Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

havoc315

Short post for today...

216 newly reported deaths in Florida. Just about 3 weeks ago, I was being told in this very thread, "Florida has no problem, the deaths are barely rising from 30 per day"

There is evidence of a plateau in Florida now, though we aren't exactly seeing a quick decline. Appears there is now enough prevention and mitigation in place (mandatory and voluntary) to start to flatten things, maybe even start a slow decline.

At this juncture, I don't know if closing Disney parks would even change things much. People are barely attending anyway (lots of voluntary mitigation). But one must ask.. not specifically about Disney theme parks, but the state as a whole -- How many of the 216 deaths reported today would have been avoided if Florida hadn't rushed to re-open? If masking was taken seriously 3 months ago?

Nationwide, today we will likely pass France in per capita deaths. We are still a way off from passing Italy.. but it's quite possible that we surpass Italy in another 4-8 weeks. And just a few months ago, people here were condemning Italy and swearing it would never get that bad here.

Meanwhile, I note swirling rumors that demand for Disney is so low, lower than even the restricted capacity, that Disney might be forced to slow down their own re-opening. Already starting to see it, with announced delays in the opening of some resorts.

But there is a lesson there: Business will not operate normally through a raging pandemic. Putting on blinders, downplaying the pandemic, in order to promote the economy -- it just doesn't work.
Want Disney and other Florida businesses to thrive?? You have to get the pandemic under control FIRST, you need people to have confidence they will be safe.

oceanbreeze77

A lot of professionals agree, we need a full shutdown. I get it that we can't keep things closed forever, but I truly believe that if we did a hard shutdown for a month or 2, we could have our economy going again by the holidays. I know a lot of people dont want this, and its not that I WANT it, but we may have to do something this drastic to defeat the virus.

kong1802

Short post for today...

216 newly reported deaths in Florida. Just about 3 weeks ago, I was being told in this very thread, "Florida has no problem, the deaths are barely rising from 30 per day"

There is evidence of a plateau in Florida now, though we aren't exactly seeing a quick decline. Appears there is now enough prevention and mitigation in place (mandatory and voluntary) to start to flatten things, maybe even start a slow decline.

At this juncture, I don't know if closing Disney parks would even change things much. People are barely attending anyway (lots of voluntary mitigation). But one must ask.. not specifically about Disney theme parks, but the state as a whole -- How many of the 216 deaths reported today would have been avoided if Florida hadn't rushed to re-open? If masking was taken seriously 3 months ago?

Nationwide, today we will likely pass France in per capita deaths. We are still a way off from passing Italy.. but it's quite possible that we surpass Italy in another 4-8 weeks. And just a few months ago, people here were condemning Italy and swearing it would never get that bad here.

Meanwhile, I note swirling rumors that demand for Disney is so low, lower than even the restricted capacity, that Disney might be forced to slow down their own re-opening. Already starting to see it, with announced delays in the opening of some resorts.

But there is a lesson there: Business will not operate normally through a raging pandemic. Putting on blinders, downplaying the pandemic, in order to promote the economy -- it just doesn't work.
Want Disney and other Florida businesses to thrive?? You have to get the pandemic under control FIRST, you need people to have confidence they will be safe.

Spot on.

That's what the whole, "we can't hurt the economy by having shutdowns" argument missed so badly.

There is no economy with a raging pandemic going on.

You either have a rough go of the economy for at least a year with unnecessary deaths or you take it seriously on the front end and have less deaths and a shortened economic disruption.

Too bad they wouldn't listen.

Bob Harlem

Spot on.

That's what the whole, "we can't hurt the economy by having shutdowns" argument missed so badly.

There is no economy with a raging pandemic going on.

You either have a rough go of the economy for at least a year with unnecessary deaths or you take it seriously on the front end and have less deaths and a shortened economic disruption.

Too bad they wouldn't listen.

No guarantee it works that way, though, even if you did. I think reopening smartly is the only reasonable choice.

milordsloth

A lot of professionals agree, we need a full shutdown. I get it that we can't keep things closed forever, but I truly believe that if we did a hard shutdown for a month or 2, we could have our economy going again by the holidays. I know a lot of people dont want this, and its not that I WANT it, but we may have to do something this drastic to defeat the virus.

For a full shutdown to work, we would need all inter-state travel to completely stop. People would need to actually stay around the immediate area of their home. To be successful this would need also need to be enforced. So, track locations of all citizens and auto-alert authorities when someone is more than a mile from home? Anything less than that would just be a repeat of what we all went through during the first shutdown.

The solution in my mind leans more to a federal mask mandate and a change in public perception towards acceptance of the "new normal" (masks and physical distancing).

Last edited by a moderator:

rio

For a full shutdown to work, we would need all inter-state travel to completely stop. People would need to actually stay around the immediate area of their home. To be successful this would need also need to be enforced. So, track locations of all citizens and auto-alert authorities when someone is more than a mile from home? I can imagine other countries doing something like this, but not here in the good ol' USA. Anything less than that would just be a repeat of what we all went through during the first shutdown.

The solution in my mind leans more to a federal mask mandate and a change in public perception towards acceptance of the "new normal" (masks and physical distancing).

Interstate travel doesn't need to stop. Upstate NY has cities 5.5+ hours away from NYC, and had community spread from NYC when NYC got nailed. The lockdowns came just in time to spare upstate what happened in the city, and as a whole is doing ok. Point being, as long as the states with the problem can get it under control in the first place, the situation can be managed. Interstate travel doesn't need to stop - people just need to step up.

ToTBellHop

83304FF0-827E-4154-B504-FBEA5704F8EA.jpeg

From UCF today.

chrisvee

Premium Member
Considering they were not out at all in Phila except for the hotel and to the ballpark. Considering the hotel has had zero cases. Considering the Phillies team has zero cases. A good guess would seem to be that it was there night out, at a club, in a city that’s rising in cases.
seems most likely based on what the rumor mill is saying about a night out in Atlanta

Phillies only have one positive case thus far and that’s a visiting clubhouse staffer so at least right now looking like Marlins brought it with them

and now Phillies have had the Marlins series, the next with Yankees, and now the first game with the Toronto Blue Jays postponed.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom