On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

UNCgolf

Yeah, I don’t get all the hate. Disney has had hits and misses under both Eisner and Iger. Obviously, we’d all love to see them build and spend like crazy and give Imagineers total freedom. But we’ve got great stuff over the years.

BTW, I spent a LOT of time at DCA 1.0 and while I actually think they were trying to do something different with that park (not just cheap, but different). I wouldn’t say it was a success (I’m really glad for Buena Vista Street, Cartland, etc.), but I sometimes think it was misunderstood.

I don't hate Iger, but I don't think his biggest successes stack up with the best things that came to WDW under Eisner (including two whole new parks). Plus, the parks were just a more diverse, interesting place with better theming during Eisner's reign as CEO (at least until close to the end). It's all a matter of opinion, of course.

HongKongFooy

Anywhere from 75-90% of Americans support mask requirements

While on vacation in the tropics or in Florida???????

Please don't do that. ......bring up stupid out of context stats.

The context is mask wearing while vacationing or doing recreation in humid, hot areas like Florida and Caribbean ........you know this but yet cite an irrelevancy.

Nice try but I'm calling you out in this.

Lilofan

The context is mask wearing while vacationing or doing recreation in humid, hot areas like Florida and Caribbean ........you know this but yet cite an irrelevancy.

If Florida is not completely on board with wearing a mask, no surprise Florida is an epicenter due to peoples ignorance.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I tend to agree with you. It's not that I'm unwilling to wear a mask; I do it daily when I'm out and about. I just don't want to do it on vacation, when I'm supposed to be having fun or relaxing.

We were booked to go to WDW in March, of course that got canceled. We then moved that trip to early July, but it got canceled as well. We turned that cancellation into a trip to Yellowstone and the Black Hills. It was wonderful! The weather was beautiful, the crowds were light, and I didn't have to wear a mask while I was gawking at Old Faithful.

Right now we have reservations at the GF for December, but I think we're going to pitch that for skiing in Breckenridge. It just sounds better right now.

So I agree that the 'Rona has hamstrung WDW, Vegas and many other pure entertainment/travel destinations. (We canceled a trip to Vegas during all of this as well!) I also agree that it'll be a looooong road back for these industries, and the people that work there will obviously go through much pain and change. This is one of the reasons I firmly believe that we as a Country need to mask up and open EVERYTHING. But I don't agree that Iger has any reason to feel disgraced. The Coronavirus would have ravaged Disney no matter who the CEO was; no matter if there was more or less IP in Epcot; no matter how many DVC hotels there were; no matter if you liked New Fantasyland or not. Bob Iger is free from blame in my eyes regarding the Coronavirus.

The only piece of his legacy that might sour is the heavy China investment, and we haven't really touched on that in this thread because it's another subject, and only slightly related to the virus. If our relationship with Beijing continues to deteriorate, then Iger will certainly be vilified for that huge miscalculation.
The other piece is overpricing that undercuts the core market and timidity in domestic investment.

And those chickens are walking down the road towards the mailbox as we speak

Rider

I live in Florida. I'm at Epcot right now. People are just fine here.

Masks are not for fun. They are to help stop this virus and save lives.

I'm sorry you don't like facts that disagree with your premise. Most Americans are willing to wear masks to stop this deadly virus.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I'm sorry you don't like facts that disagree with your premise. Most Americans are willing to wear masks to stop this deadly virus.
I agree with your first two paragraphs in general...

The problem is the third.

Brer Oswald

This isn’t a matter of “I don’t want to wear a mask”. It’s a matter of “I don’t want to spend thousands on a vacation to WDW if I have to wear a mask in the uncomfortable heat for 15 hours.”

As a Florida resident, this reasoning doesn’t apply to you. It also explains why you don’t get it. WDW as it stands is a luxury to those who aren’t locals. If you aren’t getting an experience worth the money, why go?

brb1006

Iger fixed all of Eisners mess. I highly recommend you watch anything on what DCA was when it first opened, it was embarrassing. Eisner almost lost Pixar, while Iger purchased it along with Star Wars and marvel. The “Save Disney” campaign was launched by Roy Disney jr. to save the company from Eisners mess. Iger has been the best CEO of the company since Walt.

Eisner has also been responsible for:
Dinoland
HK Disneyland (Never has had one (Profitable year)
Walt Disney studios in Paris (complete dump)
Do I need to go on?
Iger doesn't have the same charisma as Eisner when it comes to speeches and televised apperances. I remember Eisner showed up in a lot of old Disney TV Specials, love the guy or not. He at least had some sort of charm. Iger's just to stern and serious.

brb1006

Thats a damn good question.

And o be honest, those of us who went between 2002-2005 were spoiled by low crowds. It was damn enjoyable.
I remember my first visit to Magic Kingdom (circa 2004) my memory is vivid. But I do remember it wasn't as stressful compared to now. In a way, it felt more "peaceful" since guests weren't like they are today (pre-Magic Bands). The shops still had some good merch and the trees were still around.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but Universal is virtually turning a day ticket into an AP that lasts through 2020.

It begins! Depending on how one does this math this is a nearly 55% discount on an annual pass. Which was already pretty steeply affordable for residents - in my opinion.

I think we're going to see a hard stop on the annual / semi-annual ticket prices hikes for the next little while. I don't think they will be bold enough to cut the actual hard ticket prices. But we're going back to the days of sub-100$ one day tickets very quickly (with semi-permanent promotions).

Lilofan

I remember my first visit to Magic Kingdom (circa 2004) my memory is vivid. But I do remember it wasn't as stressful compared to now. In a way, it felt more "peaceful" since guests weren't like they are today (pre-Magic Bands).
Less technology back then. Getting fast passes was getting in first thing in the morning walking from attraction to attraction. No one looking and staring into their smartphones.

Brer Oswald

Iger doesn't have the same charisma as Eisner when it comes to speeches and televised apperances. I remember Eisner showed up in a lot of old Disney TV Specials, love the guy or not. He at least had some sort of charm. Iger's just to stern and serious.
Eisner really seemed to understand the need to market himself as a “character”. We all know that Walt did this pretty well. You become more impressionable and beloved to the audience as a face of the company.

Iger’s biggest mistake was remaining behind closed doors for the majority of his tenure. When he came out, it was too little too late. I fear Chapek will do the same thing.

Let’s look at Nintendo again. The Wii U era was very damaging for their reputation. But their CEO and American president both put themselves out there. Reggie Fils Aime And Satoru Iwata were loved by the fans. It almost softened the blow on their disappointing output in the early - mid 2010s. If the Disney Executives did the same, the effect would be similar.

asianway

I remember my first visit to Magic Kingdom (circa 2004) my memory is vivid. But I do remember it wasn't as stressful compared to now. In a way, it felt more "peaceful" since guests weren't like they are today (pre-Magic Bands).
I’d have assumed your first visit was closer to 1994, with your knowledge

Rider

This isn’t a matter of “I don’t want to wear a mask”. It’s a matter of “I don’t want to spend thousands on a vacation to WDW if I have to wear a mask in the uncomfortable heat for 15 hours.”

As a Florida resident, this reasoning doesn’t apply to you. It also explains why you don’t get it. WDW as it stands is a luxury to those who aren’t locals. If you aren’t getting an experience worth the money, why go?
Don't knock it until you've tried it. Frankly I'm standing in full sun right now waiting for food and my face is a lot cooler than my arms or legs. The mask is a great sun block.

It's also pretty busy today.

brb1006

Less technology back then. Getting fast passes was getting in first thing in the morning walking from attraction to attraction. No one looking and staring into their smartphones.
I still own some old Walt Disney World planning videos that advertised the then new "Fast Pass" system (2000 and 2001). It was released during the 100 Years of Magic Celebration.

Out of all the Disney Planning videos, this was the one I watched the most as a kid.

Here's the 2000 video

Just watching the Planning Video from 2001 is already making me miss this Disney. Those videos actually felt welcoming and genuine compared to anything from the "Disney Parks' blog.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom