Politics RUMOR: Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al to Redo Hall of Presidents

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

techgeek

If they go the animatronic way. Who wouldn't love a accordian playing weird al figure!? I mean come on! A Presidential Polka if you will!

I think the natural instinct when you hear something like this is to imagine animatronic Al in a wacky shirt and FDR breaking out into a rap, but I am pretty sure that wouldn’t be the direction. In fact, I would hope that Lin or Al wouldn’t ‘star’ in the show at all, or be represented beyond perhaps some voice work... if they did it would risk basically being ‘HoP: Under New Management’, and I think we can all agree that would be catastrophic. ‘Weird Al’s Presidential Adventure’ doesn’t work either.

I can definitely imagine a direction they could take the show that was involving a bit of levity, an overall inclusive theme, and their certain flair of media savvy that is basically the ‘intent’ of the HoP script but without the baggage. No polkas. No rap. Not making a ‘joke’ of the concept, because the concept of the show has always been strong, and serious. Taking politics out of the picture but retaining the patriotism. Maybe the whole thing becomes a mini-musical but it just works somehow.

Both those guys put a lot of heart in anything they do. If it happens, I feel confident in saying they wouldn’t make it about themselves.

Mainahman

I think the natural instinct when you hear something like this is to imagine animatronic Al in a wacky shirt and FDR breaking out into a rap, but I am pretty sure that wouldn’t be the direction. In fact, I would hope that Lin or Al wouldn’t ‘star’ in the show at all, or be represented beyond perhaps some voice work... if they did it would risk basically being ‘HoP: Under New Management’, and I think we can all agree that would be catastrophic. ‘Weird Al’s Presidential Adventure’ doesn’t work either.

I can definitely imagine a direction they could take the show that was involving a bit of levity, an overall inclusive theme, and their certain flair of media savvy that is basically the ‘intent’ of the HoP script but without the baggage. No polkas. No rap. Not making a ‘joke’ of the concept, because the concept of the show has always been strong, and serious. Taking politics out of the picture but retaining the patriotism. Maybe the whole thing becomes a mini-musical but it just works somehow.

Both those guys put a lot of heart in anything they do. If it happens, I feel confident in saying they wouldn’t make it about themselves.
Oh absolutely. The quality both put out is amazing. It actually could really bring back some true edutainment for sure. Both are very much active in programming for children as well. I'm kinda intrigued all around by the concept.

GladToBeHear

What's not inclusive in the current theme? What baggage is there? How do you take politics out of a show about politicians?

Matt_Black

Basically slowly moving away from Walts love of American history.. slowly ish

Walt greenlit Ben & Me, which featured a talking mouse coming up with bifocals & the Declaration of Independence.

Weird Al would be nothing without the artists he parodied. And he wouldn't be relevant without them either. Some genius.

Most of Shakespeare's plays were adapted from previous works.

No Name

There are some narrow-minded views here regarding a less serious replacement for the HoP. Hamilton is not “dumbed down” history, it’s history presented relatively and creatively. Ultimately it’s leagues more effective than the static snoozefest that is the HoP.

I’m hoping this rumor comes to fruition.

TrainsOfDisney

Ultimately it’s leagues more effective than the static snoozefest that is the HoP.

As someone who has seen Hamilton and Hall of Presidents and Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln live within the last year I think they are all extremely well produced theatrical productions.

I personally was deeply moved by all 3 and wouldn’t describe any of them a snooze fest.

Goofyernmost

I have found this thread to be extremely entertaining 😃 and frightening 😱 at the same time. Entertaining because of the clever comments and suggestions and bone chillingly frightening because it appears that so many think that this is even slightly serious.

Hint: In the world of electronic communications... Emoji's are your friends. :)

techgeek

What's not inclusive in the current theme? What baggage is there? How do you take politics out of a show about politicians?

Without making this discussion political...

HoP is the only attraction I’m aware of that a significant percentage of the population actively boycotts on the principle of “not wanting to even listen to him.” And that has applied to both the current and former keynote speakers of the attraction.

I don’t personally agree with that sentiment and think the show has always risen above the individuals portrayed, but it is a fact. The baggage is that with the current format, the sitting president plays a significant role. Because the occupants of the office have become increasingly polarizing, focus of the show should return to the office and institution itself... not the individual.

Tom P.

Without making this discussion political...

HoP is the only attraction I’m aware of that a significant percentage of the population actively boycotts on the principle of “not wanting to even listen to him.” And that has applied to both the current and former keynote speakers of the attraction.

I don’t personally agree with that sentiment and think the show has always risen above the individuals portrayed, but it is a fact. The baggage is that with the current format, the sitting president plays a significant role. Because the occupants of the office have become increasingly polarizing, focus of the show should return to the office and institution itself... not the individual.
I think it is ludicrous that people cannot bear to hear from someone they might disagree with or might even disagree with. But even if we are going to cave to that, you could just rework it to remove the role for the current president without fundamentally altering the attraction.

Touchdown

Yes! This fictional take on American history is “way out there”

How is it way out there? There are historical inaccuracies, something’s are clearly made up to try and help support the authors intent/make a good subplot (Hamilton never spoke out about slavery, Angelica was already married when she met Hamilton and that family had male heirs, Hercules Mulligans spying on the British was mainly possible because his slave was willing to report British officers conversations, Phillip Hamilton was not Alexander’s only son) and there are plenty of timeline simplifications (which are much more excusable in adapting something to theatre.) It is surprisingly historically accurate in its field. If you are looking for a way out there view of American History check out The Greatest Showman.

ElvisMickey

There are some narrow-minded views here regarding a less serious replacement for the HoP. Hamilton is not “dumbed down” history, it’s history presented relatively and creatively. Ultimately it’s leagues more effective than the static snoozefest that is the HoP.

I’m hoping this rumor comes to fruition.

I would have to agree and disagree. Unless you know your history, you would have no idea what is actually happening in Hamilton. It’s entertaining but definitely not dumbed down. On the flip side, at least the Hall of Presidents actually teaches you something. AND, it was an attraction that Walt tried to create for Disneyland. It still amazes me when that curtain pulls up and you see all of the Presidents standing there. This is the kind of attraction that makes Disney, Disney and not just another Six Flags. But I’m also a history nerd so I’ll take HOP and American Adventure over something that just goes fast any day.

Last edited:

TiggerDad

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom