The Red Button Option

the.dreamfinder

Probably not much of any but I would rather take what I can and jump ship from China. China is going to be a disaster.
There was a now deleted blog written by an ex WDW CM turned opening day SHDR manager called Thanks Shanghai. He wrote a whole post about how the Chinese management thought SHDR could never be as good as the other resorts and how SHDR CMs who trained at WDW and DLR prior to opening were quitting en masse due to the demoralizing culture.

TrainsOfDisney

I'm both surprised, and not surprised, that this Splash theme wasn't leaked before hand. Probably like you said, it was on the backburner and not thrust into the spotlight until 2020.. but you'd think something so big would leak somewhere.

I’m guessing there have been a variety of rethemes proposed for several years. In Kevin Raffery’s book, he mentions how Tony Baxter had a plan for an Atlantis retheme of the subs for example. That was a real plan. If someone had leaked that plan it wouldn’t have been false information... but that plan never happened and Nemo did.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s always the case with inside information, a lot of it is hearsay, I mean who knows who’s giving him the information, but the most important question is how high up is the inside person. After taking the free imageering in a box course by khan academy the most important lesson Disney teaches them during brainstorming process is that they NEVER have a bad idea, they just shelf it for future use, just because it doesn’t happen now, gives it a higher chance they might do it in the future. The funny thing is that rumors in the theme park business is just a huge river flowing in this direction sooner or later.
You basically encapsulated the reality of all Disney rumors since the dawn of the interweb....

It’s not that there aren’t plans, studies and rumors...it’s that “inside information”
Is fed by overzealous middle management and WDI more often than not that have zero input into actual decisions.

The ideas are real - they’ve got no shot. TWDC is a tightly controlled autocracy at the top. Nobody spends a meaningful penny outside the board room. We all know the stories since 1994 ish.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm hearing talks are beginning with third party vendors holding leases and contracts for businesses on property. There may need to be emergency measures to protect them from exiting the resort. It looks like some businesses are viewing the numbers moving forward as unsustainable.
Ok...

I’m not an “insider”...but you’re making me kreskin here. I said in April/May that 25% or 50% attendance is a non-starter. I’m shocked they even bothered to this point. Playing the game to see if the Feds throw money at them.

It’s the basic economics of the place. Not rocket science.

But if you do share some interesting tidbits...I’ll forgive you for spewing hoax theory about the pandemic. I have a feeling even those in the Alamo on that will fall away now...

the.dreamfinder

I'm hearing talks are beginning with third party vendors holding leases and contracts for businesses on property. There may need to be emergency measures to protect them from exiting the resort. It looks like some businesses are viewing the numbers moving forward as unsustainable.
What resort are we talking about?

el_super

This is the kind of rumor that sounds plausible on paper, but will fall apart given any serious scrutiny.

I generally find it doubtful that any business would be considering bailing on a Disney contract. Even if the numbers look bad for Disney moving forward, they would still look a whole lot worse without them. There aren't a lot of opportunities for say, Landry's to bail on restaurants inside the park and think they would make more money setting up shop on I-Drive

Lilofan

This is the kind of rumor that sounds plausible on paper, but will fall apart given any serious scrutiny.

I generally find it doubtful that any business would be considering bailing on a Disney contract. Even if the numbers look bad for Disney moving forward, they would still look a whole lot worse without them. There aren't a lot of opportunities for say, Landry's to bail on restaurants inside the park and think they would make more money setting up shop on I-Drive
International Drive where the convention center and many hotels and dining that cater to business and convention travel? That's pretty much non existent and millionaire owner Harris Rosen who owns major convention hotels in Central Florida advised he is laying off approx 50% of his staff by the end of July.

Sir_Cliff

Wouldn't it be more an issue of the businesses bleeding money with the current level of attendance and them not seeing things getting better anytime soon? This whole thread is largely based around the idea that Disney is concerned about running out of money and considering desperate measures, so it would stand to reason that in an emergency such as the present smaller companies would rush to offload anything that was draining cash such as expensive restaurants and shops to operate at WDW.

lazyboy97o

I’m guessing there have been a variety of rethemes proposed for several years. In Kevin Raffery’s book, he mentions how Tony Baxter had a plan for an Atlantis retheme of the subs for example. That was a real plan. If someone had leaked that plan it wouldn’t have been false information... but that plan never happened and Nemo did.
This just gets you into the weird definition of ”plan”. How far along in the design process does something need to be before it’s a real plan?

el_super

Wouldn't it be more an issue of the businesses bleeding money with the current level of attendance and them not seeing things getting better anytime soon?

It could be, I suppose. Is Disney forcing them to remain open while the parks are open? Do they have to maintain a certain capacity level? I thought I read recently that the group running the restaurants in Mexico were laying off people, so didnt really think Disney was holding any of the vendors to any performance standards.

Sir_Cliff

It could be, I suppose. Is Disney forcing them to remain open while the parks are open? Do they have to maintain a certain capacity level? I thought I read recently that the group running the restaurants in Mexico were laying off people, so didnt really think Disney was holding any of the vendors to any performance standards.
This is where I imagine they'd almost have to be in talks with third-party vendors operating on property. Whatever agreements were in operation before the shutdown would presumably need to be significantly revised to be sustainable in light of how low crowd levels will likely be for the rest of the year at least.

DVCakaCarlF

This is where I imagine they'd almost have to be in talks with third-party vendors operating on property. Whatever agreements were in operation before the shutdown would presumably need to be significantly revised to be sustainable in light of how low crowd levels will likely be for the rest of the year at least.
If there are any talks, it’s probably to see what it will take for all of these small shops in WS to open up.

It is typical that industry for the landlord and tenants to agree on hours of operation, CAM fees, cost sharing, and revenue sharing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If there are any talks, it’s probably to see what it will take for all of these small shops in WS to open up.

It is typical that industry for the landlord and tenants to agree on hours of operation, CAM fees, cost sharing, and revenue sharing.
Where’d you get that?
What news out of Orlando/the world (shy of La La Land) would indicate “ramped up openings” is the next prudent step?

techgeek

What resort are we talking about?
I would assume the Walt Disney World Resort.

I would assume any and all of them. The long term tourism travel / attendance challenges are not going to be unique to Florida. Or the United States, for that matter.

I think many of these 3rd parties might be close enough to folding entirely that the Disney contract doesn’t matter... because there isn’t a feasible path to the long term at the moment. Better to bail and buy a few months for your company overall, or go into ‘hibernation’ mode and shut down until business returns, whenever that is.

No business catering to tourists can survive years of no tourists, unless you have very deep pockets going in. How many tenants at the Springs or 3rd parties in the parks have those kind of reserves?

Last edited:

Nubs70

Is this limited to resorts? Or does this include Disney Springs?

The Profit did a segment a few years back with a popcorn shop at DS or maybe back to DTD. The revenue sharing model stated WDW received 35% of gross.

Seeing the vendors at DS are coming up on 2 months of operating and looking at the balance sheet in respect to the storm clouds on the horizon, vendors are coming the conclusion that continued operations are not sustainable and are coming to the conclusion that it is better to close shop before they lose everything.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Is this limited to resorts? Or does this include Disney Springs?

The Profit did a segment a few years back with a popcorn shop at DS or maybe back to DTD. The revenue sharing model stated WDW received 35% of gross.

Seeing the vendors at DS are coming up on 2 months of operating and looking at the balance sheet in respect to the storm clouds on the horizon, vendors are coming the conclusion that continued operations are not sustainable and are coming to the conclusion that it is better to close shop before they lose everything.

It definitely includes Disney Springs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom