Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

October82

It’s open right now...couldn’t get much worse on the ground. Outside of a series of outbreaks directly linked to WDW I don’t see them shutting down for anything Covid related. It is possible that the economics force a shutdown if demand really drops off.

One big concern for all businesses is that the combination of the flu and Covid will overwhelm hospitals in the Fall and Winter leading to new closures.

NickMaio

this virus is completely uncharted waters. I mean no one even expected the summer spike to spike the way it did. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few months. Especially since the fall is when it was predicted to be more violent.
Get ready for the actual flu season......"hold onto your butts!".
FL needs some serious number drops and soon. Otherwise.........🤯

NickMaio

It’s open right now...couldn’t get much worse on the ground. Outside of a series of outbreaks directly linked to WDW I don’t see them shutting down for anything Covid related. It is possible that the economics force a shutdown if demand really drops off.
The second wave is coming.....just wait.

willtravel

One big concern for all businesses is that the combination of the flu and Covid will overwhelm hospitals in the Fall and Winter leading to new closures.
I agree it will be a big mess. The symptoms of Covid are very similar to a cold, sinus infection, flu. I feel sorry for doctors. I think there will be great confusion and panic and a mess. JMO
I still don't understand, all these Covid positives, are these people feeling symptoms or just getting tested and coming out positive? Is there any data showing on a daily basic how many are negative vs. being tested as positive?

Last edited:

NickMaio

Exactly.........its sad news but true. Covid really hit after North Americas common flu season.
Now we will have many other flu's to contend with.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Exactly.........its sad news but true. Covid really hit after North Americas common flu season.
Now we will have many other flu's to contend with.
The flip side to that is in a typical flu season:
  • All kids are in physical school
  • Colleges are fully open (with all the saliva swapping fun that goes along with it...beer pong...drunken hook ups...dorms)
  • Bars/clubs/buffets are all open and thriving with holiday crowds
  • People are traveling all over on completely sold out flights with no precautions at all
  • Big cities are packed with people on mass transit with no precautions
  • Nobody wears masks in public or makes any attempt to social distance
  • Huge parties are not only allowed but encouraged...the good old days :)
  • Places like WDW see massive holiday crowds
The point is that this year should in theory be a much more mild flu season because of the “new normal” and that doesn’t account for the expected rise in people getting flu shots. I’ve seen a few polls showing an increased desire to get a flu shot from people who never did it before. The flu is less contagious than Covid so in theory if we follow all of the Covid precautions a lot less people should get the flu.

On the hospital front, I agree that it’s a fact that hospitals usually fill to near capacity from regular flu season so if you combine demand during a regular flu season plus demand from Covid the total demand for rooms is greater than supply. The above should help reduce total demand, but the other side of the equation needs to be addressed. If you and I in some Disney fan forum recognize the potential problem I sure hope that people running hospitals see it too And are planning for it already. Expanding capacity, preparing for overflow spaces if needed, stockpiling PPE and other supplies, etc. We all know when flu season starts so there’s no excuse to be caught short on hospital capacity.

SamusAranX

Here’s what I think a reasonable strategy for ER and doctors offices, etc should be this season

Anyone showing symptoms should get tested for the flu first. I could be wrong, but flu tests are rather plentiful (I mean I have never heard of a shortage in my 30 years on this earth) and have a rather quick turnaround time at least compared to the covid testing delays. Regardless, send them home with instructions to quarantine / self isolate. Same procedure in admittance, eliminate the easy answer first (is it flu not flu etc)
Then (and only then) if the test is negative, move onto assuming it’s Covid and test for it. This would help reduce burden on testing labs and stress the system less, no? I might be naive on this though.

and in the situation of self care or those who don’t go to the doctors or do a televisit (my preferred Avenue) the public messaging should be; any symptoms, even if you are 99.99 percent sure it’s the flu, STAY HOME!!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here’s what I think a reasonable strategy for ER and doctors offices, etc should be this season

Anyone showing symptoms should get tested for the flu first. I could be wrong, but flu tests are rather plentiful (I mean I have never heard of a shortage in my 30 years on this earth) and have a rather quick turnaround time at least compared to the covid testing delays. Regardless, send them home with instructions to quarantine / self isolate. Same procedure in admittance, eliminate the easy answer first (is it flu not flu etc)
Then (and only then) if the test is negative, move onto assuming it’s Covid and test for it. This would help reduce burden on testing labs and stress the system less, no? I might be naive on this though.

and in the situation of self care or those who don’t go to the doctors or do a televisit (my preferred Avenue) the public messaging should be; any symptoms, even if you are 99.99 percent sure it’s the flu, STAY HOME!!
We need to do more testing. This article talks about the plans in the U.K. which includes new 90 minute tests with the capability of testing an entire town as soon as an outbreak is recognized. The tests also test for both Covid and flu so anyone with symptoms does one test and finds out what they have within 90 mins. This is the kind of stuff the US should be investing in instead of wasting time on conspiracy theories and finger pointing. Of course you have to be in favor of more testing not less for this to make sense.

Last edited:

Kevin_W

Won't masks and distancing enable an associated decline in all respiratory illnesses especially if school doesn't open?

That's exactly what @GoofGoof just posted. And if there is any silver lining at all in this Covid mess its that we've all become more aware to tranmissability of respiratory disease and hopefully we can put these practices to use against the flu and other future diseases (as Asia put their previous experience to use against this one).

Kevin_W

We need to do more testing. This article talks about the plans in the U.K. which includes new 90 minute tests with the capability of testing an entire town as soon as an outbreak is recognized. The tests also test for both Covid and flu so anyone with symptoms does one test and finds out what they have within 90 mins. This is the kind of stuff the US should be investing in instead of wasting time on conspiracy theories and finger pointing. Of course you have to be in favor of more testing not less for this to make sense.

I've read many things about the desire for faster testing (pregnancy test-like kits). If they could really do 90-minute testing with high accuracy, I could see airlines heavily investing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To help start something new to talk about related to this thread. Is it likely that Disney World will do much for Christmas? I am considering taking family down for a week in December but really only if they have decorations up.

Insiders are saying that the upcharge Christmas party at MK will be scrapped, just like the Halloween parties are.

But they'll still have decorations and Christmas cavalcades and music and food. Hey, kids, look! It's a random Santa!! (But no sitting on Santa's lap.)

Count on the Candlelight Processional to be out... too popular with too many people packed in a theaters and stopping along the walkway to listen.

Don't know if Epcot can even do the Holiday story-tellers since they draw a crowd.

And no fireworks or castle shows... just like now.

And if community spread of COVID is still happening, then there will still be low capacity-locked attendance. Look for a lot of people to bitterly complain that they can't get a reservation to get into a WDW park during Christmas week.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1596458410103.png

1596458439915.png

Kevin_W

Count on the Candlelight Processional to be out... too popular with too many people packed in a theaters and stopping along the walkway to listen.

Also, aren't most of the CP choirs school and church choirs that submit auditions and are selected to perform? There are not many if any schools or churches) having choir right now. So that would be tough.

I just hope that this doesn't permanently end such a great (and free!) entertainment offering. Though I suspect that WDW makes enough money off dining packages (and families of choirs visiting WDW in general) that they would regard this as a new positive $$.

carolina_yankee

Also, aren't most of the CP choirs school and church choirs that submit auditions and are selected to perform? There are not many if any schools or churches) having choir right now. So that would be tough.

I just hope that this doesn't permanently end such a great (and free!) entertainment offering. Though I suspect that WDW makes enough money off dining packages (and families of choirs visiting WDW in general) that they would regard this as a new positive $$.

there is no way to safely have a mass choir right now, but I can’t imagine Disney not brining back CP when it’s possible again. That has to be a huge money-maker/draw and and Epcot is going to need all the help it can get with so much put on hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom