HHN Not Happening

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Can't blame people for thinking it would happen when they started selling tickets, mazes were under construction, and calls were put out for casting. Clearly Universal did plan to open it this year, but changed their plans.
its obvious it was never going to happen. you cant do halloween events with a pandemic going on.

Disney Analyst

This is probably what happened.

Park Ops and Horror Night teams were told to keep things moving while the execs and decision makers kept an eye on the numbers, and did more research on if they could modify the event in any way to run safely. I assume the horror nights team were presenting ideas and modifications to try and make the event happen in a COVID world.

Suddenly, very recently I think they found their decision.

They either finally saw how the numbers were trending, how hard it would be to manage the parks in the dark at this event, and how they would take a severe financial hit due to attendance restrictions. Add in the fact that screaming in an enclosed space is just a disaster waiting to happen, the writing was on the wall. And they clearly finally came to that decision internally, at last.

Perhaps they were hopeful, to a fault, but I think we’re all on the same page now.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

So you are saying Universal never planned to do the event but still started the process to hire people for it?
The executives with real power? Yes because they cancelled it. The stupid park opps people who thought it was going to actually happen? No. that is why they started building stuff until it was shut down. you can't do Halloween Haunts safely in a theme park during a pandemic.

Tom Morrow

The executives with real power? Yes because they cancelled it. The stupid park opps people who thought it was going to actually happen? No. that is why they started building stuff until it was shut down. you can't do Halloween Haunts safely in a theme park during a pandemic.
Those "stupid park ops people" were doing what the execs told them to do, until they told them to stop.

ToTBellHop

All these people congratulating themselves on somehow knowing a month ago that FL’s Covid numbers would soar should send their resumes to the CDC, state and federal government agencies, or, at the very least, upper level management at Disney or Universal. They could use your prognosticating abilities.

Any idea what numbers will look like in NYC by January?

Thelazer

Original Poster
This is probably what happened.

Park Ops and Horror Night teams were told to keep things moving while the execs and decision makers kept an eye on the numbers, and did more research on if they could modify the event in any way to run safely. I assume the horror nights team were presenting ideas and modifications to try and make the event happen in a COVID world.

Suddenly, very recently I think they found their decision.

They either finally saw how the numbers were trending, how hard it would be to manage the parks in the dark at this event, and how they would take a severe financial hit due to attendance restrictions. Add in the fact that screaming in an enclosed space is just a disaster waiting to happen, the writing was on the wall. And they clearly finally came to that decision internally, at last.

Perhaps they were hopeful, to a fault, but I think we’re all on the same page now.

They knew the number forecast 3 months ago.
No one wanted to believe it.
They knew it once the parks reopened and DID NOT hit there "Limited" cap projections.
But no one did anything still.

Then they chopped off half the staff in a fire sale attempt to cut costs.
(But no one thought about who / what was being chopped)

While spending tons of money, building an event that wasn't going to happen.. because?

I'll make it real simple.

Those who DID get let go a few weeks back should be brought back in ASAP to clean up the mess.
Those who are still there.. need to be gone, like right now.

Disneyhead'71

They knew the number forecast 3 months ago.
No one wanted to believe it.
They knew it once the parks reopened and DID NOT hit there "Limited" cap projections.
But no one did anything still.

Then they chopped off half the staff in a fire sale attempt to cut costs.
(But no one thought about who / what was being chopped)

While spending tons of money, building an event that wasn't going to happen.. because?

I'll make it real simple.

Those who DID get let go a few weeks back should be brought back in ASAP to clean up the mess.
Those who are still there.. need to be gone, like right now.
Not true. And bordors the Kingdom of Bat Guano Loco.

What is the point in coming here and spewing nonsense?

Thelazer

Original Poster
They didn't just cut a bunch of positions?
They didn't know how bad the projections were looking?
Cap's didn't fill?

Which part is nonsense... because it happened.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

So you think the carpenter should have looked around and told their boss "this ain't happening so why do it?" Life does not work that way, you do until you are told not to do as long as they are paying you a wage.
The carpenter never should have been hired in the first place because the event was never going to happen.

ToTBellHop

No one knew 3 months ago what would be happening NOW in FL. Just stop.

In late April, NYC was the hotspot and the nation hoped everything would improve by early summer. I remember Fauci saying “summer vacations may be possible.”

Well, people are taking summer vacations, but I doubt Fauci advises it.

Impressive that folks here know more about epidemics than epidemiologist.

Overheard at CDC meeting:I know we've spent years studying this but there's this facebook post that makes some great points...”

JoeCamel

The announcement that the event was cancelled came 48 days before the first night and after the Tribute store had been set up.

This was a last minute decision.
I don't think anyone would debate the decision was made after prep had started but some of these builds start in March so plenty was done.

They proceeded as if they could do the event until it became clear there was no way to be safe and they wouldn't cover costs. Then they stopped - Friday

lebeau

Lot of people eating crow in this thread today lol. "It's happening. They are building mazez"

I had a lot of conversations with people over the last couple of months during which I attempted to temper people's unrealistic expectations. They tended to go like this:

Excited HHN fan: A guy on Twitter said he was interviewed for a scare actor role. HHN is totally happening!

Me: Just because they are hiring doesn't necessarily mean the event will happen. It means Universal is planning on it happening. Things can change between <insert month> and September. Remember, Mardis Gras was canceled in progress. Plans change.

Excited HHN fan: Tickets are on sale! It's happening.

.... and scene!

Having butted my head against that wall several times for months, I take no joy in having been proven right. I wish the event was able to move forward and I feel for the people who had to cancel their plans.

"Empathy" is the word of 2020. We need more of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom