On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Hey just get a better job with insurance that is paid for.

giphy.webp

3-D

Is it shaming? Or telling people 'stop complaining and do something about it?'

Last I looked, people like Dave Ramsey aren't out picketing apple stores or walmarts, etc demanding people change.
No, people like him and you are comfortably on their pedestal showing disdain for people who can’t ascend the social and economic ladder with as much success as you.

mkt

Premium Member
Last I looked, people like Dave Ramsey aren't out picketing apple stores or walmarts, etc demanding people change.

I took a Dave Ramsey course when my previous employer offered it for free.

It's great for people without any financial discipline. But still doesn't accept the realities of the world, where you need good credit for lots of things, like lower insurance rates and some employer background checks, and you need to use your credit to have a good score; or that a 1999 Toyota Camry is nowhere near as safe as a 2020 model.

To get out of debt, use the debt snowball method, and negotiate with your creditors. Open a 0% balance transfer card if you haven't destroyed your credit yet. Also a great strategy to float something at 0% if you don't want to take the hit to your liquidity.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No, people like him and you are comfortably on their pedestal showing disdain for people who can’t ascend the social and economic ladder with as much success as you.

Unless the person can tell me what they are doing about their situation to change it - I really don't care for the boohoo stories.

And if your story is "I really can't make ends meet working for Disney.." and you keep working for Disney without a plan on how you're going to change that... well then yes, I have zero empathy for them. Because the onus is on YOU to drive your future - not anyone else.

brianstl

If you have kids that are planning to go to college and will need to take out student loans to Do so, you should consider suggesting they at least explore going into a trade. They won’t be saddled with debt for years, can earn a good salary and have better health/retirement benefits than they are likely to get in the vast majority of college degree jobs.

AEfx

Unless the person can tell me what they are doing about their situation to change it - I really don't care for the boohoo stories.

And if your story is "I really can't make ends meet working for Disney.." and you keep working for Disney without a plan on how you're going to change that... well then yes, I have zero empathy for them. Because the onus is on YOU to drive your future - not anyone else.

Some day this will be on a placard at a museum, with the caption:

“An example of 20th century mid-stage capitalism thought, once believed to be widely attainable but under the conditions of end-stage capitalism became a fanciful notion instead of the reality for the masses.”

mkt

Premium Member
If you have kids that are planning to go to college and will need to take out student loans to Do so, you should consider suggesting they at least explore going into a trade. They won’t be saddled with debt for years, can earn a good salary and have better health/retirement benefits than they are likely to get in the vast majority of college degree jobs.

Honestly, knowing what I know now, I should've gone to auto tech school. I've always been a car geek, loved tinkering with them, already do most of my own maintenance, and am smart enough to do my own books and marketing. Seeing how well my mechanic lives, that's the better choice.

Lilofan

One better get good health insurance. Percentages of getting injured on the job is greater in skilled trade jobs.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
TL;DR/ Disney's in a bad position financially, layoffs already started, layoffs to continue, expect cuts in the parks, Iger's legacy is tarnished.

Also car buying advice, something about bootstraps, and avocados are good.

No, no... avocados are great.

Check out also Seminole State College, Rolllins College, Brevard College, Polk State College, and Stetson University. They're a bit further out, but not so far that WDW day trips are out of the question. Really, any institution of higher education within a two hour drive should be good, so that should open anything from Palm Beach County to St Johns County on the east coast, Sarasota County to Levy County on the west, and Alachua County to Highlands County in the middle of the state. That's a LOT of potential, good luck.

Looking towards Daytona Beach or Tampa also isn't a bad idea. An hour drive to the parks with the nice perk of having the beach next to you.

I understand, but there becomes a point where if you change jobs too often, it begins to look bad.
Also, there is a difference between changing jobs as stepping stones, contracts change, maintaining and learning new skills, or a host of other professional reasons. I am arguing about quitting jobs routinely, taking a parallel job, and thinking somehow it will be different this time around.

People do not leave bad companies, they leave bad bosses.

Leaving bad bosses is very true. I got head hunted for my current job and was happy to leave my boss at the time. Made my life much better as a result. I find employers care a lot less now about jumping jobs in this market.

Can we officially rename this thread “life stories of people who have nothing better to do than post their life story on a Disney fan page and pretend their life is better than the average Disney CM?”

Isn't that pretty much this entire forum?

Hey just get a better job with insurance that is paid for.

I did that. It was fun until COVID-19 hit and they dialed that back for a year.

This. We need to get rid of the idea that college is the only way to have a career. Getting my oldest interested in computer programming at an earlier age as a result.

Tom P.

Frugality is certainly a virtue, but it’s also become a cult. It’s extremely common amongst my generation that grew up in the shadow of the 2008 crash and particularly in my line of work (accounting/finance). You’re correct, if someone is struggling, the first two things that they bring up are “takeout coffee” and “smartphones.” As though these are the cause of all social ills.

These people love Dave Ramsey, think all debt is bad, and aspire to live on shoestring budgets. Dislikes include new cars (never allowed), Starbucks, and the suburbs. Of course travel is still allowed since that’s not consumption... it’s an “experience that makes you cultured.” I mean, how could anyone ever be truly cultured until they can post a picture on Instagram of themselves holding up the Leaning Tower of Pisa with their bare hand? Well, forgo the iPhone and the coffee long enough, and you can be cultured too!

Again, I have no issues with frugality. The Greatest Generation was frugal. They didn’t shout it out loud, though - they just lived it. But Dave Ramsey (and his contemporaries), as well as social media, have changed the landscape. Now it’s all about shaming people for their bad decisions.
It must be physically painful to be this wrong.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh yes.

For its first few years, this “News and Rumors” forum was essentially an online club for many insiders to trade gossip. Think of a local bar after work. Pheneix was one of those original members. Lee and Marni were others. Their track records were impeccable.

Iger had just become CEO and his original policy for WDW was “maintain, don’t build.” Disney refurbed Main Street USA and the HM but ignored almost everything else. You can imagine how negative the insider opinions were.

As the site became more popular and the forums gained more Pixie Dusters, the new members couldn’t handle the realistic conversations and labeled the insiders “Doom-and-Gloomers,” an issue that did exist on many Disney fan sites but was rarely a problem here. But it became tiresome to constantly battle, and many of the new members set themselves up as self-styled experts even though they were not insiders at all—just curiously defensive fans. Original insiders began to fade away.

We also had a few good years with a certain Spirit who left MiceChat and headed here; and even though his attitude was gruff, his Disney business knowledge was dead-on. But he frequently mixed political and personal opinions into his posts, and people joined the boards to tail him and constantly argue even when his Disney news was right.

Steve (Mr. WDWMagic himself) still knows what’s going on, but there are fewer insiders constantly posting. For one thing, many left the company. Others were afraid of revealing their sources when Lasseter cracked down on leaks during his brief stint at WDI. The Spirited discussions on here also attracted Disney Social Media employees who set up accounts specifically to argue and defend. And Lee, Pheneix, and others drifted off.

These are still the best WDW fan forums; and tbh, once a site grows like this, it can’t be the office water cooler for gossip. There are just too many people. Most of the modern news isn’t interesting anyway.

It’s good to see Pheneix again.
That is a really good summary. Heard tidbits over the years - but never saw the backstory as laid out.

Very informative. I’m such a “negative” (or perceived as such) to insiders because of the three bold letters...but this is pretty informative. Thank you.

_caleb

I would love to know who is the "king of living wage" decision so we can get a number from them that is realistic based upon geographic region considering all areas different. The rate is not what businesses want to pay and it is not what the laziest of lazy employees want either. It's probably somewhere in the middle and you will never please all so do not try....let the market decide since we are free to work and search for work at anytime.

Staying put is easy and complaining about your job is even easier. Making change happen takes work and growth. The choice is up to the individual and some choose to stay in the same position because it is comfortable and risk never getting a real pay increase above COLA.
I agree there isn’t a set number for “living wage,” but it’s certainly higher than most State minimum wages.

There’s actually a common way to calculate a living wage, called market basket research. It’s used to determine parity in different areas- basically it looks at how much necessities cost and then determining how far a dollar goes in that area. So instead of talking about dollar amounts, it might be better to discuss what constitutes a person’s/family’s needs.

EDIT: By discussing “what constitutes a person’s/family’s needs,“ I don’t mean “ask the employee how much they need,” but rather, “have the community determine what the essentials should be for its citizens.”

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom