So... a Splash Mountain log sank..

gerarar

Premium Member
When I was little, we went to Dorney Park.. The first ride we got on was the log flume ride. Now, it had POURED the night before..the water was so high, it was sloshing over the sides of the ride on to the ground. It probably should have been closed but hey, it was the 80s and safety wasn't important ;) We didnt sink, we got drenched but water wasnt pouring into our log. I'm thinking the WDW logs need a lil work lol
Dorney Park is my local park too! To this day, I still get very drenched on Thunder Creek Mountain! Not sure if this is the log flume ride you’re referencing, but it’s one of two flume rides in the park standing today! ;)

Tom Morrow

To be fair, the audio is usually better at WDW than Disneyland, which seems to have to philosophy that audio is "good" if they just crank the volume up to unbearable levels. I can barely stand Indiana Jones.
Maybe I have some hearing loss, but I absolutely prefer Disneyland's method. I want to feel completely engrossed by the ride's show elements. At WDW, often the audio is so low that the ride's mechanics are louder than it, which if something that should not happen.

LorangeJuice

Before we jump down the “bad maintenance” hole, is it possible that what happened was the log ahead of this one, and this one that sunk, had a heavy load in the front, and since there’s only a few riders per log, neither was properly balanced? This could cause the 2nd one to lodge itself under the one ahead of it. Then, when the log behind it hits, it gets forced further downward?

As in now they may have to focus more on balancing the logs due to not fully loading them?

Seems very plausible to me, but then we would have to jump down the "bad safety/testing/adjusting" hole. Seems like they had plenty of time to test and adjust before now. Although I doubt these specific CDC guidelines were considered before this, wouldn't there be some sort of existing loading protocol for even weight distribution in general?

NelleBelle

WDW's SM has been in need of some serious attentional for the last few years! Last I rode it was in June 2018 and about 1/2 the AA's worked, even as far as back then. I was shocked when I visited DL's version and saw the difference in level of maintenance/repair--like 2 completely rides! I know I've been praising DL over WDW lately, but this "incident" adds another tick mark in the DL column of why we've been visiting that park more than WDW.

John park hopper

th.jpeg
Flex seal sold everywhere----- don't leave home without it for those times when your Splash Mountain log springs a leak---your life may depend on it

OG Runner

I really think the funniest part of the whole situation were the CMs telling them they should not have gotten out of the boat.
Sorry, when the water starts coming in, I am getting out. 🤪

James Clifton

I'm an old guy & remember when Maint.was a priority! WDW had Maint.crews working every night to make sure everything WORKED!! Now....MANAGEMENT probably decided MAINT.wasn't THAT important & decided to "downsize" MAINT!! I saw lack of Maint. in every park.First thought was, bet that extra $$$ saved can somehow mean more $$$ for UPPER MANAGEMENT! Old saying...usually true...FOLLOW THE $$$$!Be interesting IF that would be done!!

OG Runner

Please stop whining about maintenance and Disney looking to save a buck. How many rides do you think that "log" went
through, before developing a leak. Do you assume there was a spot you could look at and say, "Hey, this is going to start
leaking soon." and they just left it. Sometimes things just happen.

peter11435

Please stop whining about maintenance and Disney looking to save a buck. How many rides do you think that "log" went
through, before developing a leak. Do you assume there was a spot you could look at and say, "Hey, this is going to start
leaking soon." and they just left it. Sometimes things just happen.
Just to note, if the cause of this incident was the same as similar events in the past, then it’s not exactly a leak. There may not have been anything structurally wrong with the log.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom