On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Sir_Cliff

It’s not quarantine- flights are grounded, effectively banning us leaving and we are banned from entering the US.

Consensus over here is that nothing will change hugely this year.
Even the opening up of travel within Europe where numbers were relatively under control is starting to get wound back here and there as flare-ups occur.

I'm currently in Sicily on holiday, and I have the feeling I best make the most of it as the experiment of opening up tourism amidst a pandemic may draw to a close fairly quickly. The idea of jetting off to the US for a relaxing vacation seems almost like science fiction right now.

WDW specifically has also taken quite a hit to its image due to international media coverage using it as the quintessential representation of Florida's status as a COVID hotspot.

Last edited:

Mouse Trap

So two movies maybe and a Netflix series might sometime in the future.

Yep, that's dead.

You can frame "dead" all you want to fit your narrative, but truly dead was April/May when I could count active productions across the country on one hand.

Those are only films that I personally have confirmation are active at Pinewood/Black Hall. A quick Google search and you'll find dozens more active across Georgia, not to mention the rest of the US and the world. If we want to stretch the conversation into October then we can add another dozen going live just at Pinewood alone.

But you should know this, no?

No point in arguing though. We all know production isn't magically going to resume to 2019 levels by EOY, but they sure as heck are speeding up. There's plenty of content being made -- including for D+ where any additions are a boost.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

Well, this is a HELL of a great thread. (And I mean "HELL" in a good way. ;) ).

What have I been saying about Iger all these years? He's an oblivious cement-head who has no feel or passion for Disney's legacy. All he cares about is money and power. Which, incidentally, is what motivates far too many politicians, I'll admit. But just let the fool try to run for office. What a beating he'll get, and deservedly. As they say, get woke, go broke, plus spending too much money on the wrong things doesn't help either (buying up companies and franchises the company never needed, a bad practice started by Eisner, by the way). I hate to see Walt's company suffer because of Iger, but if a purge leads to a cure, then by all means, purge away! I hope the people making crappy company decisions (shoehorning Frozen into Norway, cutting corners on rides, firing people/making ride changes due to wokeness, NOT FIXING THE DAMN YETI) get tossed out first.

Here's hoping, anyway. And welcome back to all the insiders! You were always a good read. Thanks for the courage you display by informing the rest of us. You're a large part of why WDW Magic is the best Disney site on the web. Hosannah! L'Chiam! Live forever!

WDW Pro

You can frame "dead" all you want to fit your narrative, but truly dead was April/May when I could count active productions across the country on one hand.

Those are only films that I personally have confirmation are active at Pinewood/Black Hall. A quick Google search and you'll find dozens more active across Georgia, not to mention the rest of the US and the world. If we want to stretch the conversation into October then we can add another dozen going live just at Pinewood alone.

But you should know this, no?

No point in arguing though. We all know production isn't magically going to resume to 2019 levels by EOY, but they sure as heck are speeding up. There's plenty of content being made -- including for D+ where any additions are a boost.

I'm sorry, but there just aren't very many active productions anywhere. I don't know where you're getting your info, but most live action productions are stuck in pre-shoot activities. To give you some understanding, there's not a single network sitcom or drama currently filming. Not one.

disneygeek90

I'm sorry, but there just aren't very many active productions anywhere. I don't know where you're getting your info, but most live action productions are stuck in pre-shoot activities. To give you some understanding, there's not a single network sitcom or drama currently filming. Not one.
Some cable TV shows have restarted filming, but from what I understand it's shows that already film in Canada where things are obviously more under control.

MrHappy

How can anyone, Disney included, have not expected that this year would be different than how it has unfolded. Wouldn’t they have planned and budgeted accordingly for the remainder of 2020 to be one long soft opening essentially? Basically, flip the lights on and wait it out. We talk about low attendance like the sky is falling. If Disney wanted, they can increase the self imposed capacities, run promos, increase entertainment/experiences, reimplement a version of park hopping (maybe as long as you have an ADR you can go to that other park 2 hrs before).

Lilofan

Perhaps Iger or even Eisner might be up for the Disney Legends award? The criteria is not that hard to win. Even Johnny Depp and Robert Downey Jr with their very well known checkered past and criminal records and they still won the awards.

csmat99

The global economic depression we are entering will send Orlando tourism volume crashing back to the early 90s. I think the entire region did like 40 mil a year back then? Good luck spreading that around all the new stuff that's opened since.

I can't wait and I for one look forward to $99 rooms at the Wilderness Lodge.
Since I turn 50 month to the day after WDW, I'm hoping it's back to 90's levels so I can actually enjoy the park again and not have to wake up months in advance praying I get my FPs and dining reservations I want.

Lilofan

Since I turn 50 month to the day after WDW, I'm hoping it's back to 90's levels so I can actually enjoy the park again and not have to wake up months in advance praying I get my FPs and dining reservations I want.
Back in those days you need to be in shape to get the fast passes early in the day running or speedwalking from attraction to attraction to get FPs 15-20 years ago.

JBM5113

Here’s the difference: You don’t have to wear a damn mask when you go to a waterpark. The masks are the single most annoying thing that people absolutely hate for their vacations. If you get rid of the mask requirements when you are outside, everyone will come back fairly quickly. That’s why the national parks are doing such amazing numbers this year. That’s why water parks are doing well. No masks when outside.
I don’t disagree. We decided to keep our annual passes and plan to go in October and December but I hear/see a lot of people who just don’t want to deal with mask. I’m not saying these people are pro/anti mask, just don’t want the hassle. Also, I have heard several people mention they don’t want mask in their pics. Had several friends say they aren’t going simply because of that. One stated, the photographer is 6 ft away, they are outside, it shouldn’t be an issue to remove their mask, get their picture snapped and put them back on. I can see his point. Also, if it was my children’s or families first trip, that would be a huge negative not to get capture a smile.
On a side note, I appreciate this post @pheneix, I appreciate @WDW Pro posts as well. I’m just a husband/father who tries to keep up with things and appreciate the civil discussion from most of the board.

Parker in NYC

What? NJ has 2,204 cases per 100,000 people. Florida has 2051 per 100,000 people. Not too far off.

Nothing matters until someone dies. And even then, it doesn't matter. People die every day! Stop playing games with people who don't have a clue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom