On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Pushing, moving, hustling.... figures of speech. I did not infer that Disney was forcing this merch on anyone. The hogs were fighting at the feeding trough.

There was an order from the top over merch. It was supposed to be yanked from the parks. I know they did remove the attraction poster and associated artwork from some of their services. The park side merch was supposed to be pulled as it is seen by the top office as "bad for the brand."

The park did not care. They saw a bunch of marks from eBay and they got hustled for every dime they had.
I think you are being a bit biased as if you have an axe to grind with some of the higher ups at Disney on a personal level. Once they announced they were going to close Splash as we know it at both US parks, any Splash merch was going to be in high demand so the ebay sellers were going to come no matter what. I can't see someone higher up demanding ANY merchandise that can be sold during these 'on the verge of bankruptcy' times be pulled. Disney is what I like to call as Passive Progressive where they want to appear "woke" (splash re-theme announcement) but lets be honest they have nooo problem selling merch from Splash whether it be plushies or commemorative final day shirts or what not. I can't see them turing down a quick buck. They consider the ride unfit for future generations but they can't wait to cash in from those "good bye Splash" merch sales.

Last edited:

Ldno

Global issues lead to global meltdowns, usually you can narrow and say oh Hey sure the US is a problem but not this time, tourism and face to face contact is being re written just as airport security checks after 9/11, sad to say i don’t see things going back to normal, can you imagine the celebrations tion that would ensue of people posting videos burning up their masks and finally opening up both doors at your local walmarts? lol

MrPromey

My complaint was the food was terrible. Disneys food for all its criticisms is diverse and can range from not bad to pretty damn good. I cant think of anything terrible except for Pizzarizzo. BG and SeaWorld, however, were pretty gross. Even Universal lags way behind Disney in the food department.

We'll have to agree to disagree about the quality of food at WDW.

Also, you're horribly wrong. ;)

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

The people that say the food is bad at Disney all have the same thing in common - they ate at Cosmic Ray's and other equivalent generic quick service options and never tried anything better.

Ok, yes, some of the full service restaurants are also bad, but most are fine, and many are excellent.

Lilofan

On how much the NBA is subsidizing WDW ops, the bill Disney is presenting is about $1.5 million a day. That's...... not a lot of money.

It could be argued that Bob Iger is using company resources to broker money losing deals with the NBA. The bet is Disney will make the losses back in TV ad revenue. The odds on that much cash coming in..... not good. Won't be the first time Disney lost a bunch of money on the NBA in Orlando.

For certain: Bob Iger's "friendship" with Adam Silver will continue to be cultivated.
NBA Experience is a money loser for Disney and it still barely operates. Iger rarely comes to a grand opening except for like an opening on a theme park however he personally cane to the grand opening of the NBA Experience at Disney Springs to be with his friend Adam Silver.

Lilofan

I make a yearly pilgrimage to Cedar Point from Florida it’s one of my favorite places to be. Except this year unfortunately :confused: The countryside there is beautiful and Ohio gets a negative “corn patches only lolz” reputation when in fact the state is quite geographically diverse from rolling plains to rugged hills to Appalachia to large forests to fun rivers
I don't know much about Cedar Point or even what state is it in until recently. The name sounded like a retirement community. What type of hotels are there near Cedar Point? Like a Motel 6 or Econolodge?

DVCakaCarlF

I was shocked when they reopened Epcot. Shocked. You can look at my post history where I incorrectly predicted Epcot would remain closed for the next year. Bringing that park back online was utter madness. It is in terrible shape, and COVID has nerfed the nightlife and other cool experiences. The glue holding Epcot afloat vanished. Right now Epcot is only cannibalizing the other parks.

A couple businesses that might be helping Walt Disney World right now...
Annual Passes) From Disney’s Annual Report:
Deferred revenue primarily relates to non-refundable consideration received in advance for (i) licensing contracts and theme park vacation packages, tickets and annual passes and (ii) the deferral of advertising revenues due to ratings shortfalls. The increase in the deferred revenue balance at September 28, 2019 was primarily due to the receipt of additional prepaid park admissions, advances on certain licensing arrangements and non-refundable travel deposits, as well as the acquisition of TFCF and consolidation of Hulu (see Note 4).

Basically, when we buy tickets from Disney, they don’t count the money immediately as revenue. Instead, it goes into a bank account where it is saved. Then, as Disney keeps the park open, quarter by quarter more of the deferred revenue is unlocked or counted as revenue. When Walt Disney World closed, it likely was no longer able to recognize passholder revenue. But with the reopening, Walt Disney World could start taking money from the pot again. No one even needs to show up and Disney still could make revenue. The deferred revenue wouldn’t be huge, but it could be a hundred million+. Does anyone know how large Florida’s annual passholder business is? Items like total APs and average ticket price of APs would be helpful.

DVC) Disney doesn’t care if DVC rooms are booked. Disney should still be able to charge DVC members their management fees with or without occupancy. As long as Disney is maintaining and operating the resort, Disney should receive its check. Reopening right now might be a no brainer. DVC members with access to contracts would know for sure.

Variable Profit) Disney could be making money and losing it at the same time. Some costs are fixed (like security, depreciation, maintenance, etc). Other costs are variable (like cast member salaries, electricity, etc.). Disney might be making a variable profit, or in other words, they are covering the costs of staying open. Another way of thinking about this is figuring out the way to lose the least amount of money possible. This is a profit but not an actual profit like we would think of intuitively. Disney might also be cash flow positive (profit before accounting for depreciation). That would be good news on the liquidity front and is plausible (depreciation per quarter will be $500+ million).

NBA) Hopefully WDW is being well compensated!

It all does seem suspect though. If Walt Disney World is making an operating profit I will be impressed. It just seems hard to believe. So to boil it down, Walt Disney World is:
1) Making a variable profit. This means it’s making more money than it would by staying closed.
2) Walt Disney World is cash flow positive. This means Disney World is making enough money to pay its immediate bills, but not enough to offset previous investments. This would be great, because Disney would be able to save liquidity.
3) It makes a real operating profit. That would be crazy good news. This will be a stretch IMO.
Yes, this is called Accounting 101...talk to me when you get to 309 or 404.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I don't know much about Cedar Point or even what state is it in until recently. The name sounded like a retirement community. What type of hotels are there near Cedar Point? Like a Motel 6 or Econolodge?

It's quite a mix... Cedar Point has several on property hotels, but just off the peninsula you can find just a wider range range of chain hotels and motels ranging from absolute dumps to respectably nice hotels. (No Marriott's or Hilton's, but Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers is quite nice)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom