News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

hpyhnt 1000

Again, conceptually, it sounds good, but how do you keep it from turning into BestBuy showroom?

But would that be the worst thing, considering how neglected Disney let Innoventions become? A Best Buy showroom or Apple store sounds a heck of a lot better than the black curtains, abandoned hallways, and meet and greet backdrops that Innoventions had become. At least an Apple store is bright, airy, and popular. And it fits the concept of EPCOT a lot better than an overpriced bar on stilts. I can't even object about it using a third party company given Disney and EPCOT's long history of corporate sponsorship.

What @CastAStone proposed should be easily achieved and exactly what the area can be. If anything, the idea of Communicore/Innoventions is even more relevant than ever today. People love the idea of trying and "experiencing" products before they buy them. Set up the area as a big experience center. Let folks bring in their trade show booths for a period of time, and voila, you've instantly turned the area into something relevant, thematically appropriate, and interesting, and at virtually no cost (if anything, Disney should be able to make a bit of money).

Or, partner with a university's engineering program or with a science museum and let them use the space for exhibits or displays or experiments. Imagine the goodwill generated by headlines of "Disney highlights STEM careers at theme park". I know the whole "Disney is not a museum!" argument gets batted around a lot, but in this case, a literal museum of technology breakthroughs or something would be a massive improvement over the black void there now.

Or, how about charting the technological breakthroughs of Disney film making? Just off the top of my head, you could have a section on the development of the multi-plane camera system (combine it with an area where people can "draw" their own animation panels), another area showing how Pixar developed and advanced computer animation, and maybe another area focused on 360 LED screen technology like Disney and Lucasfilm are using for The Mandalorian. Fits EPCOT and provides all kinds of Synergy® with Disney franchises.

Or, set up a permanent area based off The Imagineering Story, but with particular focus on the ways WDI pushed technology to build the parks, complete with an expanded blue sky area showing off upcoming attractions. Heck, you could basically just plop in the parks and resorts display from D23 and rotate it out every two years. And since we've moved The Epcot Experience stuff over here, that would free up Odyssey to go back to being a food space and become a "floating bar" on the water - win, win!

This. Is. Not. Hard. There's absolutely no excuse for leaving the EPCOT core so neglected for decades, especially when there's so many cost effective and easily implemented ideas.

*sigh*

tirian

But would that be the worst thing, considering how neglected Disney let Innoventions become? A Best Buy showroom or Apple store sounds a heck of a lot better than the black curtains, abandoned hallways, and meet and greet backdrops that Innoventions had become. At least an Apple store is bright, airy, and popular. And it fits the concept of EPCOT a lot better than an overpriced bar on stilts. I can't even object about it using a third party company given Disney and EPCOT's long history of corporate sponsorship.

What @CastAStone proposed should be easily achieved and exactly what the area can be. If anything, the idea of Communicore/Innoventions is even more relevant than ever today. People love the idea of trying and "experiencing" products before they buy them. Set up the area as a big experience center. Let folks bring in their trade show booths for a period of time, and voila, you've instantly turned the area into something relevant, thematically appropriate, and interesting, and at virtually no cost (if anything, Disney should be able to make a bit of money).

Or, partner with a university's engineering program or with a science museum and let them use the space for exhibits or displays or experiments. Imagine the goodwill generated by headlines of "Disney highlights STEM careers at theme park". I know the whole "Disney is not a museum!" argument gets batted around a lot, but in this case, a literal museum of technology breakthroughs or something would be a massive improvement over the black void there now.

Or, how about charting the technological breakthroughs of Disney film making? Just off the top of my head, you could have a section on the development of the multi-plane camera system (combine it with an area where people can "draw" their own animation panels), another area showing how Pixar developed and advanced computer animation, and maybe another area focused on 360 LED screen technology like Disney and Lucasfilm are using for The Mandalorian. Fits EPCOT and provides all kinds of Synergy® with Disney franchises.

Or, set up a permanent area based off The Imagineering Story, but with particular focus on the ways WDI pushed technology to build the parks, complete with an expanded blue sky area showing off upcoming attractions. Heck, you could basically just plop in the parks and resorts display from D23 and rotate it out every two years. And since we've moved The Epcot Experience stuff over here, that would free up Odyssey to go back to being a food space and become a "floating bar" on the water - win, win!

This. Is. Not. Hard. There's absolutely no excuse for leaving the EPCOT core so neglected for decades, especially when there's so many cost effective and easily implemented ideas.

*sigh*
Bravo.

lazyboy97o

*sigh*
It is hard when you are greedy and controlling. Innoventions was supposed to be like CES but like so much related to Disney it became expensive and mired in bureaucracy. Letting companies bring their trade show booths is exactly what should have been allowed, instead they had to make an expensive, multiyear commitment to something designed by Walt Disney Imagineering, that most budget conscious of design firms. Would letting Google relocate The Google Assistant Ride for a year have been the worst thing that could have happened?

DoleWhipDrea

When it comes to the idea of what CC/Innoventions is, the necessity for keeping things updated on a regular basis is key. If a company doesn’t have anything new to show, their area gets old fast.

The reality is that Apple doesn’t need Disney to showcase their products. They have stores in about every single decent mall, as do so many other companies - or at least it’s easier to just sell their stuff at a national retailer. Having to pay what Disney demands, without much of any guarantee of a real ROI, doesn’t make the model attractive to outside companies.

The problem with the corporate sponsorship model is that a company has to actually want to partner with Disney and keep paying up to maintain their presence in the parks...and Disney has to also want them to sponsor in the first place. Iger and Chapek have used the parks for synergy, merchandising IP as much as possible. In order for an attraction like Innoventions to return, the higher ups would need to value something other than this and be willing to quite literally share the stage.

It’s truly a shame. EPCOT Center was built to inspire humanity and create a brighter tomorrow. Those intentions have mostly washed away...and IMHO, the world needs them now more than ever.

Haymarket2008

Thoughts? Is this legit? It seems about right. And, honestly, apart from the Festival Center, it doesn’t seem like a WHOLE lot will be significantly changing?? At least, when looking at the concert art given.

Expo_Seeker40

I took this aerial and played with it.

I'm just sayin....

2.jpg

jt04

Thoughts? Is this legit? It seems about right. And, honestly, apart from the Festival Center, it doesn’t seem like a WHOLE lot will be significantly changing?? At least, when looking at the concert art given.

I never thought the steps were anything that would survive beyond the concept stage because of the tripping hazard and accessibility issues. I doubt anything is approved yet. But flatter to save money seems inevitable. Sadly.

nickys

Premium Member
Nope to Future World name. Splitting into lands may also be under reconsideration. IMO.
That’s contradictory surely? If they don’t keep the Future World name then they need to re-name the different areas. If they want to retain the new names then they’ll need to do something to distinguish them.

My guess is they simplify what was to be the Moana water feature to be some new landscaping, including some water. There’s “Nature”.

“Celebration” was the hub part, so add the statue, do something with the razed part of Innoventions West and there you have it.

And then “Discovery” to the East. Dunno what they do to denote it but something cheap and cheerful.

There, voila! They have a new(ish) area, formerly known as Future World, ready for the 50th.

I can only hope their plans are better than this, but right now I’m not optimistic. 😪😪😪😪

jt04

That’s contradictory surely? If they don’t keep the Future World name then they need to re-name the different areas. If they want to retain the new names then they’ll need to do something to distinguish them.

My guess is they simplify what was to be the Moana water feature to be some new landscaping, including some water. There’s “Nature”.

“Celebration” was the hub part, so add the statue, do something with the razed part of Innoventions West and there you have it.

And then “Discovery” to the East. Dunno what they do to denote it but something cheap and cheerful.

There, voila! They have a new(ish) area, formerly known as Future World, ready for the 50th.

I can only hope their plans are better than this, but right now I’m not optimistic. 😪😪😪😪

If projects have to be cancelled they likely are considering a new name that encompasses all of what was Future World. Time will tell. Long term this might be for the best. The lands concept seemed forced to me and restrictive to future ideas (no pun intended).

'Discovery' is generic enough to cover any concepts but still doesn't give the area a mission statement.

hpyhnt 1000

I took this aerial and played with it.

I'm just sayin....

View attachment 485318

Looking at your concept and the one @marni1971 posted a while back of the alternative that kept the Communicore buildings intact, I increasingly shake my head at how shortsighted the initial redesign was. Demolishing perfectly good structures to build something with compromised functionality, less floor space, questionable scale, and seemingly outrageous cost is just... it perfectly sums up how creatively bankrupt and financially irresponsible WDI and the upper management are at this point.

It's especially true because, if I correctly remember my history from Martin's CC tribute, the CC buildings were designed so they could be easily and seemlessly expanded outward as needed, all the way to the monorail loop if necessary. Imagine if WDI had taken that concept and ran with it? There's so many possibilities:
  • A central complaint of Future World was a lack of shade. How about a CC expansion where a modern glass canopy or greenhouse (something a la Singapore's Gardens by the Bay ) radiated out from the existing building? You get the best of the outdoors and indoors, with protection from Florida thunderstorms and extreme temperatures while still allowing for real trees and plants to grow. Done right, the transition between indoor and outdoor could be almost seamless. Could even design it so the monorail goes through a section of it.
  • You know what might be kinda cool? A permanent exhibit on green architecture where the building gradually gets "deconstructed" the further you go. Not only could it highlight the design and engineering aspects of a building, but also new building materials and construction techniques that make our infrastructure more resilient and environmentally friendly.
  • On a more basic scale, just do a complete gut job of the existing CC buildings, expanding as needed, but include a massive green roof across the entire complex, with gardens and paths and exhibits on solar and green energy and infrastructure. And, yeah, could even put a bar up there. Combine it with some new landscaped berms, plant walls, elevated walkways, and ramps and you have the basis of a truly integrated and revitalized central core that's green, modern, and visually stunning from all angles, including the monorail (imagine the F&G mosaic they could do), all while reusing existing infrastructure.
  • How about an actual new ride? Even the addition of a Fantasyland style dark ride would have been a welcomed addition. Or, if we want to go a bit less blue sky, move an updated Carousel of Progress over - it makes more sense in EPCOT anyway.
If there's one thing that comes out of this pause in transforming EPCOT, please let it be the realization that there's value in reusing ALL the existing CC buildings. The plan should always have been to revitalize and refurbish, not demolish and replace.

Last edited:

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

Tweet is gone, what did it say?

WowFactor

*sigh*
👏👏👏

RSoxNo1

If projects have to be cancelled they likely are considering a new name that encompasses all of what was Future World. Time will tell. Long term this might be for the best. The lands concept seemed forced to me and restrictive to future ideas (no pun intended).

'Discovery' is generic enough to cover any concepts but still doesn't give the area a mission statement.
Yes, I have long since been a fan of Discovery in the name. The D23 names are all missing a preposition (of) but I would accept, "World of Discovery". I also really like the idea of Discovery Expo or Discovery Exposition to lean into the World's Fair vibe.

As for saving the "vibe" of EPCOT, I'd really like to see them lean into adding some new S.E.A. characters to what is currently known as Future World. A Seas redo would allow for it as would a minor update to Living with the Land. Heck, I could also see the Guardians becoming S.E.A. characters under certain circumstances.

jt04

Yes, I have long since been a fan of Discovery in the name. The D23 names are all missing a preposition (of) but I would accept, "World of Discovery". I also really like the idea of Discovery Expo or Discovery Exposition to lean into the World's Fair vibe.

As for saving the "vibe" of EPCOT, I'd really like to see them lean into adding some new S.E.A. characters to what is currently known as Future World. A Seas redo would allow for it as would a minor update to Living with the Land. Heck, I could also see the Guardians becoming S.E.A. characters under certain circumstances.

Perfect. I think there could be some excellent continued synergy between Joe and potentially James C/Lightstorm along these lines. Interesting!

S.E.A. really could work here. Such a versatile IP.

Last edited:

Clamman73

I don’t know why they just don’t make all of Future World “Discovery Showcase”...you could make an argument all the pavilions are ‘discovery” like and it keeps Epcot a sort of two distinctive halves Park....otherwise those three parts they want to make it seem so blurred as to which part you‘re in.
Whether an area is called Discovery, Celebration, Nature....it doesn’t further the importance of the pavilion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom