MLS coming to WDW

_caleb

The strange camera in the center you speak of is Camera 1 I believe. It has the blind spot because there’s another field right behind it, so there’s really no space to further put back the stand the camera is on.
They’re getting better at switching between this Camera 1 and the ground camera below it to cover the blind spot. I’m sure it’s just a few kinks to work out.
They can’t place the camera 1 at the other side of the field at center midfield because I believe there are permanent stands in the way, as opposed to the current side that has the benches for the teams.
Yeah- that's what I figured. The drone footage shows how close the pitch is to the one beside it. I agree they're improving the switch between camera 1 and the lower camera. Probably just working out the kinks.

_caleb

Watching the Seattle/San Jose game now. They accidentally played the pop song “Meet Me in the Midde” over the PA system during what was supposed to be a moment of silence for BLM solidarity before the game. Oops!

Also, the production team seems to have fixed the Camera 1 blind spot issue.

EDIT: I noticed that there is no promotion/advertisement/logo of Wide World of Sports, WDW, or Disney anywhere during the televised game. Seems like something of a missed opportunity?

Last edited:

21stamps

Watching the Seattle/San Jose game now. They accidentally played the pop song “Meet Me in the Midde” over the PA system during what was supposed to be a moment of silence for BLM solidarity before the game. Oops!

Also, the production team seems to have fixed the Camera 1 blind spot issue.

EDIT: I noticed that there is no promotion/advertisement/logo of Wide World of Sports, WDW, or Disney anywhere during the televised game. Seems like something of a missed opportunity?

I think that’s because they didn’t want to make it a “Disney World Parks” thing. Just have the focus on soccer.
Wide World of Sports doesn’t need too much promotion, just my opinion anyway. There’s already so many tourneys/competitions there.

21stamps

FAB94AF7-76B2-462A-AD0D-087419D36879.jpeg

_caleb

Ok. Both of tonight’s games (airing on FOX networks) feature fake fan crowd audio. The games that air on ESPN don’t play this and instead use an array of mics to let the audience hear the players and coaches.

Fake fan sounds. Next they’ll just digitally insert the top-tier players, who will play from home on their PlayStation5s.

21stamps

Ok. Both of tonight’s games (airing on FOX networks) feature fake fan crowd audio. The games that air on ESPN don’t play this and instead use an array of mics to let the audience hear the players and coaches.

Fake fan sounds. Next they’ll just digitally insert the top-tier players, who will play from home on their PlayStation5s.

La Liga is doing this as well though, at least on BeIN. They’re even putting fake fans in the stands.. but haven’t quite figured out how to pull that off during closeups 😂

These are screenshots from when I was watching the game on my phone, earlier.
174AEC57-B44A-487B-A14A-17B3E78E7E20.png
BD5DFD30-573E-4F0F-98E5-D8EDBD9B8FCA.png
AE38E9B7-8CFB-4FCE-B099-4FDAC1DD2AD4.png
00EFD801-F4BD-424A-9A6C-CCB44BCAE53D.png
9DCCD3F9-D1A6-4B61-8A12-7A6A0F3481E4.png

_caleb

La Liga is doing this as well though, at least on BeIN. They’re even putting fake fans in the stands.. but haven’t quite figured out how to pull that off during closeups 😂

These are screenshots from when I was watching the game on my phone, earlier.
View attachment 483054View attachment 483055View attachment 483057View attachment 483058View attachment 483059
That’s funny! I like that they’re trying different things to “enhance” the broadcast, but I’m not a fan of the fake stuff.

21stamps

Heck of a game last night!

I didn’t see a game.. I saw a team who looked like they should be playing in a tourney with my son’s 10U travel team, not in the MLS. 🤦‍♀️
Good job to the Crew though. FCC has some work to do, hopefully adjustments will be made now that the new coach was able to observe the team during a match.

I’ve been less disgusted during a Bengals game.. which says a lot. FCC is supposed to be our shining star, not another heartache. :(

Lilofan

I agree! I promise I wasn't trying to be negative- I'm very happy soccer is back.
Something I noticed this morning watching live English professional futbol, Wolves vs Everton. Seconds before the referee blew the whistle to start play on the pitch, both team players on the pitch all kneeled for a few seconds in solidarity for Black Lives Matter as the TV commentators advised.

21stamps

Something I noticed this morning watching live English professional futbol, Wolves vs Everton. Seconds before the referee blew the whistle to start play on the pitch, both team players on the pitch all kneeled for a few seconds in solidarity for Black Lives Matter as the TV commentators advised.

The MLS teams have been doing that as well.

21stamps

I know this isn’t really a soccer thread, but based on the current situation, just wanted to say that PSG will be playing in front of live fans.. if anyone’s planning to watch.
It should be interesting. The fake sounds are somewhat ok, better than nothing, but definitely not a replacement for the sound of live fans cheering a match.

_caleb

Breaking News - DC United vs Toronto FC at WDW that was supposed to begin today at 9am EDT is cancelled due to covid issues.
This is a HUGE deal for Disney (and relevant to this board) because it might threaten the “bubble” concept. MLS has lots of players who play for pennies and are just happy to be there. But NBA players tend to be much more demanding (an have much more money at stake). They won’t abide the bubble tournament model if they don’t feel safe.

rabidstoat

This is a HUGE deal for Disney (and relevant to this board) because it might threaten the “bubble” concept. MLS has lots of players who play for pennies and are just happy to be there. But NBA players tend to be much more demanding (an have much more money at stake). They won’t abide the bubble tournament model if they don’t feel safe.

I'm confused on the bubble concept for MLS and NBA. I watched a few videos from NBA players last night, and it seems that they're put up at the Grand Floridian and that, after a couple of negative COVID tests, they are no longer quarantined in their rooms. At this point, they'll be interacting with cast members at the least. Are there other guests on property? Regardless, there is a huge amount of community spread in Florida so there is an increasing chance that staff members (or guests, if there are some) will be sick and not realize it -- asymptomatic or presymptomatic. Because from what I understand though the players are routinely tested, I doubt staff are and surely guests wouldn't be. Oh, and there was also talk of them going to the parks after hours. More chance of spread there.

So it's more of a bubble than staying at home and traveling around the country, but it doesn't seem like some sort of air-tight bubble. I get it, because them just staying on the resort premises is rough enough, they're away from their families and the comforts of home. No one wants to be quarantined in a hotel room for months on ends, that seems totally unworkable. But this just seems like it's doomed to have the bubble pierced, given the spread of the virus in the surrounding community.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Breaking News - DC United vs Toronto FC at WDW that was supposed to begin today at 9am EDT is cancelled due to covid issues.

Major League Soccer announced that today’s D.C. United vs. Toronto FC match has been postponed and will be rescheduled.
What follows is the full league statement:

Major League Soccer announced that today’s D.C. United vs. Toronto FC match has been postponed and will be rescheduled. MLS will announce details later today for the rescheduled match.
Under the league’s health and safety protocols, clubs are tested the day before each match. The results of yesterday’s tests for D.C. United and Toronto FC produced an initial unconfirmed positive COVID-19 case for one player and an inconclusive test for another player. Because of the arrival time of the clubs in Orlando, the league’s protocol called for retesting both teams this morning and to await the results of those tests prior to playing the match.
Major League Soccer will continue to prioritize the health and safety of all participants of the MLS is Back Tournament in making these decisions.​

Last edited by a moderator:

_caleb

I'm confused on the bubble concept for MLS and NBA. I watched a few videos from NBA players last night, and it seems that they're put up at the Grand Floridian and that, after a couple of negative COVID tests, they are no longer quarantined in their rooms. At this point, they'll be interacting with cast members at the least. Are there other guests on property? Regardless, there is a huge amount of community spread in Florida so there is an increasing chance that staff members (or guests, if there are some) will be sick and not realize it -- asymptomatic or presymptomatic. Because from what I understand though the players are routinely tested, I doubt staff are and surely guests wouldn't be. Oh, and there was also talk of them going to the parks after hours. More chance of spread there.

So it's more of a bubble than staying at home and traveling around the country, but it doesn't seem like some sort of air-tight bubble. I get it, because them just staying on the resort premises is rough enough, they're away from their families and the comforts of home. No one wants to be quarantined in a hotel room for months on ends, that seems totally unworkable. But this just seems like it's doomed to have the bubble pierced, given the spread of the virus in the surrounding community.
I believe the idea was that resort, WWoS, and production staff would, in fact, be tested daily. For players, there were to be multiple layers of screening- prior to travel to Orlando, quarantine upon arrival, and then daily testing. In theory, this would limit exposure. Teams are isolated from regular guests at resorts, and masks/distancing are being enforced.

During the broadcast last night, the commentators mentioned a significant number of false positive tests- that is, players and staff with positive test results which are not confirmed by additional/subsequent testing.

I really hope that false positives are to blame for the postponement of today’s game. I love having soccer back, and I really like the tournament format!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom