Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

orlandogal22

Well, after a week and a half, I decided to sign back in to let everyone know I’m okay.

I don’t want to get too into it, as it isn’t really on topic, but I should probably explain myself a bit.

I suffer from depression and heavy insecurities about myself. I have difficulties socializing due to comments on my height and physique growing up. Because of that, all I really have are my family, the Disney Parks, and Nintendo (great things to have, but there’s a lot outside I need to interact with).

I’ve had bad thoughts for around 10 years. Most prominent were in 2011, 2016, 2017, 2019, and 2020. I just wanted to make it clear that my feeling of hopelessness is not because of a ride. It confuses me why the same people who offered me support during my breakdowns in Nov 2019 and Mar 2020 were trivializing my mental state to the result of a ride retheme? They don’t owe it to me to remember, and I realize I wasn’t acting rationally, but the other words I was called or compared to weren’t exactly called for.

Splash Mountain meant a lot to me. It single handledly reinvigorated my love for the company back in 2012. It was a symbol of hope for me. The music inspired me. As stupid as it sounds, as a person with no close personal friends, Brer Rabbit and the gang kind of helped fill the void. Ridiculous, I know :hilarious: .

I know I have a lot to work on as a person. I need to deal with my insecurities. They are making it hard to do anything and they are the main things I fall back on as reasoning for my bad thoughts.

But, I will continue to love the Disney I grew up with, and I will continue to whistle “How Do You Do” to get me through my dark times. Any idiot who wants to label me or anyone else who loves something so good natured in heart can take a hike and go find their Laughing Place.

Brer Oswald is back in his home now, and he’s sure gonna stay. (My home being here, where the name was born. Not going back to Twitter.)

I'm glad you're OK. Been thinking about you! ❤

(BTW, I hum "Feed the Birds" from Mary Poppins to myself when I'm in a dark place or whenever I'd be sick in tremendous pain with a migraine over the last 24+ years... helps me just as much as I'm sure "How Do You Do" helps you! :))

J_Carioca

Is anyone else who is very saddened by the Splash Mountain decision having trouble enjoying other Disney things? I have loads of (too many) Disney clothes and lots of stuff in the house was bought on disney trips. Every time I go to grab my Splash Mountain mug in the morning I have a moment of happiness, then a dark cloud comes over me as I think about how Disney is destroying my number one love in all of the parks. I haven't been able to wear a Disney shirt since this was announced. I am having a serious falling out with Disney and honestly, I'm not sure it's going to end anytime soon.

Homemade Imagineering

Well, after a week and a half, I decided to sign back in to let everyone know I’m okay.

I don’t want to get too into it, as it isn’t really on topic, but I should probably explain myself a bit.

I suffer from depression and heavy insecurities about myself. I have difficulties socializing due to comments on my height and physique growing up. Because of that, all I really have are my family, the Disney Parks, and Nintendo (great things to have, but there’s a lot outside I need to interact with).

I’ve had bad thoughts for around 10 years. Most prominent were in 2011, 2016, 2017, 2019, and 2020. I just wanted to make it clear that my feeling of hopelessness is not because of a ride. It confuses me why the same people who offered me support during my breakdowns in Nov 2019 and Mar 2020 were trivializing my mental state to the result of a ride retheme? They don’t owe it to me to remember, and I realize I wasn’t acting rationally, but the other words I was called or compared to weren’t exactly called for.

Splash Mountain meant a lot to me. It single handledly reinvigorated my love for the company back in 2012. It was a symbol of hope for me. The music inspired me. As stupid as it sounds, as a person with no close personal friends, Brer Rabbit and the gang kind of helped fill the void. Ridiculous, I know :hilarious: .

I know I have a lot to work on as a person. I need to deal with my insecurities. They are making it hard to do anything and they are the main things I fall back on as reasoning for my bad thoughts.

But, I will continue to love the Disney I grew up with, and I will continue to whistle “How Do You Do” to get me through my dark times. Any idiot who wants to label me or anyone else who loves something so good natured in heart can take a hike and go find their Laughing Place.

Brer Oswald is back in his home now, and he’s sure gonna stay. (My home being here, where the name was born. Not going back to Twitter.)
I’m glad to hear that you’re feeling better. You have nothing to be embarrassed about, you have a strong connection with an attraction at a theme park, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I feel the same exact way about IASW as I expressed in an earlier post you’re probably familiar with. Funny enough, I also began loving Disney like crazy in 2012 as well, since I had discovered Epic Mickey around 2011, which features a whole level based on IASW. After I played the game, I began researching the history of the attraction, and I was immediately hooked on the art style, and everything about it. It also helps that it was the first Disney attraction I was familiar with as a small child beforehand. Making fun of something someone enjoys is a vile, and horrible way to treat someone, and you certainly don’t deserve any mistreatment because of your love for a theme park attraction.

Brer Oswald

I’m glad to hear that you’re feeling better. You have nothing to be embarrassed about, you have a strong connection with an attraction at a theme park, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I feel the same exact way about IASW as I expressed in an earlier post you’re probably familiar with. Funny enough, I also began loving Disney like crazy in 2012 as well, since I had discovered Epic Mickey around 2011, which features a whole level based on IASW. After I played the game, I began researching the history of the attraction, and I was immediately hooked on the art style, and everything about it. It also helps that it was the first Disney attraction I was familiar with as a small child beforehand. Making fun of something someone enjoys is a vile, and horrible way to treat someone, and you certainly don’t deserve any mistreatment because of your love for a theme park attraction.
I was a little off when I said that Splash was the only thing to reinvigorate my love for Disney. There was one other thing, and that was Epic Mickey. If you want an explanation for my username, that’s pretty much why it is what it is.

Side Note, I love the Small World level (World of Gremlins I believe it’s called). I was fascinated with IaSW as a child, so being able to freely explore a version of it was amazing!

Homemade Imagineering

I was a little off when I said that Splash was the only thing to reinvigorate my love for Disney. There was one other thing, and that was Epic Mickey. If you want an explanation for my username, that’s pretty much why it is what it is.

Side Note, I love the Small World level (World of Gremlins I believe it’s called). I was fascinated with IaSW as a child, so being able to freely explore a version of it was amazing!
Yup! That was it, the World of Gremlims aka Gremlin Village! Oswald is also one of my favorite Disney characters, probably right after Figment. That’s so cool to hear that you were also into Epic Mickey!

Donaldfan1934

Is anyone else who is very saddened by the Splash Mountain decision having trouble enjoying other Disney things? I have loads of (too many) Disney clothes and lots of stuff in the house was bought on disney trips. Every time I go to grab my Splash Mountain mug in the morning I have a moment of happiness, then a dark cloud comes over me as I think about how Disney is destroying my number one love in all of the parks. I haven't been able to wear a Disney shirt since this was announced. I am having a serious falling out with Disney and honestly, I'm not sure it's going to end anytime soon.
I’m not going to lie, I’ve been feeling very much the same way as you. For example, I’d be very excited about the reopening of the parks under normal circumstances. Now, however, I can’t help but see a place where nothing is sacred. Despite there being plenty of times where I personally disagreed with Disney’s decision making in the past, this one cuts the deepest for me on multiple levels. While I’ll always be a Disney fan in some capacity, my optimism and enthusiasm for the U.S. parks will undoubtedly be a bit more reserved going forward.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
:angelic:

Although initially depressed with the NOT this special ride gloom and it seemed harder to take than many things however oddly,......I actually I have been enjoying and appreciating my Disney SM objects even more because of this....wearing my tshirt, displaying my snow globe in more prominent position, singing the songs in my head( often outloud much to the dismay of family working from home!!) :angelic:....ordering some more SM mementos from ebay and etsy :rolleyes:…..I am very sad about the idea of it, but since I am not there I am still hoping to get there again before it happens, and furthermore hoping it doesn't happen for a long time if ever at WDW. The thought of going there and not being able to ride it as it was is of course worse than being there when it is shut for refurbishment, because there would be no NEXT time feeling....so that's what is keeping me flapping, the thought that just maybe it will come to pass at DLR and end there for changes, not be ever done at WDW.....which will give variety and better fit in that location and then would look forward even more to checking out DLR for the differences from WDW. Leaving some Pixie Dust for you!!!:D

Disney Tinker Bell Pin - Tinkerbell - Vial of Pixie Dust

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

The day it was announced, I gathered all of my Disney Shirts (aside from the Splash ones) in a big garbage bag and was planning to through them out. For context, that’s pretty much my entire wardrobe!

After a few days of them sitting in the bag, I realized it was a brash thing to do. It’s hard, but you can still be a fan of the Disney things you fell in love with, even if you aren’t 100% on board with the company at the moment.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
The day it was announced, I gathered all of my Disney Shirts (aside from the Splash ones) in a big garbage bag and was planning to through them out. For context, that’s pretty much my entire wardrobe!

After a few days of them sitting in the bag, I realized it was a brash thing to do. It’s hard, but you can still be a fan of the Disney things you fell in love with, even if you aren’t 100% on board with the company at the moment.

Classic response vs intial reaction of the moment......Glad you did not toss on impulse!!!! ;)

Flugell

Tell me if you can listen to this without having a huge smile on your face! 🙂

Forever the best Disney song.

Thanks for making me smile!
Thought I’d add the lyrics to sing along with!
Brer Rabbit’s solo seems rather appropriate for the present situation!

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, Zip-a-dee-ay!
My oh my, what a wonderful day!
Welcoming back Brer Rabbit today.
We always knew that he'd get away!

He's had enough of movin' on now.
It's where he's born and bred in.
The briar patch is where he's headin'.

Wonderful feeling, wonderful day!

My oh my, what a wonderful day!
Plenty of sunshine heading our way.
We never doubted he'd get away!

Moving on taught him a lesson.
You've learned it well, Brer Rabbit.
Gettin' caught's a nasty habit.

Wonderful feeling, feeling this way!

It's a time for celebratin' today!
Gathered together this wonderful day!

Brer Fox and Brer Bear are gonna get it today.
That hungry gator's gettin' his way!

Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder.
It's the truth, it's actual.
Everything is satisfactual.

Wonderful feelling, wonderful day!

My oh my what a wonderful day!

Brer Rabbit Solo:

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah, Zip-A-Dee-Ay,
Home sweet home is the lesson today.
I'm glad to be here and i'm sure gonna stay!

I'm through with moving on now,
It's where I'm born and bred in,
The briar patch is where i'm headin'!
I'm back in my home now and I'm sure gonna stay!

J_Carioca

I’m not going to lie, I’ve been feeling very much the same way as you. For example, I’d be very excited about the reopening of the parks under normal circumstances. Now, however, I can’t help but see a place where nothing is sacred. Despite there being plenty of times where I personally disagreed with Disney’s decision making in the past, this one cuts the deepest for me on multiple levels. While I’ll always be a Disney fan in some capacity, my optimism and enthusiasm for the U.S. parks will undoubtedly be a bit more reserved going forward.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel. I'm trying to remember all the happiness that WDW has brought me over the years, but it all feels tinged with betrayal now. I completely agree with you about this being the deepest cut. I've been unhappy about lots of things they've done in the parks, but I got over it. But this feels different. I guess for me it's a combination of two things: I have a very deep emotional attachment to SM and some of my favorite memories revolve around it. Second, it's a magnificent ride (I have called it a work of art in other posts) and I know lots of people who have referred to it as "the perfect ride". I just can't believe that they would trash something so loved and so amazing - to make money by selling "instagrammable" food items at a Tiana restaurant, or to address criticisms of SOTS.

Brer Oswald

That's pretty much exactly how I feel. I'm trying to remember all the happiness that WDW has brought me over the years, but it all feels tinged with betrayal now. I completely agree with you about this being the deepest cut. I've been unhappy about lots of things they've done in the parks, but I got over it. But this feels different. I guess for me it's a combination of two things: I have a very deep emotional attachment to SM and some of my favorite memories revolve around it. Second, it's a magnificent ride (I have called it a work of art in other posts) and I know lots of people who have referred to it as "the perfect ride". I just can't believe that they would trash something so loved and so amazing - to make money by selling "instagrammable" food items at a Tiana restaurant, or to address criticisms of SOTS.
It is a work of art. The greatest ride they’ve ever made, and the best ride they will ever make. I’m just glad I had a chance to experience it on both coasts. It will touch me forever in ways that these new movie rides won’t touch me or anyone else for that matter.

Donaldfan1934

I agree with every word of this. The motivating factors behind this decision in particular speak volumes about how far gone the company’s mindset is and will always have me thinking “What’s next?”.

MickeyLuv'r

I go back to the question I posed earlier, (I think in another thread): is Splash Mountain art?

If art is defined in terms of being something that triggers an emotional reaction (I'm simplifying greatly for the sake of brevity), then we might wish to call Splash a work of art, or it might be helpful for some of us to define Splash as a work of art.

If Splash is merely a flume ride, then it isn't worth saving. If splash is art, then maybe it should be saved.

What is art? In 1917, Marcel Duchamp put a name on a urinal, "The Fountain," and called it art. For years, we've also heard Warhol's 1962 depiction of Campbells' Soup cans and his depiction of Brillo Pad boxes called fine art.

Mary Blair (it's a small world) considered herself to be an artist, and her creations to be art.

Brer Oswald

I go back to the question I posed earlier, (I think in another thread): is Splash Mountain art?

If art is defined in terms of being something that triggers an emotional reaction (I'm simplifying greatly for the sake of brevity), then we might wish to call Splash a work of art, or it might be helpful for some of us to define Splash as a work of art.

If Splash is merely a flume ride, then it isn't worth saving. If splash is art, then maybe it should be saved.

What is art? In 1917, Marcel Duchamp put a name on a urinal, "The Fountain," and called it art. For years, we've also heard Warhol's 1962 depiction of Campbells' Soup cans and his depiction of Brillo Pad boxes called fine art.

Mary Blair (it's a small world) considered herself to be an artist, and her creations to be art.
It most certainly is art. But it's art that just isn't appreciated by the public. I know there will be a day when it is appreciated, and people will wish it didn't go away, but it will unfortunately be too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom