Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

PiratesMansion

Pshh. If it really was JUST about instagrammable food, they're not trying hard enough.

Tokyo can make instagrammable food in their sleep themed to literally ANYTHING and people snap it up, up to and including Splash.

And its not like the US parks have NEVER attempted to do such a thing. Had the parks been open right now, there would have been literally nothing stopping them from attempting to make PATF-themed Instagrammable food.

This was JUST as much about PATF tieins as it was Splash's source material. It's naive to believe otherwise.

mickEblu

Pshh. If it really was JUST about instagrammable food, they're not trying hard enough.

Tokyo can make instagrammable food in their sleep themed to literally ANYTHING and people snap it up, up to and including Splash.

And its not like the US parks have NEVER attempted to do such a thing. Had the parks been open right now, there would have been literally nothing stopping them from attempting to make PATF-themed Instagrammable food.

This was JUST as much about PATF tieins as it was Splash's source material. It's naive to believe otherwise.

im sure Disney would like to spin it as having nothing to do with being PC and the source material since after all the ride is still open and they are selling merchandise.

Brer Oswald

There seems to be a bunch of contributing factors.
- Tie in restaurant
- Less talk of SotS at investor meetings
- Merchandise no longer has to be attraction specific, like with Splash. They can sell any and all merch related to the film.

Splash works so well in Tokyo because they have a fascination with American culture and cute characters. SotS has both of those

Brer Oswald

not sure what the differences are off the top of my head besides the different colors
8196BC93-4009-471C-B052-EE9BA3FE2F12.jpeg
D453612C-E802-4FB1-9E6B-4700A1859FC8.jpeg
EC078DD8-5F77-4D95-BBDD-CD6BC07344D1.jpeg

His face is just a bit too plump. The WDW ones match the character design better.

A105543A-1AA7-4CA5-9874-FCDC4CBF8069.jpeg

Tokyo does it even better

mickEblu

deathcab718

Maybe WDW could ditch due to the gator "stigma" after the incident a few years back. What if they re-theme and another (god forbid) attack happens? Double edged sword here.

Brer Oswald

That was possibly my favorite N64 game but I’m going to have to say Nay as well. What the heck do those characters have to do with Disneyland? lol

I don’t remember Conker though
Nothing. The trouble is, Disney has zero anthropomorphic animal IPs that fit in Frontierland. You either keep it how it is, pick a current Disney IP (like PatF at WDW) that doesn’t fit and throw out most of the current animatronics and theming, create a new story with new characters, or find an outsourced IP that’s cheap enough and still fits. Just trying to figure out a way to keep most of the good theming intact.

I could also ask, “What does Star Wars have to do with Disney?” But I guess they bought it. It fits infinitely less in Disneyland than something colourful and whimsical like Banjo-Kazooie, but I guess Star Wars is infinitely more popular 🤷‍♂️

(The Conker add on was mostly a joke. The game is deceptively too inappropriate for Disney, but the music is nice).

deathcab718

I have my fingers crossed for July 23rd, but I know I’ll be let down.

Nothing. The trouble is, Disney has zero anthropomorphic animal IPs that fit in Frontierland. You either keep it how it is, pick a current Disney IP (like PatF at WDW) that doesn’t fit and throw out most of the current animatronics and theming, create a new story with new characters, or find an outsourced IP that’s cheap enough and still fits. Just trying to figure out a way to keep most of the good theming intact.

I could also ask, “What does Star Wars have to do with Disney?” But I guess they bought it. It fits infinitely less in Disneyland than something colourful and whimsical like Banjo-Kazooie, but I guess Star Wars is infinitely more popular 🤷‍♂️

(The Conker add on was mostly a joke. The game is deceptively too inappropriate for Disney, but the music is nice).
There’s always Home on The Range... wouldn’t they have to rehire Roseanne then?

mickEblu

Don’t disagree about Star Wars or at least the direction the went with it at the park but they do own it. I think PatF keeps the theme not intact if they execute right. But what they should really do to keep the them intact is leave it alone.

Brer Oswald

There’s always Home on The Range... wouldn’t they have to rehire Roseanne then?
True. But they’re also not anthro’s. They’re on four legs. So they don’t mesh well with the current America Sings animatronics (and apparently that’s an issue for them cause that’s how they’re justifying removing a bunch of them?).

Retheming a ride like this with an IP while also trying to keep animatronics to save costs is a perplexing issue. The reason why the Brer characters were chosen was not because they wanted to make a SotS Ride, but because the characters meshed well with the animatronics and they needed they’re story for the ride. It really is “America Sings Mountain” featuring the story of Brer Rabbit, And not the other way around.

Brer Oswald

Don’t disagree about Star Wars or at least the direction the went with it at the park but they do own it. I think PatF keeps the theme not intact if they execute right. But what they should really do to keep the them intact is leave it alone.
I think it works well in Disneyland, and it won’t be a huge loss provided they keep most of the animatronics.

But it flat out doesn’t work in Frontierland, unless they plan to change the entire land to fit the theme. You can argue all day whether or not SotS fits Frontierland, but at the end of the day, they really just took the characters and created a setting that was organic in the land. The changes the music to reflect this.

With Frog Mountain, they are trying to insert the setting from the movie into a place it doesn’t fit. At Disneyland, right next to NOS? It’s a match made in heaven. At WDW, between Spanish Pirates and 1800s Western BTM, adjacent to Country Bear Hall? What?

SuddenStorm

His voice reaches some pretty wonderful notes at DL! I’m glad we’ll forever have the wonderful soundtracks, at the very least, when the rides are gone.

The problem is- so much of Disneyland Splash Mountain's audio hasn't been released in high quality yet. There's really crappy 'leaked' attraction ride through audio that's painfully bad audio quality, but Disney hasn't officially released most of Splash's audio.

Most of the queue loop was made available on the old Disneyland Forever kiosks, and the FLAC files are available online. But they left out one rendition of Zip a Dee Doo Dah- so it's impossible to recreate the entire loop.

There have been a few versions of the Splash Mountain Medley. The most 'complete' version is the one available on the Theme Parks Classics compilation CD- which has the bees rendition of Laughin' Place as well as Burrow's Lament. But the most common version leaves out those two tracks. No version of the medley has the Take Me Along Alligator, the various character audio found in the attraction, or the proper final lift audio.

It's especially disappointing when compared to Mansion and Pirates- both of which have had detailed CD's released with near complete attraction "ride through" audio and various B takes and other elements as fun extras.

Walt Disney World's Splash Mountain has had almost all of the audio files made available over the years, the quality isn't super amazing but the audio is available online.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom