Hi, long time no talk. New 50th parade cancelled.

Piebald

I will say this, though - if you're like me and you can't afford that filet mignon with lobster tail, you'd probably still like a really good cheeseburger.
Sure. But honestly for what WDW charges and what some families blow on a 7 day trip you could go to Japan for a fraction. Of course who knows how flight deals will be now in this post corona world..

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I'm curious about how Disney parade float construction compares to New Orleans mardi gras float construction. New Orleans floats roll out once/year and Disney would obviously use nightly. Some other technological differences (e.g. how they move), but New Orleans floats aren't prohibitively expensive to roll out as rarely as they do, so I've not understood why WDW doesnt do better.

In New Orleans, the studo crafts shapes from Styrofoam, covers with paper mache, and then paint. There's a huge spectrum of quality from cheap to gorgeous with LED lighting, etc.

The top floats are rolled out *one night* each year and paid for by local social groups. I dont quite understand why WDW doesn't invest in a few floats to blow people away *every day.* All I can imagine is that there's a ton of bloat at imagineering that drives up costs tremendously like on every other project.

Anyway, for those interested, New Orleans'' "Mr. Mardi Gras" Blaine Kern Sr. died. He and his father revolutionized float building in New Orleans. Apparently he once turned down a job offer from Walt himself. Interesting guy too.

rk03221

I've said it a million times, if you have the means you're better off spending like 3 days in Tokyo Disney than spending a full week at WDW. If WDW is a really good cheeseburger, then TDR is filet mignon with lobster tail.

I never understood why people choose to keep going to WDW over and over and never experiencing the other parks around the world. Theyd be amazed how subpar WDW actually is.

rk03221

There was a time when Walt Disney World actually was worth the amount of visits. Especially during the early 1990s.

Oh for sure, I went as a kid all the time and the late-90s-early 2000s were the “prime” years imo. I was a cm there from 2014-2017 and we always referred to wdw as the “cash cow” for a number of reasons. It definitely wasn’t the same when I returned years later in 2014 and felt like it was really outdated and degraded

UNCgolf

I never understood why people choose to keep going to WDW over and over and never experiencing the other parks around the world. Theyd be amazed how subpar WDW actually is.

For me personally, going to WDW is cheaper than going to any other parks around the world.

Beyond that, when I'm getting on a plane to fly to another country, going to a Disney park is not very high on my list of things to do. I'd like to go to DLP, but despite having already been to Paris once, whenever I go back there are too many other things I didn't get to do on that first trip that interest me more than visiting a Disney park. And although Tokyo Disney looks incredible, if I'm visiting Japan, I don't think I'd have time to visit a Disney park over many other things considering it'd likely be a one time trip.

Of course, I also don't go to WDW yearly (or multiple times a year) like some people do. It's certainly not what it was 25-30 years ago.

rk03221

For me personally, going to WDW is cheaper than going to any other parks around the world.

Beyond that, when I'm getting on a plane to fly to another country, going to a Disney park is not very high on my list of things to do. I'd like to go to DLP, but despite having already been to Paris once, whenever I go back there are too many other things I didn't get to do on that first trip that interest me more than visiting a Disney park. And although Tokyo Disney looks incredible, if I'm visiting Japan, I don't think I'd have time to visit a Disney park over many other things considering it'd likely be a one time trip.

Of course, I also don't go to WDW yearly (or multiple times a year) like some people do. It's certainly not what it was 25-30 years ago.

Oh no that’s totally understandable. I know families who go to wdw once-twice every year and don’t really get it personally

Piebald

Japan is incredible, possibly in the top 3 best countries in the world for tourists. I agree with Disney not being a priority when traveling abroad (I travel a lot in general so I get the sentiment of why waste a day in DLP if you're in Paris), however I'd argue TDR is very much a part of Japanese culture to an extent. It really is an incredible resort and experience and could only exist there because of their culture and society. It's the closest to whatever Walt probably envisioned. Everything seems so much more authentic and real. Seeing grown people dressed absolutely ridiculous bringing their Duffys and sitting at dinner with their Duffy in a booth. It is very genuine. It's not like here seeing some dad in a Mickey ears hat scowling at his family and complaining about how expensive everything is. The food, the level of detail, how people conduct themselves...its a bit surreal. The best CM at WDW is like a slightly tired and lousy CM at TDR, and I say that as an ex CM and big fan of WDW and all the folks who work there.

TL;DR- I totally get someone not wanting to visit another country and go to "another Disney park" but I think Tokyo is the exception.

Ninja Mom

Ok, I give up. Has anyone considered just stealing floats from another park? It doesn't even have to be a Disney park. Maybe Disney could hold a contest where people could make some floats. I'll bet they'd turn out spectacularly. During these tough times we all have to pitch in. That could be a fun thing that would lift people's spirits.

For example, this beauty could work with Frozen OR the Christmas party. The kit for this is only $250.00 That's like 1 dessert party for a family.

Something would have to be welded on top to keep Olaf from rolling off, especially if he gets into his antidepressant medication. You know how he likes to forget that he took it so he can up his dose.

46f5d66e-f8ce-4718-92de-9ec814b36251

(Don't @ me)

https://www.shindigz.com/presentati...dAail9QuIXKmf3ilzcJ2TvLeyB6fRPukaArEtEALw_wcB

~NM

Giss Neric

Also, what is the purpose of going to the 50th Anniversary next year aside from the new rides which we don't even know if these will open in time? One of the main events on Disneyland's 60th was Paint the Night and it's the most memorable one.

They better double up their projection/fireworks show to compensate the parade.

jaxonp

I've said it a million times, if you have the means you're better off spending like 3 days in Tokyo Disney than spending a full week at WDW. If WDW is a really good cheeseburger, then TDR is filet mignon with lobster tail.

95%.. everything is better except the food, imo. Cuteness is a priority over taste when it comes to food

phillip9698

Also, what is the purpose of going to the 50th Anniversary next year aside from the new rides which we don't even know if these will open in time? One of the main events on Disneyland's 60th was Paint the Night and it's the most memorable one.

They better double up their projection/fireworks show to compensate the parade.

At this point, just to buy a 50th shirt and cup i guess.

TTA94

No offense to anyone, but I guess we will believe a nighttime parade, in some way shape or form, is coming to MK when one of our trusted insiders @marni1971 @MansionButler84 @Magic Feather, to name a few, says it is.
If I had to guess, given the circumstances, it’s to early yet for any insiders to know for sure what’s going to happen. Heck even those in charge at Disney may not even know yet. Depending on how things go in the coming months, maybe late this year we might know more in regards to next years plans?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom