On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ah. Given my hiatus, i shall elaborate farther.

The best case scenario right now is Disney's post 9/11 reaction. Which involved mass layoffs, cancelled projects, and attendance falling off a cliff.

You're right that it doesnt equate much, but its the closest I can come up with. Things are going to be bad.
The 9/11 era was actually the convergence of a couple of things - at least in Orlando..so there are a couple comparisons. The incident was actually a micro form of a “double dip” recession.

I had been told...and had no reason to doubt...that the late 70’s/early 80’s economic slump was more impactful...but it was a different era as well in money.

2008 should have been worse...but Iger - to his credit - managed to outgame it and make promises that he was able to keep - but shouldn’t have.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Eisner did a good job developing crescent lake
Early 90’s...

That was the peak of construction in wdw. Eisner/wells from 86 to roughly 97 really made the place what it is now. Just as important as the phase 1 of the old guard.

Iger inherited 90% of that...but is often given credit by the less attuned as having built it.

He’s built timeshares...and a couple of new stops on the pathways in the parks...if we’re accurate.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah - but the economy is interconnected. Where people would expect jobs to be shed.. aren't the only areas.. because while someone says "oh the waiter at the restaurant is sure to lose his work..." - this trickles way way back up the chain as all the companies that sell products to that restaurant are impacted, etc. Suddenly you have a Sales VP at a telecomms company sweating because it is not that his company is shutdown, it's the whole web of industry that is slowed that works its way back to them.

The drop in demand across the board is the real killer. Disney Parks and places like vegas are hyper exposed because they are so narrowly defined. When the travel engine shuts down... it's like someone sucking all the air out of the room.

Until the airline industry gets back to a healthy upward trend... I see Disney staying in deep doodoo.
One of your best posts...cuts it to the bone.
I think that's a big issue, actually (well, not so much for Disney -- it's a great thing for the company).

So many people don't realize how incredibly good WDW was in the early 90s. They have no memory of EPCOT being absolutely incredible, nor do they realize how much has been lost at the Magic Kingdom -- not as much in terms of rides (there are a few gone), but in terms of all the other interesting experiences like all of the themed stores that have been replaced with shops all selling the same merchandise everywhere.

They don't have that as a comparison point, so they don't know how far downhill things have gone.
Same comment as above 👍🏻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Let’s not forget Eisner green lit this:

For god’s sakes. I get it...you’re a disgruntled DCA activist. You guys are usually cooler than this.

And if you profile is right...you were about 7 when that park opened (hence not well versed in the “olden” days)...so how does it burn you personally this bad?
If we’re going to cherrypick, then let’s also not forget that’s Iger green lit “baby on a stick”.
But then he likely increased prices on snacks 30% within a week...so the big picture was still good.

Brer Oswald

For god’s sakes. I get it...you’re a disgruntled DCA activist. You guys are usually cooler than this.

And if you profile is right...you were about 7 when that park opened (hence not well versed in the “olden” days)...so how does it burn you personally this bad?

But then he likely increased prices on snacks 30% within a week...so the big picture was still good.
1596259535890.jpeg

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Early 90’s...

That was the peak of construction in wdw. Eisner/wells from 86 to roughly 97 really made the place what it is now. Just as important as the phase 1 of the old guard.

Iger inherited 90% of that...but is often given credit by the less attuned as having built it.

He’s built timeshares...and a couple of new stops on the pathways in the parks...if we’re accurate.
People may not like all the Iger era work, but New Fantasyland, Pandora, Toy Story Land, SWGE, and Cars Land / the transformation of DCA are not small endeavors. Especially compared to the last 5 years of Eisner and first 5 years of Iger. The parks are distinctively Iger/Chapek era parks now.

TrojanUSC

People may not like all the Iger era work, but New Fantasyland, Pandora, Toy Story Land, SWGE, and Cars Land / the transformation of DCA are not small endeavors. Especially compared to the last 5 years of Eisner and first 5 years of Iger. The parks are distinctively Iger/Chapek era parks now.

New Fantasyland and TSL are literally the bare minimum. DCA, Carsland and SWGE are not small endeavors.

Last edited:

Ldno

We were able to get ours on Amazon, and sold by Amazon, miraculously, but we think it's a gray market unit. It shipped from a warehouse right on the border with Mexico and it had a lot of Spanish language documentation included.

But whatever, it works and that's what I care about.

I want one, and they are impossible to get. Like more impossible than the original NES Classic.
Another side effect of the pandemic is delayed service Centers, say the grey unit you bought has an issue, Nintendo’s repair centers have been closed since March and I need to fix up 2 switches, who knows when will they open back up at this rate TBH. Limited workers and the normal stuff of doing things is finally getting to me. Priority Shipping which used to take 2-3 days has been taking up a week max, I have a package in transit that’s “lost” somewhere in A distribution center and they are using the generic COVID excuse and won’t even try to look for it because of said reasons...

esskay

Clearly these people didn't pay any attention to the Post 9/11 Crowds of 2002-2005.

Things will not even begin to return to some sense of normal until this public health emergency ends.
Even 2002 wasn't even close to as quiet as this. Funninly enough I watched our home video from 2002 a week or two back, it was obviously nowhere near as busy as the parks were up until covid but you still had long queues and crowds.

Lilofan

Yeah, but I'm sure alot of that is the lack of inventory in the supply chain. Plant shutdowns, slowdowns, etc. Things like appliances people 'need' so while they slow down, they don't go cold turkey (like say... a vegas vacation). But big big dollar items.. like pools, etc - people don't need, they could easily put off. Yet, those industries are going bonkers. It's pretty wild.
America is a slaves to debt, you can't take it with you mindset. That's why some even I know have no retirement savings or plan to, and complain they can't get ahead.

Last edited:

AEfx

First, obligitory "OMG it's @PhotoDave219 ! @mkt ! @ParentsOf4 !" - it kind of feels like Old Home Week. Or, more accurately, it feels like one of those milestone times when you only see certain people - the whole "we only see each other at weddings and funerals these days," and let's face it...this ain't a wedding.

Yeah - but the economy is interconnected. Where people would expect jobs to be shed.. aren't the only areas.. because while someone says "oh the waiter at the restaurant is sure to lose his work..." - this trickles way way back up the chain as all the companies that sell products to that restaurant are impacted, etc. Suddenly you have a Sales VP at a telecomms company sweating because it is not that his company is shutdown, it's the whole web of industry that is slowed that works its way back to them.

The drop in demand across the board is the real killer. Disney Parks and places like vegas are hyper exposed because they are so narrowly defined. When the travel engine shuts down... it's like someone sucking all the air out of the room.

Until the airline industry gets back to a healthy upward trend... I see Disney staying in deep doodoo.

There were probably 30+ posts in this thread that I wanted to reply while reading the entire thing, but this one above speaks as close to anything to the reality of this situation, and this is the first chance I have had. When I read some of these posts thinking that pretty much anything is going back to normal any time even remotely soon is in the "denial" mode of acceptance.

The thought that "oh, Disney is just slow because people don't want to wear masks" idea is...preposterous. Those masks are the only reason they are even allowed to open.

There seems to be some, er, regional differences in what folks are reporting here. So for the record, I'm in the north east (New England) - which, unless something has changed, is pretty much Disney's top market (and I believe someone else verified this a few pages ago).

What I can tell you, we are still taking this very seriously here. Sure, there is the odd crazy "oh this is all overblown!" bracket, but masks are still a fact of life. Just grocery shopping is still a major event - and we still are having hit and miss days in what is stocked (lately, you can find toilet paper OR paper towels, but for some reason, almost no matter where you rarely find both, and if they do, it's just one or two brands). An exceptional trip out would be to actually sit down at an outdoor restaurant, where everyone including staff is masked unless you are sitting at a table.

With all this going on - if you looked at most people and said, "You know what, I'm going to Disney World!" they would look at you like you were insane. Florida is in the running for hot spot of the world, and going to such a notoriously public place as a theme park, Walt Disney World, of all places. I mean, they utterly wouldn't believe you and would think you were joking.

Even best case scenario, even if some miracle vaccine gets released, sure, more people would come - but there are a lot of people who still wouldn't even consider coming for years, even then. There is also so much we still do not know, as well - sure, you might not die if you get it, but we are just finding out that even those that recover have lasting effects and we have no idea which of them may turn out to be long-term. Many people are not willing to risk this, particularly for something as frivolous as Disney.

Now, that part aside - I also don't think everyone understands economically what is going on right now (back to the post I quoted above). The trickle-up, side-ways, every-ways, economic losses are just beginning. The economy is like a giant set of dominoes, going off in all directions. It happened very quickly to certain industries (travel, entertainment, restaurants) but the true economic loss (and job loss) is just really beginning, especially because it looks like this is all (lockdowns, etc.) are going to be happening all over again in many places as we turn to fall.

Many of the small and even medium businesses that depend on foot traffic that have managed to survive to this point have been able to do so because of things like the PPP which allowed them to keep employees during the initial shutdown. That is over now, and business for many has not come back. They just squeaked through a few months with help, because everyone thought it was going to be over and done with and we'd be "back to normal" by now. What is happening is close to what people are describing is happening even at WDW - they blew through a lot of cash keeping people employed, admirably, but inadvertently those employees would have done a lot better and would be better off now if they had just been laid off to begin with as government benefits are (as of now) expired.

There is going to be a lot more job loss, a lot more businesses closing, and a lot more unemployed people, especially in any industry related to travel in any way, even tangentially. Business/convention travel is DEAD. DEAD as a doornail. And, *not* just because as COVID - it will not recover in any where near real form, most likely. Like many things, COVID has greatly accelerated what was already happening.

After the '08 economic crisis, people thought the same thing - that virtual meetings would take over, etc. It didn't happen, mostly because even then, technology wasn't that great. Devices weren't as ubiquitous (the iPhone had just been released, for reference). But the lockdowns FORCED people to quickly adapt, and a dozen years later - we are so much more connected and the technology is a lot better. Corporations around the world are realizing they don't need to spend millions of dollars a year shuttling people around on business trips when most of them were just for "face time". The days of being sent to a week-long conference in Vegas or Orlando for...pretty much anything, are over.

Of course, this all ties in to the tourist industry - everywhere - because most places (even Orlando) who have a large tourist industry also depend on business travel/conventions as part of their backbone due to the infrastructure/etc. Even if the tourist industry came back full-swing, the losses are enormous. Sure, Disney will somehow cope - but the rest of Orlando? Everyone from the off-site hotels, car services, restaurants, stores - the economic impact is just beginning. And this is happening in so many places in so many ways right now, to any town/city that is travel/tourism based (and that's a lot more than you think).

I've read here people talking about Vegas, and back to New England where I am the story is similar- all the coastal resort towns are being decimated. As I described above, many were able to make it into July because of various assistance or simply being able to weather the storm, holding out that they could rescue the summer. It isn't happening. The ultra-wealthy (the 1%) who own expensive property are here (most flying privately), but they are holed up in their estates and aren't out spending money locally except perhaps grocery delivery.

The other people who are here...aren't spending money. In one of the Vegas posts it was described best as the type of people who rent a cheap hotel, buy a bottle of booze from Walgreens, and then just hang around not spending money. It's just that the ones up here are from New York, and not California. The "normal" middle and upper class visitors who do spend money, who stay at nice places, who eat at nice restaurants every day, who use local services like taxis and such - the ones the majority of the money comes from - simply are not here. And given that most businesses in towns like these up and down the coast depends on these 12 - 16 weeks a year to be able to stay open through the winter...yeah, the economic impact is going to continue, and much of this business is not coming back, for at least a very long time.

EPCOT-O.G.

First, obligitory "OMG it's @PhotoDave219 ! @mkt ! @ParentsOf4 !" - it kind of feels like Old Home Week. Or, more accurately, it feels like one of those milestone times when you only see certain people - the whole "we only see each other at weddings and funerals these days," and let's face it...this ain't a wedding.

There were probably 30+ posts in this thread that I wanted to reply while reading the entire thing, but this one above speaks as close to anything to the reality of this situation, and this is the first chance I have had. When I read some of these posts thinking that pretty much anything is going back to normal any time even remotely soon is in the "denial" mode of acceptance.

The thought that "oh, Disney is just slow because people don't want to wear masks" idea is...preposterous. Those masks are the only reason they are even allowed to open.

There seems to be some, er, regional differences in what folks are reporting here. So for the record, I'm in the north east (New England) - which, unless something has changed, is pretty much Disney's top market (and I believe someone else verified this a few pages ago).

What I can tell you, we are still taking this very seriously here. Sure, there is the odd crazy "oh this is all overblown!" bracket, but masks are still a fact of life. Just grocery shopping is still a major event - and we still are having hit and miss days in what is stocked (lately, you can find toilet paper OR paper towels, but for some reason, almost no matter where you rarely find both, and if they do, it's just one or two brands). An exceptional trip out would be to actually sit down at an outdoor restaurant, where everyone including staff is masked unless you are sitting at a table.

With all this going on - if you looked at most people and said, "You know what, I'm going to Disney World!" they would look at you like you were insane. Florida is in the running for hot spot of the world, and going to such a notoriously public place as a theme park, Walt Disney World, of all places. I mean, they utterly wouldn't believe you and would think you were joking.

Even best case scenario, even if some miracle vaccine gets released, sure, more people would come - but there are a lot of people who still wouldn't even consider coming for years, even then. There is also so much we still do not know, as well - sure, you might not die if you get it, but we are just finding out that even those that recover have lasting effects and we have no idea which of them may turn out to be long-term. Many people are not willing to risk this, particularly for something as frivolous as Disney.

Now, that part aside - I also don't think everyone understands economically what is going on right now (back to the post I quoted above). The trickle-up, side-ways, every-ways, economic losses are just beginning. The economy is like a giant set of dominoes, going off in all directions. It happened very quickly to certain industries (travel, entertainment, restaurants) but the true economic loss (and job loss) is just really beginning, especially because it looks like this is all (lockdowns, etc.) are going to be happening all over again in many places as we turn to fall.

Many of the small and even medium businesses that depend on foot traffic that have managed to survive to this point have been able to do so because of things like the PPP which allowed them to keep employees during the initial shutdown. That is over now, and business for many has not come back. They just squeaked through a few months with help, because everyone thought it was going to be over and done with and we'd be "back to normal" by now. What is happening is close to what people are describing is happening even at WDW - they blew through a lot of cash keeping people employed, admirably, but inadvertently those employees would have done a lot better and would be better off now if they had just been laid off to begin with as government benefits are (as of now) expired.

There is going to be a lot more job loss, a lot more businesses closing, and a lot more unemployed people, especially in any industry related to travel in any way, even tangentially. Business/convention travel is DEAD. DEAD as a doornail. And, *not* just because as COVID - it will not recover in any where near real form, most likely. Like many things, COVID has greatly accelerated what was already happening.

After the '08 economic crisis, people thought the same thing - that virtual meetings would take over, etc. It didn't happen, mostly because even then, technology wasn't that great. Devices weren't as ubiquitous (the iPhone had just been released, for reference). But the lockdowns FORCED people to quickly adapt, and a dozen years later - we are so much more connected and the technology is a lot better. Corporations around the world are realizing they don't need to spend millions of dollars a year shuttling people around on business trips when most of them were just for "face time". The days of being sent to a week-long conference in Vegas or Orlando for...pretty much anything, are over.

Of course, this all ties in to the tourist industry - everywhere - because most places (even Orlando) who have a large tourist industry also depend on business travel/conventions as part of their backbone due to the infrastructure/etc. Even if the tourist industry came back full-swing, the losses are enormous. Sure, Disney will somehow cope - but the rest of Orlando? Everyone from the off-site hotels, car services, restaurants, stores - the economic impact is just beginning. And this is happening in so many places in so many ways right now, to any town/city that is travel/tourism based (and that's a lot more than you think).

I've read here people talking about Vegas, and back to New England where I am the story is similar- all the coastal resort towns are being decimated. As I described above, many were able to make it into July because of various assistance or simply being able to weather the storm, holding out that they could rescue the summer. It isn't happening. The ultra-wealthy (the 1%) who own expensive property are here (most flying privately), but they are holed up in their estates and aren't out spending money locally except perhaps grocery delivery.

The other people who are here...aren't spending money. In one of the Vegas posts it was described best as the type of people who rent a cheap hotel, buy a bottle of booze from Walgreens, and then just hang around not spending money. It's just that the ones up here are from New York, and not California. The "normal" middle and upper class visitors who do spend money, who stay at nice places, who eat at nice restaurants every day, who use local services like taxis and such - the ones the majority of the money comes from - simply are not here. And given that most businesses in towns like these up and down the coast depends on these 12 - 16 weeks a year to be able to stay open through the winter...yeah, the economic impact is going to continue, and much of this business is not coming back, for at least a very long time.
this is a great and cogent post on the realities we face. As for Disney in particular, let’s not forget they are heavily dependent on cruise traffic and movie going experience. What do movie theaters look like in a post-pandemic world? Do they continue to exist? How many cruise boats does Disney have under construction? Virtually every sector of their company is uniquely affected not only by the lengthy pandemic (which makes parks, cruises, movie going experiences a non-starter) but economically luxury experiences for many. Even if a vaccine comes tomorrow, the long term economic effects will be about 2x to 3x worse than 9/11.

Heppenheimer

Did not age well because Disney put nothing into ------SAD
The attractions were too heavily built around the state of technology in the late 70s and early 80s. This was a strength at the time, because it wasn't done on the cheap (well, at least Future World wasn't) and it really grabbed your imagination on the possibilities of the future.

But then the same problem that Tomorrowland has always faced hit Epcot. The actual future started to arrive and it gradually began to displace the limited time perspective under which Epcot was built. And the very fact that the attractions weren't cheaply built made them more difficult to gradually update. I know some people on this website love Horizons, but it could not have possibly felt more outdated by the early 90s. Not necessarily because the visions of the ride had become reality, but because our collective visions and desires of the future had shifted since the ride opened.

Also, other than some of us looking back with nostalgia, the audience for the kind of ersatz World's Fair that underlies the vision of Epcot just isn't there anymore. When was the last time an actual World's Fair grabbed the public's imagination? Look at the debacle that was London's Millenium Dome, for example. I didn't even know these events still occurred until I looked up the topic on Wikipedia (although they apparently call them "Expos" now). Even during Epcot's glory days, I remember plenty of people complaining that it was "too educational". We're obsessed with princesses, space wizards and Ubermenschen in spandex costumes these days. There is no way the original educational focus would be a hit with today's visitors, unless you saturated it to the bursting point with IP.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom