News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

Surferboy567

Yes, the concept art is quite an extensive change.....but apart from the Festival Pavilion, the replacements for Mouse Gear and Electric Umbrella and the odd new mini building or two, it looks to be about 75% landscaping. So I think there is a scenario that, should they go cheaper, it won’t be too much of a downgrade?? Am I wrong here?

Is their new concept art? Different from the one we have already?

jt04

No just the same ones. I was just referring to the ones that have been released online/at D23 in the montage videos that were chock full of them.

I think it is reasonable to deduce from magic feathers comments that A LOT of details were held out of the concept art. I had always assumed that and never bought into the doom.

The cynics always are most critical of ideas that would give Uni the most heartburn. Once seen it can't be unseen. Some may even be compensated. 💲

tirian

I know everyone is “rooting” for their least favorite parts to be cut from the Epcot overhaul, but I would strongly caution against that.

Agree or disagree with it’s contents, but the Epcot overhaul for FW that would have gone through without the pandemic was seriously masterplanned, and (while I know it wasn’t everyone’s favorite) marked the return of architecturally ambitious structures (not just showbuildings to Epcot). I’d go as far as to say that structure would have been more “EPCOT” than Mission: Space, Space 220, Rat, and Frozen combined.

While still undecided, the less ambitious plans replacing it aren’t guaranteed to be nearly as interesting or unique. (And no, rebuilding the SW quadrant isn’t on the table from what I’ve seen) In fact, some of the plans I’ve seen look like they’d belong in the West Side of Disney Springs more than Epcot.

I know some people have quibbles over the insertion of new IP into Epcot (admittedly where it rarely belongs), but remember that this project was built to have many elements for place making purposes that, if cut, could leave some very awkward gaps. I know it’s weird coming from someone that never got to know Epcot during it’s prime years, but the Epcot many of us hold onto is gone, and has been gone for quite some time. This originally planned new age of Epcot looked promising, but now I can only hope that, once it goes through its cuts, it emerges in a unique and beautiful way, even if it doesn’t look like a replica of 1980’s Epcot.
I hope it’s worthy of the 22nd century, definitely not a replica of 1980s Epcot. ;)

I think most diehard fans want Disney to recapture the ideals and aspirations of original EPCOT Center. If the original Imagineers were still here, most of the existing pavilions would’ve been gutted and improved many times by now. But they only believed in change for the better, not change for its own sake.

Chef Mickey

I totally understand people not wanting IPs in Epcot.

I totally do not understand your claim that these IPs were just "slapped on" like at a Six Flags. There's no 2D cut-out of the characters at the entrance and the rest of the ride painted matching colors. That's what Six Flags does.

Frozen got really good AAs and a heavily themed (accurate to Norway, too) queue. GotG is getting a lengthy indoor coaster with pretty innovative design and a huge, highly themed queue. If they were in MK, people would be hailing them as excellent additions to WDW.

Slapped on? That's pretty much nonsense talk.
Frozen has massive sections of unthemed walls and only a few “look here” sections with animatronics. It’s terrible and a lazy refurb. The Mickey ride is how you do a gut job of a classic ride (if you refuse to keep said classic ride :().

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Apples to apples? What were the Maelstrom guest satisfaction ratings in 1992, when the ride was 4 years old? Only then is it a true comparison to FEA as it passes the 4 year old mark.

Sorry... maelstrom has been disappointing people since 1988. The only thing it had going for it for many was “that it was a ride in WS... not another movie”... too bad they got suckered on that point too ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
While the greenery is nice... i still feel like its just boring city park. Where is the epcot awe? The uniqueness? The part that makes you feel different when you are here verse when you are walking the dog?

I go back to the lawns between the land and imagination... it could just be green hills... but instead there were amazing patterns and designs. Or the topiaries that used to be along the monorail line... or unique takes on pathways and structures..

I’m not saying duplicate those things... i’m saying add some magic and inspiration.

We can always say its better then walking around stone icebergs...

DreamfinderGuy

I know everyone is “rooting” for their least favorite parts to be cut from the Epcot overhaul, but I would strongly caution against that.
I dunno, I think I would be perfectly fine if Moana's wet floor walkway gets canned. We have interactive fountains on that side of Future World already, and they've been a fan favorite for nearly four decades now.

jt04

While the greenery is nice... i still feel like its just boring city park. Where is the epcot awe? The uniqueness? The part that makes you feel different when you are here verse when you are walking the dog?

I go back to the lawns between the land and imagination... it could just be green hills... but instead there were amazing patterns and designs. Or the topiaries that used to be along the monorail line... or unique takes on pathways and structures..

I’m not saying duplicate those things... i’m saying add some magic and inspiration.

We can always say its better then walking around stone icebergs...

Pretty sure magic feather confirmed that was and hopefully will be the plan. The artwork was intentionally vague, apparently.

jt04

I dunno, I think I would be perfectly fine if Moana's wet floor walkway gets canned. We have interactive fountains on that side of Future World already, and they've been a fan favorite for nearly four decades now.

Looks like the new water feature would function like the Oasis at DAK. If so, it makes sense thematically in front of The Seas pavilion. IMO. Perfect really.

DreamfinderGuy

Looks like the new water feature would function like the Oasis at DAK. If so, it makes sense thematically in front of The Seas pavilion. IMO. Perfect really.
You can still access the Seas normally. This is just needlessly tearing down Innoventions West and killing the symmetry of the central plaza to add in another water feature, which if you count all of Imagination's and the splash pads would be Future World's fourth.

jt04

You can still access the Seas normally. This is just needlessly tearing down Innoventions West and killing the symmetry of the central plaza to add in another water feature, which if you count all of Imagination's and the splash pads would be Future World's fourth.

Just wondering, do you have magic feather on 'ignore'?

Because the earlier post from magic feather completely obliterates the tropes going around here on what is planned for the front part of Epcot. The artwork is only an outline so to speak. Magic feather has a good track record on insider info.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom