The Red Button Option

nickys

Premium Member
An oldie but goodie has resurfaced, with a jaw dropping addendum.

Pro, to his credit, appears to have been onto something...

“Re-surfaced” is an odd word to use to describe posting your own article. 🤔

And I’m particularly intrigued that you believe Iger tried to sell the domestic parks (DLR and WDW) in case of the possibility of a pandemic. What was the evidence for that?

WDW Pro

Original Poster
You're forgetting that hte $1.7B/mo are the expenses occurred with a full staff and all attractions running. Expenses during the shutdown and even now are considerably less.

Also, they put a halt on all the capex expenditures (and only recently started to spend to restart the nearly completed projects).

They're still I'm excess of a billion. Utilities, maintenance, landscaping... all of that is massive and essentially locked in place. Spaceship Earth must be temperature controlled 24/7 365. Most attractions must be cycled periodically even when closed. They've hot many square miles of property to maintain every single day.

Just4Pics

They're still I'm excess of a billion. Utilities, maintenance, landscaping... all of that is massive and essentially locked in place. Spaceship Earth must be temperature controlled 24/7 365. Most attractions must be cycled periodically even when closed. They've hot many square miles of property to maintain every single day.

Just curious, what would happen if SSE wasn't temperature controlled?

DVCakaCarlF

They have not maintained the property to standards, from my observation of the Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, and other common roadways.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just curious, what would happen if SSE wasn't temperature controlled?
1595534405943.gif

lazyboy97o

“Re-surfaced” is an odd word to use to describe posting your own article. 🤔

And I’m particularly intrigued that you believe Iger tried to sell the domestic parks (DLR and WDW) in case of the possibility of a pandemic. What was the evidence for that?
A pandemic is the sort of instability that makes theme parks undesirable. A pandemic was not the specific reason for trying to offload the parks.

Hold on...Bob Iger tried to spin off the parks? The same parks he put SWGE, TSL, etc?!??
Yes.

nickys

Premium Member
A pandemic is the sort of instability that makes theme parks undesirable. A pandemic was not the specific reason for trying to offload the parks.

Yes.
So Iger thought there was going to be a pandemic and tried to sell off DLR and WDW? When was this exactly, that he predicted the catastrophe that we’re in the middle of right now?

Nubs70

You're forgetting that hte $1.7B/mo are the expenses occurred with a full staff and all attractions running. Expenses during the shutdown and even now are considerably less.

Also, they put a halt on all the capex expenditures (and only recently started to spend to restart the nearly completed projects).
No I did not forget about the impact of staffing reductions. I does cost quite a bit of money to keep assets in mothball status. Additionally, the $6B in liquidity is being used to fund the entire $DIS empire. Even is WDW costs are cut to $500MM/month, there is alot of other $DIS divisions that are not making money and debt that still needs to be serviced.

lazyboy97o

So Iger thought there was going to be a pandemic and tried to sell off DLR and WDW? When was this exactly, that he predicted the catastrophe that we’re in the middle of right now?
No, he thought the parks were an unstable, mature business that cost too much to operate, required too much continual investment and had no room for growth. A pandemic is an example of the sort of instability to which theme parks are highly susceptible.

Nubs70

Not maybe selling off DLR and WDW but sure as shinola why he gave the other Bob his job.

nickys

Premium Member
No, he thought the parks were an unstable, mature business that cost too much to operate, required too much continual investment and had no room for growth. A pandemic is an example of the sort of instability to which theme parks are highly susceptible.
OK, but Gary Snyder says in his addendum to his article that Iger tried to sell them specifically because of the possibility of a pandemic.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom