DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out -

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 10.33.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 10.33.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 10.34.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 10.33.23 AM.png

havoc315

Don’t get me wrong, while I miss those things too, well at least concerts hehe, I recognize that those will not be back for a long time.

I don’t mean to come across as cynical, but the very nature of this virus is novel, so naturally it seems like a lot of responses, even from public health officials, is trial and error. And I feel that at some point, psychologically, many will not be able to deal with the off and on effects of isolation, stay at home orders, avoiding gatherings (even smaller ones), not getting to go to school, and so on.

I don’t doubt the efficacy in the short term of contact tracing, but even countries who pulverized the curve and have robust contact tracing, are seeing spikes and worried about a second wave. France came out today and warned of one. Thats why we need a vaccine, or an extremely reliable (eg, not HC) treatment that can manage symptoms. that’s the only way I think we get back to normal.

1 -- While "trial and error" may suggest an overly simplistic image, it's not totally wrong: We are learning as we go, meaning making adjustments as we go. Learning the degree to which there is airborne transmission... the degree to which it might spread among children.... the long term side effects... learning what treatments work best. As a result, we have managed to bring down the infection fatality rate. It's not randomized trial and error, but there is certainly learning more as we go.

2 -- From the start, I never saw any public health expert / epidemiology expert suggest that once we bring down the curve, it will be smooth sailing. The danger of additional waves and spikes was always part of the expectation. The issue is how quickly do you react to a spike -- do you catch it when it's a few hundred cases and a handful of deaths, or do you let it grow to tens of thousands of cases and hundreds/thousands of deaths.

3 -- We are unlikely to ever get back to "normal" with the flick of a light switch. Yes, we need a vaccine. Yes, we need improved therapies. But we aren't going to get a moment where, "ABC Pharmaceutical found the cure, everyone can go back to normal next month." A vaccine is not likely to be 100% effective, and may even be far less than that. 100% of people won't take the vaccine (depending on the type of vaccine, many vulnerable people might not even be able to take it). And of course, the vaccine will take many months to mass produce and distribute.
As we do get vaccines and better therapies, as we learn what mitigation strategies work best, we will gradually normalize. And that's already happening. I'm in what was a major New York hot spot... we have re-opened very very slowly. So yes, "normal" isn't anything like 6 months ago. But we are back to eating at restaurants, even if only at outdoor tables. Yes, we are wearing masks everywhere, but stores are open again. And, hopefully, kids will even partially be going back to regular school next month.

I think it would be wisest to buckle up and accept "new normal" for the medium-term: many months, not weeks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I believe most if not all of the state sites reopened by today. The South FL ones I think were open yesterday.
We should get a good idea how long the lag is. Looks like 2 days with the initial drop 2 days after sites closed. If tomorrow is still down but then back up Thursday that should confirm it.

Kevin_W

Encouraging #'s. Although we have a long way to go to get back down even to the peaks of April, it is nice to see the downward slope being rather steep instead of the slow decline of April/May. Hopefully instead of just dumb luck it is a result of policy decisions and public compliance and we can keep that up.

Related to Theme Parks, I took my daughter to Cedar Point last week. Their policies are pretty similar to WDW (mandatory masks, distancing in lines, temperature check on the way in, hand sanitizer everywhere, etc.). All in all, it was a good day - it got warm in the afternoon, but masks weren't terribly unpleasant and my daughter didn't complain once. We used the sanitizer before and after every ride, and I was somewhat surprised how well people paid attention to the spacing markers in the lines.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yeah, masks not mandatory in this district....and they have other issues. Seems this is the way NOT to do it...

rowrbazzle

Do you really think there is any scientific evidence that 10% is the number - bet it is a wild guess as are most of these recommendations. Also would that be OK for 10% rioters spitting in the face of cops?

The woman was a professor and has published research in the area so from that standpoint I assume there is a basis to it. I think she was saying (simplistically) that given the typical population of schools it should be possible to manage at X% of infection through isolation and tracing, etc. It wasn't a blanket statement.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Lost of adults failed at keeping on face masks and social distancing and yet we expect young kids to do that...

Young kids thrive on social interaction, and some don't quite have the attention span to keep on a mask properly

Not to mention some are terrified to step foot in a classroom.

Those kids don’t look terrified. They look kind of dumb. The district looks dumber. The local officials look dumb. This is the plan they had the summer to prepare for? Lame.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
. There are CDC reopening guidelines available and I’m sure officials have information that is useful. That being said, I don’t have the full story here. My judgment is only based on a couple stories I have read so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

KBLovedDisney

Those kids don’t look terrified. They look kind of dumb. The district looks dumber. The local officials look dumb. This is the plan they had the summer to prepare for? Lame.
I wasn't referring to the picture. I was thinking of younger elementary students.

I will say, those kids look like they don't have much of a choice. They all got to get to class at one time because they were made to go back to school. One student was smart enough to take a picture of it though.

The local officials do look dumb. Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom