US Cinemas Are Reopening Slowly.

brodie999

Original Poster
Yep looks like Tenet is opening first internationally.

That is awesome!! I know how people think movies will be delayed even further. But remember, these are all predictions for now. A lot of things may change within the coming months. I want to say thank you for hoping I'm right about what I said. Now I can guess you hope I'm right about predictions being predictions for now.

Prince-1

Just give me Bill and Ted Face the Music on streaming services at this point.

So Bill and Ted will be released simultaneously in the theaters and VOD on September 1st. I personally don't think it will be released in the theaters but I'm good with watching it from my living room.

tenor.gif

Tony Perkis

So Bill and Ted will be released simultaneously in the theaters and VOD on September 1st. I personally don't think it will be released in the theaters but I'm good with watching it from my living room.

View attachment 485823
tenor.gif

Prince-1

So with the surging cases of coronavirus it does not look like new movies are going to be in the theater anytime soon. Disney just took off Mulan from the schedule completely and pushed back all the Avatar and Star Wars movies by a year. Sorry to say that things are definitely not going back to normal no matter how much we want it.

Mouse Trap

So with the surging cases of coronavirus it does not look like new movies are going to be in the theater anytime soon. Disney just took off Mulan from the schedule completely and pushed back all the Avatar and Star Wars movies by a year. Sorry to say that things are definitely not going back to normal no matter how much we want it.

Maybe if we could handle ourselves a little better in the states. Theaters in other countries are quite open especially in Asia. South Korea just had a $20M box office weekend.

The Avatar slot was taken by another Disney live action film. Curious what it'll end up being.

Focus for Disney has 100% got to be on keeping the current Marvel schedule in place which now indicated Mulan sadly goes to D+ or (hopefully) sometime 2021.

Last edited:

Prince-1

Maybe if we could handle ourselves a little better in the states. Theaters in other countries are quite open especially in Asia. South Korea just had a $20M box office weekend.

The Avatar slot was taken by another Disney live action film. Curious what it'll end up being.

Focus for Disney has 100% got to be on keeping the current Marvel schedule in place which now indicated Mulan sadly goes to D+ or (hopefully) sometime 2021.

Mulan is not going to go to D+. To much money is invested in it to be sent there.

Darkprime

Disney most likely have "point of no return" dates in mind when they decide they cant wait any longer to release these movies in theaters and just dump them on VOD. I dont think those dates are in 2020 but maybe? If Black Widow still cant release in November I think they'll start seriously considering VOD they may delay it one more time to early 2021 and just pray the oxford/moderna vaccines are ready before then. But if we get to the 2021 dates and they still cant get released then I think they would have to seriously consider VOD.

BrianLo

I think tentpoles are only looked at for dumping if there is a backlog of even bigger tentpoles. But production has thus far been almost as impacted and quite a lot of the mid tier stuff was dumped to VOD.

If production hums back up for the next 6-9 months and studios still can't get a tentpole in theatres maybe... but really, apart from Mulan having had a large marketing campaign that is now waning, putting it away for a year is a better bet. I honestly think Mulan could have been their biggest film this year.

I just don't see them ever thinking VOD is a better idea for a possible billion dollar film, than just keeping it in the wings and waiting. Even if that is as drastic as an 18 month delay.

Soul is interesting, I guess. Less of a for-sure theatrical release. If Disney didn't have Fox this wouldn't be that difficult though, Disney only has three films left on the slate for 2021.

Mouse Trap

I think tentpoles are only looked at for dumping if there is a backlog of even bigger tentpoles. But production has thus far been almost as impacted and quite a lot of the mid tier stuff was dumped to VOD.

If production hums back up for the next 6-9 months and studios still can't get a tentpole in theatres maybe... but really, apart from Mulan having had a large marketing campaign that is now waning, putting it away for a year is a better bet. I honestly think Mulan could have been their biggest film this year.

I just don't see them ever thinking VOD is a better idea for a possible billion dollar film, than just keeping it in the wings and waiting. Even if that is as drastic as an 18 month delay.

Soul is interesting, I guess. Less of a for-sure theatrical release. If Disney didn't have Fox this wouldn't be that difficult though, Disney only has three films left on the slate for 2021.

I'm betting New Mutants will be the sacrificial lamb to test theatrical releases in the USA regardless if all theaters across the country are open. I think even 60%-70% theaters and this one opens.

Ripken10

I'm betting New Mutants will be the sacrificial lamb to test theatrical releases in the USA regardless if all theaters across the country are open. I think even 60%-70% theaters and this one opens.
I agree (as long as nothing changes drastically between now and then). I doubt Disney is expecting the numbers to be up to par, and the situation gives an excuse built in. At the same time, while unlikely, you never know how consumers may react to the first movie in such a long layoff. There may be just enough pent up demand to make it a bigger "hit" then it otherwise would have been. It's almost a situation where they can't really lose either way.

BrianLo

Agree - and really it may in a way work out well for them. There is literally nothing to see in theatres. Our theatres have been open for 8 weeks. I'd definitely go see New Mutants by default.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom