So... a Splash Mountain log sank..

Tom Morrow

Universal's rides always look good because there's little to nothing to maintain. ;)
But they also keep simpler things like audio, video, and lighting working great. Tons of WDW attractions have absolutely abysmal audio-visual quality. For starters, Tower of Terror. Looks and sound like absolute garbage, even though there isn't actually that much to the show to maintain.

tirian

But they also keep simpler things like audio, video, and lighting working great. Tons of WDW attractions have absolutely abysmal audio-visual quality. For starters, Tower of Terror. Looks and sound like absolute garbage, even though there isn't actually that much to the show to maintain.
The special effects in TOT are so easy to maintain that it should always look like it’s the opening day. We’re talking about some projectors on scrims.

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Disney suggested re-theming the ride...

It didn't end well.

---
6c62c69c2774112e45edd289f1189964.jpg
Nuke95? is that you?

invader

Yeah this isn't new for Splash at all, it's just had a few years of relative stability. It wasn't long ago we were having a similar conversation over a rock falling in the loading area, issues with the lifthill, constant closures etc. Every 8 years or so it seems to get into a really bad state and we're just about there again.

It got bad enough that they had nasty cloth barriers over the loading area.
I can’t believe it’s been 8 years. Where does time go.

Tom Morrow

Right. Someone should tell 'em about Forbidden Journey's screens or Rip Saw Fall's chipped and sun-dried figures.
So... so... sooo much of any of the surfaces at UOR are one or more of the following:

- chipped
- sun faded
- dented/cracked
- rusty
- covered with grime

Yes, the parks look fine at glances or general overviews, but if you look closely at literally almost anything in the parks, aside from Potter stuff, you will see ample amounts of these things. Some areas of IOA and USF look downright decrepit and clearly haven't received any care in years, possibly decades. SeaWorld looks way better, despite being much simpler. Yes, you will find examples of this at Disney, but not anywhere near the extent of at UOR. What I'm getting at is, WDW is not alone in maintenance woes, those woes are just in different areas and aspects.

CaptainAmerica

To be fair, the audio is usually better at WDW than Disneyland, which seems to have to philosophy that audio is "good" if they just crank the volume up to unbearable levels. I can barely stand Indiana Jones.

Lilofan

So... so... sooo much of any of the surfaces at UOR are one or more of the following:

- chipped
- sun faded
- dented/cracked
- rusty
- covered with grime

Yes, the parks look fine at glances or general overviews, but if you look closely at literally almost anything in the parks, aside from Potter stuff, you will see ample amounts of these things. Some areas of IOA and USF look downright decrepit and clearly haven't received any care in years, possibly decades. SeaWorld looks way better, despite being much simpler. Yes, you will find examples of this at Disney, but not anywhere near the extent of at UOR. What I'm getting at is, WDW is not alone in maintenance woes, those woes are just in different areas and aspects.
Tower of Terror and Haunted Mansion can get away with looking old, broken down, dusty and dirty.

BellaSweet8384

When I was little, we went to Dorney Park.. The first ride we got on was the log flume ride. Now, it had POURED the night before..the water was so high, it was sloshing over the sides of the ride on to the ground. It probably should have been closed but hey, it was the 80s and safety wasn't important ;) We didnt sink, we got drenched but water wasnt pouring into our log. I'm thinking the WDW logs need a lil work lol

ppete1975

This has been brought up with the other safety accidents, just this year. To a degree it is true with certain things, but safety wise, this would have been something someone would have recorded or gone with even before instant media. It is not like smart phones with this capability have only been around for the past two years.
Haunted Mansion
Jungle Cruise
People Mover
Splash Mountain

All safety issues with lack of mainteince since Feburary with the parks not even being open for over three of those months and low attended since reopening. This is without even going into the poor showmanship.
Instagram twitter have exploded over the last 5 years, we have also become a culture that records every second of our life and likes to show how great we are and how cool we are and have to post everything. And don't forget the monorail stuff from a few years ago. But go back to 70s 80s and this happens... maybe 10 people even know it happens. Then one of those people decides to waste film on a picture of it (which probably wouldn't have happened), and that picture is put in an album that maybe every 5 years is pulled out and laughed at. Oh and it was probably a really dark blurry picture.
I am in no way excusing the lack of show... and there is no excuse for safety issues. All I am saying is this isn't new. But as things continue to age, and maintenance is cut, it will increase.

beertiki

I did not read the last 10 pages, but I do not seem to understand how those logs were not made to have enough buoyancy to be unsinkable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom