Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

manmythlegend

Is anyone else who is very saddened by the Splash Mountain decision having trouble enjoying other Disney things? I have loads of (too many) Disney clothes and lots of stuff in the house was bought on disney trips. Every time I go to grab my Splash Mountain mug in the morning I have a moment of happiness, then a dark cloud comes over me as I think about how Disney is destroying my number one love in all of the parks. I haven't been able to wear a Disney shirt since this was announced. I am having a serious falling out with Disney and honestly, I'm not sure it's going to end anytime soon.

Going on 5 or 6 years, WDW has been making lots of decisions against my wishes. And I've not returned since. DL, OTOH, has been a real pleasure and I'm quite sad that Splash will be changing. Is it enough to get me to stop going to DL? Probably not. There's a lot I like about that park. If they were to ever get rid of MaxPass and implement a FP+ type system, that would certainly be the breaking point for me as I am adamantly against that system. And at that point, I would cross Disney off my list except for Disney Tokyo which I will still visit when opportunities come up.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

It most certainly is art. But it's art that just isn't appreciated by the public. I know there will be a day when it is appreciated, and people will wish it didn't go away, but it will unfortunately be too late.
That’s the problem with theme parks in general. While many such as those of us here on these boards can see they objectively qualify as art, the decision makers at Disney certainly don’t and will depend on the indifference of those who are less initiated to get away with literally anything.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

That’s the problem with theme parks in general. While many such as those of us here on these boards can see they objectively qualify art, the decision makers at Disney certainly don’t and will depend on the indifference of those who are less initiated to get away with literally anything.
The whole issue that the mindset the Iger era ushered in is that the parks are only viewed as a way to advertise their films and boost revenue. They aren’t viewed as the standalone product they were conceived as.

The people that support these “modern” decisions don’t realize that they’re being exploited for money and publicity, or they do and they just don’t care. I used to be super excited for “modern” additions to the park. A few years ago, I started putting two and two together. Can’t fool me no more.

LittleBuford

I go back to the question I posed earlier, (I think in another thread): is Splash Mountain art?

If art is defined in terms of being something that triggers an emotional reaction (I'm simplifying greatly for the sake of brevity), then we might wish to call Splash a work of art, or it might be helpful for some of us to define Splash as a work of art.

If Splash is merely a flume ride, then it isn't worth saving. If splash is art, then maybe it should be saved.

What is art? In 1917, Marcel Duchamp put a name on a urinal, "The Fountain," and called it art. For years, we've also heard Warhol's 1962 depiction of Campbells' Soup cans and his depiction of Brillo Pad boxes called fine art.

Mary Blair (it's a small world) considered herself to be an artist, and her creations to be art.

Even if one accepts it as art (and I do), that’s not necessarily an argument against changing it. Historically, works of art were often altered or even replaced altogether. Michelangelo’s painting of the Last Judgement in the Sistine Chapel, for example, entailed the destruction of a whole wall of frescoes from the previous century.

Brer Oswald

Even if one accepts it as art (and I do), that’s not necessarily an argument against changing it. Historically, works of art were often altered or even replaced altogether. Michelangelo’s painting of the Last Judgement in the Sistine Chapel, for example, entailed the destruction of a whole wall of frescoes from the previous century.
Very true. I do hope there is an effort to preserve elements of the attraction, ie. releasing the audio, archiving animatronics, etc.

But with how they went about the announcement, assassinating the character of the fans who loved the ride to cover their own back, I doubt they will. I hope I’m wrong, and they make some things right.

LittleBuford

Very true. I do hope there is an effort to preserve elements of the attraction, ie. releasing the audio, archiving animatronics, etc.

But with how they went about the announcement, assassinating the character of the fans who loved the ride to cover their own back, I doubt they will. I hope I’m wrong, and they make some things right.

I hope so too.

I don't fully agree with your second point, as Disney was very careful in its own announcement not to criticise Splash Mountain or the fans. It was, rather, commentators on social media who started casting such aspersions.

Brer Oswald

I hope so too.

I don't fully agree with your second point, as Disney was very careful in its own announcement not to criticise Splash Mountain or the fans. It was, rather, commentators on social media who started casting such aspersions.
I suppose your right, but they let that happen. They bumped up the announcement to capitalize on the outrage that was relatively small.

Donaldfan1934

The whole issue that the mindset the Iger era ushered in is that the parks are only viewed as a way to advertise their films and boost revenue. They aren’t viewed as the standalone product they were conceived as.

The people that support these “modern” decisions don’t realize that they’re being exploited for money and publicity, or they do and they just don’t care. I used to be super excited for “modern” additions to the park. A few years ago, I started putting two and two together. Can’t fool me no more.
I’ve become increasingly critical over the past few years as well, but I still had a sense of optimism in there being an acceptable balance between old and new. That optimism has since been shaken by this decision. As far as I’m concerned, most “old” attractions attractions in the parks aren’t likely to be safe long term outside of TDR.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Well there is that mishap they made with inserting Iago into the Tiki Room.....the mysterious fire....and restoring it to original minus a bit of timing...I was thrilled to be rid of that partial refurb.....;)

Brer Oswald

I’m starting to come to terms with the fact that the majority just isn’t going to ever understand this property. They either can’t think critically enough or they don’t care enough about it and just go with the public opinion.

There are certain folks out there who are capitalizing on this moment to gain social media popularity. The ride is expendable to them, which is understandable. What is less understandable is the fact that people who like the ride are also expendable to them. Don’t think I don’t know what you’re doing. I’m not blind. I’m not an idiot. You’ll fool most, but not me.

I’m also just going to have to deal with the fact that ignorant people are going to call me names for loving Brer Rabbit and his wonderful adventures for the rest of my life.

But I’m not going to retaliate. The ride, the music, the characters, the story, heck even the film have taught me to be smarter than that. They’ve done nothing but create a strong emotion of love, as intended. No hate. So I won’t spread the hate, but the love and joy it’s given me.

Parker in NYC

Why not hire a team of black writers and artists who can “reclaim” the characters and make a new Song of the South movie instead of forcing Tiana (who deserves an attraction of her own) into a completely ridiculous context. A) Disney gets a new Song of the South. B) We keep Splash Mountain and our love-able characters. Everyone wins.

Donaldfan1934

I’m starting to come to terms with the fact that the majority just isn’t going to ever understand this property. They either can’t think critically enough or they don’t care enough about it and just go with the public opinion.

There are certain folks out there who are capitalizing on this moment to gain social media popularity. The ride is expendable to them, which is understandable. What is less understandable is the fact that people who like the ride are also expendable to them. Don’t think I don’t know what you’re doing. I’m not blind. I’m not an idiot. You’ll fool most, but not me.

I’m also just going to have to deal with the fact that ignorant people are going to call me names for loving Brer Rabbit and his wonderful adventures for the rest of my life.

But I’m not going to retaliate. The ride, the music, the characters, the story, heck even the film have taught me to be smarter than that. They’ve done nothing but create a strong emotion of love, as intended. No hate. So I won’t spread the hate, but the love and joy it’s given me.
Good on you. Don’t even bother with those using this situation for political gain on social media. Also, keep in mind that while social media echo chambers may seem overwhelming, you are far from alone in your defense of the attraction.

Donaldfan1934

Why not hire a team of black writers and artists who can “reclaim” the characters and make a new Song of the South movie instead of forcing Tiana (who deserves an attraction of her own) into a completely ridiculous context. A) Disney gets a new Song of the South. B) We keep Splash Mountain and our love-able characters. Everyone wins.
Now this is just common sense. If only people with ideas like your’s were calling the shots at the Mouse House.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom