Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopemax

More on antibodies, and serology studies.

Apparently, when dealing with viruses, there are different proteins that can be measured in terms of antibody response. The "N" protein and the spike protein. With COVID-19 what do we normally hear about, which one are the vaccines targeting? The spike protein. What are the 2 primary antibody tests (Roche & Abbott) looking for? The "N" protein. The "N" protein is the antibody response that might be decaying, and freaking some people out about not having long-lasting immunity. Apparently, the Mt. Sinai NYC serology study was using a different antibody test that looks for the spike protein. So spike antibody tests do exist, they just probably should be used more.

So what might this mean? For the general population, more people might actually have had the virus. Yes, really, lol, so be prepared for a return of the "everybody has had it," debates, lol. People's N antibodies might be low or decayed and register a false negative. But more importantly, the worry about losing immunity based on these antibody tests really might not mean anything, because a spike based test would show the antibody reaction is still present and strong. For viral immunity in general, the more powerful, virus busting antibodies are the spike ones, so those are the ones we really need to be looking for. To quote Indiana Jones and Salah, we need to make sure we're not "digging in the wrong place."

trainplane3

Does anyone know why Disney is being so specific on types of masks? They are the only company being so specific so I’m just curious as to the why.

I’m not judging Disney for being specific, it may be a really good thing, I’m just not sure I understand.
Because of the ridiculous garbage people are trying to pass off as face coverings, more than likely. I'm sure disney realizes that "proper" masks are the best way to avoid becoming a site of major spread.
Specifically this kind of trash that pops up occassionally:
5f08b9bf988ee34593234b64

trainplane3

Yeah, I don't see that ridiculous thingy protecting her, or anyone around her much. Just goes to show how "serious" the situation appears to some.
If I were the seller I would say this is a dressup item to wear over your standard mask but that wouldn't explain the matching lipstick.........
They're usually marketed as "breathable masks" and of course they do nothing at all. Thankfully, various online marketplaces have been nuking stores that do this but they usually get a few out before that happens. Facebook's been doing the same from what's been noticed too. I have more words I could use to describe this situation and the people doing it but I won't 🤣

ImperfectPixie

They're usually marketed as "breathable masks" and of course they do nothing at all. Thankfully, various online marketplaces have been nuking stores that do this but they usually get a few out before that happens. Facebook's been doing the same from what's been noticed too. I have more words I could use to describe this situation and the people doing it but I won't 🤣
I just sent that specific shop-owner a pretty scathing message about those masks.

oceanbreeze77

JoeCamel

I believe Disney is one of the more ethical businesses out there. It makes decisions on what it believes is right, even if the majority of people disagree, complain and even threaten to stop going. We've seen evidence of that recently.
Disney makes decisions on what is best for their vision of the business. They don't listen to the fan community for the most part but if people stop showing up they will make changes to their operation. I don't think any special emphasis on ethics is in the corporate plan but they do want to sell the "family friendly" message so they have to play nice.
Many of the frontline CM's in the swamp would question if TDO pays an "ethical" wage.

ImperfectPixie

Disney makes decisions on what is best for their vision of the business. They don't listen to the fan community for the most part but if people stop showing up they will make changes to their operation. I don't think any special emphasis on ethics is in the corporate plan but they do want to sell the "family friendly" message so they have to play nice.
Many of the frontline CM's in the swamp would question if TDO pays an "ethical" wage.
Thank you...I was trying to think of a nice way to say they look out for their best interests and if that happens to look ethical, it's even better for them.

Patcheslee

So my double layered neck gaiter with ear loops is or is not acceptable? I wanted the neck gaiter design so it is easier to remove for eating or drinking, remember to put back on, and don't have to sit on tables or put in my pocket. So bought the single layered ones with ear loops and altered slightly by doubling the fabric over and stitched into place.

G00fyDad

So my double layered neck gaiter with ear loops is or is not acceptable? I wanted the neck gaiter design so it is easier to remove for eating or drinking, remember to put back on, and don't have to sit on tables or put in my pocket. So bought the single layered ones with ear loops and altered slightly by doubling the fabric over and stitched into place.

A neck gaiter is still a neck gaiter. It doesn't matter how it is altered. They are still not allowed. Doesn't really make much sense to me either as they provide as much protection as a mask for others you may come into contact with. They look like they would provide just as much "stoppage" of your breathing particulates as a mask. But they say no neck gaiters so I would not get my hopes up.

Kevin_W

A neck gaiter is still a neck gaiter. It doesn't matter how it is altered. They are still not allowed. Doesn't really make much sense to me either as they provide as much protection as a mask for others you may come into contact with. They look like they would provide just as much "stoppage" of your breathing particulates as a mask. But they say no neck gaiters so I would not get my hopes up.

From my understanding, a lot of next gaiters are made simply for sun protection and do not stop particulates as well as a regular mask. Many neck gaiters do, but you cannot tell by looking at them so its easier just to ban them entirely.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

All the restrictions on face coverings are thanks to people who cheat (or are terribly clueless).

Whether it's a bandana that flaps loosely over the mouth, or a gaiter made of very lightweight stretchy material, or an exhalation valve... they take away most of the discomfort of wearing a mask... which makes them next to useless.

So, rather than having to check if every gaitor is two-ply cotton, they're forbidden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom