters exclusive to Galaxys Edge.

Fin is a main character of the last 3 films.

Old school fans have had Star Tours for 30 years to enjoy along with Star Wars Weekends for many years. They still have Star Tours the last tome

Smugglers Run has Chewbecca and the Millennium Falcon.

I was 8 when I saw Empire in theaters and I fully endorse the decision to base the land/rides on newer characters. You don’t spend all that $$$ to buy Lucasfilm and create new land on the past.

disneygeek90

Rise Boarding Pass and MMRR question

If I have one day at DHS and I'm rope dropping the park, I'll want to get a 10am Rise pass, and also ride MMRR. I'm guessing that the safer play is to wait outdoors and secure the Rise pass at 10am, then get in line for MMRR. I'm also assuming that quite a line will have built up at that point.

Has anyone had experience with getting in line for MMRR as soon as they are in the park, and still been able to get a pass for Rise at 10am? If you're in the queue but inside the building, can you still get a cell signal? Do they start running the ride prior to 10am? Is there a chance that if you're in line early that you might be on the actual ride itself at 10 when the virtual queue opens?
If you can hang around later in the day, wait until the afternoon for MMRR (if a weekend). The line drops considerably in the afternoon. Remember there's not much inside queue and the lines are all distanced, so even if it's spilling a bit past the outside umbrella's you're still only looking at 30-40 mins, and that's considering the inevitable cleaning delay.

I find it too risky to do literally anything, even get in line for other rides, before 10am. I sit at a table or on a bench and ensure that the BG is secured first.

Furiated

There has been people on the actual ride while snagging a BG, but I’d say that’s too risky. Easier to grab the BG than wait out the 1 hour or less line.

Or instead of getting of getting on line for MMMRR at 9:30am and run the risk of getting on the ride too quick, wait until like 10-15 minutes before, this way you area still outside, hold you position, can nab a BG and cut down some of your wait time for MMRR.

Or if the line moves too quickly, wave people past you to stay outside 🤩🤩🤩

That was actually one of my thoughts too. Wait by the queue entrance for MMRR and wait to jump in line until the line extends out far enough that I would still be outside the building at 10.

[

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimdalva

Quote; You don’t spend all that $$$ to buy Lucasfilm and create new land on the past.

You don’t spend all that $$$ to buy Lucasfilm and create new a land that no one ever heard of , when Lucas had great charters from the past that Everybody knows .

There I fixed it for you . Anyway Great minds will differ, and so will we. LOL

Last edited:

disneygeek90

Vi & Bek are new characters exclusive to Galaxys Edge.

Fin is a main character of the last 3 films.

Old school fans have had Star Tours for 30 years to enjoy along with Star Wars Weekends for many years. They still have Star Tours the last tome

Smugglers Run has Chewbecca and the Millennium Falcon.

I was 8 when I saw Empire in theaters and I fully endorse the decision to base the land/rides on newer characters. You don’t spend all that $$$ to buy Lucasfilm and create new land on the past.
There's still tons of storm troopers out roaming too. At least in the olden days. That's one of the most, if not the most, iconic "character" of the entire SW Universe. I watched the originals growing up even being a 90's baby, but I have no issues with seeing Rey, Kylo, Chewie, and Storm troopers around GE. To me, it's a nice mix of old and new.

Jimdalva

I like a mix of old and new, just mix in some more old! And yeah we've had Star Tours , and it was great, but technically GE is light years ahead. I can't wait to see it in September!

flyakite

If I have one day at DHS and I'm rope dropping the park, I'll want to get a 10am Rise pass, and also ride MMRR. I'm guessing that the safer play is to wait outdoors and secure the Rise pass at 10am, then get in line for MMRR. I'm also assuming that quite a line will have built up at that point.

Has anyone had experience with getting in line for MMRR as soon as they are in the park, and still been able to get a pass for Rise at 10am? If you're in the queue but inside the building, can you still get a cell signal? Do they start running the ride prior to 10am? Is there a chance that if you're in line early that you might be on the actual ride itself at 10 when the virtual queue opens?
I took the risk. Got in line for MMRR before 10am. Hoped the line would stop moving so fast, but got on the ride with a questionable amount of time to get the boarding pass. I got group 3 while on the ride, not using Disney wifi. I did see someone else doing the same thing and getting a boarding pass as well. However, some people were waiting right outside the doors to the building to get a boarding pass.

Furiated

If you can hang around later in the day, wait until the afternoon for MMRR (if a weekend). The line drops considerably in the afternoon. Remember there's not much inside queue and the lines are all distanced, so even if it's spilling a bit past the outside umbrella's you're still only looking at 30-40 mins, and that's considering the inevitable cleaning delay.

I find it too risky to do literally anything, even get in line for other rides, before 10am. I sit at a table or on a bench and ensure that the BG is secured first.

Yeah, getting a Rise boarding pass will be my absolute #1 priority. It just seems like a bit a waste not to be queuing for something at the same time if I'm there at rope drop. It might be a necessary sacrifice to make sure I have a good shot at a pass. I could queue for Slinky Dog since it's all outdoors, I'm just in the camp that thinks it's kinda underwhelming. It sounds like I'd be okay just milling around outside somewhere, trying for a pass, then heading down Sunset afterwards for RnRC and ToT.

I'm also a bit greedy and hoping to do MMRR multiple times as I haven't been on it and obviously can't do Rise multiple times in one day. It's good to know the waits for MMRR will be lower later, but I was hoping for a have my cake and eat it too situation and try to rope drop it and then go on it again later with a lower wait.

I took the risk. Got in line for MMRR before 10am. Hoped the line would stop moving so fast, but got on the ride with a questionable amount of time to get the boarding pass. I got group 3 while on the ride, not using Disney wifi. I did see someone else doing the same thing and getting a boarding pass as well. However, some people were waiting right outside the doors to the building to get a boarding pass.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing your experience! So you were on the actual ride itself? Was it your first time on MMRR? I haven't been on it and I wouldn't want to be simultaneously stressing about a Boarding Pass plus watching my phone while trying to take in the ride for the first time.

disneygeek90

Yeah, getting a Rise boarding pass will be my absolute #1 priority. It just seems like a bit a waste not to be queuing for something at the same time if I'm there at rope drop. It might be a necessary sacrifice to make sure I have a good shot at a pass. I could queue for Slinky Dog since it's all outdoors, I'm just in the camp that thinks it's kinda underwhelming. It sounds like I'd be okay just milling around outside somewhere, trying for a pass, then heading down Sunset afterwards for RnRC and ToT.

I'm also a bit greedy and hoping to do MMRR multiple times as I haven't been on it and obviously can't do Rise multiple times in one day. It's good to know the waits for MMRR will be lower later, but I was hoping for a have my cake and eat it too situation and try to rope drop it and then go on it again later with a lower wait.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing your experience! So you were on the actual ride itself? Was it your first time on MMRR? I haven't been on it and I wouldn't want to be simultaneously stressing about a Boarding Pass plus watching my phone while trying to take in the ride for the first time.
MMRR is definitely worth re-rides since every car gets a slightly different view.

KevinPage

Quote; You don’t spend all that $$$ to buy Lucasfilm and create new land on the past.

You don’t spend all that $$$ to buy Lucasfilm and create new a land that no one ever heard of , when Lucas had great charters from the past that Everybody knows .

There I fixed it for you . Anyway Great minds will differ, and so will we. LOL

Not to get into a whole debate on the subject but:

- people lambast Disney over making everything an IP that people know instead of a totally original idea (not based on a movie)

- Disney creates a whole ride/land based on an existing property with NEW characters they added to the universe and they get lambasted for not giving people what they want based on 40 year old characters/lands.

At the end of the day shouldn’t it be: the execution of the attraction trumps the subject matter? Winnie the Pooh at MK is a turd/waste of space, no matter how beloved Pooh is. I’d rather have a ride based on (pick a new movie) that’s technologically phenomenal than what they gave us.

Besides, why can’t Disney try to establish new characters? Who’s to say these current characters won’t be as beloved in 10-15 years?

Why do they have to cater to something easy/already established?

Isn’t the point of WDI to take risks, think outside the box? I don’t want them to shovel us stuff via the easy path. They’ve done plenty of that over the years and recently.

Be bold, be brave. That’s what they did.

🤩

Last edited:

KevinPage

My 2 cents

- crowds in general are so low they you will get to ride everything (and more than once) if you plan to spend at least half the day there

-sitting down and waiting and putting your sole attention to getting a BG overrides everything else. Why pollute your thoughts about making sure to be outside, pay attention to a queue, etc. when you can sit and relax and focus on getting the group

- once you get a BG (knock on wood) then your whole day is set and you are mentally free to do what you want without feeling overwhelmed or getting a BG “mid ride” and ruining the current attraction you are on

Crowd levels help alleviate the need to go crazy vacation commando at this point. There is ZERO margin for error with groups going in 10-20 seconds, why add ANY factor into it?

Obviously it’s easy for me to say as a local as I’ve been on everything umteenth times and not a huge deal if I “skip” something cause I’m a prima Donna and don’t want to wait 30 minutes 🤩😂🤩

But to this day, I sit on a bench on Hollywood Blvd until I get my group (part routine/susperstition) before venturing along the path. One thing on my mind at a time 🤩🤩🤩

Magic Feather

My recommendations from my knowledge of ops.

If by car:
Show up to the toll booths right around 8:55 AM. If they are still turning people around try to be a little stubborn by holding over on the median (sometimes they let it slide). Right around 8:55 they should start letting people line up at the toll booths and let into the parking lot around 9:10. Guests parking will be the second to last of the groups I am describing to get to the turnstiles, if everyone was first in line for each option.

By Uber/Dropoff (and Crescent Lake Resort Guests, who should just ignore the getting dropped off part):
Get dropped off at Boardwalk Villas or the Speedway Gas Station around 8:50 AM, or however long it will take you to be able to arrive by the Skyliner Station (walking) by 9 AM (there will be a small crowd built up that will be released 5-10 min after 9 AM).
2A7E8FF0-D853-4908-93FE-1ADAA169C6AA.jpeg

By Skyliner from Caribbean Beach:
Line up at the Skyliner Station around 8:30 (the first few spots in line are shaded by the Joffrey’s kiosk, the rest are in sun so bring water/an umbrella and plan accordingly). You will be let on right around 9, and will be some of the first guests into the park (first guest getting of Skyliner is the first, then they “drop” the rope for people by the buses/walking path, and start letting parked people in).

Skyliner from Riviera or Pop:
I’d honestly recommend that this group just follows the Uber plan, but if you can’t/don’t want to, then get in line a little before 8:30. You should be either on GG Bridge or just off of it. You will arrive to the temp screening around the same time as the first wave of parked guests.

Other Resorts:
Buses actually start running closer to 8:30-8:45. If you can be on one of the first buses, then you will be in the same position as the walking/Uber group. If the line is already too built up, I’d recommend the Uber method.

Upon arrival for all methods:
If in the CBR Skyliner/Bus/Uber/Walk Group, head straight to MMRR. You should ride with effectively no wait the first time, and should even be able to get a second ride in before the park officially opens at 10. The Parking/Pop/Riviera Group will get one shot at MMRR with a ~20-30 min wait before the wait times spike to their highest point of the day shortly after 10.
Once done with MMRR, I’d recommend Tower, Slinky, or Falcon as the next stop.

Of note, if it is nearing 10 and it looks like you are about to be loaded onto the ride, ask a Cast a member of there is a spot you can wait in to secure your reservation before riding. Most attractions now have a de facto space for this due to the newfound commonality of this request. Just try to ask a CM before the grouper.

A final note: If you are worried about tech issues with boarding groups, have an outdated phone software, or have a disproportionately large group, upon entry, forget MMRR (save it for around 6 PM), and find an available GET Cast Member. See if they can either address your concern or stay with them until the BG drop. Each CM can usually only help 1-2 parties secure a boarding group, so any line will effectively be hopeless.

The indefinitely delayed ITS takeoff loop. Now THAT goes on. And on. And on.
My personal favorite holding loop is at the bottom of the Escape Pods, but only at a distance where the pods can only back out (not get to the bend facing Bek). The spiel involves the droids refusing to move, while demanding compensation. I heard a recording of it a while ago and found it to be quite funny.

waltography

I guess it makes sense as a holding loop, but the
interrogation room with the stormtrooper fumbling with his gun
is one that is interminably boring - even a few seconds extra feels too long.

Furiated

Of note, if it is nearing 10 and it looks like you are about to be loaded onto the ride, ask a Cast a member of there is a spot you can wait in to secure your reservation before riding. Most attractions now have a de facto space for this due to the newfound commonality of this request. Just try to ask a CM before the grouper.

This is good info that I haven't seen anywhere else! That would alleviate some worry about queuing for something and having to board/ride right at 10.

Using MMRR as an example, if I did this, would the space for this at MMRR be a spot where I could get a reliable signal to get a Boarding Pass?

In my instance, I'd be walking from the Boardwalk area. So from what you said, if I'm there early enough and with the first people into the park, and go immediately to MMRR, I should be on and off the ride before 10 anyways, correct? I know I've had a similar experience at DAK with FoP, I've been off the ride literally a minute after official park open. I wasn't sure how they were doing things at DHS currently.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
My recommendations from my knowledge of ops.

If by car:
Show up to the toll booths right around 8:55 AM. If they are still turning people around try to be a little stubborn by holding over on the median (sometimes they let it slide). Right around 8:55 they should start letting people line up at the toll booths and let into the parking lot around 9:10. Guests parking will be the second to last of the groups I am describing to get to the turnstiles, if everyone was first in line for each option.

By Uber/Dropoff (and Crescent Lake Resort Guests, who should just ignore the getting dropped off part):
Get dropped off at Boardwalk Villas or the Speedway Gas Station around 8:50 AM, or however long it will take you to be able to arrive by the Skyliner Station (walking) by 9 AM (there will be a small crowd built up that will be released 5-10 min after 9 AM).View attachment 489342

By Skyliner from Caribbean Beach:
Line up at the Skyliner Station around 8:30 (the first few spots in line are shaded by the Joffrey’s kiosk, the rest are in sun so bring water/an umbrella and plan accordingly). You will be let on right around 9, and will be some of the first guests into the park (first guest getting of Skyliner is the first, then they “drop” the rope for people by the buses/walking path, and start letting parked people in).

Skyliner from Riviera or Pop:
I’d honestly recommend that this group just follows the Uber plan, but if you can’t/don’t want to, then get in line a little before 8:30. You should be either on GG Bridge or just off of it. You will arrive to the temp screening around the same time as the first wave of parked guests.

Other Resorts:
Buses actually start running closer to 8:30-8:45. If you can be on one of the first buses, then you will be in the same position as the walking/Uber group. If the line is already too built up, I’d recommend the Uber method.

Upon arrival for all methods:
If in the CBR Skyliner/Bus/Uber/Walk Group, head straight to MMRR. You should ride with effectively no wait the first time, and should even be able to get a second ride in before the park officially opens at 10. The Parking/Pop/Riviera Group will get one shot at MMRR with a ~20-30 min wait before the wait times spike to their highest point of the day shortly after 10.
Once done with MMRR, I’d recommend Tower, Slinky, or Falcon as the next stop.

A final note: If you are worried about tech issues with boarding groups, have an outdated phone software, or have a disproportionately large group, upon entry, forget MMRR (save it for around 6 PM), and find an available GET Cast Member. See if they can either address your concern or stay with them until the BG drop. Each CM can usually only help 1-2 parties secure a boarding group, so any line will effectively be hopeless.

My personal favorite holding loop is at the bottom of the Escape Pods, but only at a distance where the pods can only back out (not get to the bend facing Bek). The spiel involves the droids refusing to move, while demanding compensation. I heard a recording of it a while ago and found it to be quite funny.
Thats a really good guide to the process!

Jimdalva

Not to get into a whole debate on the subject but:

- people lambast Disney over making everything an IP that people know instead of a totally original idea (not based on a movie)

- Disney creates a whole ride/land based on an existing property with NEW characters they added to the universe and they get lambasted for not giving people what they want based on 40 year old characters/lands.

At the end of the day shouldn’t it be: the execution of the attraction trumps the subject matter? Winnie the Pooh at MK is a turd/waste of space, no matter how beloved Pooh is. I’d rather have a ride based on (pick a new movie) that’s technologically phenomenal than what they gave us.

Besides, why can’t Disney try to establish new characters? Who’s to say these current characters won’t be as beloved in 10-15 years?

Why do they have to cater to something easy/already established?

Isn’t the point of WDI to take risks, think outside the box? I don’t want them to shovel us stuff via the easy path. They’ve done plenty of that over the years and recently.

Be bold, be brave. That’s what they did.

🤩
You make good points, and I agree with them all. BUT I wanna see Darth Vader!!!

disneygeek90

I guess it makes sense as a holding loop, but the
interrogation room with the stormtrooper fumbling with his gun
is one that is interminably boring - even a few seconds extra feels too long.
I was stuck in the cell for nearly 5 mins last week. It was after the whole show and Kylo walking out. We could hear the "rumblings" of the resistance trying to break us out pretty much on loop, but it took so long it was quite obvious there was a delay. I believe Finn kept saying "only a couple minutes!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom