On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

CaptainAmerica

Vegas is a hospitality city, and people there earn a living wage..
The waiters and waitresses at WDW TS dining locations earn a living wage too. Vegas isn't swarming with glorified carnival ride operators.

Disney needs to be expanding the CP model, not eliminating it. No grown adult should be running a theme park ride for a "career" but people are desperate to work for Disney.

Sir_Cliff

I've had professors in my classes when I was in school. Some one can easily tell that they would not last one week in the corporate business world so they teach..

Long time buy and hold stock investoršŸ‘
And an autodidact who home schools, I see.

Fair play to you.

celluloid

The waiters and waitresses at WDW TS dining locations earn a living wage too. Vegas isn't swarming with glorified carnival ride operators.

Disney needs to be expanding the CP model, not eliminating it. No grown *** adult should be running a theme park ride for a "career" but people are desperate to work for Disney.
This is sad truth. You can do it, if you are going to live within tight means for .let people and likely to never be self sustainable. I also think performers often get paid too much. There may be a shift of that as well.

CaptainAmerica

I will say, though, that we can't complain too much about customer service at WDW if they rely on people who make horrible life decisions to staff the place.
As I said, we need more CPs and retirees. Fewer college graduates with student loan debt or mid-career people who quit their real jobs after a divorce and moved to their happy place for the sake of a blue pass and a 20% merch discount.

Lilofan

I don't really see that as a problem. The biggest hospitality city in the country is bound to be the lowest wage city because hospitality is the lowest wage industry.

I know we love our cast members but most of them make horrible life decisions.
The last part is why when people have emergencies some don't have rainy day funds. And it's not just theme park workers. It's the poor life decisions that ones don't want to talk about.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbagā„¢
Premium Member
No grown *** adult should be running a theme park ride for a "career" but people are desperate to work for Disney.

What I will say, some smarter ones stay part time on the weekends while working a full time "real" job outside of the parks, and leverage the glorious golden turd that is "The Walt Disney Company" on their resume for a job search in another state later on.

CaptainAmerica

You're typically a good poster, but you love to insult the sh-- out of Cast Members any chance you get and like, maybe you... shouldn't?
Maybe I have experience that you don't. Maybe I've seen people destroy their marriages by going into thousands of dollars of credit card debt buying damaged merchandise at Property Control. Maybe I've seen people abandon jobs that provide for their families for a minimum wage job and food stamps.

I have many good friends who are cast members, both in "front line" and professional fields. The culture is toxic.

You just come off like a self-righteous prick.
It's my brand.

Tom Morrow

Maybe I have experience that you don't. Maybe I've seen people destroy their marriages by going into thousands of dollars of credit card debt buying damaged merchandise at Property Control. Maybe I've seen people abandon jobs that provide for their families for a minimum wage job and food stamps.

I have many good friends who are cast members, both in "front line" and professional fields. The culture is toxic.

It's my brand.
Yes, but right now is not the time to be all "akshully its YoUr FaULt that you're struggling and about to be evicted!"

YodaMan

Yikes, this is taking a turn. Maybe, just maybe, we shouldnā€™t be crapping on the CMs you expect excellent service from by calling them moronic or financially irresponsible? You canā€™t expect a quality experience while saying that the only people who should work here are interns and retirees that deserve less than a living wage.

Lilofan

Disney needs to be expanding the CP model, not eliminating it. No grown *** adult should be running a theme park ride for a "career" but people are desperate to work for Disney.
I don't agree. Anyone with a mindset to save and invest at an early age, autoinvest weekly into 401K , live below their means, at any various earning wages can get ahead building their net worth thru mutual fund investing and 401K. I've know a few hourly workers in companies that remain content in the same job for many years, live unassuming lives and their net worth is more than one can imagine. It's an attitude mindset not many have.

Tom Morrow

Yikes, this is taking a turn. Maybe, just maybe, we shouldnā€™t be crapping on the CMs you expect excellent service from by calling them moronic or financially irresponsible? You canā€™t expect a quality experience while saying that the only people who should work here are interns and retirees that deserve less than a living wage.

It's unfortunately a recurring theme here with @CaptainAmerica and several others.

It's safe to assume what type of guest they are.

Sir_Cliff

Indeed.

It often surprises how many Disney fans both have super expectations for the standard of general happiness and service they deserve to be offered from CMs while also having utter contempt for them and their decision to become CMs. It suggests a medieval castle is indeed a fitting emblem for the Magic Kingdom.

CaptainAmerica

"Deserve" has nothing to do with it, nor did I call anyone moronic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom