Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
You can dispute what the state has or hasn’t done. But that isn’t an excuse for stupidity coming from the district. There are CDC reopening guidelines available and I’m sure officials have information that is useful. That being said, I don’t have the full story here. My judgment is only based on a couple stories I have read so far.
Yeah, those CDC guidelines are pretty terrible and VERY vague. I'm not giving Paulding (this county happens to be near where I live, about 50 miles away) a pass here because like you said, they have had 4 months to come up with a plan. The next few weeks will be very telling.

Why not incorporate staggered openings, or staggered bells so that not everyone is in the halls at once. Common sense stuff that should have been considered months ago.

rowrbazzle

Lost of adults failed at keeping on face masks and social distancing and yet we expect young kids to do that...

Young kids thrive on social interaction, and some don't quite have the attention span to keep on a mask properly

Not to mention some are terrified to step foot in a classroom.

I wasn't referring to the picture. I was thinking of younger elementary students.

I will say, those kids look like they don't have much of a choice. They all got to get to class at one time because they were made to go back to school. One student was smart enough to take a picture of it though.

The local officials do look dumb. Agreed.

My experience with younger elementary students is that they've done fine with masks. My own kids don't even complain about them. I agree that they do have some difficulty keeping them situated properly; they don't always notice when they slip off their nose. I think I might just need to get them different masks. Now, getting them to keep their hands off of everything? 😵 😆

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
. While you need a certain amount of flexibility based on conditions on the ground, the CDC could have put out more specific benchmarks for districts to rely on.
[/QUOTE]
That's what I was getting at. There are easily 5 things schools could do nationally that would help that I can think of right now, not the garbage they put out. I have no children but this really affects everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin_W

My experience with younger elementary students is that they've done fine with masks. My own kids don't even complain about them.

My kid is older but has no problems wearing a mask at the store, doing to soccer practice (required when not on the field), and even all day at Cedar Point as I mentioned earlier. Our "hybrid" school plan (if they are not fully remote) is 3 hrs a day in school. I'm sure she'll manage just fine there as well.

rowrbazzle

Related to Theme Parks, I took my daughter to Cedar Point last week. Their policies are pretty similar to WDW (mandatory masks, distancing in lines, temperature check on the way in, hand sanitizer everywhere, etc.). All in all, it was a good day - it got warm in the afternoon, but masks weren't terribly unpleasant and my daughter didn't complain once. We used the sanitizer before and after every ride, and I was somewhat surprised how well people paid attention to the spacing markers in the lines.

That's good news about Cedar Point. I've always wanted to go and was reading about it on reddit. There were a number of people saying mask compliance and distancing were lacking so I wondered how it was.

Kevin_W

That's good news about Cedar Point. I've always wanted to go and was reading about it on reddit. There were a number of people saying mask compliance and distancing were lacking so I wondered how it was.

Distancing was fine. Mask compliance was good: I saw ~4 groups during the day being deliberately non-compliant, but that's a pretty small %. (Though frustrating. Whether you thinks masks are great or stupid, when you bought a ticket and entered the park you agreed to wear one.)

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I'm keeping all my children home and will be teaching them myself. Mostly economics. They'll be working 16 hour days making crafts for my Etsy store.
1596614557649.png

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Seriously?!? We still can't even enter our town hall for any reason - even paying a bill.
A got a jury summons last night for a federal court. But I had a valid excuse that I wasn’t able to attend and they let me off. I remember there was a question or two about Covid on there as I was completing the initial jury form. However I didn’t pay close attention to that as I had another excuse. Hah

Last edited:

havoc315

From the Disney earnings:

About 50 percent of Disney World’s attendance currently comes from locals/in-state visitors, with the rest made up of travelers who come “from a distance,” Chapek said.

And this is the real danger of theme parks being open while a pandemic rages out of control. With Florida currently a hot spot, even if Disney World takes every possible preventive measure perfectly within the park, at least some visitors will contract the virus while visiting the state. They may contract at a gas station, in a hotel elevator, in an uber. And then these visitors will go back to their home states, which may be taking even less preventive measures, and spread the virus in their home town.

Or conversely, even as Florida brings it's pandemic under control, those 50% out of state visitors.. how many of them will come and bring the virus in with them. Potentially re-introducing even more infections, just as infections fall under control.

I love taking vacations more than most people. I'm fully depressed for having to cancel my Disney plans this summer, as well as all vacations for the foreseeable future. But any non-essential travel just is not a good idea right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom