Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

Dizneykid

I'm not going to go back and look for the specific posts, but someone had commented on the increased number of obituaries in their local papers.

I checked out today's obituaries, and yes, there are 2 - 3 pages. There are always more obituaries printed on Saturday and Sunday, because many people only get weekend editions, and they are more likely to take the time to read the whole paper on the weekend. We are also enetering a time where the old-fashioned wake for 2 days and bury on the 3rd custom is less popular. People were having more private, family only burials/cremations followed by a Memorial Service at a later date even before Covid hit. That's what I did when my parents died, and I had their obituaries in the 2 Sundays preceeding their memorial service - not in the daily paper.

So today's Sunday paper had more obituaries than usual - but only a handful of deaths were from the past week. There is a slight increase in the total number of deaths. Most were for people who had died anywhere from a month ago to over a week ago. There is no rush to announce a death if no one can attend a funeral, but people still wanted to let the public know that someone had passed.

So the trend has been to wait until the day when as many people as possible will read an obituary, which has been accelerated by the pandemic, as people who would have had a funeral/memorial service closer to the death no longer can do so. Most of them have stated that some sort of gathering will happen sometime "when conditions allow."

Not related to your comments but more funerals in general. My local newspaper was putting obituaries for everyone that ever died on their facebook feed. They got reprimanded for it because nearly none of them were covid related but it caused so much panic. They had never put obituaries on facebook before covid. They stopped doing it since the reprimand. This is why I'm careful about sources and how much news I consume per day.

FullSailDan

Got to give CNN credit reporting week old news as breaking today. Brilliant. Numbers were higher last week

Notice they don't mention Covid hospitalization have dropped 5.5% in 5 days. Plus their hospitalization capacity numbers have been the same since June. Don't mention that. Lazy "journalism" at best, click bait fear mongering at worst.

while you’re not wrong that what’s being reported officially is down, we know that the stats go through significant revision over 7 to 10 days depending on delays in reporting or delays in tests coming back etc. Florida still isn’t doing great. According to both wesh2 and the Orlando sentinel, central Florida has seen an uptick in deaths and new cases. Their articles were revised yesterday so fairly up to date and are very factual, non click batey, not sensationalized, etc.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Doesn't matter where it is. The entire state has increases in infections, hospitalizations and deaths. I do not live in a so called "hot spot" yet the numbers have steadily gone up in my community since the cases first started in my area back in March.

During that same time period, the local paper has gone from having an obituary column to having multiple obituary pages. More people are rapidly dying in my community than ever before.

I have close friends that live in various other sections of the state including the hot spots and I have received similar reports from them. This virus is spreading rapidly in the state.

This is not a local issue. As people travel the risk for infection and spread of the virus increases. By the time testing identifies someone as being infected at least a week has passed and we won't learn of the new infections for at least another week. The virus is way ahead of our testing and we can't keep up with it.

Unfortunately the state has treated this as a local issue and allowed counties and cities to create a patchwork of remedial measures. This has not worked. It a global pandemic and requires a global solution. But that is not going to happen. A national solution would be helpful but we know that will not occur either.

Therefore, due to the fact that proper public health contagious disease policies have not been implemented, the virus will continue with only limited abatement until such time as a safe and effective vaccine becomes available. And that may never happen.

In the early stage of the pandemic, we had the opportunity to contain the disease but the strict public health laws and policies that were needed were not implemented. So now we have to play the long game of mitigation, and that could take several years.

Right now I have noticed that most major retail outlets (Walmart, Target, etc.) have started mandatory mask programs along with social distancing. Now we have a chance in Florida of lowering the spread. But the spread will be complicated by the huge influx of out of state tourists who will not only contribute to local community spread but will also take the disease back to their home base.

So, we're stuck with this mess. But there might be a ray of hope. A vaccine. However, there are a lot of anti-vaxers out there. Plus how many people are going to be willing to take a vaccine that has been rushed into production? My advice is to get a good supply of high quality surgical masks and continue to practice social distancing and hand washing.

I live in one of the hot spots in the state. I agree with your comments. The 30 days "closure" was a hodgepodge of regulations. A strange mixture of businesses deemed essential. No statewide beach closures. While a few counties in South Florida were shut down, the rest of the state really wasn't. I could pretty much move around freely. People in my neighborhood don't practice any distancing when out walking, especially with their dogs.

One of the two hospitals in town is full, the other near capacity. The closest comparable facility is at least a two hour drive.

The governor has mandated a 14 day self quarantine for people traveling from certain states. How is Disney ensuring guests from those states comply with the governor's emergency order? And what about guests from states in which cases are spiking but aren't referenced in the emergency order?

Gottalovepluto

The governor has mandated a 14 day self quarantine for people traveling from certain states. How is Disney ensuring guests from those states comply with the governor's emergency order? And what about guests from states in which cases are spiking but aren't referenced in the emergency order?
Disney/UO would have a helluva time enforcing quarantine orders, that is your government’s job. Basically all they could do is report the people to the government as potentially violating quarantine regulations and omg is that a slippery slope... And reality is throughout this FL hasn’t actually enforced their quarantine...

And you want Disney to make up their own state quarantine rules? Like, you do realize FL would be amongst the first states on that list right?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Disney/UO would have a helluva time enforcing quarantine orders, that is your government’s job. Basically all they could do is report the people to the government as potentially violating quarantine regulations and omg is that a slippery slope... And reality is throughout this FL hasn’t actually enforced their quarantine...

And you want Disney to make up their own state quarantine rules? Like, you do realize FL would be amongst the first states on that list right?

Did I say that? I live in Florida. I was merely asking how Disney was ensuring guests were complying with the emergency order.

BTW, Florida IS already on the list for other states.

nickys

Premium Member
Did I say that? I live in Florida. I was merely asking how Disney was ensuring guests were complying with the emergency order.

BTW, Florida IS already on the list for other states.
In theory Disney could prevent anyone from one of the quarantined states from checking in without evidence of having quarantined first.

In practice I doubt they would.

Hcalvert

When entering FL via I-95 on July 10, I had to stop at the COVID checkpoint after just entering the state at the weigh station. They just asked where we were from, did not ask for proof, and let us go on our way. I also noticed while waiting in line that some people (who were out of state) didn't bother to even go to the checkpoint and kept driving past in the truck lane. When we were driving back on Friday (July 24), I noticed that the checkpoint wasn't there anymore. I guess they already discontinued it. 🤷‍♀️

ToTBellHop

In theory Disney could prevent anyone from one of the quarantined states from checking in without evidence of having quarantined first.

In practice I doubt they would.
They are not in the business of checking in on a person’s previous 14 days. So they just assume the guest is aware of the policy and compliant. Like hotels in every other state.

Dizneykid

When entering FL via I-95 on July 10, I had to stop at the COVID checkpoint after just entering the state at the weigh station. They just asked where we were from, did not ask for proof, and let us go on our way. I also noticed while waiting in line that some people (who were out of state) didn't bother to even go to the checkpoint and kept driving past in the truck lane. When we were driving back on Friday (July 24), I noticed that the checkpoint wasn't there anymore. I guess they already discontinued it. 🤷‍♀️

Wow really? Everyone had to check in even if they weren't from a restricted area? That surprises me.

nickys

Premium Member
They are not in the business of checking in on a person’s previous 14 days. So they just assume the guest is aware of the policy and compliant. Like hotels in every other state.
Exactly.

It’s up to FL to enforce the quarantine and put in place the necessary procedures to do so, if they have the will to do so. The fact they haven’t is telling.

3BratsToDisney

Disney is not going to play police in this for any state quarantine orders. The most they *may* do is ask if you quarantined the previous 14 days upon arrival on property. If Disney required any kind of proof it would of been stated on their website in the Know Before You go section. With online check - in being encouraged I highly doubt they are asking anyone anything at all.

Florida Health Dept confirmed last week they shut down the checkpoint on 95 as well as stopped enforcing those coming off planes to fill out forms.

TrojanUSC

Some states enforce it more and are reliant on hotels to do their part. Hawaii, for example, has hotels issuing single-use keys. If you leave your room and need to get a new key, they call the police. Obviously much trickier in Florida with so many routes of arrival.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

ImperfectPixie

I'm not going to go back and look for the specific posts, but someone had commented on the increased number of obituaries in their local papers.

I checked out today's obituaries, and yes, there are 2 - 3 pages. There are always more obituaries printed on Saturday and Sunday, because many people only get weekend editions, and they are more likely to take the time to read the whole paper on the weekend. We are also enetering a time where the old-fashioned wake for 2 days and bury on the 3rd custom is less popular. People were having more private, family only burials/cremations followed by a Memorial Service at a later date even before Covid hit. That's what I did when my parents died, and I had their obituaries in the 2 Sundays preceeding their memorial service - not in the daily paper.

So today's Sunday paper had more obituaries than usual - but only a handful of deaths were from the past week. There is a slight increase in the total number of deaths. Most were for people who had died anywhere from a month ago to over a week ago. There is no rush to announce a death if no one can attend a funeral, but people still wanted to let the public know that someone had passed.

So the trend has been to wait until the day when as many people as possible will read an obituary, which has been accelerated by the pandemic, as people who would have had a funeral/memorial service closer to the death no longer can do so. Most of them have stated that some sort of gathering will happen sometime "when conditions allow."
We saw a commercial the other day for the first time ever - one for a New England-based "burial at sea" company that seems to have branches from coast to coast.

NickMaio

Hcalvert

Wow really? Everyone had to check in even if they weren't from a restricted area? That surprises me.
I am from Ohio, which was not on the quarantine list. I am guessing that if someone was from the listed quarantine states, maybe they had to sign the quarantine declaration or they took some type of information down? I have no idea. No one seemed to be stopped talking to the checkpoint person for a long period of time--just for a minute or two.

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Not sure if this has been mentioned in other threads but they are pushing back the reopening of several resorts do to the "current environment":

7/29 - Caribbean Beach
8/24 - Yacht Club
9/21 - Grand Floridian
10/4 - Polynesian
11/1 - Art of Animation

Boardwalk and Beach Club will remain closed until further notice

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom