News Carousel of Progress Closed

JohnD

Original Poster
According to Inside the Magic, now Carousel of Progress is now closed. Could be maintenance. Those AAs malfunction frequently. If its for another reason, it wouldn't surprise me if it's for COVID. Even if people are spread out, you're in a rotating theatre and have to stay in your seat until the show is over.

https:///2020/07/carousel-of-progre...ail&utm_term=0_a98380eccc-2b31adc6a1-88910963

jt04

According to Inside the Magic, now Carousel of Progress is now closed. Could be maintenance. Those AAs malfunction frequently. If its for another reason, it wouldn't surprise me if it's for COVID. Even if people are spread out, you're in a rotating theatre and have to stay in your seat until the show is over.

https:///2020/07/carousel-of-progre...ail&utm_term=0_a98380eccc-2b31adc6a1-88910963

Saw some recent footage and it was really bad show. Scrims looked hideous. Guessing it gets made shiny through the 50th celebrations then all bets are off.

MickeyMouse10

Maybe they plan to replace them with animatronics that look like the Modern Family cast. With every color of the rainbow and more handicapped versions.

.... by the way before I get comments like "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT." in all caps and "That wouldn't be historically accurate based on the time it takes place." I'm joking... it may not be a good joke, but it's a joke nonetheless.

DisneyDebRob

Is splash back up and operating? With the people mover down, now CoP.. if splash is down, it’s not looking good in the MK.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I hope its just finally getting some love.
It was on a the chopping block back in the early 2000's but petitions helped save it.
In the past few years every time I see it its a pretty full theater (Sometimes we hang back for the next one because I like being front and just off center right because I can see the best there).

Magic Feather

Carousel has been having a lot of issues lately. Some scenes haven’t had any in theater audio (the background music that plays in the seating area) since the reopening. Lots of other audio issues and mechanical effects not working too. I’m assuming something finally went down that was big enough to bring the ride down to fix.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe they plan to replace them with animatronics that look like the Modern Family cast. With every color of the rainbow and more handicapped versions.

.... by the way before I get comments like "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT." in all caps and "That wouldn't be historically accurate based on the time it takes place." I'm joking... it may not be a good joke, but it's a joke nonetheless.
Why would they put a dime into something that’s been on the chopping block for years and nobody goes to?
Is splash back up and operating? With the people mover down, now CoP.. if splash is down, it’s not looking good in the MK.
They’ve been neglecting ride systems for two decades...nothing is gonna change.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Why would they put a dime into something that’s been on the chopping block for years and nobody goes to?

It WAS on the chopping block.
It hasn't been on the seasonal list for YEARS.
Every time I have gone on since about 2012 its been a 2/3 full theater and is actually difficult to get in the first or second row.
Like I mentioned in my previous post I usually hang back to be first in line for the next theater just so I can sit where I want.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It WAS on the chopping block.
It hasn't been on the seasonal list for YEARS.
Every time I have gone on since about 2012 its been a 2/3 full theater and is actually difficult to get in the first or second row.
Like I mentioned in my previous post I usually hang back to be first in line for the next theater just so I can sit where I want.
I like COP...to be clear

But nothing about the current management or this current developing recession would indicate spending on it in any significant sense is plausible.

Hell...they wouldn’t replace the track at space and that DOES get people into the park.

I just don’t see COP lasting past the next generation roll over.

MickeyMouse10

They’ve been neglecting ride systems for two decades...nothing is gonna change.

How dare you sir! It is a very important attraction, that Walt had his hands in... on and near.

If they do replace it though they'll say "Walt never liked Carousel of Progress. He thought we should only do rides based on IP's".

Expo_Seeker40

The CoP is my most sentimental soft spot for WDW. The premise isn't bad, nor is the unique rotating theater. It just needs some damn help!

This is the second oldest attraction at WDW (after Cinderella's Golden Carousel) and only attraction at WDW directly touched by Walt and only Disney attraction to move twice and be at three different places. It is history. It can be fun and it can work.

Let's go with the assumption no one knows what the ride is. The small queue videos (from the 90s!) aren't the most attention grabbing.

I still stand by a 25 minute show.

1.) The load theater becomes both load and unload. Guests enter on the left and exit out the right.
2.) Instead of a curtain and logo, it's a soft orchestral opening with a digitized version of the Kaleidophonic screens from the world's fair and Disneyland. It transitions into a rundown of the ride, it's history, tie to Walt, his love of history and future, and that the ride will follow through the era in which Walt lived and then we'll see a glimpse into the future.

3.) Acts 1-3 are reasonably revised back to what they were at the world's fair and Disneyland. (Some crass lines about Mother ironing all the time may likely go)

4.) Act 4 is made to look like it did at the fair or Disneyland.

5.) Despite having a shorter stage, the unload theater becomes bonus act 5. This scene can always be updated and any time a new cast is hired to read from a script, they can read from the set-in-stone script for acts 1-4.

TrainsOfDisney

Merging of a couple of ideas... they should have moved Carousel show scenes into one of the innoventions buildings complete with the model of Epcot that you see from the people mover. Make it a walk through attraction. Do an emotional “Walt always loved the future and that’s why your in Epcot today”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom