News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

Flugell

"Well, I had to stop SOMEWHERE."

Oh, don't you miss when people were just plain idiots in the parks? Ugh, those were the days, my friends.
Don’t know if it was intended, but I’ve just looked up the lyrics to the song. Definitely appropriate!

Once upon a time there was a tavern,
Where we used to raise a glass or two.
Remember how we laughed away the hours,
Think of all the great things we would do.
Those were the days my friend,
We thought they'd never end,
We'd sing and dance for-ever and a day,
We'd live the life we choose,
We'd fight and never lose,
For we were young and sure to have our way.
Lalala lah lala, lalala lah lala
Just tonight I stood before the tavern,
Nothing seemed the way it used to be.
In the glass I saw a strange reflection,
Was that lonely soldier really me.
Through the door there came familiar laughter.
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh, my friend, we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't want a CM to come up and admonish someone for drinking a few sips of water while walking along and only takes their mask off for this to happen. That is ridiculous.

Well, then, that someone should stay home.

Your post leaves out the context that a person who sips while walking might be walking by someone else, thus breaking the distancing without a mask rule.

If you want a sip of water, move to where you're not near anyone. Stop there. Lift mask. Sip. Put mask back on. Proceed.

If you're qualm is that someone can't continually sip every few seconds, then take a longer drink when you stop.

If you don't want to stop and take longer drinks and can only find comfort by constant sipping while walking... stay home.

Disone

I don't want a CM to come up and admonish someone for drinking a few sips of water while walking along and only takes their mask off for this to happen. That is ridiculous.
First off they're not going to admonish someone. They going to ask them to put the mask back on. That's it. Let's not make this bigger than it's going to be. Second of all it is clearly being abused by guests who we're walking around with a drink in hand and their mask off.

Also the amount of guests who are wearing a mask but just around their chin is unbelievably High. Enforcement needs to be over the mouth and nose or get out of the park. Everyone absolutely has a right not to wear a mask but a business also has a right to not let them in.

The rules are clearly stated everywhere. So if you don't want to wear the mask then don't come. Until this clarification it was a huge loophole that someone could just walk around with a soda bottle in their hand or a cup of a beverage of some sort, or a snack and have their mask off.

Parker in NYC

Don’t know if it was intended, but I’ve just looked up the lyrics to the song. Definitely appropriate!

Once upon a time there was a tavern,
Where we used to raise a glass or two.
Remember how we laughed away the hours,
Think of all the great things we would do.
Just tonight I stood before the tavern,
Nothing seemed the way it used to be.
In the glass I saw a strange reflection,
Was that lonely soldier really me.
Through the door there came familiar laughter.
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh, my friend, we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.

Intended! One of my favorite songs.

Touchdown

They said WDW was leaving money on the table staying closed

They said the economy would come roaring back if we just opened again

They said I was a minority alarmist for not wanting to go

They were wrong, Beaches may be packed, National Parks too, but the public views them as safe because (in their mind) you physical distance at places like that, no one goes to WDW expecting wide open spaces, everyone knows about the endless packed queues and walkways. Add to that the high cost to go, the severely diminished offerings and it’s no wonder people are staying away.

Turns out for the first time in a while Americans have surprised me in a good way. Unfortunately, TWDC is going to take a massive PR and Financial hit. The company looks terrible in all of this, and to fix financial issues will cost further PR problems and vice a versa.

Parker in NYC

They were wrong, Beaches may be packed, National Parks too, but the public views them as safe because (in their mind) you physical distance at places like that, no one goes to WDW expecting wide open spaces, everyone knows about the endless packed queues and walkways. Add to that the high cost to go, the severely diminished offerings and it’s no wonder people are staying away.

Turns out for the first time in a while Americans have surprised me in a good way. Unfortunately, TWDC is going to take a massive PR and Financial hit. The company looks terrible in all of this, and to fix financial issues will cost further PR problems and vice a versa.

You weren't the only one. For every poster here who says they'll break the quarantine rules if necessary, there are a thousand people in "the real world" who won't. I pray every night to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that this holds true.

Jrb1979

Its the same here where I live. Beaches are packed and the hiking trails are busy too. Most people are looking for free things to do. Even the US regional parks aren't doing well.

sbunit

There is no easy win or black and white answer for Disney in this disaster. They obviously have major financial issues they have to address which pushes them to remain open and keep the valve open so the money can trickle in and keep the bleeding at a minimum. They also have to contend with the PR behind all this. For them it's a juggling act and they have the unenviable position of deciding which poison they have to pick. As a small business owner, I understand their perspective and don't fault them in what they're doing/struggling with because I understand people DON"T HAVE TO GO to Disney. Disney isn't forcing anyone to go and is keeping their doors open for those who feel comfortable visiting the parks, and more importantly, to keep their business afloat. Sustained prolonged closure realistically is just not an option.

Touchdown

There is no easy win or black and white answer for Disney in this disaster. They obviously have major financial issues they have to address which pushes them to remain open and keep the valve open so the money can trickle in and keep the bleeding at a minimum. They also have to contend with the PR behind all this. For them it's a juggling act and they have the unenviable position of deciding which poison they have to pick. As a small business owner, I understand their perspective and don't fault them in what they're doing/struggling with because I understand people DON"T HAVE TO GO to Disney. Disney isn't forcing anyone to go and is keeping their doors open for those who feel comfortable visiting the parks, and more importantly, to keep their business afloat. Sustained prolonged closure realistically is just not an option.

The place was dead, I was done with the park by 2pm!

That looks like an amazingly positive statement doesn’t? Well it’s not, heres what that suggests to non park super fans:

-You only need to spend 1/2 day in a park to “do it”
-Even with no park hopping, you only need 4 days at Disney World
-You’re spending over $100 for 6 hour experience
-I should make plans to have dinner and another activity for nights in Orlando
-Why should I pay so much to stay on property when I’m going to go elsewhere every evening

I’ll say it again, the brand, bubble, and their pricing structure long term is getting hurt every day parks stay like this. It’s also really hard to say it’s only this way because of the virus but then claim the parks are safe and devoid of the virus. Since the 1990s WDW has been seen as a full day hectic 6-7 day vacation experience in this country, if they loose that expectation with the average American they could loose countless profits.

robhedin

That looks like an amazingly positive statement doesn’t? Well it’s not, heres what that suggests to non park super fans:

-Why should I pay so much to stay on property when I’m going to go elsewhere every evening

I’ll say it again, the brand, bubble, and their pricing structure long term is getting hurt every day parks stay like this. It’s also really hard to say it’s only this way because of the virus but then claim the parks are safe and devoid of the virus. Since the 1990s WDW has been seen as a full day hectic 6-7 day vacation experience in this country, if they loose that expectation with the average American they could loose countless profits.
It is what you get out of it.

I was there last week, and arrived at both Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios a 15-30 minutes before they opened, and left as they closed. Spent the full day at both parks, and had a great time. Epcot was a different story (arrived at opening, left about 6pm).

Did I enjoy it and find it "worth" the price: Yes.
Will I go back? Yes, already scheduled another trip in August.

Admittedly, I'll agree with your points about being able to do "everything" means that I don't need as much time at WDW, and I do question the value of staying on property at the moment. Dinner outside the parks I'm not sure is a huge issue (as a guest), since I get a much wider selection of food options and prices albeit at the cost of having to have transportation to get there; of course the restaurants at Disney Springs are still available.

Since returning, and friends hearing about my experiences, I've already had two friends make plans to go down; one family is there now and one heads down this weekend.

sbunit

I couldn't agree with your last paragraph more. I cancelled my 2020 trip because the "experience" will not be there for us. The lack of crowds is certainly a win for many people (I mean who likes to deal with crowds). But minimal crowds along with a minimal Disney experience is a deal breaker for us and I'm sure for many other visitors who pay top dollar expecting the Disney experience. That's why I believe once a vaccine hits the market (and it will in 2020) Disney will open things up further in hopes of recouping the rest of the market and get back to business as usual. I just can't see them functioning with these limitations for the long term regardless of what the media and social media thinks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom