DVC Re-Sale Purchase

aliceismad

SSR and BLT were the best for maintenance fees but BLT has a higher upfront cost and the MFs have gone up. If you don’t travel at peak DVC times or mind staying at SSR that’s your best bet for total cost. We bought at BLT because we wanted to have it as our home resort and it had lower MFs back in 2011 when we bought in. It was also $90 a point resale. My only regret was not buying twice as many points back then and then renting half my points out each year to cover the MFs on both contracts.
We are 50/50 on the concept of "buy where you want to stay" vs. "buy what's cheapest." If we're buying where we want to stay, my preference would be to buy in at BCV or BWV, but given the inflated prices given the shorter contract end, it seemed like the poorest value when I ran the numbers in May/June. On the other hand, SSR is a good value, but I've read that more and more people are finding it difficult to book stays at resorts other that their home resort, especially given that we're a family of 3 and would likely be looking for studios. If we went multiple times every year, I would be fine with buying SSR and staying there when other places were unavailable, but since we would still only plan to visit once a year or once every two years, the convenience of being in a better location and/or with a better pool/amenities is appealing.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
We are 50/50 on the concept of "buy where you want to stay" vs. "buy what's cheapest." If we're buying where we want to stay, my preference would be to buy in at BCV or BWV, but given the inflated prices given the shorter contract end, it seemed like the poorest value when I ran the numbers in May/June. On the other hand, SSR is a good value, but I've read that more and more people are finding it difficult to book stays at resorts other that their home resort, especially given that we're a family of 3 and would likely be looking for studios. If we went multiple times every year, I would be fine with buying SSR and staying there when other places were unavailable, but since we would still only plan to visit once a year or once every two years, the convenience of being in a better location and/or with a better pool/amenities is appealing.
For pools, SSR's 2 feature pools, 3 splash pads and 5 total pools rate pretty highly to me. It's not Stormalong Bay but it's a pretty solid pool resort.

aliceismad

For pools, SSR's 2 feature pools, 3 splash pads and 5 total pools rate pretty highly to me. It's not Stormalong Bay but it's a pretty solid pool resort.
That's true, and I've never explored all of SSR, so it's probably not fair for me to say the amenities don't stack up. It is just so large, and also the themeing is not our top choice. The location near Disney Springs is nice for dining though. DH likes the range of restaurants there.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
If you buy enough points, the 1 bedroom units are usually the last to book. We own at SSR, and love it there, but like to try the otheres as well. We have gotten BCV twice, and BWV 3 times during Food & Wine in September, all in the last 5 years. All in a 1 bedroom, as that is what we prefer anyway.

aliceismad

If you buy enough points, the 1 bedroom units are usually the last to book. We own at SSR, and love it there, but like to try the otheres as well. We have gotten BCV twice, and BWV 3 times during Food & Wine in September, all in the last 5 years. All in a 1 bedroom, as that is what we prefer anyway.
Good to know. I've been mostly weighing studio availability because there are only three of us, and my daughter is only 5, but as she gets bigger (and undoubtedly wants to bring a friend), a 1 bedroom might make sense.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Good to know. I've been mostly weighing studio availability because there are only three of us, and my daughter is only 5, but as she gets bigger (and undoubtedly wants to bring a friend), a 1 bedroom might make sense.
It’s my DW and I almost always by ourselves (our kids are grown and married), and we still prefer the 1 bedroom for all the extra amenities. Feels more like a vacation than just being in a hotel room.

correcaminos

Be careful, you'll be going from studio to 2 bedroom stays in no time lol. It is just the 3 of us but we do 2 bedrooms now and love it. Only on shorter trips do we do 1 bedrooms now. We'll do studios at PVB but get 2 connecting right now.

slipperalwaysfits

I would be fine with buying SSR and staying there when other places were unavailable, but since we would still only plan to visit once a year or once every two years, the convenience of being in a better location and/or with a better pool/amenities is appealing.

We made the decision in early May to buy DVC resale. We have passed ROFR and are waiting on the final documents. We spent significant time thinking about buying in at Saratoga but for the length of the resale contract we wanted (more than 30 years) and the amount of points (160), there wasn't enough discount at Saratoga for us to justify purchasing that over what we really wanted, Animal Kingdom!

We have heard "book where you want to stay," so I think we will be very happy at AKL. Sometimes, if we can, it might be nice to try another resort but for now, I'm just ecstatic we finally bought in after years of talking about it. Like you, we are planning on booking studios first and if we need a one-bedroom later on, we may go with that...

Club Cooloholic

We made the decision in early May to buy DVC resale. We have passed ROFR and are waiting on the final documents. We spent significant time thinking about buying in at Saratoga but for the length of the resale contract we wanted (more than 30 years) and the amount of points (160), there wasn't enough discount at Saratoga for us to justify purchasing that over what we really wanted, Animal Kingdom!

We have heard "book where you want to stay," so I think we will be very happy at AKL. Sometimes, if we can, it might be nice to try another resort but for now, I'm just ecstatic we finally bought in after years of talking about it. Like you, we are planning on booking studios first and if we need a one-bedroom later on, we may go with that...
We bought exactly where you did and the same amount of points two years ago. Have not had much trouble getting where we wanted, but gotta be honest, we have booked one bedroom's for out next trip, even though I thought I was going to go for studios. Originally I had a two bed booked with friends but they had some money issues and changed their minds, and that was left was one beds. With COVID I think I might appreciate the kitchen more!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom